2018-08-03 13:51:04

For me, OKCupid is a social experiment of sorts. If I get lucky and find someone to talk to and build from there, great. If I don't, that's also fine. I'm out in the world again, so I'm apt to stumble across somebody if luck is with me.
I couldn't agree more regarding the best way to build a good relationship. I disagree with you about the gender dynamics of online dating, at least up to a certain point, however. For instance, men have this really nasty habit of being rude to the women they're trying to approach; if I've seen one profile saying "no dick pics please" I've seen dozens. I think this is a perfectly reasonable request. I typically only respond to profiles which indicate that the woman in question is out there looking for the same thing I am...and if she makes contact and becomes willing to talk, we both have the ability to say yes, or no, as the situation dictates. You're correct in the sense that most women want the men to approach first, but I'm personally okay with doing this if I'm interested.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2018-08-03 14:13:05

@Jayde, I admit part of my hatred for the usual gender dynamic in the dating system is likely personal, since if your a man who  is genophobic and physically cannot! do the usual asking out thing then your in severe trouble, and its hard not to resent the fact that women who have a similar problem are actually favoured by the system putting them in a position of power, indeed the above Washington post article about the blind woman dating would likely read differently since I imagine if a blind man told a sighted woman if she was interested to "make her interest known" he'd likely be labeled as a creep or a curb crawler or worse.

of course, the traditional system does have its down side for women, and it is worth noting that wile its generally easier for women to find! relationships under the traditional rules, its also far harder for women to end bad ones too, though this likely helps less in the "looking for someone" end of things unless you happen to be like me and lucky enough to meet someone who's been through enough bad relationships to know what they do and do not want and rely on being friends and communicating rather than passing along some mysterious set of inter signal byplay.

I did try Ok cupid myself, but as is usual nobody would message me, and the few people I tried to message gave me absolute silence, the one time my parents tried a subscription to Eharmony for me it was no better. Since then I've found too many horror stories of men being used as an idle online chat amusement for women who have no intention of actually meeting or looking for a committed relationship, or worse, women who just want to get free meals to put much store by the process.

Btw, to ask a practical question, is Ok cupid then cooperating with with screen readers these days? It was alright when I tried it back in 2008-9 or so, but I seem to remember the accessibility had gone down hill since then, though it might have come back or be better on Chrome than Ie.

My lady and I were rather interested in having a go at some of the character analyses and quizzes on the site (we tried the Nurd, geek or dork test but couldn't get the site to show us a result), assuming of course you can still do the quizzes without having the dating side of thinggs.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-08-04 00:16:17

I've never played with the quizzes, and uploading pics is quite tricky...but most of the site is pretty accessible. There's some wacky labelling, and the "A-list" button - the donation button, in other words - doesn't click properly. Beyond that, though, it's workable.

I have a pretty strong sense of what I want, and an excellent nose for bullshit. This doesn't mean I can't be used, but it does mean I'm very, very likely to see it coming. I have actually had a call with someone from OKC, and it was nice enough; no really hard click, but it might work out that we try, I'm not sure. I'm not really into being used for my money or for free meals anyway; I am a feminist in the modern definition, and I don't believe I'm there to satisfy patriarchical expectations, even if they happen to favour a female. If I pay for a woman's meal, it's because I want to; if I pull out her chair or whatever, it's because I know she finds it charming rather than because I think I am expected to do it because of my gender. Stuff like that. I'm really big on very clear communicaton.
And hey, like I say, if it doesn't work out, oh well. I'm looking, but I am not desperate. I would rather have no relationship at all than settle for a bad or incomplete one. I'd rather wait, and go on waiting, than rush into the first thing I find. And I'd rather just put some feelers out, so to speak, than sit idly, because you never know what'll happenn. I haven't dated a sighted partner in about ten years now - my last two partners, both engagements actually, were visually impaired - so there's a touch of anxiety there too.

2018-08-04 03:54:17

One of the problems i run into is not being able to drive and not in a place with decent bus service women are usually turned off by the fact i can't drive. Their Loss I say.

2018-08-04 07:00:19 (edited by SirBadger 2018-08-04 07:20:19)

oh ironcross I love you. only just looked at this topic. brilliant rick roll there. I didn't know people were still doing that.

and is this the same person that keeps asking if they should move to America or England etc? I'd have to double check.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2018-08-04 10:39:49

@Jayde agreed on feminism, though its remarkable how many women will still adhere to these sorts of favoured expectations when its in their favour to do so, EG its far easier to wait to be asked than to ask.
I suspect the men who post crude stuff are more your standard internet creeps than anyone actually looking for a relationship seriously, and hay just because I tend to think the dating process favours women doesn't mean that I believe all men to be saints or something big_smile.

I'd be interested to know if anything actually does turn up given my own %100 lack of success with both Ok cupid and Eharmony, and the fact that I've heard so many bad stories of men being taken for a ride one way or another.

Btw, amusingly enough, my lady and I didn't actually go out for a meal until we were very much together (she was staying with me at the time), we'd taken meals together at music school, but the first time we actually went to a restaurant was actually after we were very much a couple.
She actually offered to pay for that meal on the basis that "she!" was staying with "me!" and didn't want to feel entirely dependent.
I agreed. The second time around I paid in interests of fairness, actually we did make several jokes about cultural expectations at that point, though when your actually with someone the dynamic changes and you end up doing things primarily for the other person's good rather than yours.

@Michael, The car thing is again just another part of how blind people fall outside the standard cultural idea of what a masculine" man is supposed to be. Again, people are stupid! the problem unfortunately is that people are also so stupid that the stupidist people get rewarded for their stupidity big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-08-04 15:34:23

thumbs up on the stupid stupid loop smile

----------
An anomaly in the matrix. An error in existence. A being who cannot get inside the goddamn box! A.K.A. Me.

2018-08-04 23:33:37

Hi.
@SirBadger, yes this is exactly the same guy. First it was, what is the best programming language to use?, then how do you do this or that in different programming languages?, then he's a master programmer and wants to live in London and make a lot of money. Which I'm guessing wouldn't work out, unless he got a computer science degree in the several months he was on here. Now with all the flip-flopping, I guess it's moving to America and dating American girls lol!

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2018-08-05 02:10:09

Admittedly I'm not a huge fan of the "I won't ask you first" mentality, but a few women I've spoken to say that they sometimes get literally dozens of messages every day, and it's a lot to field and sort through. This is not as true for the men I've found, so while I'm sure that part of this actually is because of said dynamic, I bet some of it reinforces the bloody thing as well.

I'm of the mindset, regarding feminismm, that if used judiciously, it's okay to give people small shortcuts now and again. Women have historically been kept back for so, so long; sometimes it's okay to give them a bit of a push where a man wouldn't have it. This has to be managed very carefully, however, and doesn't mean that men should be treated like dirt or shackled to outdated ideology for the sake of female gratification.

One woman who had the decency to write me back said that the driving thing would be an issue; we are about an hour and a quarter apart, and she said that it would eventually bother her having to drive alone a lot of the time. While I did argue that public transit might help this along a bit, I get her point, too; this is something we are not and cannot be equal on, so if it's a dealbreaker for someone, that doesn't make them shallow. Driving can be stressful, it takes time, and it costs money; if it falls more on one person, I can sort of understand some worry there.

2018-08-05 14:57:47

@33: you don't need a CS degree to program...

2018-08-06 08:51:14

Hi
No, I meant you have to have a degree for those big companies to take you seriously. I would love to work at Microsoft or google, but since I don't have certification, it's pretty much a no go.
The point is, he flip-flops so much, he will probably not stop long enough to put his focus on just one language or career. That's why I was poking fun at him, making all these silly topics.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2018-08-07 03:00:13 (edited by x0 2018-08-07 03:00:57)

my god people are still posting in this thing? I think now's enough time to let it die. Also cool, I've never met a guy named Jayde. I like the name. It just sounds legit. Not just for a girl too, whoever it's with just sounds like a confident bloke that you don't wanna mess with less some shit be happenin' to ya. Ya know? It just has a certain finality and edge to it.

----------
An anomaly in the matrix. An error in existence. A being who cannot get inside the goddamn box! A.K.A. Me.