2018-12-15 18:51:01

First, we really need more exploration, racing games and rpgs with alot of story going on, that is what I will most likely buy.
Second, ok, you are gonna add ethernet.
How about people who can not hard wire things to their router?
For example, I once hard wired my laptop to the router and the wify was not working and my wired connection was not, either.
I have a suggestion, if wify is too expensive, add some type of connectivity, like micro usb, download updates with our computer and download the files manualy.
Another suggestion, make available 2 or 3 usb slots, one for sticks and the other for wify dongles, or keyboards, because some might be inclined to play with a keyboard.
And, my final question, what will the Sonus do when no stick is plugged in and we turn it on? Because from what I understand, it is like game boy, plug and play.
If you want to get in touch with me for any help, beta testing or anything, just send me a forum email and I will get back in afew hours or maximum a day, or for faster comunication, skype me at simpaticulalexandru and I will answer probably in afew minutes after you sending the message.
One more time, congrats for your project and thanks for making one of my dreams true, a gaming device designed especialy for us.
smile Keers and best regards.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2018-12-15 19:18:43

Hi Angel,

Yes wifi would be preferable, but unfortunatly I dont have an answer on whether it will be included yet or not, although I personally would prefer it to be.
More USBs shouldnt be needed as a keyboard wouldn't be usable, the games are designed to use the built in buttons. A USB hub could always be plugged in for special cases.
If no USB is plugged in the Sonus wil not do anything at all. And if a USB is plugged in that doesnt not contain a game the Sonus will turn to its Media Player mode, where you can navigate the folders and files on the usb and play the MP3s.

2018-12-16 00:13:48

hi,
i have some suggestions that i would like to share:
first, python scripts + an api should be added (at least sooner since people can start developing their games)
second, don't you think the number of buttons is a bit low? a simple joystick has 8 buttons + 4 direction type, + "stop" and "start" buttons
third, networking capability should be added for online games (like a chess between 2 players).
forth, the games should be signed by the names of the developers (in order to have a better secure system).
fifth, beside all of these, like playstation 4, it should be possible to ban the devices who run stolen games and don't let their devices to be turned on cause they used pirated games.
sixth, if python gets added, then it is possible to have ai models trained and executed on the device and ran on the device, thus the ai will be better (something like mxnet should be able to be executed on the device).
seventh, if wifi gets added, then how would we type in the information for a wifi network to connect to them?

2018-12-16 00:37:36

Yeah, as post 28 said, a keyboard can be necessary for typing, so, yeah.
For me at least, a micro sd slot would be the best, with an usb too because cards are not sticking out from the device.
And if it is a media player and you can navigate folders, what voice will you be using? Do not think you can use Sapi.
And I am curious, is the system based on Linux or something, or is it developed from scratch?
Like I said, I am sooo excited for this product and I have lots a questions and suggestions.

2018-12-16 08:46:45

I've seen game consoles allow for typing via controller before. Might help to habe more than 3 face buttons though.

2018-12-16 09:19:22

i guess you can go through the letters with up down left and right and use button 1 2 3 4 or 5 to select the letter. it does not sound to bad for me

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2018-12-16 20:10:37

Ok, so visual studios has addresses a few issues, lets go through them:
1. The sooner python can be added the better, I do agree with this. On the console side this wont be a big task, but on the G D E it could be a bit more tricky. The sooner the work load can be shared with a third party the sooner I can consentrate on this.
2. The Sonus only has 3 less buttons than the likes of PS4 or Xbox. I dont see this being an issue, dont forget that buttons can also be combined, for example you could program a game so if you hold button 4 it completely changes the functionality of the otehr buttons.
3.The wifi issue has been mentioned once before. I think wifi would be a great benefit but to focus on the more important software aspects of the project I am trying to find 3rd party help with the PCB work, this is something I will be discussing with them. I do think it will be included in the final product.
4 and 5. The piracy system for the Sonus is mostly handled by the play store, this will hopefulyl be both a website and a phone system. Each Sonus has a serial number which must be given to the play store to download a game. This Game then comes with a key file on it that the Sonus will look for and allow the game to run if found. When a game is uploaded to the play store the user who uploaded it will be visible and possiblity even have a rating assigned to them by the players.
6. Yes python would have mnay benefits
7. Playstation and Xbox system dont require a keyboard for such things, and I didnt think it would too much of an issue for the Sonus either. Would it be too much of an issue to use the arrow keys to navigate a character selection menu to input text on the rare occasions it is needed?

I hope these answers shed a bit of light, please follow up with more questions if you feel the need. I want it to be as good for everyone as I can make it.

oh and Angel, yes the system is Linux derived. And uses espeak for TTS

2018-12-16 20:37:49

Hi.
I'm still very excited for the console, and I really hope it'll be released in the future.
For me, it will bring the following:
1. A more portable gaming experience than I have on my laptop. Yes, I do play games on my phone, but I could imagine more titles being developed to the console.
2. An easy system to understand regarding to development, which means more people can make accessible games if they wish. This is something which I look forward to dive more into. I have briefly looked at the development tool, but find it difficult to develop something without a console to test on. Maybe I should give it yet an other try? smile
3. A totally accessible game store, which only contains fully accessible games. You know you are getting something which is accessible when buying a game. Then it's up to you if you like it or not, but you don't end up buying anything which is not accessible. I think it'll take a while before many games has been developed. But I think it will grow, and the console will be more popular as it gets more and more games.
I have a few questions, which might have been asked before. I don't remember:
1. Can you only have one game on the micro SD? Then, how are you going to take more games with you? You said the console will load the game on the micro SD without the user need to select what game to play.
2. How is the progress going to be saved? On the same micro SD as the game itself?
Regarding TTS: I think it's very important to be able to have other options than eSpeak. Maybe be able to buy voices like those from Acapela and others.
I wish you the best of luck with the project. I'm following with big interest.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2018-12-16 21:28:39

for games I'm thinking of something that's like fable the lost chapters, final fantasy x, or the star ocean games. what if people are on the road can they still play with out being connected to wifi?

PSN ID: AvidLitRPGer
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AvidLitRPGer
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AvidLitRPGer
leave me a message saying how you found me.

2018-12-17 21:19:15

Thank  SLJ and flameAlchemist.

Can I ask for more detail about why you feel you didn't get into the G D E so well? the G D E  can run the games for testing so a console isn't really needed although obviously a final test would be best on the console.

and to answer your questions:
Yes only one game per memory stick, you would have to take multiple memory sticks to hold multiple games. And progress is saved on the memory stick itself. As for TTS then if this is something more people would like then it will try to be included, but obviously for now it will be very low on the priority list as the TTS is now functional where as other features such as the wifi arn't.

And to answer FlameAlchemsit, the must always be some form of connecton to the internet to play online, whether this be a wifi connection or a ethernet cable connection. I would suggest using mobile phone tethering to make use of the phone's mobile data connection, and connect to it with the Sonus via wifi, using the phone as a router.

I hope this answers your questions. Thank you for the feedback, its exactly what I was looking for. I would love to hear more opinions if possible about people think the sonus could bring to the table that they dont already have.

2018-12-18 09:17:47

Hi.
Regarding testing the game when developing:
For me, it's difficult to imagine how the game would be played on the console when I haven't seen it yet. It's kind of difficult to keep the motivation for developing a game for a console, which hasn't been released yet.
I have to take a look at the GDE again. I'm not a coder, so it's quite difficult to get used to the system. I need to practise a lot to be able to make anything playable.
Regarding the TTS: Well, we have to wait to hear other peoples opinions about this.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.

2018-12-18 12:21:44

Hi:

On the subject of TTS, eSpeak isn't the best option. So when everything else is in place, maybe include other TS  engines or replace eSpeak with with something better. As you say, since TTS is already  functional it's not a big issue at present, but keep it in mind.

When the wandering fire strikes the heart of stone, will you follow? Will you take ... the longest road?
Guy Gavriel Kay

discord: tayo134

2018-12-18 14:06:27

The 1 memory stick per game thing sounds like what mainstream portable consoles are already doing. It also sounds like these will be specifically designed memstics for the console. I wonder if support for use of a third party storage unit like an sd card could be implemented for those who don't want to lug around a dozen games and risk losing them.

2018-12-18 16:02:22

I have a question:
what is the name of the opperating system for this consoll?\

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2018-12-18 19:41:19

I mean, only one stick for the game?
If we have, for example, 64 gb sticks, would we waste one like this only for a small game?
And like others said, I can huck a stick to my keys, or to my phone case with a key ring, but can not keep alot of them with me without losing them.

2018-12-18 22:21:35

I see what you mean SLJ and completely understand, the main thing at the moment is to get feedback on the G D E to make sure its as user friendly as it can be rather than people actually producing games right now. Its still really in its testing stage.

It seems as though TTS needs a bit of attention, but as we seem to agree there are bigger fish to fry. For future reference what TTS do people prefer? preferably commercially usable.

I understand why people would prefer there to be multiple games held on 1 stick, however to main reason that it works like this is actually for piracy prevention. A game bought for 1 sonus wont work on another. But thats not to say we can't at some point have games uplaoded from the stick onto the Sonus. Instead of it being on a stick we can just have folders on the system that behave the same way. Anotehr possible future update.

2018-12-18 22:47:06

I mainly would like something like vocalizer. Apple uses it for VO on mack and iOS.

2018-12-19 17:24:50

Vocalizer would be a great choice, but I hear they are very expensive regarding to the licens.
Regarding the G D E: I will test that some more for sure, try to get better at using it and leave whatever feedback I'll get after I've hopefully get better at using it. smile

Best regards SLJ.

2018-12-20 05:07:23 (edited by defender 2018-12-20 05:11:01)

How will solo/two person  developers with little or no money to spare manage to distribute the sticks? Especially if they live in a country like Turkey or Iran? Because that's most of our developers right now...
Sounds like only Indi Devs who happen to be making an audio game or two will be able to manage it, and if their aren't that many users of the console than they may not see the point in spending more money to support that platform along with their main ones.
Thankfully their seem to be more and more game studios making audio games lately, and they also have the funds/people to take full advantage of the console's audio capabilities, plus the people who might buy the console are more likely to shell out cash for a game VS the average PC audio gamer, but we're still only getting a new release maybe once or twice a year tops.
I fully understand the piracy concerns, but wouldn't a single license per device based on hardware ID and using some kind of account based system like an app store for games work too? You can't change the ID nearly as easily as you can on a standard PC...
And how will devs patch/add new features to their games with the cartridge format as well? Their is a reason we're moving away from them...
Not to mention that I'm guessing the stick will well, stick out? That kind of takes away from portability and adds a big point of mechanical failure as well.
I think an SD would be a much better choice, even if it's internal storage only. It could even remove the need for ethernet if you do go removable, because you can just download games/firmware updates onto it with your computer and then load them that way. It doesn't even need to be larger than 32GB probably... And if you go the built in rout and add WiFi for downloading, you can avoid any ports that, with some hacking, could allow access to the firmware, switch and ps classic style.

Personally, I could handle not having WiFi and just using ethernet for updates and such, but if it's within the budget then I think multiplayer support could add allot of potential game types.
I like this console concept because of the portability and ability to support advanced audio, which is just like a phone. But it's allot cheaper which makes it easier to justify, and has physical buttons which would appeal more to console gamers and purists.
As it stands though, I don't see it having enough games to compete with mobile, because the architecture seems stuck in the early 2000s which limits developers allot, especially if new devs come on the scene again and start making games like A Blind Legend and the somethinelse games once more. I'm also guessing that the games will tend to be more closely priced to PC/console titles than mobile titles, which is also a factor.

I see allot of potential use as well though, we have a major lack of mortal kombat style fighting games, racing games, or decent sports games, and a large group of people wanting them, and these physical controls are perfect for that kind of thing, while not requiring you to buy a controller and get it working, which is a pain with versions of Windows below 10.

I think you could have saved some money by not insisting on surround sound support and such, because I tend to see this being better for simpler, fast paced arcade style games rather than RPG's, strategy titles, sims and such, but the popularity of the DS kind of disproves that notion. However this is a unique market with allot of potential buyers that grew up using PC, so who knows, your a brave guy for taking this leap...
You'll have to choose your pricepoint carefully though, most blind people are on government support, which means that, especially for kids, their more likely to have it bought for them on a holiday by someone else. Above 200USD and that will be hard to justify.
Compromises will have to be made either way though, and I understand that we shouldn't expect the world when your just one guy and we're a small, uncertain market.

2018-12-20 22:05:49

Hi Defender.

There are a lot of valid points and concerns in your message.

There will indeed be a game store, where games can be uploaded to by developers and downloaded by players. I wouldnt expect developers to have to handle the distribution. For people who dont use the internet as much I plan on setting up a phone system to also be used to purchase games and those games be sent out on a memory stick, this will all be handled by us.

I understand the concern of having games on memory sticks and I even addressed this concern once before, I believe adding the ability to download the games onto the console from the stick would help, or even program in access to the game store through the console itself. It is all possible, but as you said, I'm one guy at the moment and getting essential functionality is top priority at the moment. We could spend forever making it perfect and never get chance to release it, this is why I made sure it could be updated. When we have a revenue stream we can afford a team. and with a team more updates will come much easier.

Another aim is to introduce game development to complete beginners and start developing a communist of audio game creators, with a place to sell or give away their games easily. Hopefully this will see an increase in the games available. Of course it will take time.

Could you explain more about what you mean about the architecture limiting developers? if we can highlight the issues I'm sure we can work them out.

As for developers updating their games, they can re-uplaod them to the play store.

Your message was quite long so I hope I havent missed anything. I would like to recap what improvents this fourm has highlighted that the sonus needs:
1.Lithium-ion batteries to make it rechargable - its worth noting the unit can already run from mains power as well.
2.The abilitiy to download games from the stick to be stored on the device, and possibly a direct connection to the play store to download games.
3. Python programming capabilities + API
4. More TTS options other than espeak

Again I feel I need to stress that although I want to acomplish all of this and as soon as possible, pursuing all these goals at this stage could actually be counter productive, but please let me know if you feel I have missed anything.

I am aiming for the finsiehd unit to have Lithium ion batteries and python programming capabilities, this will get us off of the ground, and once we are off of the ground the other items on the list will be much easier to achieve.

I cant thank you all enough for this valueable feedback.

2018-12-20 22:19:04

Hi. One of the questions that has not been asked yet, when exactly will this be released? You can just give me a rough estimate. I know it is still a Proto type, but it was announced in 2014. Also, may we please have another demonstration? Thanks.

Hopefully, we'll get a fully accessible open world game someday.

2018-12-20 23:27:38

Of course most people want a release date and understandably so. The main reason this project has taken so long is the amount of time it takes to design and trail new PCBs andcomponents. Im currently in the process of seeking funding to outsource that to someone who has the equipment to progress with it quicker. Leaving me to focus on the sonus features and the G D E.
So if all goes to plan we should see more next year. And possibly a release the year after. Although ideally i'd like it sooner.

As for a demonstration. Ill see if I can make anything for the next sample game I make to test the G D E's new script feature out. (Not the python script, its something called G D E script which is just a quicker way of writing actions into events rather than selecting them one after the other)

2018-12-21 04:26:51

this sounds fun, I'd be interested in giving it a go when it comes out. The USB thing sounds like it would be a pain though, those things aren't cheap and given that half the games developed around here only keep me entertained for a few hours at best I feel like I would end up installing a game, plugging it in, playing it, ripping out the USB in disgust, deleting the game and then repeating.

I'm not sure how easy this would be but having multiple games on a single USB would be a good feature to have, many of the games that will get made won't take up all that much space anyway.

Multiplayer functionality would be a good bonus as far as I'm concerned, I think that it would be a lot more fun to play games if they were on line.

Finally, if I made a game and wanted some people to test it for me, a functionality should exist on the store to privately host a game and to have a link to it made available to me, I could send that to my testers and they could download the test version. I can see issues with trust here but I still think it would be necessary.

2018-12-23 23:17:44

I have started work on the python feature. The biggest challenge is making sure the same libraries are on both the G D E host computer and on the Sonus. So i thought it might be worth getting an idea of what libraries people would like to be installed?

at the moment I am thinking the libaries will be downloaded and installed with the GDE so thay match what is on the Sonus.

I havent thought about how libraries will be updated yet when new releases come out. Its still a pretty fresh idea at the moment.

2018-12-31 04:42:26

Pygame, and things like the random and time libs mainly.