2018-10-15 23:44:36 (edited by Quasar 2018-10-16 00:48:49)

I just wanted to draw everyone's attention to a blog post on Black Screen Gaming regarding the goings on on this forum. I will not give my thoughts on the post here other than to say it is rather long and seems thoroughly researched. You can make your own opinions.
The link is https://blog.blackscreengaming.com/ag-f … 0/15/2018/
After my initial post, I learned the post's author had posted in off topic, which you can find here: http://forum.audiogames.net/viewtopic.php?id=26153

2018-10-15 23:48:03

This was posted in the off topic room as well, but I imagine this forum gets a lot more foot traffic, so probably doesn't hurt to have it here too.

Much less active on this forum than in the past.

Check out my live streams: http://lerven.me
follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/liamerven

2018-10-16 00:19:43

was the actual rant posted here? or just on that website. if he has a problem with audio games.net, why not say it here.

that particular place just seems to be a soapbox for him and a few others to complain and bitch about things on. it is a very negative place to visit but I had to go read that post to see what he said.

I'm not going to go in to what I think about it, all I will say is I find it rather petty and cowardly to insult the mods on here, especially going after one in particular  on another site.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

Thumbs up

2018-10-16 00:36:42

At Badger, take a look at the OT room, he posted the original topic there, this was just a repost.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

Thumbs up

2018-10-16 00:48:57 (edited by cartertemm 2018-10-16 00:51:41)

The original topic is over here:

http://forum.audiogames.net/viewtopic.php?id=26153

@3
Regardless of your opinion of the blog, which has quite a few serious reviews as well as comical posts of bitching not entirely meant to be taken seriously, I can see the amount of time that went into this, it's put together pretty professionally. If you consider such hard work, evidence and negativity to be a waste of time, totally fine. Your certainly entitled to your opinion. If you got so far through that appalling negativity, you'll see quite clearly where he presents link after link to backup his claims. With Dark using the close button as if it's going out of style, I presume Smoke wanted a place for his text to live without mod hat personal matters getting in the way. This is not cowardly.

You know what's cowardly?
Forcefully closing topics that don't meet your personal criteria of acceptable, without confronting genuine concerns that have to do with a reason.
The site is completely irrelevant, as comments are open and you are free to voice these complaints of yours as loudly as you might wish

Thumbs up +2

2018-10-16 01:47:56

@5 thanks for that. I couldn't find the topic in off topic. so I apologise and retract what I said about being petty and cowardly.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

Thumbs up

2018-10-16 03:26:18

MODERATION:

This topic is in the wrong place and is being moved to Site and Forum Feedback where it belongs. Mwah ha ha ha ha!

Just myself, as usual.

2018-10-16 08:07:00

I'm not really sure on what to say about this. Is this blog post made in an in tempt to brake the whole Audiogames forum? Is it made to force Dark to give up on his job as a moderator? I don't really see the point of this blog post and the good things which should come out of this.
The blog post is only mentioning Dark as a moderator, but people properly don't know how much Dark are talking to the other moderators. How much help does he get from the other moderators to moderate the forum? How many disisions are he forced to make on his own? There are so many unanswered questions, so I only see this huge blog post as an extreme insult on Dark as an active moderator, and a big complaint of the forum in generel.
I'll say all the time which has been put into this huge blog post is a waist of time in my opinion, because for me, at leased, it's hard to get the conclusion of the blog post, and what the positive goal is about it.
I feer this blog post can end up braking the whole Audiogames forum and the whole moderation team.
I will never be a moderator for this forum because of all those complains, and mainly because of this blog post. All this bad stuff is simply not worth my time. This is what people get out of such many complains. People give up, people who might think about doing some volunteer jobs are being pushed away, because they feel they only get negative comments and complains out of it. I could do more here on the forum, but I don't want to, because I'm tired of all those complains no matter what people are doing. An other reason for I'll never be a moderator is simply because my english is not good enough.
Finally, if people are having such big issues with Dark or any other persons, they should have taken all this privately. Again, there are so many questions which has not been answered.
Well. We'll see what happens. I hope the best.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2018-10-16 14:25:53

@SLJ: Going purely based on what was laid out in the blog, you can see that Smoke had no malice towards Dark as a person, and it was originally intended to be based on moderation actions as a whole. Fact of the matter is that all the examples kept leading back to him, and I wasn't involved in the whole Walter situation so didn't know what to make of all the information from different sources concerning it *who's friends with who, etc.* But this blog post connected all the dots. And the fact that he interviewed some moderators concerning it should tell you he doesn't have anything against the team, either.

Thumbs up +1

2018-10-16 14:28:05

Also, to be honest if you're gonna discuss this it would probably be best to move it over to this topic over here. More of the discussion is over there. Originally this thread was in general game discussion and the other was in off topic, but now that they've both been moved it's probably best to stick to one thread when they're both in the same room.

Thumbs up

2018-10-17 08:42:20

Hi.
@Jack: That was also what I got out of the blog post at the beginning, but reading all the facts and complains in the rest of the blog post, it could seem like a big complaint.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2018-10-17 14:39:20

It's kind of a shame we can't merge threads, but I agree the discussion has grown in the other topic, and I've contributed again although I don't have too much new to say. That topic has over 90 posts now.

Thumbs up

2018-10-27 03:07:47

I read that huge wall of a blog post, and here are my thoughts.

1. The author is more guilty of character assassination than I've ever personally seen before on his forum. Hands down. No doubt about it. If that's not a character assassination of Dark, I don't know what counts.
2. Dark has occasionally made me wonder when he does (or doesn't) drop warnings. Yes, I'll admit that right up front. Usually I can see it, occasionally I can't. But what I will say is that I have disagreed with Dark literally dozens of times and, to my knowledge, have never even received a warning, much less a ban. The repeated insistence that Dark can't be disagreed with is ludicrous. Is he perfect? Hell no. None of us are perfect. But is he some power-hungry tyrant who can't stand being crossed? Perish the thought.
3. Ironcross. That guy was itching for a ban. It was well-deserved. He has repeatedly and with great glee flouted his "I'm going to say it like it is" mentality. He takes no prisoners and does not care who he insults if he thinks he's right. I've seen this more than a dozen times just on my own. He should know, as an adult who has presumably read the rules of the forum, that this is a bad idea, and is generally conducive to a toxic forum atmosphere; instead of realizing this, he doubles down. He had this coming. If he was given more rope, and then used it to hang himself, then yes, I may have questions about why he received rope to begin with, but the fault is with him for using it. Most people, if given a little more leeway, should know better than to abuse it, and should take their reprieve for what it is.
4. JimmyDubb. This guy was repeatedly talking about cracking games. He was happy about it. I was part of one of said conversations,I believe. If he got a lifetime ban it's because of his attitude alongside his actions.
5. The situation with Lori and Walter. I haven't gone digging yet, but here's the thing. One's first impulse should be to believe a victim, particularly in cases like these. It doesn't mean the victim is beyond reproach or can't lie, but most people do not lie about this sort of thing, statistically speaking. Some will, but most don't. When Dark began by doing what he did, I supported him. If he truly has ignored or falsified evidence to support the narrative of a friend rather than face of the truth of false alligations, that's pretty slimy though. I don't like a person who really is not guilty being smeared. At the same time, I don't like it when the general mentality of a community is to assume that the mods are wrong and that the victim is lying, and from even just reading the blog post, there's clearly a victim-blaming bias at play to some extent.
6. I have to stress this again. I'd love to know how I've been a member here for 13 years, have said some pretty sharp things to people, have visibly disagreed with Dark and other mods at times, have even gotten a bit heated and personal at times, am not in anybody's pocket, yet have never received even a warning. How is it that I apparently know how to conduct myself on a forum enough that I haven't been banned, yet every example (barring the questionable Walter incident) has dealt with people who got themselves banned? It kinda blows my mind. And given that there are hundreds of other users who, like me, have never been warned or banned, it strikes me that perhaps the occasional blip is the exception rather than the rule. Have a chew on that if perhaps that BSG post was swaying you.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

Thumbs up +7

2018-10-27 07:52:33 (edited by Ethin 2018-10-27 07:55:24)

@13, I'll reitterate what I said in the other BSG topic: I entirely disagree with ironcross's banning. He and I have similar ideas, and I bet you many, many other people do the same thing, and yet they haven't been banned themselves. Not just that but the reasoning behind it is indefensible. "Cumulative actions". What, exactly, does that mean? It means anything the mods want it to mean. It has no proscribed definition, and if the mods start hurling that around for ban justification, they're basically telling you that they can ban you for any reason, and will happily do so even if it violates their own rules, even if their actions make them look like a hypocrite, in the process. Whether ironcross had it coming is 100-percent irrelevant. What he said on the topic that got him banned was not a forum rule violation whatsoever. He only did what any of us would've done in his place on that topic; go read the topic where he was banned and then tell us, in this topic, honestly, if you could remain civil and calm to a person who did that to you. I sincerely doubt anyone has the patience and latitude to repeatedly tell someone practically the same time over and over and over endlessly because that someone refused to listen to anything they said and only came up with bullshit reasons to combat your arguments, reasons that were entirely invalid. So tell me, how is telling someone to stop their "blindy excuse bullshit" a violation of the forum rules? I assure you, it is not. Anywhere. Considering how violent other forums can get, that term adequately describes what catchio72 was doing, and if he had done that on another forum the exchange of words would've been a hell of a lot harsher. Hell, before post 69 Ironcross was actually trying to help, yet catchio72 wouldn't listen, and so Ironcross finally snapped. As anyone would in that situation.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

Thumbs up +1

2018-10-27 09:17:01 (edited by defender 2018-10-27 09:19:16)

@jade
I mean the result may be character assassination, but we can only hope that cooler heads prevail, and the guy did say multiple times that he didn't go into the situation hoping to find any dirt on Dark, and actually had no problem with him before that.
So if you don't believe him personally, that's fine, but it's kind of hard to make that case then on a gut feeling.
Dark fears the mob mentality, I thought this even before the blog post, so closing down entire topics he thinks are getting out of hand, but really aren't if you look at them like a mod should (checking for rule violations) is not quite the same thing as being mostly hands off and giving out tons of warnings to individuals.
I really didn't see much victim  blaming either, and I don't even like Smoke that much so I'm not biased in that department. Since it was after the fact and he seemed to have good evidence showing that the supposed victim deserved blame, I don't see much of an issue.
The only thing is that I'm not sure exactly what Walter did do (if anything) to piss Lorry off so much, so he probably isn't completely innocent, but internet relationship problems that don't cause actual harm don't equal what she ended up doing to him, hence the anger.
I completely agree with points 3 and 4 and mostly agree with point 5 though...
Well written post.

@ethin
Yeah I can understand reaching the end of your fuse, but Ironcross doesn't really try to control him self at all, and Dark often warns people based on their toxicity in a thread and uses their words as an example of that, which falls in line with the rules just fine.
So I'm relatively confident that what Ironcross said would have gotten him a warning even if he had been someone else, or said it months ago, which then would make sense as a final straw.
And for the most part, people seem to agree with that style of moderation and understand it... After all similar things happen on other forums quite a bit as well, and rules can't perfectly cover every exact situation.
Either way, even if your anger seems justified, if you let your self blow up like that, than consequences are likely to occur. That's just the risk you take when you post, no one made him lose control ultimately but him self, we're not machines with predictable programming that we can't break for the most part.

Here's an example, Because I'm bored.
Bob (because I think the name Bob is amusing) (a 43 year old city clerk) is tired of his college kid neighbors having constant parties with loud music late into the night while he's trying to sleep for the next days work, and the police don't really seem to care, let alone the kids them selves, who just make fun of him and slam the door in his face when ever he kindly asks them to be a bit more respectful of others, and this has been going on for 3 months now.
Eventually, Bob gets so damn tired of it all that he storms over their and confronts one of the home owners with a baseball bat. At first he means to simply scare them (play up the crazy neighbor vibe even if he's not actually crazy) in order to hopefully get them to stop. But the hungover kid is just so disrespectful and selfish that something in Bob snaps and he sees red.
Next thing you know, the college kid is in critical condition in the hospital and looking like he was in a car crash. Several broken ribs, a serious concussion with some bleeding on the brain, a few compressed vertebrae, broken jaw and nose, fractured eye socket, and a shattered forearm and dislocated shoulder from where he tried to shield his face.
The kids slutty part time girlfriend is crying and playing it up for the news cameras, his equally shitty roommates are asking (why) as if they didn't know, and the kids parents (the very same ones who failed to teach him respect in the first place) are alternately crying and screaming for Bob to get a life sentence and milking the situation for all it's worth with an online fundraiser, even though they're already well off enough to pay for his hospital bills.
Meanwhile, Bob is sitting in a jail cell, contemplating where it all went wrong after talking to his elderly mother on the phone, trying to explain to her why he nearly killed a guy for being a nuisance, when that guy never actually lay a finger on Bob, and wondering if he'll still have any friends when he gets out (if he gets out...) since his lawyer said self defense was out of the window in his state and he should probably just plead guilty, after all he had no history of mental impairment before the incident either...

So ask your self this, was it right for Bob to nearly kill that kid? Was it okay?
I mean obviously you have to feel for the guy, his livelihood and mental health were being threatened, for weeks he was nicer to these fuckers than what they deserved, and you can make the case that, even if these people were still young, showing such an attitude past their early teens meant they were probably not going to get a hole lot better with age, and were basically just Oxygen thieves anyway.
But, this kid is looking at months of recovery and likely recurring pain for his entire life. He may not be able to do certain activities unless he wants to risk recurring injury, and he's going to look like shit for a while do to his facial injuries, which to this kid means quite a bit, him being a socialite and all...
Not only that, but he's going to have to sit in court across from the guy that made him feel so powerless and took months off his life and testify against him eventually, and he's dreading it with every fiber of his being.

Thumbs up +1

2018-10-27 12:07:24 (edited by TJT1234 2018-10-27 12:14:54)

Ethin wrote:

"Cumulative actions". What, exactly, does that mean? It means anything the mods want it to mean. It has no proscribed definition

I would have thought that the definition is quite obvious, but let me draw a comparison. Being on a forum like this and receiving moderation warnings is like being a few steps away from the edge of a cliff. Each time you do something that would give you a moderation warning on the forum, you are taking one step closer to the edge of the cliff. Of course, moderation warnings vary in their severity—some might only be a small shuffle closer to the edge of the cliff, while others are a leap. Eventually, the moderators have had enough of your lack of adherence to the forum rules and have banned you—you have stepped off the cliff.

But I imagine that you are protesting, "But that's all subjective." Yes, it is subjective, but most reasonable people would agree with the decisions of the moderators of this forum. Please do not take this as a personal attack, but your history of being banned on this forum shows that you obviously do not always agree with the moderators' judgements about acceptable behavior.

Now, I want to remind you of something. As far as I am aware, you are not required to use this forum. Every time you open this website, read posts and write replies are personal choices that you are able to stop if you want to. If you disagree with the moderation decisions and the rules of conduct on this forum, you need to conciously ask yourself why you continually contribute to these discussions. While Orko may have faults, I admire how when he realized that he disagreed with some of the forum's moderation procedures, he decided to leave. You have that choice too. Please bear in mind that I am not telling you to leave—firstly, your user karma score shows that you are definitely held in high esteem by the community; and secondly, I am only stating it because that option can sometimes disappear in one's mind in the heat of anger.

Ethin wrote:

[Ironcross32] only did what any of us would've done in his place on that topic; go read the topic where he was banned and then tell us, in this topic, honestly, if you could remain civil and calm to a person who did that to you.

I have had disagreements with people on this forum, and I always remind myself of the rules of conduct. I can either continue respectuflly contributing to the discussion, or can resign myself to the adage "we can agree to disagree" and stop contributing to that topic. that option was open to Ironcross32; he just continued to contribute to a discussion when most people could have assumed the discussion would have been fruitless.

Once again, I will state that I do not want to start another argument, so please either accept my opinions or respectfully disagree with them.

Thumbs up

2018-10-27 12:57:39

@15 you can't really compare those two examples. In the situation with brandon and Caccio, brandon verbally lost it after several attempts of being nice, and told him to quit using his disability as an excuse. In your example, someone physically attacks someone else and they end up in the hospital. Did caccio end up in the hospital, carry serious injuries, hover between life and death, or even consider ending his own life after reading brandon's (might I say justifyable) remark? No, he didn't. He's just as alive and well as before he read it, so comparing brandon's post to being beaten within one inch of your life just doesn't work.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

Thumbs up

2018-10-27 13:12:19

Defender's example doesn't fully work, but I see what he's getting at. He's trying to say that ultimately, if you snap and lose control, no matter the reason or the consequences, it is your decision, and you have to bear responsibility for what happens.

Ethin, in the thread (which I'd already read, btw), I'd either have walked away or continued being civil. I'm not going to sit here and tell you I've never gotten heated, but I don't think I've ever really and truly slammed someone before, not in the way some other forum users have. If I have, it's been rare and I've never followed it up with worse. I'm not perfect, and I know it. The point is, however, that Ironcross became particularly confrontational when there was no cause. If that example was taken all on its own, then no, he doesn't get a ban. Given his tendency to double down and challenge/confront/attack people, though? I'd say he had it coming.
The assumption that anyone in their right mind would've said something sharp is simply ludicrous. There was a long and rather convoluted discussion about politics a few weeks back. Lots of things to be upset about in that topic. And I'm pretty sure no mod warnings were handed out. Know why? Because even when people (self included) got a bit annoyed, we didn't really attack each other. We disagreed, sometimes vehemently, with the situation. I don't know what's so hard to understand here.

Thumbs up +1

2018-10-27 13:25:26

The idea you should initially believe the victim is the dumbest fucking thing I've heard today.
Let's instead propose everyone innocent until evidently proven guilty.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube
Leave a thumbs up if you like what I write.

Thumbs up +2

2018-10-27 15:24:30 (edited by Jaseoffire 2018-10-27 15:27:56)

Regarding the whole blaming the victim thing:
1. I don't think 13 meant it as the victim is infallible and should be given the world on a silver platter, but while the victim should be believed, if punitive actions must be taken, a varification step has to be their, and the more serious the punishment, the more scrutiny has to be applied to the situation. The more serious the crime, the more chance we should give to the defendant. After all, the more serious the crime, the harsher the punishment. And severely punishing an innocent person makes us no better than the criminals we seek to catch. Where's the justice in criminals punishing other criminals?
(edit) I forgot my second point. Oops...
2. The matter of victim blaming is actually kind of irrelevant here. The evidence is now on the table. If  anyone still  is holding on to cards from that long ago, I guess now would be the time to play them, but that situation is passed. The only fault I'd give now is that this whole issue was never addressed sooner. It's been allowed to fester perhaps a little too long and should probably be resolved sooner rather than later. The rest of Smoke's post could be mostly helped with a rules update. Maybe some sentencing guidelines for the Mods would go a long way.

I have a website now.
"C: God's Programming Language
C++: The object-oriented programming language of a pagan deity" -- The Red Book
"There, but for the grace of God go I"

Thumbs up

2018-10-27 17:28:55

Two things here though:
1. I didn't see Lori come forward to confess, which means we're relying on evidence. Evidence which could be falsified. Evidence which has not been obtained from totally objective third-party sources. Someone set me straight if I'm wrong here. This means that virtually all of the evidence is tainted. Again, not saying that means you give a free pass to anyone, not at all, but it does mean you can't just say "Oh, well, someone came forward with evidence in defense of Walter/in condemnation of Lori, so now we can act instantly". It's really, really tricky.
2. Victim blaming. See, here's the deal. No, victims are not right by default, but they should be treated as if they aren't lying. This means that if a victim makes a claim, an authority figure's first and best move is to essentially say "Okay, let me go investigate that", with the full expectation that there is, in fact, something to investigate. They aren't doing it to shut the victim up, nor with the overbearing assumption that the victim is lying. Now if the victim was not, in fact, a victim, and is lying? Then you turn it around, obviously. But when I say that we start by believing the victim, what I mean to say is that we should operate from a position of initial belief rather than initial skepticism. The defendant should not be punished until or unless there is subsequent proof against them, but they absolutely should be investigated in a fair and honest manner; if they're innocent, after all, their name will certainly be cleared.

Thumbs up

2018-10-27 20:22:58

@15, I get what your getting at, but the comparison just doesn't really work. I, myself, act like the way Ironcross32 does, or they way others might, because I don't like to just "accept things" as how they work. Take, for example, the question of 'why'? When we asked that of the mods, the question of 'why'?, they only responded with some vague (and ambiguous) response of, "Oh, his cumulative behavior". Do note that one of Smoke's observations about that topic was 100-percent accurate: 3/4ths of the posters on that topic disagreed with the banning. No insults were exchanged, no outrageous angry marks were posted, just heated words (since the mods appeared to not be listening). Yet dark classified it as the "mob mentality" and/or "heated discussion" just because practically all of us who posted in that topic disagreed with his banning, and were basically demanding its revocation. Here's the thing: while I understand that it is ultimately up to the moderators on the forum, the forum moderators should listen to the users when they want the mods to do something like revoke a ban because an overwhelming majority considers the banning to be unjustified and said overwhelming majority isn't going to go through every single post of the bannee to figure out the 'cumulative behavior'. And that is exactly why I consider the banning reason to be entirely invalid and unjustifiable: the term 'cumulative behavior' could mean his behavior since he became a member here, his behavior within the last month, or his behavior within any other time frame. Hell, it could be entirely unrelated to his behavior within a certain time frame at all and could be related to his behavior on one topic, or his behavior in a few posts, etc. There is no true definition and it is up to the moderators to determine which interpretation fits the situation. The problem with that approach is that it gives the moderators dictatorial rights: they can choose who to ban, when to carry out the ban, and they can justify it with the reason of 'cumulative behavior' instead of actually giving a satisfactory answer like 'his repeated insulting and attacks on other members of this forum', which is a much more justifiable reason (and makes a lot more sense). Allow me to re-post the post that the mods banned him for:

ironcross32 wrote:

@67 I'm not trying to *tell* you what to do. I'm informing you that your habits are unhealthy, but hey, if you want to remain in that way then do it. What I do want is for you to stop the god damn blindie excuse shit, that's all I want. I don't know why you keep skating around the point, refusing to acknowledge it. If you want to grumble grumble, fine, but quit making us all look bad, because that's exactly what you're doing. I've tried several times in a more polite way to explain this.

Nothing in this post is a violation of the forum rules, yet the moderators banned him because he posted that. Yes, he swor, but that's perfectly fine (if it hasn't and the moderators have decided to limit our right of free speech, I haven't heard), and he used the term "blindy excuse bullshit", which is (a slightly less polite) way of saying "your disability to get your way". Let's now look at my post, post 46.

Ethin wrote:

I agree with Jace here. Honestly, Caccio72, throwing around various cards only makes your case worse for you and only proves the mods points. If you acted like this on a full-on sited gamers forum you'd be banned within a day of you registering and ostin this kind of bullshit. Be greatful that the mods on here are lenient enough to not be so ruthless -- a sited gamers forum would definitely outright hate you. Hell, most people on the net would outright dislike you just because of this behavior. The world is not all peachy and rosy. The world is not a place where you can pull stunts like this and expect to get away with it because you have a disability. And the world is definitely not forgiving, either. And with the internet, that will only be emphasized more so. I bet you that 340 years from now, people will have archives of this forum and will be derisive towards your comments on here. Or they'll be questioning your sanity. Cause things on the net have a nasty tendency to stick around for much longer periods than you like. Stop throwing around the victim/disabled/blindness card -- it will do nothing for you that will be good for you or your health, and I think if you tried pulling that shit in front of anyone they'd either be very, very harsh to you, or they'd pull you in a back alleyway and beat the living daylights out of you to prove to you that just because your blind, or disable,d or think you've been wronged, gives you no right to attempt to use it to get people to believe you. I'm siting with the mod here. And I honestly don't get why your complaining about a 10 day ban anyway. Its 10 days! Days! Not 10 weeks, or 10 years, 10 days! get over it!

This post is a hell of a lot harsher than post 69 was. Yet I got absolutely no warning, no ban, nothing. That makes me think the mods are committing the act of favoritism, which really hurts the entire mods team. If the mods are going to ban Ironcross for a post that really didn't violate the forum rules at all, then they should go an ban well over 40 percent of the posters on there for "cumulative behavior". Wouldn't that then make all the bans fair? No? I didn't think so. My behavior on this forum has been far, far worse than Ironcross32's has ever been, and if the mods are going to ban him for the post above (yes, they did site the post above for his initial reason before backtracking and siting cumulative behavior as the other reason after the community practically demanded a fuller explanation), they might as well ban me too -- after all, its "cumulative behavior", right? And that means the mods can ban anyone so long as they can classify it as "cumulative behavior" which could mean anything under the sun? Right? Yeah, I didn't think you'd agree with that idea either. But it underscores my point that this ban was certainly unjustifiable; if Ironcross had it coming, you could technically argue that I not only have gotten into far worse fights than he has, but I've also exchanged far harsher words with others than he has, and yet only he gets banned. Yep, looks like favoritism to me. Then again, the ban really isn't effective; it takes only a deletion of the AG.NET cookie from your browse, a VPN (if they banned your IP) and boom, you can circumvent the ban and view the posts as a guest -- which is pretty much like viewing them like a member accept for the fact that you can't post. And yes, I said that, strictly because its practically an open secret and I'm guessing everyone who's ever banned has used it. Its not that hard to do.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

Thumbs up

2018-10-28 08:20:10

Couple of things:

1. I didn't know that about getting around a ban, but what you just did was to technically air a way for people to circumnavigate a punishment. Instead of relying on their outside knowledge, you fed it to them. Past this point, anyone who circumnavigates a ban may very well have part of their choice laid at your feet. it would be their choice to do the wrong thing, but you enabled it, so you're partway on the hook.
2. You are actually just strengthening the point of the mods. Cumulative behaviour is, in fact, an excellent reason to ban someone if their individual offenses are not enough, each by each, to merit bans. I've said before and will say again: Ironcross's single post about the "blindie bullshit" is not particularly bad; it's confrontational and definitely skirts that line of personal attack, I think, but I've seen far worse, even from Ironcross himself. This was a proverbial straw breaking that oft-cited camel's back. He got three months for it. I don't know what part of "repeated attempts to reach him" and "multiple attempts to reform his behaviour" is not clicking here. The man decided that all the mod warnings in the world were not sufficient, that his God-given right to be confrontational and sometimes downright antagonistic took center stage and did not require answering to anyone. Here's the problem though. This place is a community, and that community has rules, and one of those rules involves, essentially, playing nice. Ironcross really wasn't playing nice, so the mods decided to cool him off. I think this was a fair decision...tough, yes, but fair. When someone repeatedly ignores warnings to shape up, what do you do? Keep warning ad infinite? No. You take action. That is precisely why mods exist...to take action when action needs to be taken.
3. And mob mentality...oh boy, don't even get me started. You know, when a pile of people howl for blood, or for something to be undone, that A) doesn't mean they're right and B) constitutes the very mob mentality that Dark has often brought up. The fact is simple. We, as everyday users, are not privy to all the info that goes back and for th, either between a banned/punished individual and the mod team, or between mods themselves. For anyone to say that a mod was not justified is ludicrous, because it presupposes that we know all the facts when that's logically very unlikely. But wait! I hear you asking, "Jayde, why can a ban be fully justifiable while a reversal isn't?". Here's why. Because you're proving guilt publicly, and there has been more than enough public demonstration to justify this ban, even adopting a relatively gentle application of the game's rules. I've been here a long time. This is the most straight-up antagonism I've seen in awhile, maybe ever really. So the mods, who know even more than we do, saw this and acted. What makes you, or anyone else, think you know better than the mods, who by the very nature of their position are given to know things we aren't? I'm not saying mods are beyond all question, but this is a serious point. Some people keep acting as if the mods are just flat wrong, that they should cave to pressure and unban Ironcross. But your only real demonstration here is one of force, not reason, and let me tell you, that's not going to win arguments on a forum like this. Try logic; it might do you a little better.

Thumbs up +4

2018-10-28 10:04:03

@23, OK... lets address your points:
1. Not necessarily, no, the choice would not be laid at my feet. Its not that hard to figure out, and anyone who has contacts with those who have been banned before can just ask that person and learn how. So while suspicion can be laid at my feet, said suspicion won't do much. Doing that is a classic ban evading technique. Its nothing knew, I assure you.
2. No, I'm not. Their sole reason for banning him, before we practically forced them to alter their reasoning, was because of post 69. That was entirely the reason. Then they changed it to cumulative behavior. That, in turn, only cast even greater doubt on the reason and its validity; someone who does something for a flimsy reason that doesn't hold up to scrutiny and then alters their reason to something that is ambiguous at best and downright invalid at worst only makes the logic behind such reasoning even harder to grasp. That person can try and explain it, but it will only earn then questions since the first reason they gave made the community doubt them, so all that altering their reasoning is doing is making the community doubt their reasoning even greater. The only way to fix that is to come up with a reason that makes sense to a majority of the community at best (since that can't be attained for everyone), or a majority of those involved, something that did not happen in this situation.
3. Your right. We don't know everything that the mods know. But being someone who has been an administrator of a PunB forum before (not this one, but one I ran once), I can tell you that most of the information they can gather isn't really that much: IP addresses, geolocation (though that's external and not in PunBB), user-filed reports (which includes reports filed by moderators and administrators alike), controls over the site as a hole, the ability to install and remove plugins, the ability to set the forum in maintenance mode (which denies everyone but administrators), access to debug mode, and a few more, most of which are entirely unrelated to user information. Other than that, the mods can look through user post/topic history (which anyone can do) and can forcibly alter a users profile information. (I think the PM plugin lets them also read users PMs, though I don't know.) The only other way of gathering information is to contact users off-forum. So, knowing all of this, I can tell you that there really isn't much more information that the mods can get that a normal user can't. And while a mob mentality is most dfinitely not always the way to go about things and accomplish things, it sometimes is the only way for someone (or something such as a government) to realize that they've fucked up very, very badly (and sometimes that doesn't work, which most of the time leads to a revolution).
Also, it would not be difficult for a user to go back and read all of Ironcross32's forum posts and topics he's created. So no, cumulative behavior is not a valid reason, given all that I have listed above. I have also explained to you -- thrice, I think -- how I have been much harsher than Ironcross32 has ever been, yet I was never banned for a reason such as "cumulative behavior". I was not banned like Ironcross32 was, yet my post, post 4, was much harsher. Therefore, the only logical conclusion that can be drawn is that the ban was unjustified. Perhaps it is you who is thinking illogically and not me. you are, after all, in a very tiny minority who thinks that his ban was justified. If you can explain to me how his cumulative behavior (of supposedly always saying "That is stupid you stupid idiot!" to someones face whenever he thinks their wrong, which is sometimes a necessary thing to do if someone absolutely refuses to listen to your point of the argument, and therefore cannot always be classified as an attack or offense) is worth a ban and mine isn't (of me doing both -- saying "I don't agree with you" and "That is stupid you stupid idiot!"), and actually make it not look like favoritism or the deliberate use of an ambiguous reason that is very, very hard to justify without a 304-word post (that basically says that it is possible to disagree with a situation but not with the person posting the viewpoint that caused that situation, which is impossible), I'd love to here it. So, go on.

My Github

Thumbs up +1

2018-10-28 13:38:32

@jade
I don't see an over-all consensus to damn Lorry for what she supposedly did. What I do see, however, is a consensus to restore Walters membership and dignity to the extent it's possible.
Thanks for changing your wording on the "believing the victim part", that makes it sound better. I'm afraid too many people do sadly believe the victim, see lynch mobs.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube
Leave a thumbs up if you like what I write.

Thumbs up