2018-12-08 02:32:41 (edited by MasterChief 2018-12-08 02:37:38)

This was really sad for me to read, I rarely check the email I used for blind mice registration.
But I am checking it regularly these days because I've ordered a white cane last week and saw that I got a new email from them today.
Read on.

Blind Mice wrote:

Dear Members,
We have an announcement concerning the Movie Vault and TV listings.
All members  please read!
Beginning Saturday, December15, 2018, TV Show listings in the Blind Mice Movie Vault will be removed.
This was a very hard decision to make and we considered different avenues but in the end we made the decision to eliminate he TV Show listings in order to continue to be able to offer the movies for all of you, our wonderful members.The two factors we could not find a solution for were time and expense.
This was not an easy decision to make but ultimately it was our only option available.
When we first began offering movies over 10 years ago, SendSpace.com gave a free month of hosting for every 10,000 downloads?making the Movie Vault self sufficient.
SendSpace.com changed its policies about 5 years ago and stopped this practice. Now we have to purchase band width so every time a file is downloaded, it uses band with that we have purchased.
Simply downloading a file from the Movie Vault no longer helps to keep it operating?now your purchases with one of our many wonderful merchants at BlindMiceMegaMall.com and your contributions to the Movie Vault are needed to offset the cost of band width so we can continue to keep the Movie Vault available for you.
The Mice know that many of you help us out often and your generosity is very much appreciated.
There are also a great many that only want to get what they can for free and have never helped the Blind Mice community which has caused a drain on our resources .
We are sadden to have to remove the TV Show content from the Blind Mice Movie Vault but we have no other option if we are to continue to provide movies for you, our member.

** About SendSpace.com

Blind Mice Inc has no affiliation with SendSpace.com other than using their services to park our files for your downloading pleasure.Please note Internet Explorer is no longer supported by SendSpace.com. Please use FireFox or Chrome as your web browser when accessing and downloading files at Send Space.
Any agreements you enter into with SendSpace.com is strictly between you and SendSpace.com
We encourage you to visit SendSpace.com, read about the different accounts they offer, and choose the one that best suits your needs.
When downloading content from SendSpace.com, Blind Mice Inc takes no responsibility for the downloaded content.
All files uploaded by Blind Mice Inc are either .mp3 or .zip files.
If using SendSpace as a guest or free user, sometimes they will try to slip a different file type in on you that is full of advertising?after all they have bills to pay too.
Please be sure to pay attention to the file extension before you download a file from Send Space.
Searching the Movie Vault
There a couple of ways to search the Movie Vault for a movie or TV Show
1. Enter the search term or phrase in the Search Field.
You will get results based on the exact information entered.
For example, if you do a search for
"Christmas Story" you will get results that have Christmas Story only.
The Mice recommend using single words or smaller search phrases to maximize your results...
If you did a search for Christmas instead of "Christmas Story", you will receive many more results.
2. You can leave the Search Field blank and select a letter from the drop down box.
This will return results  showing all the movies list under that letter.
For example, by leaving the Search Field blank and selecting the letter "d" in the drop down box, your search results will be all the movies beginning with the letter "D".
3. You can combine the first two searches.
This is very good when you know a word in the title of the movie or an actor's name but do not remember the complete name of the movie.
For example, if you enter "Christmas" in the Search Field and select the letter "t" from the drop down box, you will get results with the word Christmas  that begin with the letter "t".
The search feature searches  titles and descriptions to bring you as many results as your search allows.
You can search for key words, actor names, movie genres, and titles.
We apologize for any inconvenience the removal of the TV listings might cause but we have to do it in order to be able to continue to providing the movies.
We Thank You in advance for your understanding in this decision.
Broken Links
SendSpace.com automatically removes files if they have no download activity for 45 days.
If you find a movie that says its file has been removed,
please send us an email with the name of the movie so we can get it back up for you.

[email protected]

Remember, do not use Internet Explorer when attempting to download a movie...use FireFox or Chrome instead.

To access the Blind Mice Movie Vault, you must be a supporting, active member.
BlindMiceMegaMall.com
When you are logged in, the link for the Movie Vault will appear!
It is only for supporting, active members as a Thank You for supporting the merchants at Blind Mice Mega Mall.
Some of the Christmas favorites of the MICE
They listen to them over and over again and again
Here are their favorites
Christmas Story!
White Christmas (1952)
All of The Santa Clause Movies
Miracle on 34th Street (1947)
National Lampoons Christmas Vacation
Rudolph, The Red-Nosed Reindeer (1964)
Scrooged (1988)
Frosty The Snowman (1969)
Home Alone (1990)
It's A Wonderful Life  (1946)
What are your favorites!
Remember be sure to get any of the TV listings you want before December 15, 2018

From what I understand, they are removing the TV shows and keeping the movies.
I think if I search around I can find a place with all the movies and TV shows described, but then again I may not find anything.
The problem is that I don't know where to get described TV shows from anymore.
Or to put it more into perspective, I don't know of any website that has people who are willing to describe them
Sure there is netflix, but what about HBO TV shows and the others?
I wish they find a better solution honestly, but it looks like they have already decided.

2018-12-08 02:53:38

I frankly don't understand this. Why does removing the TV listings make it easier to provide movies... is it because the zips are bigger than mp3s and so take up more bandwidth? It astounds me that noone has suggested an idea of paying for a year of Dropbox with 1 TB anually as a place to store movies and TV and provide upload links which won't die and don't download at a snail's pace.

Discord: clemchowder633

2018-12-08 03:11:21

I don't get why they need to use sendspace. Why not set up their own servers?

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-12-08 03:12:06

This also gets me, because in some cases zip files are so huge that you need a premium account to download them at all. I think if you don't, it gets to a certain point then just fails because you go over the cap for free downloads.

2018-12-08 03:38:33 (edited by Chris 2018-12-08 03:42:25)

I have never liked Sendspace and will never give them a cent of my money! Why don't they pay for 2 TB of Google Drive storage for $100 a year? How big is the movie vault in total? I'd hate to see it shrink. Some of those shows can't be found anywhere else either because publishers simply don't want to pay for the descriptions or they don't order it from the UK due to bullshit licensing issues.

They could also host it on their own servers if they have enough space. Like I said, I might not care as much if the mainstream gave more of a damn about audio description, but they don't. I've talked to a few people that have expressed disappointment that there aren't enough audio described titles available on DVD and/or digital download services. iTunes has a lot of audio described content, but not everything that's out there. The only place I can find audio described Doctor Who is Blind Mice and that wil be going away unless someone can change this situation. Does the BBC offer audio described Doctor Who? They don't as far as I'm aware. It's not described on Prime video and hasn't been on Netflix for years. It's not available with audio description on iTunes. This is bullshit! So is the whole this title is only available in movie theaters bullshit. Movie theaters and their business models make my blood boil! I can't stand them! I'd much rather pay Netflix a monthly fee to watch on demand content than pay exorbitant prices to sit down in a theater that's too loud and provides you with no control over the movie.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2018-12-08 03:45:03 (edited by jack 2018-12-08 03:46:25)

I doubt their own servers are that big, but they could be getting an amazon s3 cloud for probably more affordable than sendspace premium. Sendspace can go eat shit for all I care, what with their slow download pace. And to be honest, as for lack of described content, this is why, if this didn't involve risking the site I would think that if we're talking about morality here, until there is a unanimous adoption of description across producers, publishers and streaming providers, I would say fight fire with fire. Only, none of us really have the money to do so. But the nfb...
In a hypothetical situation, if the organization like the NFB heard that a site for the blind got threatened with a c&d for allowing described content to be posted, they would flip a shit and be suing every publisher involved at that point, I just know it.

2018-12-08 03:49:13

Yeah, agreed about hosting the content on their own server.
I don't know how much sendspace costs, but hosting it on their own server gives us faster download speeds and gives them more control over the data.
I am searching for true blood seasons 6 and 7, I couldn't find them even in blind mice, I found only the first 5 seasons, now with the TV shows going away in a week, we can't have anything at all let alone 2 missing seasons of 1 series.

2018-12-08 03:59:25 (edited by Chris 2018-12-08 04:04:56)

Google Drive doesn't impose any bandwidth limitations as far as I know and direct links can be generated for files. Who can I email about this? I really don't want to see this stuff go away.

As for the NFB, I wouldn't puttoo much faith in them. They don't seem to be very reliable. There whole strategy is "Let's sue corporation X immediately before we talk to them or do anything else". They're also not focusing on more important things and instead choose to spend their time bitching about minor things like guide dogs. I don't know about you, but there are far more important things that need to be fixed than not allowing my dog to ride in a car. Where's an initiative to make home appliances more accessible? How about video games? How about more audio described content? How about coming up with GPS that's worth a damn for a blind person? How about making remote access software accessible so that blind people can participate in the workforce as remote computer technicians? There are so many things they aren't doing and it pisses me off to no end!

2018-12-08 04:10:18

This is very true, although I would be careful about undermining the importance of the guidedog issues they're fighting for. Allowing your dog to ride in the same car, all that stuff falls under one umbrella, inclusiveness. Aira, for those who can afford it/as Aira access grows lightening the load on the users, is not only a good service, but a catalyst for the inaccessible holes such as appliances, inaccessible applications and such, while bigger issues of inclusivity can be fought for.

2018-12-08 04:22:46 (edited by jack 2018-12-08 04:26:23)

An ftp server that I am on has Doctor Who described, as well as a crap ton of content (audiobooks, described movies, etc) An entrypoint cost is $15 for a single month; whichever cost you pay gives you access to everything with no download speed limitations. I hear you crying, but just think about the fact this is not a company running the server. Lol!
If anyone has any interest in the server, please contact me, preferably via forum email so I can actually get to ya. lol!

2018-12-08 04:26:09

Part of it could be legal requirements for copyright exemption to keep track of those who access the database. Otherwise, you'd think Torrents would be a good alternative to cut down on bandwidth fees.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2018-12-08 04:37:27

Well for that they could just install a hit counter, or password protect links. .htaccess anyone?

2018-12-08 05:31:32 (edited by Chris 2018-12-08 05:36:29)

I just contacted them via the admin contact link on the website. We'll see what kind of response I get. I really hope we don't lose this stuff. Say what you want about the legality, but as long as publishers aren't listening and aren't offering the content with audio description, I don't really care.

edit

I just checked iTunes, and it appears they offer zero TV shows with audio description. WTF? Please tell me I'm wrong.

2018-12-08 07:03:15

I don't care about the legality either. The way I see it, if publishers don't have anything to bring to the table, they're in no position to take it from others. Simply put, when it's come to the point where Netflix has to try and do the description themselves, you know it's bad.

2018-12-08 07:16:33

interestingly, they don't put up their own sendspace links anyway.
most of them they get from other lists and then put up as their own. I've got stuff they put out on there that I could easily go delete to prove the point but that wouldn't be productive. so why is it costing them to provide links they aren't even hosting?

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2018-12-08 07:29:17

after reading that last post, it's making me wonder if there's a possiblity that they are trying to get donations... using sypathy or something...

My Solo album, "A Life Seen Through Broken Eyes", available now:
iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2018-12-08 08:55:51

Hi.
Fuck, this is bad, so I guess a lot of downloading the next days is in order, game of thrones, NCIS, CSI, clone wars, chicago fire, ugg.
I know that this sounds sorta stupid, but we should all try to get as much as possible TV content off the site before it gets deleted.
Do we have something like shared folders, servers or anything else which already have TV shows with an AD on them?
I will download as much as possible, you others should atempt that as well.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2018-12-08 11:55:58

I do wonder where Sero will get their tv shows, now that blind mice will no longer have them.

I would gladly pay for sero, but they seem to be lacking some content, and emailing the content director doesn't give you much results, if any.

I don't mind being restricted to listening to movies and tv shows within their app, at least it works, for now.

2018-12-08 13:26:41

where exactly these guys get the described content from.
If from volunteers, then where do volunteers get the content from?

twitter: @hadirezae3
discord: Hadi

2018-12-08 15:11:31

This is a slap in the face. A lot of us can't help the blind mice because they don't really cater to international members!

2018-12-08 15:56:24

That's exactly what I'm thinking! I was going to suggest buying some products, but they are, by and large, a US based company. What if they just put a cryptocurrency minor into the movie vault page just like a lot of bit torrents do?

2018-12-08 18:34:27

It looks like there's nothing we can do. A world of content, shit tons of content you can't get anywhere else, just gone. sad

#FreeTheCheese
"The most deadly poison of our times is indifference. And this happens, although the praise of God should know no limits. Let us strive, therefore, to praise Him to the greatest extent of our powers." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

2018-12-08 19:42:34 (edited by jack 2018-12-08 19:42:50)

Not that I'm trying to belittle the issue here, but anyone who wants to find out where to get this content elsewhere, if even for a fairly reasonable payment, should get in contact with me. I don't run this but I can direct you to it.

2018-12-08 19:59:37

how much TV shows do they have?

PSN ID: AvidLitRPGer
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AvidLitRPGer
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AvidLitRPGer
leave me a message saying how you found me.

2018-12-08 20:00:05

Who, Blind Mice or Shane?