2018-08-09 16:05:36

Hi,
I have a question. When you jump, does your speed change or are you effectively just walking on air? I'm wondering if I am traversing the map quicker by jumping or if it might be fruitless, hehe. Also, I am wondering where can we get the patch?

2018-08-09 16:39:44

I have trouble hearing the rock fall too, but just when it starts off, sounds like it fades in, and by the time I hear it, my reaction time is drastically reduced. I'd say some of my deaths are attributed to this, but not a majority.

I agree with limiting your online score board entry to your top score. One person shouldn't be able to fill up the board, though if you want that arcade type feel, that's kind of how they did it, you'd see initials on the board and like 5 or so from the same guy.

One thing I wish for is a bit of a streamlined end of game experience. You end up getting asked 3 yes or no questions right in a row. This is a fast-paced game, and I want to play it that way, so when I die, I immediately want to jump back in again. I also see the need to respect the user's wishes and not just willy-nilly copy stuff if they didn't want it, so maybe do this, add two more entries to the main menu, copy last score to clipboard, and post latest score to online score boards. Then you'd only need to ask if they want to play again.

Also, there's a typo in the welcome message when the game starts up, I don't have clip copy installed but its like pwresss or prwess or something like that.

Still enjoying the hell out of this game and can't wait to see what you have in store for us and it.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-08-09 16:47:11 (edited by musicalman 2018-08-09 16:49:31)

I think there's a bit of miscommunication. It sounds like btman16 is talking about the difference between falling rocks, and cannonballs falling in a pit.

For falling rocks, the sound does start off quiet and fade in, I assume this is because the rocks start off at the ceiling and thus are farther away from you initially. When cannonballs fall into a pit however, it uses a different falling sound, like the beep you described. The sound file is different, and it is a little louder, but I think what's really happening here is that the cannonball falling beep starts at the ground so it's easier to hear initially, and because that sound is so pure and loud, it sticks out more.

I kinda like the rock sound the way it is, but I use somewhat expensive headphones and I'm used to listening for details, so I didn't have much trouble hearing rocks. What I do have trouble with sometimes is running right under one, thinking I can pass under it, or I totally miss hearing one while jumping over cannonballs so I get hit right after I jump. The latter I atribute more to lack of attention, since I am really only able to focus on one thing at a time, and have been known to completely miss things that I wasn't listening for.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2018-08-09 16:49:24

OK, ended up crashing the game, it was when I was invincible and tried to deflect a cannon ball into a cannon and this happened.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "the.py", line 7, in <module>
  File "functions.py", line 94, in mainmenu
  File "functions.py", line 331, in init
  File "functions.py", line 331, in init
  File "functions.py", line 272, in init
  File "classes.py", line 326, in move
  File "classes.py", line 380, in check
ValueError: list.remove(x): x not in list

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-08-09 17:47:12

Okay, so apparently I was kind of stupid yesterday, and didn't upload the right thing for the patch. It's there now, and it:
quiets the footsteps, makes the rock fall sound like 3 times louder so it's not fading in as much and it's easier to locate, quiets a couple sounds such as rock crashes and item get, etc. Depending on your guys's feedback on this new patch, I may not even need individual sound volume control. I have let certain people test it and they said they were able to perform loads better. Link is http://samtupy.com/stevend/oh_shit.zip as usual, and remember that when updating you may want to copy your scores.dat over to the new version.

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2018-08-09 18:07:13

Hi,

I'll have to check this out later today. And yes, I think I wasn't describing the two fall sounds properly. But hopefully the new patch will make things easier--I'll let you know once I try it.

Thanks again,

Brandon

2018-08-09 18:41:31

Sadly when I try to launch the game it opens the window but freezes immediately after.  I have to use task manager to close it.  One of the times I waited for maybe 5 minutes, just to see if it would eventually do something, and it played a series of random games noises before going back to being frozen.

In case it matters, I don't get any spoken messages or anything, just a black window that's frozen.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2018-08-09 18:50:22

Are you playing with jaws? If so, that could be why.

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.

2018-08-09 18:52:30

I don't have any screen readers installed currently.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2018-08-09 19:01:57

Oh, that's why. I guess I forgot to include sapi support in here, something I totally overlooked since this was originally just a bullshit project made from boredom and I knew that all my immediate friends, (the only people I thought would play it until it became kind of a hit), had screen readers. Try playing with NVDA in the meantime - I have a new code version in progress in which I have fixed and added a couple things but is not quite ready for release, and hopefully I am able to fix this particular problem.

2018-08-09 19:40:56

@aprone the black window is just the default for PyGame, since there is no graphics, that's what you see. You just don't have the speech since no screen reader is active, If you were to mash enter enter enter or so, you'd get into it.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-08-09 21:25:54

Game over. You lasted 4 minutes and 8 seconds and your score was 196.

2018-08-09 22:52:10

Hi,

game is way too easy. Please add a shooting element and maybe I might play this game again, other then that please, this game is way to easy.

2018-08-09 23:16:29 (edited by Ethin 2018-08-09 23:16:50)

@erick, please stop acting so damn entitled. The world does not revolve around you.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-08-09 23:19:37

@88 can you get outta here with this notion that the world owes you everything, its immature and ridiculous. This isn't your first post where you've acted completely entitled.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-08-09 23:22:38 (edited by The Dwarfer 2018-08-09 23:23:53)

Funny thing is he's not been on the scoreboard, probably not lasted even close to 3 minutes, and probably damn sure not had a score greater than 150. So there's that.
big_smile
Now if someone like Smoke came up here and told me this game were too easy...
Then again I beat him. big_smile It's not too easy, although in the next version I've made rock storms quite a bit less common. I mean significantly. Now you get them every 4th item or so. big_smile

2018-08-09 23:46:26

@The Dwarfer, sent you a PM.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-08-10 00:26:06

Right, fuckin Smoke lol idk htf he doing that shit lul.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-08-10 00:43:44

I beat that dude. I smoked him. Why I forgot to name myself "StevoSmokedTheSmoke" is beyond me. Maybe next time.

2018-08-10 01:20:30

At 88, why isn't your name dominating the scoreboard, then? I see only two who are, so knock it off. False bravado never gets anyone anywhere.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2018-08-10 03:43:57

Also 88 kinda just sounds like he wants me to turn this into the next great fps or ultrapower. And no thanks. big_smile big_smile

2018-08-10 06:16:19

I wish the game instructions would be put in the read me instead of the menu, but it's not that big of a deal.
I think Ironcross's idea about a game over menu rather than a series of prompts is good too.
Some background menu and game music that can be turned down would be pretty cool IMO.
Panning on the cannon balls can be pretty jumpy sometimes...
Also yeah, Eric, put your money where your mouth is if you think the game is easy, and post your best score on the scoreboard.
And stop with the blind school attitude, the real world isn't like that.

2018-08-10 07:46:43

Hey guys,
So this isn't the last update either. If your suggestion didn't make it in here, it's because people got a fatal error that just popped up so I kinda had to push this out. Still, hope you guys can enjoy what's in here. @post 97 and others I'm not ignoring you, don't worry.
Changes:
-Thanks to Carter Temm, We now have an auto updater!
-Readme.txt is in the zip archive but I was a dumb ass and didn't put it in even though I wrote it 3 days ago. Haha!
-scores of 0 no longer make it to your local scoreboard no matter how empty it is.
-Changes have been made to the scoreboard. One person can only have a max of 5 entries on the scoreboard at once. Also, the top 20 is now shown instead of the top 10. As a result of these changes, I unfortunately have to clear the bored.
-There was a bug preventing powerups of any type spawning while you were reaping the bennefits of winning a rockstorm. This has changed.
-Rock storms will be a lot less common now. In fact they should be very rare.
-adjusted volumes of a lot of the sounds.
-up arrow can also be used to jump now
-Good luck continuing to live as the game goes on. At 4 and a half minutes and 6 minutes, the game gets quite a bit more fast paced.
so the link which hopefully you'll never have to use again...
http://samtupy.com/stevend/oh_shit.zip

2018-08-10 15:52:17

@98, is this a complete update or just a patch? If it's just a patch, then what other things do I need to download to get the latest version? I'm still on the oldest one lol. I know a lot has changed, just haven't had time to sort through things and figure out what all needs to be downloaded.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2018-08-10 16:03:29

its all of the game in a zip file.

End racism
End division
Become united