2018-10-22 01:29:32

@The Dwarfer
Yes, I've come across a few, though the one to watch out for would be Orbit Researches [Graphiti].

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2018-10-28 01:04:28

the orbit 20 does not support .docx, and the braille me also does not support .docx. in order to read .docx, htm, epub, and other kinds of word processor and html files, you must first translate them with a free program such as send to braille, or braille blaster, both of which are free.

2018-10-28 14:51:52

too bad that those programs are heavily English language oriented

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2018-10-28 16:54:32

well they are open source, send to braille is at least, so why not translate them for your language?

2018-10-30 22:39:23

I have tried and written APH about it, no go. in fact, liblouis tried all the best they could, but it was just not enoughand
also this lonely post which reflects the rather sad reality of the situation

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2018-10-31 12:48:26

UltraLeetJ wrote:

I have tried and written APH about it, no go. in fact, liblouis tried all the best they could, but it was just not enoughand
also this lonely post which reflects the rather sad reality of the situation

So you're saying that the Braille displays only supports the english Braille tables?
You don't need to contact APH about it. They are only a reseller in USA. You need to contact Orbit Research who makes the Orbit Reader 20 Braille display.
I'm not sure on what exactly the issue is. I think you need to explain that more clearly as well.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2018-12-13 01:55:35

Interesting, was searching for an evaluation of both of these, and this thread was one of the first Google hits.

I'm thinking I'll go with the Orbit. Looks like the dot quality might be better, and while I'd miss the routing buttons a bit, I think I'd rather have the extra dots for capitalization and cursor indication.

Out of curiosity, do either of these support some sort of continuous scroll functionality, where the Braille scrolls automatically at a set rate as you read? I'm mainly interested in getting a display to read books with, and I imagine that automatic scrolling would make reading much nicer.

Or is it really not a big deal to advance the cursor every 18 or 20 characters? Seems like I'd be advancing the cursor lots during a long reading session, and I'd want to automate that if possible.

Most of my reading will likely be done in either device's standalone mode. If I'm on a bus or something, the last thing I'd want to do is have two devices open just to read a book.

Thanks!

2018-12-13 02:24:15

As far as I know, the Braille Me is the only device that has an automatic scroll mode for the standalone mode. Is the Orbit Reader even available? They said it was finally available around February, then it wasn't, then it was, then it wasn't, so what's going on?

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2018-12-13 04:43:58

Production issues. It takes time to source the parts, assemble them, pack them, etc. so their supplies are often limited. They get a new batch, fill new orders, run out of stock, then source new units, rinse and repeat.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer