2018-12-10 02:08:42

hi all,

i'm trying to work out which GDP device firstly has a keyboard and secondly is good enough to play the likes of swamp comfortably.

there are various versions on Amazon but i'm a bit lost as to which one to choose. could someone who is much more in the know than i am please take a look on amazon for me and give me some pointers? i need a device that is purchasable in the UK and of course works in the UK.

2018-12-11 05:52:20

Hi,
I recommend this. There are various prototypes that have been tested and this machine would be handy for swamp since the ssd is a lot quicker.

It's current available on indiagogo for less than half price.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/falc … 1-laptop#/

And here is a well known and trusted site and their review. I really like how much detail they go into regarding the build quality, performance (including any possible throttling issues).
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Topjoy-Fa … 046.0.html

I know that's not exactly what you're looking for, but after reading several peoples issues of the motherboard failing spectacularly on the GPDs,, I figured I'd give you an even better option - with and actual sata ssd, rather than EMMC (which also means a lot quicker read/write speeds. Considering this also comes with 8 gb of ram, it's a pretty amazing deal - and with models already built in preproduction, it's a surefire bet that this will actually come to fruition.

Something something something insert canine related comment here

2018-12-11 07:19:51 (edited by austingrace 2018-12-11 07:22:49)

Hello. If I were you, I would spring for the GPD win 2. I'm bias of course because that is the one I own. I honestly feel like the GPD win 2 will give a much better user experience. I was not a huge fan of the Atom powered computers.  In my personal opinion, I would only get the gpd win 1 if money was the deciding factor, but if not the 2 is the way to go in my book. I don't see why this should not be available in the UK. I'm thinking DroidBox would be the one that sells in in the UK as well. I have not owned the GPD win 1 but I know someone here has that machine. If swamp is what you are after, then the 1 "should" run it fine. I know this win 2 runs it with no trouble at all. Audio games are normally not that hard to get running compared to a mainstream game.

2018-12-11 12:19:52

I'm getting a GPD win 1, I'll do a review on it probably on the device it's self...

Power is not the responsibility of freedom, but it is actually the responsibility of being responsible, it's self, because someone who is irresponsible is enslaved by their own weaknesses.

2018-12-11 14:39:46

thanks yeah am looking at the gpd win 2. so what does the gpd win 2 have in terms of connectivity? both in terms of USB and for audio?

2018-12-11 18:57:33

The GPD win 2 has one USB type a port a combined headset jack, a USB C port, Mini HDMI and micro SD. Same as the GPD win 1

Power is not the responsibility of freedom, but it is actually the responsibility of being responsible, it's self, because someone who is irresponsible is enslaved by their own weaknesses.

2018-12-11 20:32:28 (edited by Chris 2018-12-11 20:33:58)

Actually, the Win 1 has mini HDMI while the Win2 has micro. I have the GPD Win 1 and it runs audio games just fine. Having said that, I'd go for the GPD Win 2 if money isn't an issue. It has better sounding stereo speakers, a faster processor, faster RAM, a faster 128 or 256 GB M.2 SSD which is supposedly user replaceable, and it charges much faster than the original model. The Win 2 also has almost 10,000 mAh of power due to two 4,900 mAh batteries in the case.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2018-12-11 20:34:09

Hi,
Sounds similar to the tablet I listed above as well, which I hope you took note of.
Processor wise, it's in between the GPD win 1 and 2 with the latest generation Pentium. GPD win 2 is I believe using last years core m3 or m7.

Anyway, something for you to consider. I can't afford the win 2 - in Canadian that's right around 1000 dollars - so this is looking like a really nice alternative. Also heard of 3 1st generation having motherboard issues where it would power on and charge USB devices, but wouldn't actually boot into the bios. I hope the win 2 fixes that. I should also add that this device was tested in the UK on notebookcheck so it should work for you just as well.

Something something something insert canine related comment here

2018-12-16 01:04:53

so am looking at the gpd win 2 december hw update. looks reasonably good. anybody have this? also how would i get the likes of NVDA on this? having never installed anything windows based right out the box before i know you can somehow turn the speech on at setup but not sure. also for anybody that does have one any thoughts on what the querty keyboard is like?

2018-12-17 19:32:59

When you turn it on, wait about a minute and press windows+control+enter to start Narrator. You will go through the out of box Windows setup experience and then you can install NVDA and other applications just as you would on a standard Windows computer.

2018-12-17 19:44:13

cool stuff thanks. what's the keyboard like on it? what's NVDA like with a touch screen i've never had the oppertunity to use one before with it.

2018-12-19 07:02:12

I can't speak about the GPD Win 2 keyboard, but the one on mine is very small. It's like typing on those old cell phones. It's usable, but I'd recommend a Bluetooth or USB keyboard if you plan on typing longer documents, emails, etc.

NVDA uses touch gestures mainly to control the review cursor and object navigation. You can customize and add your own touch gestures in the input gestures dialog.

2018-12-20 13:05:24

ok so my partner has very kindly bought me a gdpwin 2 for xmas. could someone who has 1 of these give me some orientation on the device? i'm going to open it christmas day. will be something nice to look forward to. i know there are various connections switches joystick/pads controls etc on the device. could someone who knows the device tell me where all this is and what it does? i know am asking a lot and i do obviously realise and appreciate this. however considering how much this has cost her i don't exactly want to be stupid and break the device or something right on my first day lol. it's probably not as complicated as it all sounds however i would like some help with this if possible please.

many thanks guys in advance.