2018-11-26 10:14:54

Hey guys. I'm going to start creating some original audio content. I'll have to use TTS for voices and things because I can't pay actors. The thing is I need sound effects, mainly footsteps and things. I don't need a lot of explosions since I don't think I'll be making that kind of thing. Mostly fun little things that no one has really thought of. The sounds I have to be free. Getting a new iPad and paying for textbooks kind of took all of my money.

Add me on Skype, search for The Evil Chocolate Cookie

2018-11-26 15:18:29

I could either refer you to audioblocks.com through an invite and I think that still includes a trial, and there you'll find premium quality sound effects that you get to download, it's a subscription site but everything you download is yours to keep even if you cancel. I believe the only restriction for the 7day trial back when I used it is only 20 downloads per day, but that is more than fair for such a premium quality library. So if you want a trial of that let me know, and for your reference it is actually $15 a month now.
There's also zapsplat, which is a site that offers a smaller yet very good sound collection, centered towards production music though. There's a free option that lets you download the sounds, but 1 they are not in wave format so are not the highest possible quality around, and 2 they are creative commons attribution-licensed so you will be giving credit to them and the sounds that you used inside your production or the description. 4 bucks a month I believe gives you wave versions of the sounds, as well as removes the attribution requirement. Any sounds you download during a subscription period are yours to keep under the commercial non-attribution license.

2018-11-26 15:43:04

i'm very very interested what will happen what i'll use those sounds but i don't want to give them a credit, what will happen if i won't give them there credit? mua ha ha

2018-11-26 17:25:02 (edited by jack 2018-11-26 20:32:39)

Lol!
If you're not joking, well I would say that would be a wee bit rude, as this is an independent/group of independent sound designers we're talking about here at Zapsplat. ON a free tier, not giving them credit technically goes against the Creative Commons License. You'll never understand that work that goes into sound design till you become one yourself, so I think it's more than fair that they ask for credit after pouring all this effort into what can amount to free sounds and music! If you really want to skip past crediting them, it is literally only less than the cost of a trip to Starbucks a month for the entire library, and the sounds you download during a paid month are yours to keep and credit or not credit as you please. To be honest, I still credit Audioblocks even though it's not required to, because the site is truly the first of its kind to offer such premium content at a one-off monthly/yearly price.
Just remember, as far as Zapsplat is concerned, their hard work is not your free lunch.

2018-11-26 22:04:54 (edited by defender 2018-12-01 01:47:29)

Responses to Eliza Skylord and Jack.
LOL I should just make a custom clipboard for this or something so that I can paste it any time people ask.

Eliza
Search for these on google.
zapsplat, Freesfx, soundeffectsplus, soundgator, and soundjay are all sites where you can download lots of individual sounds. The last three have overlap because their owned by the same people.
gamesounds.xyz, airbornsound, and the Adobe Audition Sound Effects Library contain larger collections.
freesound, opengameart, and soundbible are community driven and more DIY, but you can get some great gems and the selection and uniqueness of some of the sounds is fantastic.
99sounds, FXHome, noiseforfun, PacDV and PacHD are more hit and miss but their is still good stuff to find their.
soundimage.org is mainly for music but he's got a growing collection of sounds too, both synthetic and recorded and their not bad. No commercial use though and it's only for (projects that conform to the youtube guidelines?) what ever that means... They can be used off youtube as well though.
You can get some from itch.io too, by looking for game assets, then using keywords like sound and audio.
Also, many of the individual artists from sites like asoundeffect and Sonniss have free packs on their own websites (Sound Morph, shapingwaves, and Soundbits for example) though you may need to jump through some hoops to get to them.
I'd go for the Adobe lib for quickest footsteps. The freesound collection I posted in the dev room should help too. Remember that while each site's search method is different, you'll be able to find stuff to help you. Author pages, user made collections and packs, tags and categories, along with just normal search terms.

The licensing for nearly all of these is either Creative Commons Attribution, Creative Commons no attribution, or a custom license that's pretty common with these sites where you can't use the sounds in something like a sound effects app or sound effects youtube video, e.g. main purpose of the media is to show the sounds unmodified, along with the stipulation that you can't offer the sounds for direct download, or even link to individual files on the sound website's servers.
Aside from that it's generally all the same, but it's worth double checking, particularly when it comes to proper attribution methods, as they can sometimes get pretty picky with that, though more so for music.
Just let me know if you need 8bit sounds, or music tracks, and always remember to credit!

Jack
Honestly I tried audio blocks and allot of the categories seem to have kinda crappy, older sounds, from back when recording tech wasn't as good. Not stuff I'd pay for when their are sites like zapsplat and soundeffectsplus instead...
I also, sadly, found some stuff from Freesound on their in the war and battle section, mostly from user Robbinhood76. Since it doesn't show who contributed it I can't say for sure it wasn't just him, but since they were all slightly changed from the original, I feel like it wasn't.
I emailed them and opened tickets on all the sounds I saw, their were many, but never got a response. I included links to the sounds on freesound and my email address and everything.
Who knows how many others they've stolen work from that I just don't recognize by ear, in other sections, I wouldn't even mind if they gave credit, but it's a paid service.
That and audioblocks just seems like a tiny, nearly unmentioned part of their business anyway, so I feel like new additions and customer support isn't a priority for them.
Over all I think I'm going to avoid them from now on, and not suggest them to others. A let down for sure.

Sky Lord
You would be a selfish asshole, that's it, mostly, unless you make something that becomes popular enough for them to notice, in which case you'd be a selfish asshole who is also in trouble.
The only reason free sounds exist in nearly all cases is because people are using them to build a name for them selves, while also trying to help those who are struggling out of charity, so that people who do have money will come back to them when they need something. So it can work as both a really good demo of their work as well as a way to get people hooked on their brand. Everyone benefits.
If you spit on their kindness and hard work, and stop spreading their name around via credits, then they wont' have that exposure. Eventually if enough people take advantage, they may pull the plug on their free sound downloads, or at least stop adding new ones, since it costs money to run a server that gets so many file requests.

2018-11-27 00:20:50 (edited by jack 2018-11-28 19:45:55)

I honestly wonder if they were more music focused than they are for sound effects. Maybe I'm gotten more luck with what I've been looking for, but I know the music is fantastic, and the sounds I've found are mostly all better than free ones (the new machinegun sound from later revisions of Battle Zone involving my and Garrett's sound contributions, as well as some footsteps, and the menu music. As for customer service, I've only ever called them, so I can't speak to their email support. Any time I called them they've been very good to work with. Apparently even if your subscription is expired they will still put up a good fight for youtube claims considering you were a past customer of theirs. They now have a marketplace where individuals can post a la carte stock media, so there must have been a disturbance in the force somewhere when they adopted that. They've admitted that they don't own the content and they are merely licensed to license it, so it's quite possible there could've been a miscommunication somewhere down the line. Which leaves a bit to be desired from a paid service, but I know they're known for being pretty artist-centered when it comes to contributors making their own contributions.

2018-11-27 00:41:39 (edited by defender 2018-11-27 00:42:52)

Hmm okay, maybe I just misjudged them then. I just didn't want to call up and make some kind of claim, when I'm not even the artist, it would be awkward and out of my authority I imagine...
Not sure why they don't show the contributors name though at least.

2018-11-27 01:09:13

There was a ressurrection of Kaigoku's list of sounds [here] you may find of use.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2018-11-27 01:54:28

Yeah, if anything I would contact freesound and ask if they've ever dealt with audioblocks. It's possible that a contributor uploaded sounds from them and it slipped through the cracks.

2018-11-28 00:33:46

I downloaded the sounds in the developers room, but the unarchiver wouldn't extract them. They said the archive is corrupted

2018-11-28 02:36:05 (edited by Pineapple Pizza 2018-11-28 02:38:05)

That app has given me multiple problems in the past. I had an issue with the exact same file as well. Perhaps  you should try something else.

I would rather listen to someone who can actually play the harmonica than someone who somehow managed to lose seven of them. Me, 2019.

2018-11-28 05:47:29

Try 7zip on windows or something like that.

2018-11-28 09:23:14

Yeah it's not corrupt on my end...

2018-11-30 04:12:34

this, is a mac

2018-11-30 07:16:32

Yes. But you can run vmware fusion. A trial version will do for purposes of extracting the archive, and should probably fit your entire windows need if that's all you intend to use it for. Although, I still am insistent that audio editing is better on windows interface-wise. Reaper is good on the mac but takes getting used to especially with having a button bar rather than a set of consistent keystrokes. Hotspots are very helpful especially when locating the play/stop/record buttons as well as the effects browser to locate my Abbey Road Reverb vst.

2018-11-30 15:21:15

Would someone really install a vm just to unzip a file?

I would rather listen to someone who can actually play the harmonica than someone who somehow managed to lose seven of them. Me, 2019.

2018-12-01 01:48:24 (edited by defender 2018-12-01 01:53:13)

LOL yeah but, why the hell would Mac's built in unarchiver suck that bad... That's a real shame.
Maybe you should try Keka?
Or any of these other alternatives.
https://alternativeto.net/software/the- … atform=mac

2018-12-01 01:51:09

The built-in unarchiver does not extract 7z files. This is an external application.

2018-12-01 01:53:35 (edited by defender 2018-12-01 01:54:04)

Ah, that's rather out of date... Most do now.
I'll consider doing it in zip next time I update it... But it's going to be bigger.

2018-12-01 03:18:28

It's called
http://grossgang.com/vmware
Windows xp vm is literally under a gig, and I hope you'd be smarter than me in that you didn't purchase a 128gb mac. I did and upgraded to a Transcend Jetdrive825 480gb ssd when it became too much to bare. Nevertheless, a minimalist xp vm can fit on the smallest of internal drives. Literally no reason why one can't take an extra few minutes to install it. However, I will say the fact the internal unzipper can't do .7z or .rar is pretty sad.

2018-12-01 03:57:16

I wasn’t aware that windows could without installing seven zip. I did.