2018-11-15 12:00:28

I was pondering the fact that games can be addictive.  Heck, writing new games can also be addictive.  Then inspiration struck.  My next game could be hobbit farming.

Try my free games and software at www.rockywaters.co.uk

2018-11-15 12:55:09

ha, yeah. it will be interesting. dragon village gave me hours of fun, hehe. never managed to beat the strestful one though. big_smile

good day
togira
sorry for my bad english

2018-11-15 13:32:57

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay, finally a farming game smile

2018-11-15 13:59:19 (edited by Dark 2018-11-15 18:08:49)

Hmmmm, hobbit farming?

Interesting idea. After all from what we know hardier bucklanders tend to thrive in web and swampy environments so you'd need well irrigated fields to grow a good crop, whilst the tooks with their uniquely delicate flavour which is so pleasing to the discerning pallet tend to grow best in hilly country.
Then of course, there is the matter of farming machinery and staff. Rumours say Saruman inc produce some very modern methods for hobbit farming including the latest uruks, but these take a large quantity of land and are therefore prone to unexpected ent based natural disasters, while the more traditional troll based methods are quicker and easier to implement, but finding the rare and truly tasty hobbits from among the possible crop of dwarves that might also accompany these farming methods is difficult, especially considering trolls are only active at night.

Then there is the economics of the situation, after all transporting properly processed hobbits takes a special breed of orc, and while the shagrat traditional grab and carry method works well enough, Nazgul related transport can likely increase your customer base by being able to transport over longer distances, even if there is more risk of elf arrow related air turbulence which might make the massive expense of rings of power  less than worth it.

so, there would be a lot  factors involved that a well put together game could play with, especially in creating the absolutely perfect hobbit based meal fit for the richest and chiefest of all calamitous dragons!

Or did you perhaps mean a game where the hobbits actually do the farming? Well that could be fun too big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-11-15 14:21:09

@3, yaaaaay i agree with you

2018-11-15 14:24:36

Yeah I always dreamed of being a hobbit and growing my own tobacko so I could try to beat Gandalf in a contest where we have to exhale smoke rings and the one who produces the most amazing ones wins! Of course, Gandalf isn't allowed to use magic. Magic, magic, that's all he knows! He is no match for a hobbit without using it!.

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2018-11-16 01:29:03

This game sounds so cute and fun!
It would be addictive for sure.

2018-11-16 02:25:18

Wow, I just saw your homepage. I had no idea your games existed, but I will certainly be giving a couple of them a try.

2018-11-16 09:49:43

@zuckuss, Rocky's games are certainly worth a look, as are some of his rather interesting little programs to be helpful (my lady liked his colour identification program).

Rocky's space invaders is a really nice take on the idea, especially with different types of ships, 3d brains is complicated and good if you like puzzles, though I've not as much got my head around playing that one.
The crowning achievement though is Dragon village, which is an awesome game that anyone who is into rpg/strategy games should look over.

All have pages in the database too (well all of Rocky's actual games do). So feel free to have a look.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-11-16 12:23:14

Normally I agree with you Dark, life is easier that way, smiles.  However the top piece of software of mine is my typing tutor.  Its not as much fun, but it is a serious contribution to something.  It was also very boring to write, the only reason I managed to finish it, was the hope it would be useful.  Now, planting hobbits knee deep and spreading some muck over them, watering and harvesting them sounds like fun Dark.  But what I actually meant to type was that making games can be habit forming.  Yes, I am in serious need of my own typing tutor program.  Though come to think on it, my next game could be both habit forming and hobbit farming.  Transport by barrels down the Brandywine perhaps.

2018-11-16 13:16:21

Well I will certainly be licking forward to my gums from raunchy waiters, and where's inspector crabtree when you need him big_smile.

Actually you've reminded me that typing tutor still needs a db page, I meant to do one just before the huge negativity storm hit the forum, i'll have a page up today since we do have a category for educational games and the Typing tutor is a very well designed example of its genre especially considering some of the commercial competition.

Btw, hobbits or not, a farming sim game would actually be really cool, lots of people have been looking for one for quite some time, and you could likely reused some ideas and maybe a bit of code from dragon village too, just with a slightly different focus and more micro management on the farming aspects with different crops, seasons, need to weed fields, manage pests (possibly including marauding orcs), etc.

2018-11-16 20:48:50

A farming sim is a neat idea, leaving out burying hobbits of course, its all a question of time and energy.  If I get lucky, games take only twice as long as planned.  I need a house elf that programs.

2018-11-16 22:51:21

I used to be addicted to punching Bilbo but now I'm trying to kick the hobbit.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2018-11-17 18:46:53

That's a hard hobbit to break, sir. Quite odd, considering his age. Better off strangling a Brandybuck, they're much easier to break. Just don't try to kick that hobbit during second breakfast, or you'll get your ass handed to ya. big_smile

#FreeTheCheese
"The most deadly poison of our times is indifference. And this happens, although the praise of God should know no limits. Let us strive, therefore, to praise Him to the greatest extent of our powers." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

2018-11-19 05:33:26

I'll be disappointed if this game doesn't have a mode where the objective is to properly catch care, grow and transport hobbits to be eaten by the local dragon or troll (we love us some hobbits).

The answer to your question is forum.audiogames.net/search