2018-10-31 18:30:20

In cased everyone missed it, which I doudt, JAWS 19 is now out. Yes, this also includes the Home Annual license that was talked about  in their  FSCast. If I remember right, it was talked about in this one.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2018-10-31 18:39:52

Thanks. Wonder if the annual licence will be available in other countries. Doesn't seem to be any mention of it on the UK distributor's website as yet.

2018-10-31 19:25:58

so many new features for jaws 2019, really.
haha

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2018-10-31 19:48:03

The performance improvements are worth it alone.

2018-10-31 20:04:50

there are no performance improvements. Jaws is as sluggish as ever.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2018-10-31 20:51:40

Lt's see...
Faster JAWS Startup with Grace Period Authorization: How is this a feature? This is quite he limiting tactic: "Let's lock away almost all the applications functionality until we can get a valid authorization."
Separation of Office Scripts: Right... and this hadn't already been done before? Come on guys.
Improved Performance in Office 365 Applications: OK... the changes that separate the scripts (though that was already done before this release) hardly contributed to the improvement performance.
Notification of Spelling Errors in Word 365: Right. And NVDA didn't have this already, and JAWS already had this in MSWord. OK....
Speak Character Phonetically After Pause During Character Navigation: Someone, tell me exactly how this is, uh, you know, useful? Yeah, I don't think it is either.
Prompt to Confirm when Exiting JAWS Now Optional: And you couldn't have done this earlier? .... just wow.
I could go on, but this entire release seems like FS is trying to win over NVDA users -- which just won' work considering how outrageous their prices are. No, I'm most certainly not going to switch to JAWS just to get these new supposed features.... especially when this company's reputation is very questionable, and they really haven't introduced anything revolutionary in a few years.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-11-01 00:16:45

I believe if ZoomTextFusion 2019 comes out, I cannot believe as an X JAWS user what I've have been delt with.

73 Wj3u

2018-11-01 04:53:24

Rather disappointing change log.
Anyways is this home annual thingy available out of US as well, or is for US cityzens only?

2018-11-01 08:17:08

@ethin: the phonetic feedback of characters is actually useful for someone like me who has a hearing loss, and can't always understand what letter is being said. now I realize you can already hit the numpad 5 key twice quickly to have the character said phoneticaly, but this is actually a much quicker way of hearing them.

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven

2018-11-01 10:21:34

Hmm... I don't no what to add to this, all i can say though is don't you think that jaws is a bit slow to react on various opperating systems? After all, some computers have been annoying people when the system crashes

you can run, but you can't hide, i'll make sure of that.

2018-11-01 11:58:21

Some of the features, if not all, should have been labeled changes, not features.

2018-11-01 19:17:55

Yes. Most of these were bug fixes. There were no "performance improvements" or "new features" and this change log shows how disreputable and dirty this corporation actually is.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-11-01 20:11:05 (edited by Draq 2018-11-01 20:12:00)

They did say in the podcast that they weren't introducing everything right away. That's probably why the initial changelog is so disappointing.

As for the annual home license, it's starting out in the US only. here's  the thing about that license though. It's $90 for one year. So if you have a current SMA, it would make more sense to keep that current, as you'll be paying $60 per year overall. If you've allowed your SMA to fall behind or simply need a new license, it'd make more sense to get on the annual home use program since you don't have to pay that crazy $900 starting cost plus the $120 cost for the SMA.

2018-11-02 01:27:35

wow, 90 dollars a year. And to think I donate 10 monthly ones to nv access... could it be that they finally have put  2+2 together and realized sales aren't doing quite well? wait, nevermind... Some governments are stupidly still putting hoards of money into those self-obsequious disability heroes, but thankfully the competition (even narrator) is putting them up to the challenge.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2018-11-02 04:09:05 (edited by flackers 2018-11-02 04:14:47)

At some point they had to do something about the fact that NVDA is now a true competitor, and may well overtake jaws as the most popular screen reader in the coming years. I don't think they had much choice but to make jaws more affordable. I don't know about other countries, but in the UK, local authorities and organisations like the RNIB will no longer help people to buy jaws because NVDA is free. It has to be really hurting new sales. As one who wants jaws to survive, hopefully this will help keep them afloat. I'll be interested to see how much it is going to cost in the UK. I believe the SMA in the US is $60 a year, but in the UK, it's £100, which is around $130, so more than twice the price. By this reckoning, the annual subscription will be around £150 a year, or 12.50 a month, which is still over-priced in my opinion. If the UK distributors have any sense , they'll keep it under a tenner.

2018-11-02 10:35:34

Any idea when it'll come to Indian distributors? 90 USD is well in my affordability. And oh yes, I'll need to buy a new license. I've never bought and used the jenuine product. big_smile so I do hope that it becomes available soon.

2018-11-14 20:54:06 (edited by austingrace 2018-11-14 20:56:27)

You guys may be well aware I have stopped using jaws since 2012. Got curious and installed it yesterday and for some reason, I quite enjoy using it. I really missed web rent a crowd on the internet. So I said screw it, I'll buy a year license. So yes, I for one am glad of this change. smile I think for once they are starting to get it.... We will see. Yes that is just the nerd in me. LOL smile IN terms of speed, have not noticed a difference on my system with I7 2600, a 512 gb ssd and 16 gb of ram.

2018-11-18 18:39:44

Agreed with bryant. Ethin, that's a useful feature for those of us with hearing loss. In fact, I love that about iOS too, how you can hold your finger over a letter and it'll say it phonetically. I use it all the time because I have trouble distinguishing between v and b sometimes, so if I drag my finger down to v and hold it there, VoiceOver says Victor. Also, VoiceOver implements this behavior that is now in JAWS. If you swipe left or right to the previous or next character, it will say it phonetically after a little while.

This is the one feature I'd say the new 2019 build has that I'd really love to see in NVDA. Sadly, I don't use JAWS so can't take advantage of it.

2018-11-18 19:39:49

@Munawar
Someone could probably make an NVDA addon for it, lol or submit it as a suggestion on Github.

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2018-11-18 21:08:09

Speaking of Narrator, check out what's new in the latest Windows Insider build:

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperi … m=referral

2018-11-18 22:06:25

@BlindNinja someone already beat me to it. Yay for open-source software! https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/8822

2018-11-18 23:10:25

Of course NVDA is still my main screen reader. smile That will never change. And bTW jaws is still not portable. LOL Still uses a damn display driver. LOL It's like freedom scientific accessibility driver.

2018-11-19 04:28:24

oh, I thought they got rid of that accessibility driver? it was even good material for a big press release...though I would doubt if much people would actually get the differences, 'cause you know, if I am a customer and know little about something the last thing i want to know is the ins and outs of what makes what I am buying, work. Also, speaking of stuff... whatever happened to the so acclaimed vip audio access site? apparently it went out of business or whatever.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2018-11-19 06:43:23 (edited by queenslight 2018-11-19 06:44:54)

Ah, VIP Soundtracks.

Never used it, only looked at it. The site may still sort of survive within the internet archives.

Hmmm, actually, I wonder if it was VIP Sound Clips instead...

2018-11-19 08:18:12

well, I found my answer
this site had provided some hot spot clicker sets for jaws for accessibility in inaccessible music apps, but times are slowly changing and so we now have actually even better accessibility than before
I had looked at what they had to offer as of some months, and the supported versions were actually embarrassingly old, kontakt player version 1.6, when the current version is around 6.8 something, for example. So well, its just like what is been described in here on these threads, regarding supernova or system access to go and such.. companies which just fell behind and cannot innovate, much less sustain themselves... not sure if that is a lack of funds or just the really closed proprietary design of the project.
Its also sad the way language support is talked about on those too. Just like the your dolphin one. They just throw languages in there, claiming these are of course supported, yet there is no single or obvious attempt that they have been tested.. its just pure silly stuff to lure you into buying their products.