2018-09-19 05:42:02

I use the internal keyboard and sox for note taking. I was a bit pissed because it only came with 128 gig internal storage, and when I looked for a larger m.2 ssd, the only reasonably priced model was 2280, not 2242, which would've meant one of two things, either it'd been sticking out of the case, which probably would've caused damage to both the drive and unit itself, or it would flat out refuse to read the drive. For expandable storage, I just add a 128 GB sd card and do most of my dumping onto that.

2018-09-19 05:48:36

The weird m.2 drive specs are really one of the few problems I have with it.. Transcend started making 512 gb drives again but it's over $300 for it... Like nah. I mean, someone's did case mods to fit a 2280 drive, I wouldn't do it, but it does make me wonder why GPD couldn't just use a 2280 drive? It would give more room for cooling. Maybe better button layout too.

NevEd.NDO#4838
My community discord:
https://discord.gg/2duutDtGFa

2018-09-22 03:08:58

Well guys. Finally had a chance to travel with the GPD win 2. It is just like I thought and even better. I just threw the case in my pocket and was good to go. I get a good 8 or 9 hours off the battery on this computer. I was using it full time over at a friend's place and forgot I was on a hand held computer. It really is not slow at all. I mean I had my reservations about the speed of it before I bought it but it is really true. Just connect a bluetooth keyboard and it is awesome as well. I can't recommend this computer enough for travel and even daily use. In a pinch, it can do as a daily computer if you have nothing else. I think this computer has found an interesting niche market. It is marketed to gamers but people like us can really benifit from something like this. To give you guys an idea, I was carting around a 5 or 6 LB Dell Inspiron 5577.  That is a great machine. But it no longer fits my needs. Last year, I was living in a place where a desktop was not feasible  but now I have room for this desktop. But this win 2 is my new go to travel computer. So excited to fly with it now as well.

2018-09-22 03:11:48

Even better, get a usb c hub, or mod one to except a small fan, plop it in there, get a monitor, KB and mouse, and boom, you got yourself a convertable desktop.

NevEd.NDO#4838
My community discord:

2018-09-26 12:34:25

I had to get a replacement win 2. The ssd just stopped working on my old one. I was so angry. But luckily i was able to get a refund and get it replaced.  I hope they got their stuff together now. LOL But it's nice having my pocket laptop back. smile

2018-10-01 18:44:31

Well guys. Took the gpd win 2 on a weekend trip and I honestly felt like I was on my desktop sometimes. It is that fast. I forget that is just a core y3 processor. I think a lot of people who are mainly screen reader users can really benefit from this computer. Also libre office is no problem for it either so you can get work done. Heck audio editing is no issue either.  Only time you may notice the weakness of the processor is when you save an audio project as MP3 or converting files to different formats.

2018-10-02 10:48:17

Hello.
Wow, this topic prooved to be quite an intresting read. a friend of mine has been playing around with one of these for a while now and he's been loving it, i also got to hear nashinator aka hacker unboxing his which btw you can find on the jennios stream archives section for those who may be curious. at the moment i'm kind of tite on cash, but i'm hoping to look into buying one of these bastards as soon as i have enough. for those of you who've played around with linux, what distroes did you try and how responsive were they? I'm mainly thinking about possibly buying it with ubuntu and duo booting debbian and possibly jennux, though i'll probs not do that until i hear from more people about it's usability / stability. I've also been told jennux takes up a crap load of space, so i'd kind of like to avoid using up my hole 128 gigs on one distroe. Anyways enough of my rambling, have a nice day all.

2018-10-04 21:33:02

Hello. I personally have not ran linux on this one. I don't play with linux.  Sorry I could not answer the question.  Have been traveling this week and this computer has been awesome. I forget I have it on me in my backpack. I have had 0 slow downs with it. That is one thing that is so impressive to me. I suffered through the days of the slow netbooks and this is just quite amazing where they have come in 10 years.

2018-10-04 21:37:25

Has anyone else had the idea like me to use a usb c dock to kind of turn the win2 into a sort of windows switch? As a deskttop alternative? I know this will be far from a replacement, but as soon as I get a bigger hard drive, a hub and a nice keyboard, I can delete windows off my mac. I'll still be getting a real desktop at some point though. Theirs a guy on reddit who's trying to make a case/dock with a built-in fan, I hope it goes well because I'll happily pay him to build it for me.

NevEd.NDO#4838
My community discord:

2018-10-05 20:25:31

At the last post, I had kind of thought of that. And, to my surprise, I got it from the gpd associated distributer instead of one of the big shopping sites over here, and it came with one!! It's a standard usb hub with 3 usb ports, and a standard, as well as mini sd card slot. Mine also came with a micro to normal hdmi cable, a wireless mouse, a usb that looks like some kind of recovery drive, and a sort of sleeve cover for it. They also sold a version with a 256 gb drive, but that was $30 or 40 more than this one. I think I only paid about $620 for this, but it didn't exactly have to get shipped far. It's way smaller than I thought, and eventually someone showed me the f key strangeness, and I now have no problem with it. I'm glad it only seemed to come with a few gaming addons and not piles of random trial apps or inaccessible manufacturer bloatware like my hp computers did.

2018-10-31 20:29:02

Hello guys. This computer has just really impressed me. I have been away from my house since October 10 and have only used the GPD win 2 as my only computer. It has worked way better than what I could have ever expected. It has never slowed down or anything. I mainly use my computers for listening to music, web browsing, audio production, audio/  mainstream games and youtube stuff. I'm sure I have not taxed this computer much but for my needs it works better than I thought.  I have not tried any mainstream games yet but plan to put skull girls on here once I get back on real wifi and not my cell phone hot spot.  Hoping I have my emulators on the external WD drive. I can't say enough about this computer so I'll let you guys read it. LOL smile But seriously thank you guys for  posting about this computer. If it was not for this site I'm not sure if I would have known a computer like this existed until it was too late. LOL  I really hate the blindness card but this computer has potential to attract another market.  Also there is the  GPD pocket 2 as I'm sure you all are aware of but I do a fair amount of gaming and this one gives a smaller screen and less pixels to drive which means better battery life. The only thing I wished this thing had that the gpd pocket 2 offers is 2 USB A ports.  I hear the keyboard is better in terms of how it is spaced out on the gpd pocket 2 but can't confirm. I still love my win 2 for sure. I actually have grown to like the keyboard on the win 2. I loved small keyboards since the Nokia 9300 I had years ago.

2018-11-13 03:28:46

Hello everyone. I just did a fresh install of win 10 on this computer. I can't get the touch screen to work. All the research I have done on the internet points me to an inaccessible program to reinstall drivers or out of date drivers. I don't know  how to tell windows 10 to install the drivers.  Thanks for any help you can give me.

2018-11-13 05:56:00

Check https://www.gpd.hk/gpdwin2firmware. You may want to bookmark that page for future reference.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2018-11-13 07:26:31

I did some screwing around and got it to work. But don't ask me how I did it. LOL Now to track down the realtech driver...  I installed the regular realtech driver and the speakers are not as loud as they used to be. This thing is picky about drivers. LOL But I still love it and would not go back to a regular laptop anytime soon.

2018-11-13 22:24:10

Okay, so, I might be getting one of these for christmas. Anything I should know?

Power is not the responsibility of freedom, but it is actually the responsibility of being responsible, it's self, because someone who is irresponsible is enslaved by their own weaknesses.

2018-11-13 23:24:57

Hello. It's just a pocket laptop that runs win 10 with a built in controller and it is $819 or so. The keyboard takes a bit to get used to. It's no i7 but it's not slow either.  Comes with 120 GB SSD, 8 gb of ram and a Core m3-7Y30 processor at 1 ghz by default and can boost all the way to 2.6 GHZ. It has no camera but has a mic. Would not recommend the built in mic unless it's all you have. You can use your headset mic no problem on it as well. In terms of size, a bit bigger than a plus sized iPhone. BTW you can buy a case for it for $15 on amazon. Hope this is the info you need. smile I for one love mine as you will see in this topic.

2018-11-14 02:04:52

I already knew that but I heard that you have to use fn pluss the number row to do function keys, does  it have incert, home, end, page up, page down. Also ehat sorts of IO does it have, I'm probably going for the first gen cause it's a little cheaper.

Power is not the responsibility of freedom, but it is actually the responsibility of being responsible, it's self, because someone who is irresponsible is enslaved by their own weaknesses.

2018-11-14 05:50:29 (edited by Chris 2018-11-14 05:53:09)

You can hold down function and tap left arrow for home, right for end, up for page up, and down for page down. It also has a delete key, and holding function while pressing either scroll lock or pause emulates insert. I don't use insert at all, so I don't know for sure which key is which.

The original model has a full USB 3.0 port, a USB C 3.0 port, headphone jack, mini HDMI port, and a Micro SD slot. I think the newer model has all of the above except the Mini HDMI is replaced with micro HDMI.

I have the original model with the Atom X7-Z8750 CPU, 4 GB RAM, and 64 GB storage. If you don't need the extra storage, RAM, or processor, go for the Win. It's much cheaper and will work beautifully for the most part.

Having said that, I'm experiencing a few weird issues with mine. The computer shuts down after about two minutes if you put Windows in sleep mode. I have to boot it from scratch then ext time I use it so I've resorted to having Windows hibernate when I close the lid. My internal microphone no longer works and I can't record audio from any application with any audio device. I suspect this one is something in my Windows installation. Finally, the computer restarts when I tell Windows to shut down instead of powering off. I have no idea what this is and it's incredibly irritating!

2018-11-14 14:27:33

so, just as if I was running windows in a VM... Cool. Does it have stereo speakers built in or mono?

2018-11-14 17:22:15

The original device has a mono speaker on the right edge of the case. I think the newer one with the M3 has stereo speakers, although I have no idea how well they actually work.

2018-11-24 17:57:54

Alright. Again, what about the function keys. I also heard you can't use it while it charges without first unplugging it from the charger then turning it on then re plugging it in.

2018-11-24 18:01:34

@techmaster20 For the function keys, f1 to f6 are normal, for the rest, just hold down the fn key (two keys to the left of the space bar) and then f1 through f6 become f7 to f12. The power thing your speaking of is what happened to the original launch model of the GPD win 1. I don't have any problems using mine on power. A sidenote though, performance might go down a little bit, but not too severely, when you are plugged in

NevEd.NDO#4838
My community discord:

2018-11-25 13:06:25

When you got yours did you have to activate a windows product key?:

2018-11-26 06:12:21

I'm not sure about the second generation Win, but mine came fully activated. I did have to use Magical Jellybean Keyfinder to get my Windows product key, but that was only because I wanted to make sure I could activate Windows after I did a clean install. I had to activate Windows with that key after the clean install, but once I did I was good to go. Windows linked my hardware to a digital license so now I don't need the key as long as I do a clean install of Windows 10 Home.

2018-11-26 06:14:00

Cool. Thanks for all the help, guys. I'm really looking forward to getting mine. I assume the first time I boot it it will do the normal windows 10 setup screen?