2008-09-26 14:03:06

Hi all,

You've probably noticed that audiogames.net forum is slowly being taken over by spambots!
I don't no what we can do about...I can't do anything, but this has to stop!

Before it totally like kills this forum and people won't come on here anymore!

I had to say something,
well...what do you all think about this hole thing?

Talk to you,
Dan

i used to take things in life for granted...
now i have a beautiful daughter, and she means the world to me.
(at 19, i can say this is harder than it sounds)

2008-09-26 16:04:16

The only thing I can say, is I agree!

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2008-09-26 17:00:22

Same here. Forgive me when I tell the spambots to go to heck.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-09-26 22:21:26

Over reaction anyone?

Me and Dark are doing what we can. It does seem that there is an above average number at the moment, but when we find them we remove them. I removed several yesterday, and I'm sure Dark has done the same.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-09-26 23:02:09

It isn't that bad. Just ignore it until the excellent mods can clean it up.

2008-09-27 01:41:14

Why thankyou. Seriously, I appreciate the vote of confidence even though I've been less reliable on here lately than normal due to real life.

It might take us a while to get to it because we just can't realistically be attached 24 hours a day, so it might be several hours until one of us gets on. Remember we're just members who are trying to help out here, we're not anything more in tune with ag.net than that. We just check for spam in the normal process of checking the forum.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-09-27 03:40:24

Just ignore the spam. The moderators will delete it when they get around to it. I think, well, there's more than usual, but other sites I'm sure deal with lots more spam than audiogames.net. Considering that we have open registration, and no captcha, I'd think we're doing well.

Regards,
Mike
Co-Founder, RS Games
www.rsgames.org

2008-09-27 10:01:28

I'd like to thank the moderators, because you guys are doing such a good job. Don't worry guys, the spam will be delt with when time permits, and remember that spambot who had like 99 posts or more and it went up and up? elliott will know which one i mean here, but that one was delt with with both the moderators and senderman's help. i apreciate the effert that you guys put in, and the members -- well without you, and me, and everyone else, this forum wouldn't really exist, and thanks to everyone here, there are lots of interesting topics, and the ones that arn't, we can report to the moderators if necessary.

2008-09-27 16:40:07

Well as Cx2 said, thanks for the confidence. on the one hand, i do agree there has been an increase in spam bot posting recently, however by the same tocan i haven't been able to get on as frequently as i would've liked for the passed few days due to life reasons either.

as Mike said, if you see spam, ignore, report, and one of us will delete it as soon as we can.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-09-27 18:09:38

Agreed. you guys are doing an excellent job. actually, it isn't all that bad, since if you see spam, it'll be gone within a few days at the very most. keep up the good work cx and dark! Oh, and aaron, which spammer with over 99 posts? i don't remember any.

2008-09-27 23:36:02

There was one which completely flooded out a few of the rooms, all from one username. Turned out that was the crucial mistake.

At the time me and Dark didn't have priveliges to deal with banning users etc, but luckily after a short time Senderman both banned the user and removed all posts made by said user in one fell swoop.

cx2
-----

2008-09-29 15:42:14

cx2 wrote:

There was one which completely flooded out a few of the rooms, all from one username. Turned out that was the crucial mistake. At the time me and Dark didn't have priveliges to deal with banning users etc, but luckily after a short time Senderman both banned the user and removed all posts made by said user in one fell swoop.

Dark and CX2 have those permissions now and I also adjusted the spam fighter. Before, people with banned email adresses could still join, (which is a bit stupid of course). smile

2008-09-29 15:57:09

By the way: one of the most difficult things is that we cannot just put captcha's on this site. Captcha's are small puzzles that need to be solved. These are visual and by nature inaccessible for most gamers on this forum. We could use an audio-captcha, but we try to keep barriers low.
That it why we have to do our best to keep the spammers out.

2008-09-29 20:23:54

Keep up the good work. I have notice that spam does seem to be low seeing that this form is for the most part open. so thanks again.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-10-01 16:23:44

If you've ever tried using an audio captia you'll know how utterly, utterly awful they are. I just can't make head nor tail of them on any occasion I've tried them. They add all sorts of weird echoes and stuff in there, probably to throw off voice recognition... but there comes a time when humans have trouble recognising it too and they seem to forget that.

cx2
-----

2008-10-03 08:32:45

I haven't ever dealt with an audio kaptcha except one, which was from soundsnap which occasionally does that to identify yourself as a human. i could understand that one fine, but you have to listen carefully. but again, kaptcha's are bad for the world, especially those that lack an audio version!

2008-10-13 20:38:13

yeah i agree!!! captchas are verry bad but some days ago i found an addon for mozilla 3.0 that solve this problem.

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2008-10-13 21:51:46

Double post deleted.

If you're talking about Webvisum, you'll find there are a reasonable number of captias which it just plain doesn't work with. I've only tried it with two or three, and as yet it has failed to work with a single one.

cx2
-----

2008-10-14 14:39:19

i registered some days for games that need captchas. and it works great. i do not have failures.

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2008-10-14 21:01:44

Depends what you're registering for. If it says to enter the "words" then it fails flat out I find.

Nothing is completely reliable.

cx2
-----