2018-12-16 07:29:23

Hello guys. I have received an asus laptop as a gift, however it came with endless OS preinstalled. As it seems, this os has no accessibility preinstalled and I, being an absolute beginner, have no idea how to install a screen reader on a linux based system nor do I know if it can be done on this particular OS. I managed to start the system and do the required settings using seeing AI and I am on the main desktop. I have tried some commands that I found on the internet for installing orca but it seems I don't have the right OS for it to work. My question is: is there a way to install windows 10 on that laptop? I want to completely remove endless crap OS and install windows 10 but it seems it doesn't recognize my usb in the boot menu. With a lot of tinkering and help from some friends we managed to find the boot menu in the bios but there's no usb option. The only options are endless and uefi but both run endless OS it seems. So what do you think are my options? is there an accessible way   of installing windows 10 on it?

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2018-12-16 18:38:11 (edited by Chris 2018-12-16 18:39:04)

You may have to burn the Windows 10 setup files to a DVD and boot off that. Once you've done that, press control+windows+enter to start Narrator. You may or may not need to connect a USB sound card or headset to hear audio.

Once Windows is installed, you may or may not need to install drivers. I'd suggest looking for Windows drivers on the website where you purchased the computer just in case you do end up needing drivers for networking, audio, etc. You may also want to look on the Asus website and search for your computer model.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2018-12-16 19:29:54

Hi,

How did you create said usb? from what you have said, I'm guessing this is a fairly new laptop, in that case it might not have an oldschool bios, but eufi firmware without compatibility support enabled or it might be non-existant. Does your usb drive have an efi folder on it? if not, try creating a usb drive using rufus and make sure you select mbr partition scheme for eufi, not mbr partition scheme for bios/eufi csm. Audio drivers are hardly needed on windows 10; on most laptops audio and everything else works out of the box. Notable exception are mac books. I know, conflicting advice, how a pc is supposed to boot is a mess, every motherboard / laptop has it's own querks.

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2018-12-16 19:41:27

hi. I created the bootable usb using rufus, I tried mbr for uefi and gpt for uefi but it isn't recognized. I received a DVD with the drivers in the paccage but there seems to be no way to eject the drive, the laptop has no way to open it externally, no buttons on the edges or on the back. I've tried to press all the buttons on the keyboard but neither of them work. It might be necessary to get an external DVD drive and connect it but I don't know if it will work. I received this one as a gift so I might just go to service and have them install windows on it, it seems to be the only option.
Well, now I know never to get a laptop that has endless OS on it, it's a pain in the back to get rid of it.

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2018-12-16 21:19:49

Hi,

If you can give some more details, like exact model number of the laptop, I might be able to find some info. The dvd drive thing probably won't help you here; it can be useful especially for older pcs because often the dvd drive boots before the harddrive, usb disks do not. If your laptop doesn't have a dvd drive, it will probably not work. I've red stories that certain usb drives don't always work for booting an operating system, it's a longshot but maybe another usb drive will fix the issue. Have you tried booting other laptops with the usb drive?

Roel
golfing in the kitchen