2018-11-15 08:35:43

Hello. I just recently started playing with jaws again. I totally forgot how to make jaws speak the  time in a different voice when you hit insert F12. Any ideas? I was playing with the speech and sounds manager but that did not do it.  Thank you all so much for the help

2018-11-15 11:57:18

Hi.
JAWS speaks the time and date in the Tutor and Message Voice, so if you want to change that, under Voice Profiles, I believe there's a setting where you can modify settings for a particular voice (e.g PC Cursor Voice, JAWS Cursor Voice), etc. By default, for Eloquence at least, the Tutor and Message Voice speaks with Reed at a lower pitch.

2018-11-15 23:01:44 (edited by flackers 2018-11-15 23:02:07)

It must have changed because the time is not spoken by the tutor message voice anymore. The only way to change the time voice using voice profiles would be to change the PC cursor voice, but that would change all the other stuff too so is no good. You can modify the SaySystemTime script in the default script file. The last line of the script is as follows:
SayUsingVoice (    VCTX_MESSAGE, sTimeOrDate, ot_user_requested_information)
If you change VCTX_MESSAGE to VCTX_KEYBOARD it will use the keyboard voice. Then you could go into voice profiles and set the keyboard voice to shelly or whatever, and that's the voice the time would use. One problem though. In recent years, whenever I've tried to edit the default script file, I always get an unknown variable error. In the 2019 version, it's unknown variable UIATrue. This appears in the last line of the ISReadOnly function. I just delete the last two lines of that function. The first of these two lines is a variable declaration, and the second is the actual task that contains the variable jaws doesn't recognise. I figure if it doesn't recognise the variable, that task can never run so it's safe to delete it altogether. Once these lines are gone, the default script will save and compile okay. I know, none of this is worth doing just to change the time voice, but I'm just saying that's the only way I know of. If you've already modified the default script like I have, it's just a matter of changing the word message for the word keyboard.