2018-11-04 08:09:58

Hey everyone.
So the name of this topic says it all.
Melodic Fretting Hand Techniques for Stringed Instruments.
I have Five different Techniques in Mind.
Hammer-ons, Pull-Offs, Slides, String-Bending, and Vibrato. Guitarists are known for these things. But Banjos and Ukuleles do this as well. But it isn't as common on Bass Guitar for these things. And It is simply because the Strings are thicker and harder for that matter. But I have messed around with these Techniques and as a result, I feel like my Bass Playing as gotten a bit better. A bit more Lively. And it is grate for playing Melodies on Bass as well. For Bending Strings on Bass, You just have to use more than one Finger at the same time. I use two or three fingers at once. And for vibrato, I just wiggle the string back and forth. Bending Up and Down repeatedly. So what are your all's thoughts on the Techniques? I have found them to be very interesting. So Go for it.

Sincerely:
John Follis
Check out my YouTube Channel.

2018-11-04 13:15:33 (edited by flackers 2018-11-04 15:04:52)

Whenever I'm playing anything melodic on bass or guitar, I'm always bending the strings a little bit if I linger on a note for just a fraction of a second. something I like to do on regular guitar is bend up to a note, then release it a little, and then bend back up with vibrato. It really livens up a note. I think the aim is to disrupt the dead-on frequency caused by having frets. I'm not a whammy bar user, but players like Gilmour, Beck, and Holdsworth are/were masters at using that thing to subtly dip in and out of notes. It's like trying to dance around the note in an effort to replicate the way a natural human voice sings. This is why I always think violins and fretless basses always sound more expressive. Violins especially because they can also swell the volume of a note like a voice can. you can do this on guitar with the volume knob or a pedal, but it never sounds as natural. I have this half-baked theory that blues evolved as a result of guitars and pianos being tuned to equal temperament and playing notes dead on. The African Americans who developed that style were used to people singing harmonies like the major third really sweetly in tune, but equal temperamment instruments don't do that: the thirds are tuned pretty noticeably wide. That is the upper note is quite sharp of where it would be to make the interval totally smooth. On an equal tempered instrument, that sweet major third lies somewhere between the minor and major. Obviously a lot closer to the major because that's what it is. So blues players used bottlenecks and even knives to find that note that lay between the frets. If they weren't using a slide, they'd use bends. I'm sure this played a part in how blues evolved.