2018-10-28 15:05:34 (edited by Jaseoffire 2018-10-28 15:09:00)

Right.
1. And besides, that only half gets you around a ban. Actually, I'm curious, why block banned members from viewing the Forum, yet people who have never signed up to the forum can read the publicly contributed content just fine? I mean, guests can't even read profiles these days. Seems odd to me.
2. I again kind of have to lean towards 24 on this one. Something as unprecise as cumulative is probably not something the moderators should be using without a nice decent measure to work off of. Yes, I get why they use it, but it seems to be causing more confusion then it's worth.
3. Regarding information we don't have, I know Iron Cross did mension that at least for this incident, they made minimal attempts to communicate with him. That being said, that isn't much for two reasons: one, hearsay and two, we have no idea how much communication they had with iron cross with the other instances to my knowledge, anyways. (As a slightly off-topic rant about how courts work, why is it that anything a defendant says can be used against them, but if they say something that can be used in their favor it is dismissed as hearsay?)
[edit] I nearly forgot. On the main topic, Aaron has posted a bit more. It isn't much, but does seem to suggest that things are moving forward.

I have a website now.
"C: God's Programming Language
C++: The object-oriented programming language of a pagan deity" -- The Red Book
"There, but for the grace of God go I"

Thumbs up

2018-10-28 16:25:19

Well, truth be told it didn't take long to discover the ban circumvention myself for reasons totally unrelated to this, but it was the only way I could restore access to my own forum installation when I was experimenting with x10. Yes, I did that, I kicked myself off my own forum by mistake. Lol! That being said, agreed with post 23 revealing it like that probably isn't the best idea for you.

Thumbs up

2018-10-28 17:12:48

Okay, let's tackle a few points. I'll try and be quick.

1. Mods know stuff we don't. Mods have contacted Ironcross and talked to him about his behaviour. No history of said interaction has been published. Unless you are assuming mods are flat-out lying about that, this is the definition of stuff the mods know that we don't, and it puts behaviour into perspective, perhaps further justifying the ban. After all, I daresay working with someone who's honestly trying to rein themselves in is a little easier than trying to work with someone who, by his own public admission, is going to say what he thinks no matter the consequences. When faced with such a person, sometimes the only logical choice is to cite cumulative behaviour and cool them off. If you don't agree with this, there'll be no convincing you.
2. Please don't cite numbers to try and invalidate my argument. A few hundred years back, the majority of people thought the earth was flat, and thought that the sun revolved around the earth. They were wrong. The minority was right. Now that obviously doesn't mean I'm right by default, but nor does it mean that the other forum users who agree with you, Ethin, represent the right path simply because it is the loudest. In fact, mob mentality often takes over here, when emotion and gut reaction are substituted in place of reason. I feel this may have happened in some instances, but obviously this is nothing more or less than suspicion on my part, and I'm not going to name names or make accusations. it's just how it looks to me.
3. Cumulative behaviour represents something of a community failure clause. The nature of these clauses is that they are not ironclad, nor are they utterly and completely empirical. This is to say that the feelings, opinions and overall efficacy of the mods comes into play a little bit, and situations which look similar to one person may be viewed through a different lens by those in charge. In other words, if you're predicating your objection to Ironcross's banning on the idea that other people have said x number of inflammatory things without a ban, or on the idea that x thing was more inflammatory than what Ironcross said, you are veering into personal opinion. And that's fine, but you aren't a mod, which means that your opinion, while valid in its own right, need not necessarily count as strongly as theirs. One of the reasons mods act as they do and are chosen as they are is because they try to be as objective as possible; no one gets it right every time. The general tendency of objectors to Ironcross's banning is to cite reasons which betray their personal feelings; this is not objective, therefore it is flawed as an assessment tool.
4. No matter how silly you think someone is being, attacking them instead of deconstructing what they're saying or doing is a bad idea. Ironcross's behaviour, the objectionable stuff I mean, is never, ever justified. If you're that angry about something, walk away. Case and point. I kept getting told by a forum user a month and a bit ago that there is no such thing as white privilege. I got pretty upset about that. But did I attack him brutally or make him feel tiny? No, I don't believe I did. I tore his reasons apart, and I wasn't particularly gentle, but I stopped short of personally insulting him, because such would have a) been against the rules and B) counterproductive to the discussion. If you think that starting to attack someone when you've reached the end of your rope constitutes a fair and reasonable response, then you've said everything I feel I need to hear in support of your stance. Put another way, someone who believes that way is not, in my estimation, not well-armed to make reasonable claims about what forum moderators should or should not be doing.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

Thumbs up +3

2018-10-28 17:57:18

I do think we aught to try to make something that is more impirical, though. For the simple fact that something so subjective makes things muddy and can make understanding rulings for the rest a bit difficult. Their's also the argument that post 69 was not even all that much of a personal attack, making the rule and ruling all the more difficult to interpret. Now, don't get me wrong, there's no way to get everyone on the same page. That's impossible, but the fact that we are here with so many confused, suggests that there was a failing of the system that should be corrected. That being said, intentionally attacking others is a bad idea, and while a personal attack from anyone could be understood, it still couldn't be condoned. Much like that discussion a month or so ago. A lot of us were involved, and while it was very passionate, I do think and hope most of us did avoid personal attacks despite how we felt.

I have a website now.
"C: God's Programming Language
C++: The object-oriented programming language of a pagan deity" -- The Red Book
"There, but for the grace of God go I"

Thumbs up

2018-10-28 20:24:17

@28, I get your point. However, I am still in disagreement over the matter that cumulative behavior is justifiable. As you have no doubt already read, Ironcross32 claims that the mods had practically no discussions with him off-forum about his behavior before that ban. (They said "little" but that's close enough to none.) I have told you what information the moderators can gain access to via the administrative and moderation panels of the site; contacting people off-forum is the only other way they could gain more information, and I, being a friend of Ironcross32, could probably attain the information they discussed from him directly. And while someone who is trying to change versus someone who is not trying to change is a way to measure behavior, it is not an apt one; just because their is cause to believe someone is trying to change does not mean that the normal rules for them are negated prematurely. As I am the one in question who is trying to change, I'd expect, and hope to get, no preferential treatment from the mods. This though should be obvious. Clearly, it is not so obvious; the rules of something should be applied equally with no exceptions and no wiggle room. The interpretation of those rules must be ironclad and unchangeable. Terms used in the rules (and the rules themselves) must be very clearly defined so that no misinterpretation can occur. The only reason that this entire kerfuffle occurred was because this is not the case on this forum, and it should've been the case on this forum since the beginning. Finally, while I may be subjective in my posts above (and even in this one), if you analyze the rules dispassionately and as objective as possible, you will find my posts hold true: just because I am no moderator and each moderator has a lens which they look through, as it were, for each case, the simple fact is that my cumulative behavior has been worse than Ironcross's. Others' behavior has come close to mine. You cannot refute that. As such, it is very, very easy to draw the conclusion that favoritism, or preferential treatment, was in play here. Furthermore it is possible to draw the extended conclusion that one of the mods was just itching for any excuse to remove ironcross from the game, if you will, and they found i and used it, no matter how illogical, questionable, or confusing the reason was. I have given you all the tools to draw this conclusion; I have given you all the information, and then some. If you do not wish to draw that conclusion on your own, then that is perfectly fine; we will just always disagree on this topic. If your a member of a forum or game I run, and I just banned you for "cumulative behavior", and that was the only reason, wouldn't you feel the same? If you woke up one day and saw:
You have been banned from this forum. The ban will expire on <date>. The moderator who banned you gave the following reason:
Cumulative Behavior
Wouldn't you feel outraged and demand more information? If you can't, then you clearly would never challenge authority. IMO that's a pretty bad thing to do -- never challenge authority. That pretty much means said authority can walk all over you and you won't do anything about it. Now, that's not to say that Ironcross's reason was that short or confusing; it does say that, just because you may have a clear understanding of a possible definition (yes, its a possible definition, but most definitely not definitive), does not mean it is the one everyone will come to when they read that and effectively see "X has been banned for cumulative behavior." Think about that -- how confusing does that sound? Not only is it vague, but its a horrible unit of measurement for behavior. Cumulative has four definitions (though the fourth is irrelevant here): Incorporating all current and previous data up to the present or at the time of measuring or collating; That is formed by an accumulation of successive additions; and That tends to accumulate. Note the key words in the first definition -- "all" and "current", and the manner that those words are used, "all and current". If we go by that definition of cumulative, and substitute that in for cumulative in the reason for cumulative behavior, then the reason comes to "all current and previous behavior up to the present or at the time of measuring or collating." Then, though, that means that the moderators went through all 3,603 posts Ironcross32 has made and aggregated his behavior using those posts. The time between the "pending moderator action" in post 70 of that topic and the time it took for the ban to be instigated (approximately 10 hours and 39 minutes) would suggest the impossibility of that. And that is why I am raving about how that reason isn't valid. That is why I am saying that it is ambiguous and mos definitely needs to be undone.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

Thumbs up

2018-10-28 22:30:59 (edited by Jayde 2018-10-28 22:44:07)

I'm torn here. On one hand, I'm thinking of just dismissing your words, Ethin, because I feel as if you may be deliberately running down rabbit-holes in the hopes that I'll chase you and waste my time. On the other hand, however, I respect that you have a differing opinion, and rather than attack or dismiss or otherwise judge you, I wwant to take apart what you're saying.

If you have a forum, and you ban me for "cumulative behaviour", one of two things is guaranteed. In the first scenario, I will know exactly why you banned me; we will have had plenty of run-ins and there will be evidence to suggest that this was a long time coming. I might still be angry or upset, but I'll agree that this was your right as an administrator, even if I didn't see it coming in the moment. The second scenario is one where you want to get rid of me and cite cumulative behaviour where there is none. If I believed this were the case, I would reach out to you, firmly but politely, and ask you for the details surrounding my punishment. I would expect a courteous response possessing evidence to support your action. If you did not, could not or would not support your action, I would leave, dismissing you as someone who abused power. If you provided some sort of proof to justify your punishment, I would analyze it and act in accordance with the validity of the claims.
All very logical, wouldn't you say?
What I would not do, at any time, is freak out and rail about how unfair the world was. I suspect that most people do things for reasons, and even if I can't see them at the present moment, I want to understand them. So you'd better believe I'd investigate, but I'd do so with the idea that I might in fact have deserved whatever I got.

People who are trying vs. people who are deliberately ignoring warnings. That, in fact, does partially determine how a person should be dealt with in a social medium. This is why plea bargains exist. This is why we are taught to own our actions and to apologize. Frankly, we as people usually find it easier to cope with a wrong if we know the person who committed it is sorry, and/or committed to trying to undoing it or otherwise making good on it. If someone hurts you and you think they genuinely are trying to do better, aren't you apt to give them a bit more leeway than someone who essentially says "yeah, sorry, but I don't care that you got hurt. I don't feel I should have to change."? I suspect that most readers would agree that this is the case. And if it's the case for us as individuals, why would it not be the case for this forum? Perhaps you have, if we tried to somehow total up all your offenses, been deserving of punishment, Ethin; there is little way to objectively quantify this, however, but roll with it for a moment. You are trying to be a good member of this forum. You try and take warnings and admonitions and advice to mind if you can. You are, in point of fact, considerably better than you used to be. This means that working with you instead of just dropping the hammer makes sense. With Ironcross, though, if he has been as resistant as he has outwardly appeared, then that same sense of mutual accommodation is just not going to stretch as far. And that's just how the social world works.

Now, let's talk a little more about Ironcross.
Mods say they had reached out to him before. That's their word. Ironcross says this was minimal. That's his word.
I'd rather believe a team of people trying to be objective than I would a person who by his own admission wants to tell it like it is. Maybe this would be a mistake in some instances, but my instinct here is to trust the word of the administrators until given good reason to do otherwise. I have not, as yet, received such reason.
What is more, I know because I have witnessed it that Ironcross has received many warnings and admonitions in public both from mods and from a few other users as well. This man cannot in good conscience claim ignorance. As such, the exact amount of communication between Ironcross and the moderation team is almost irrelevant. Both sides seem to agree that there was contact and some attempt to mitigate damage being done. That is good enough. Ironcross cannot claim he did not know what he was doing, or that he did not realize he was causing harm in certain cases. The likelihood, based on empirical evidence provided by Ironcross himself, is that he decided, perhaps while angry and in the heat of several moments, to go on behaving the same way. He perhaps did not want to bow to authority, or make gentler his opinions in order to satisfy a protesting few. He did not want to be told what to say and what not to say. I will not speculate upon this further, beyond saying that when you combine all of these details and look at it reasonably, this ban was a long time coming.

And let's finish with a flourish. Cumulative behaviour does not mean that any time anything new happens, you have to go recategorize everything that came before. That is not what the definition said, and any attempt to defend that position is failed sophistry, nothing more and nothing less. Cumulative, in essence, refers to something which is added to. All this means is that several prior situations had been put aside with notes that further behaviour of a similar type would be indication that retaliatory action was indicated. That further action became necessary in the eyes of the mods when Ironcross's antagonism continued unabated. Warnings had been of little to no effect. Prior examples of unacceptable behaviour were remembered and referenced; the exact time it took, and the exact method of reference, are irrelevant.
I'll give a really silly, simple example.
Let's say that you're operating in a social situation where the word "blue" is a bad word, and so is the word "rock". Well, let's say you've used those words a total of twenty-seven times, and we've decided that twenty-eight times means you get in serious trouble. Well, every time you've said "rock" or "blue", I've made a little note of it. And since I'm a reasonable person who knows how to count, I'm keeping track of how close to the edge you're getting. So finally you say it one more time. I do not have to comb my references to see where each and every instance of the words were said before. As long as I trust my bookkeeping - which I do - you're hung. This is a prime example of cumulative behaviour. If you had only said one of those bad words just once, then of course you're not in any trouble. The problem is, you kept doing it. You did it after you had been asked not to. You did it with full knowledge that the behaviour was unacceptable. So you pay the price for willfully going against the way the social system is being run.
I suspect your issue is that there is no hard and fast way by which to measure this sort of bad behaviour. What constitutes a step toward trouble and what doesn't? Are they ever undone with prolonged with good behaviour? How much is too much?
And let me go one step further, myself. Most of the time, in my experience, when people get hung up on details like this, it's not because those details are missing and shouldn't be. it's because they're caught and their platform is busted, and they bloody well know it. In most instances I've seen, the people who want every iota of transgression spelled out are people who are taking exception when someone else finally decided they'd had enough of a certain behaviour. They're usually looking for things to be spelled out so that they can utterly destroy the first person who makes a single misstep in the application of those more specific rules. Furthermore, and perhaps most important, they are often looking for ways to dance around the limitations put on them by said rules. Let's be real here for a moment. Most people who break a community failure clause this way know exactly what they're doing, and they're going to push and push and push no matter how many caveats and clauses you place in the rules. Because it isn't about not knowing where good behaviour ends and bad behaviour begins. It is very demonstrably about saying whatever you think you can, and to hell with whatever conventions are being used to curtail your freedom of speech. Ironcrossed kept on shoving forward, even after repeated warnings. Finally, the mods used their own power and shoved back a little, hopefully helping the community a little in the process.

Thumbs up +4

2018-10-28 23:36:49 (edited by Ethin 2018-10-28 23:41:51)

@31, that's the problem. Your comparison to the forum vs. your example just doesn't work. I'm not saying that whenever someone generates an offense/rule violation we should re-categorize every offense they've done thus far. I am saying that the term "cumulative behavior" is incredibly vague and very difficult to measure. Its also not something easily justifiable. Literally, if I banned you and my only reason were the two words "cumulative behavior", I'm quite positive you'd feel angry if not outraged. The two words "cumulative behavior" have no meaning when just given as a reason to ban someone. A further explanation is needed, not just two words. if someone were to ban me because of "cumulative behavior", and that's all they said for the ban reason -- "cumulative behavior" -- I mos certainly would request far more information than just that. On the other hand, if their reason was "your behavior of constantly insulting, belittling, and generally... etc." (replace ... with a remaining reason), I would be far more understanding. When you ban someone, you don't provide two words that have an infinite number of definitions depending on who you ask. You give a one-two sentence, maybe three sentence, reason of why they were banned. At least then your reason is clear and is much harder to argue with. The same concept applies to moderation warnings: if the moderators gave one-three word moderation warnings, or even four, and not a full post like they do now, we'd never get anywhere because everyone would be arguing over the interpretation of those 2-4 words, and no bans could actually take place because no actual interpretation would be found. The thing is, the more compact you make a sentence, or a phrase, the more interpretations it has. The less words you supply to describe something, or to reason something, equals the more interpretations that your words mean, which makes it possible for an infinite number of conclusions to be drawn.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

Thumbs up

2018-10-28 23:50:46

Except, again, Ironcross cannot claim innocence.There is no way he saw the words "cumulative behaviour" and did not know what it meant. If he was truly innocent, different story. I'd agree with you. If you were getting a first warning, then those words are vague. Totally not the case here, however, and now I feel like there's a lot of straw-grasping going on here. It's already been established that the cumulative behaviour was of the antagonistic/confrontational variety. I think this is beyond any reasonable doubt. So when it's finally cited as the reason for his ban, it makes sense. Why state in detail what you've already taken pains to cite and re-cite over and over before, when it has done little good?

Nah, this argument's busted.

Thumbs up +1