2018-11-14 23:38:41

That was long time in my todo list, but I have noticed a discussion about "other forum" and remembered that...

I have a site for my own software and related downloads, documentation, discussions, etc. At the beginning it was completely unrelated to accessibility, but it happens that one of my creatures was automatically accessible... And now, several years later, I have a separate accessibility board with related tools.

My primary forum is SMF. From what I have heard, that is not as bad for screen readers as some other, but reading it this way (I am sighted developer) I have realized there should be something better.

I would like to make related section of my site as easy to access as possible. I am an experienced programmer, so I can export from SMF and probably even organize automatic dual publishing to something else.

The question is what that "something else" should be? Which framework is the best for screen readers?

I am sure you can give me useful hints, which will cost me ages to find myself.

2018-11-15 01:11:16

Well punbb, fluxbb, phpBB, and wordpress are all pretty good options, though i would only recommend wordpress if you’re thinking of starting a more blog like thing.

2018-11-15 01:13:42

Feel free to get in tuch either via this topic or via pm, i’ll be more than happy to help out where i can.

2018-11-15 13:24:24

Thank you for your reply. My worry is that both punbb and fluxbb are not updated since 2 years. Spam and hack robots are in continuous development. phpBB is active, so it can be a good option.

The information is a blog like. I have already understood that related discussions will be in PM, special mailing lists, WhatsUp groups. and may be in this board. Can it be that I try to solve problem which does not exist? At the bottom of my site I have "found" WAP2 link. And in general that is what I want people can read: http://www.azslow.com/index.php?board=11.0;wap2
I have noticed there are some unlabeled navigation buttons and links inside the text are not labeled as such. But that is definitively simpler to fix for me then attach another software. What you think?

2018-11-15 13:51:42

Hm, what are you using to power that?
PhpBB i suppose could be a good option, the main issue i see is the potential learning curve for a lot of people, and depending on the skin you use, accessibility can vary.
Another option to consider would be panBB, which i believe is also still being developed, it’s what this board currently uses.
Hope it helps.

2018-11-15 16:15:30

It depends what version of forum software really. PunBB and FLuxBB are lightweight and basic compared to some, SMF is okay, PhPBB3 is, if set up right, useable. Jcink/IPB is useable if you grab the accessible stuff on their suport forums.

Forget Tapatalk. Forget that entirely. FUD? Nope. Forget it.

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

2018-11-15 19:23:01

Yup, agreed with JaceK. Thank you for saying what i don’t have the eloquence to say. smile

2018-11-15 22:17:17

Ok, no Tapatalk. I got it smile
Jcink/IPB are host serviced if I understand corresponding sites right. The last one, Invision Community, is far from cheap in addition.

There are some mobile themes for SMF, but they are also not free. Please do not get me wrong, I pay for hosting. But  I prefer avoid extra running costs just for a set of pages. The link above was to the whole current content.
So I am going to check phpBB and for short term hack WAP2 of SMF.