2018-11-16 22:13:12

I've spent a bit of time with it and here are my first impressions.
Let me start by saying that I like the sound design, and it seems like the story has had real thought put into it. of all the a blind legend  archetype  games, this is immediately  my favorite, and I'll likely buy it when it comes out. I do still have issues with it, and think it could be significantly better, even having played it only briefly.
Let's start with the mechanics.
1. Why is counterattacking a thing. it seems to offer no real advantage compared to regular attacking except make an already frustratingly easy system easier. Hell, why is the shield a thing. I really don't understand. It's not like you get any advantage from blocking attacks.
It would be significantly more interesting if you could block and attack at the same time, opening up the possibility for multiple enemies to start swinging at once, timed differently. That might be a challenge. The current system is not a challenge. I've failed to lose a single fight, and I wouldn't consider myself the best at this kind of thing.
2. the exploration isn't really exploration.
You know what, credit where credit is due, you did a better job here than the other blind legend type games. at least there's some thinking for your self. when it comes to where you want to go. the problem is, that's about where it ends. all you have to do is pick a destination, point at it, and go. there are no obsticles to walk around, no moving targets to track down, nothing at all that give one the sense that they're exploring a village. A village has people in it. A village has surface changes, it has walls that get in the way. it has streets, it's not just one big open space. If you're struggling to see how blind people can deal with a more complex map, might I point you to a Hero's Call or Swamp, ETC.
You really might have something here if you use a map with well designed audio sound sorces, but if you just throw the sound sorces into a big open space, you've taken the fun out of exploration.
Keep in mind I'm not suggesting you copy the design of the games above. What they do with radar and text you could likely do with enough creativity with your sound design. I've got more to say here, but I'll leave it for another day.
Rule of thumb: If I can't get hopelessly lost, it's not exploration.
Now for the story.
I get that the main character is blind, please stop shoving it down my throat every thirteen seconds. Okay, it makes sense that people would comment on it in the game world, but can we toss realism aside for just a bit here? because the first time someone goes "hey look he's blind," that's fine, not so much the 37th time (I swear I get it). This, personally, is why I'd rather play a game that does a bit of hand waving rather than have a blind character.
On the same vein, the whole helplessness thing gets kind of old, especially coming from the main character.
Minor Example.
Minor spoiler I guess...
The first scene with the brother helping their sibling stand up for themselves would have been very heartwarming and character building, except for the fact that the sibling in question is portrayed by someone who is clearly not a child. I'd normally be fine with this, I'm perfectly capable of figuring out that a flashback to a much younger version of the character is taking place, but if you plan to try to get sighted people to play this, I really don't think this is a good precedent  to start setting.
I'll admit I'm only slightly niggled by this compared to my first point, but the joy it would give me if you could just find some children to voice that 30 seconds of dialog would be unending.
Other than that, it's pretty solid, kind of cliched with the entire blind person gets lost and finds a person to guide them, but pretty alright for what it is.
PS: There really needs to be a way to skip cutscenes. Tried to play it a second time to see if I'd missed anything but couldn't stand sitting through five minute cut scenes all over again.
PPS: as someone who doesn't currently have access to a controler, the game could be a bit clearer on what keys correspond to what. It took me forever to figure out that I had to hit escape to get the travel map, and I only found that out by hitting every key on my keyboard. same with the alt key being the left trigger.

2018-11-16 22:29:59

agree with @26. also, I am using a playstation controller on a converter and triggers don't work. a way to configure a controller or keys would be useful.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2018-11-16 23:22:18

Hey all. Agree with what the other's said, especialy post 26. By the way, did anyone get audio stuttering lots of times in the game? Because i did.

Hail, Daughter of Hatred. Creator of Sanctuary. Hail...Lilith.

2018-11-16 23:27:09

@28 not so far. wonder what system you're using? I'm on a rather powerful i7 with a ton of ram so that may make a difference.

2018-11-16 23:39:20

Here are my first impresions.
the story and sound design are quite good but i think the combat sistem needs to be a little challenging for example if you block the enemyes attack and do counter attack you cann deal criticall hit or something like this. Also there should be more opstacles for exemple walls or high ground or pits. This is all for now. Best regards, Karlitos

2018-11-16 23:45:20

hi was the Shepard voice acted by the same person who played allexia in a hero's call?
I really injoy the audio quality of the game as well as the story line also guys remember that the game is set in what sounds like quite a few centuries back and in those days it was quite normal fore people with blindness to be handled in the way in witch the main character was handled and should be taken with a pinch of salt i think, the combat is easy at the moment but i be leave it will get more challenging as you progress in the game and i can not wait to see what the full game will hold, keep up the good work.

regards
Hannes Fouche
Access gaming my YouTube channel https://youtube.com/channel/UC8CshzvGHEy2eR5L86nMM5A

2018-11-17 00:21:15

Yeah, this is just the opening section of the game, and a beta test.  Maybe upping the speed and mobility of foes is in the works for later areas and parts of the game. 

Though, I'm curious what a better shield exactly does for people?  Oak shield sort of feels as if it blocks at the same speed as the pot lid, and uh, takes as much of a beating?  I"m not sure what shield's limitations exactly are.

The answer to your question is forum.audiogames.net/search

2018-11-17 01:13:48

Well guys I have tested the game to the end.
As well as the errors I found I had issues with backing out of menus.
I was able to buy most things though while there were quests that were simple in themselves I was able to buy my sword, a bow and a shield not the armour sadly but oh well.
The combat may be simple but it can be a challenge in its own way.
Its certainly got potential to be a good game.

2018-11-17 01:21:51

I still haven't played it too far but it still has a feel of soulbound to me. the story line seems a lot more interesting but the combat and the hole finding a helper bit just seems a bit samy. I'm not complaining about what I've played so far though, it is really well put together. I just get the feeling it's yet of the same we've had a few times.

will I buy it when it's released? I'm not sure yet. i'll see what I think when I complete the beta but so far I have to say it isn't really enspiring me. just feels like an audio drama that you get to make the odd choice in and have to do battles to progress.

2018-11-17 02:42:28

like brad said m key on my keyboard don't work though try closing the game then reloading again didn't help either
so I do all of the quest in village next part maybe hunting but I don't know since m key on my keyboard don't work as I expect no can't leave the village and stuck any idea please

the bestest reward for people who are working so hard they should receive their experience of their own life.
everyone can collect in everyday.
:d

2018-11-17 06:42:16

I wish the demo a little longer. All and all it's well done!!! And I'm agreed with post 26 as well!!!!

Hearthstone Tag ID: RobotWizard#1265216

2018-11-17 06:42:17

like everyone said here, I encountered the same bugs.
first off, when in the shops menu when I talk to the blacksmith to buy weapons and armor, I can't leave the menu. also, when I was told to press the M key to open the travel map, it doesn't work, however if I press the escape key it opens up the map screen.
some other bugs that I have is in some parts of the game, the audio lags a bit, especially if you're surrounded by multiple enemies. and some suggestions, in the final release, could you make the combat a bit more realistic? I mean you can move around, dodge incoming attacks, a combo system, and many more? it would be cool if those will be added.

going in to the wilds, collecting pokedex, and capturing them are my kind of thing,
training them, making them evolve, and generally making them stronger is my ultimate goal,
fighting other manamon tamers, winning the tournament, and fighting octoros are what these manamons like to do,
and ultimately, I become the master of mana!

2018-11-17 07:12:52

Just signed up for the beta, hope it's not too late! Very hyped for this game, can't wait to play big_smile

2018-11-17 07:14:44

That's would be nice if the combat give you freedom to running around. Did you guys notice about missing audios? Or that just me.

2018-11-17 07:17:16

agree with poast 26 as well. the exploration seems alittel simplistic to me, but I can't wait to see how the map works. lol. with quests, i'd think it would be awesome if you could follow the person who needs help as to just going there.

Blindness isn't a disability, but a diffrent way of seeing things

2018-11-17 08:09:42

yeah, first of all, this is an ausumn game! and i bet this will turn out the  best! wow i'm sooooo impressed! good job devs!
so my feedback:
here are a few bugs i found
there's an audio glitch, in that scene where alix is hiding from the men waiting for his uncle, and he falls asleep, the narrators say s she even if we are using prince alix.
second, i think most people noticed this but tutorials are broken.  i currently dont have a controller at hand so i had to ask a few people to find out the keyboard commands.
also, could you fix the left joystick and the right stick thingi? i mean not only the dialog, but the actual keyboard keys too. because you know, spacebar dnd enter usually do quite the same kind of functions, from an audio game's perspective, and it becomes quite confusing.
also, an in game bug:-(spoilers ahead)
remember that part where we had to head to the tavern with shepord. well naughty as i am i headed to the blacksmith insted and coudln't back out of the menu. i tried escape and that opened the map menu something and that totally broke the game with two menus open or something. and the game just said, thanks for playing the vale, and died. lol!
anyways, my heartiest congratulations to you developers! for a job well done! really excited for the full version! hope its released soon!
cheers

Abay chal.

2018-11-17 08:25:39

I have the the same bug. That's why I thought demo really short. Lol!!!!

2018-11-17 08:40:37

hello. i have a problem. i can't use travel map. the tutorial said that if i press m key, then i can use travelmap. but if i press m, nothihng happen. what should ii do?

hi. i am a dark matter miner. yeah, i am setting mines that when something steps on it, it will explode and release huge amount of dark matters. oh sorry... i am a slave miner, i am mining dark matters...

2018-11-17 08:51:30 (edited by grryfindore 2018-11-17 08:53:18)

Man, I tried the beta and do so love it, I can not say enough good things about it.
They say that the combat is to be improved with more weapons, magics and so on, so definitely looking forward to it. That said though, I would take the combat system as it now exists with slightly more difficulty level toggleable in settings if the story and the combat sounds are as great as the short demo has shown.
seriously, I am having kittens overhere I am looking so much forward to its release whenever it comes in the next year.
The last game I remember being so excited about and this seems to have a better story if they carry on as they have done in the demo, was a Heros call.
The sound and the story along with the voice acting is a treet for the ears, and any audiogame thats able to give me that, makes me happy. and I cant really ask for more. The Sound choices were perfect, specially love the inn music.
Last poster, press m or escape a few times. had the same issue as you.
Lets try the princess now...
P.S. if you have played,do submit the feedback that was sent  along with the beta/ demo version.
Grryf

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2018-11-17 09:04:23

Hi all. I subscribed in the mailing group, but didn't get any mails from the game. Why that happens?

2018-11-17 09:20:05

greetings.
this game is very awesome. but I have a problem.
s
p
o
i
l
e
r.
there is a point where you have to press m for the map. this shortcut doesn't work for me for some unknown reason.
any help or fix for this would be appreciated

don't wish to become like the oceans, the flowers, or the sun. oceans will dry out, flowers will die, and the sun will be extinguished. be yourself and nothing and no one else and hope for a better tomorrow.

2018-11-17 09:53:31

hello guys, i'm happy to hear this beta comes out. but i can't test it because my windows is 32 bt version. so i have a request, please make a 32 bt version. thanks

2018-11-17 09:54:24

@39 yes, i got a missing audio as well, but it's only for some scenes

going in to the wilds, collecting pokedex, and capturing them are my kind of thing,
training them, making them evolve, and generally making them stronger is my ultimate goal,
fighting other manamon tamers, winning the tournament, and fighting octoros are what these manamons like to do,
and ultimately, I become the master of mana!

2018-11-17 10:39:39

masroor.rahmani please get yourself a computer from the 21st century when applying for public beta tests of a game thanks

Folks, yes, the game says to press the m key and it doesn't work, we've all seen that and it's an obvious bug, but please do read the rest of this thread. People said to press escape instead.

Same for the missing audio bits, it's a little hilarious but yeah, it's just the first beta after all. What I do appreciate about them, in fact, is that you are at least told what was suposed to happen or be said.

We definitely need a way to skip dialogues, quest descriptions, menu items etc you've already heard in the full game.

Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2018-11-17 11:16:06

@lucas thanks for the information. didn't have time to read all of the posts. finished the demo and I think it's fantastic. keep up the good work guys.

don't wish to become like the oceans, the flowers, or the sun. oceans will dry out, flowers will die, and the sun will be extinguished. be yourself and nothing and no one else and hope for a better tomorrow.