2018-12-11 22:49:11

Plus, rooting is needed for only some of the screenreader's functions like suspending itself when it detects a braille keyboard. Android API doesn't allow for such a behaviour.

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2018-12-11 23:16:34

Doesn't change the fact that rooting is needed for useful features like that. Without rooting, it sounds like the screenreader doesn't have much to stand on by itself compared to other options. If the most advanced and best features require rooting, then it'l bring down the appeal for many people.

Discord: clemchowder633

2018-12-11 23:39:27

True that, but from my information that's not the fault of the devs. These are just Android limitations. I will be testing everything more thorougly in some time, on unrooted environments too so I will try and tell the exact differences.

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.

2018-12-12 00:21:19

No no, it's definitely not the fault of the devs. Android limitations are limitations.

2018-12-12 16:23:03

Nuno, do you have the website_ I want to translate said screen reader to Spanish.
Changing topic, out of curiosity, did you remember Sunshine screen reader?

73 Wj3u

2018-12-12 17:35:17

If you mean shine plus, yeah, I do and I still have it somewhere on a phone.
I am not gonna root my new galaxy a5 2016 because, you know, I still have insurance on it, or waranty or what ever it is called, but I will root my Nokia 3 and see.
Btw, do you need sight to root newer samsung phones?
I know how to do that on a stock android, on older samsung phones or on other companies like older HTC if I remember right, but do not have a clue about these new, samsung phones running android 5 or abovve.
And sadly, the old group Android accessibility is dead and flooded by spambots, so, yeah.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2018-12-12 17:58:17

No you don't. At least if a phone is older than 2017, search for firmware moby samsung root and you should find the official chainfire download page. Flash the appropriate package for your phone using odin and you will be good to go. Note that it will format your data on Android 7 and above due to your encription so first back up your data. Unfortounately the package is discontinued so not available for newer phones.

2018-12-12 18:21:06

Very curious about the whole processing of rooting as I haven't done this before... and want to do it. I have a moto g5 plus I am no longer using and that I want t convert to an experimental device... but am not sure how the best way to root it might be.

2018-12-12 18:27:35

I'm sorry but rooting a phone is not possible for everyone. It's ok if it's my own phone and if I can root it without sighted assistance, but if it's a phone received by my company, then no thanks. I do, however, support this screen reader if most of it's features can be used without rooting a phone. Just to mention that rooting a phone means goodbye warranty.

2018-12-12 20:28:56

You can use the screenreader without root! I just don't know what featuures aren't working.
@electro Yeah, I remember Sunshine. I sometime use it when NVDA gets on my nerves

2018-12-13 01:17:43

And how do you doo to translate the new android screen reader, I mean Commentary? did you contact de developers or something? I want to translate it into Spanish; I'm translating Sunshine into spanish.

73 Wj3u

2018-12-13 10:07:58

I have the .xml file with all strings.

2018-12-13 11:24:48

It's inside of the apk file I guess?

73 Wj3u

2018-12-13 12:12:06

I have received it from the developers. If you really want it, you can disassemble the application. However I'm not sure about reassembling it

2018-12-13 12:22:35

Sorry to ask again, but How can I contact them?
I hope this screen reader is used internationally.

73 Wj3u

2018-12-13 12:45:13

You can contact them only through QQ, a chinese social platform

2018-12-13 14:30:09

Good point about phones received through a company, or more commonly referred to as not factory unlocked. But then again, that's why you always buy unlocked phones. Pixel2 at least was quite fair-priced unlocked from Google. Ironically, my first nexus5 wasn't even carried by my carrier at the time so I had to buy it unlocked.
In any case, if the phone's a year old, it usually doesn't matter anymore as the warranty is over.
Again though, you don't need to root to use the screenreader, just for a few features that don't work.

2018-12-15 02:39:09

yes i always buy unlocked gsm phones. i use SafeLink, a free phone service with paid data here in the united states. and it works best with unlocked phones.

2018-12-15 02:56:20

@Nuno, I've sent you a PM.

73 Wj3u

2018-12-15 10:41:01

I have replied @electro

2018-12-15 11:08:33

So, to be truly honest, the "VoiceOver equivalent" on Android, is "Voice Assistant." As we all know though, that screen reader is only on "Samsung" phones. Once Android 9 comes to devices, such as the "S8" with Samsung's "One UI," one of the most requested features from Talkback coming to VA, is the "Auto Label Reading" feature, in addition to having "finally" the Samsung keyboard being able to read "word" suggestions.

With all of the above being said, if this chineese screen reader ever gets translated in to English, that's truly a "blessing," as Android "needs" an alternative, and not just for chineese users, but for "everyone!"

Android, is, "choice!"

2018-12-15 15:02:31

This is really good, but voice assistant is far from voice over. The development is really slow, it really just feels like Samsung did it to copy Apple and nothing else. They are waiting for TalkBack to add new features so they can pull them from talkback's source and add them to VA, which would not be a problem if the screen reader was getting some new features on it's own. It was a great concept and I was really happy about it in the Galaxy talkback days, you could even say it was more responsive than TalkBack but then it seems nobody was testing the screen reader as it was growing. It's certainly an option, but it's lacking some needed things which it will probably get in Android 9. Most notably it does not support accessibility volume in Android 8 while TalkBack does.

2018-12-15 15:27:06

@Nuno I've sent you a pm.
Well, most screen readers have more or less functionality between each other. I've tested Shine Plus, was so interesting, but the development isn't going since 2017.
However, this commentary talkman screenreader to me is prommicing.

73 Wj3u

2018-12-15 22:10:26

@Electro, replied
English translation is really in progress. AssaultFreaks helps me pull it smile. Thanks for your awesome support man.

2018-12-16 05:19:03

@nuno, sent you an other pm.

73 Wj3u