2018-11-02 02:43:33

Even if a group of devs know the same language, they will have drastically different styles of programming.  While I know C++, if I and another C++ programmer begin working on a project together, we will work less efficiently than either of us would independently, because we will keep having to mesh our 2 styles.  The more people you add to that team, the harder it becomes.

When I was in college working on group projects, even if we had 10 people in a group it would ultimately boil down to just a few people doing the actual programming.  It was more work than it was worth trying to juggle more than a few people.  The rest of the team would end up doing paperwork or helping plan out the general strategy for the project.  Sure that does help out a ton, but the group of 10 doesn't produce something 10 times better than if they worked solo.  You get diminishing returns and perhaps that group of 10 might only produce something twice as good.  (That's being optimistic)

It might seem like it's totally worth having 10 people even if it only means a product twice as good, but the larger team also means everyone involved had more headaches and frustration trying to work together.  It's not a good experience, and it's one of the reasons many developers prefer to work alone (or in very small teams) as opposed to larger groups.  Once you've done that a few times you see that it just isn't worth it.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2018-11-02 02:55:18 (edited by musicalman 2018-11-02 02:59:46)

I think some of it is a motivational thing too. If you're developing for mainstream you can get real jobs in game creation. If you are attempting to please an audience of millions of people and are constantly engaged in gaming social outlets and circles, you might team up and make an awesome indie product and find a group of fans who are just as passionate about your idea as you are. But audiogames.net is really the only big outlet to date, which tries to accomodate everybody, and by everybody I mean a few thousand people, not millions. Humans don't do well at pleasing everyone, thus even if devs teamed up, it's likely that only a small percentage of our small community would enjoy the end product, which lowers motivation and eventually makes us ask "is it worth it?"

Philip Bennefall tried to make a profitable business with audio game development, and we all know he had a lot of talent. He even created BGT to make audio game creation approachable to budding developers. Regardless of your opinions of BGT, trying to make a tool like that and that tool actually working well for a lot of people doesn't seem like an easy thing to do. Yet, he found that audio game development on a professional level isn't profitable. At least not directly. Now so far as I know he is working more toward tools for mainstream which of course could be used by audio game devs too (Elias). Of course, that was only his experience so I'm not saying he speaks for all. If someone else did it a different way they might have more or less success.  but I do think Philip's example does speak a bit of our status as a community.

while AHC and Swamp and the BK series are successful, they only have cult followings, and what's more they aren't preferred by everyone. I for instance am not a huge fan of large scale epic adventure games like that, though I do like bK2 and BK3. Still I don't play them too often because they are overwhelming for me to keep pace with. A game like audiodefense, though, was my thing. While that was made by a team, the team had to close down which made me sad. And it seems that in the history of audio games individuals are just more able to create a sustainable product, and even so, individuals abandon games a lot. I just get the impression that audio game development hasn't matured too much beyond fun hobbiest activity. It isn't something that has been successful on a professional large scale yet.

Another thing that gets in the way is, what do we exactly want? And how can we make more games that cater to more people? How, specifically, can we make them higher quality? Better sounds? Better story? More complex environments? True, you don't necessarily need money to provide all of these things but it does help.

Aside from that, there are also challenges that are unique to audio games, such as conveying 3D environments, or even some 2D ones. Or deciding on what aids to give the player so that he or she can understand what's going on in general, regardless of genre. Representation by sound alone is a unique challenge. Add to that, there is a large variation in ability in this community to absorb some concepts, particularly spacial ones, that are normal in the mainstream or sighted world. The whole thing is a real conundrum. And of course we could factor mainstream games into it and debate over which mainstream games are accessible enough and why. Everyone's position on these details differ, so that makes it hard to design and develop a truly complex and innovative audio game. The only games that don't really need to consider these rules are those which are highly text-driven, but I don't think that's what we're discussing here.

That's the best answer I can come up with; I don't think it is possible to come up with one hard-fast answer, other than to try and consider all the circumstances. That is what I have tried to do in the above post.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2018-11-02 03:47:15

I can't say a lot here, because I haven't caught up to the conversation. But I thought I would chime in as someone who basically spends every day of my life going between western and Japanese cultures.. warning. Generalization and personal opinion ahead... but I'm trying to be as objective as I can.

Japan is indeed a more conformist society than we are. Everything that is done that sets the bar higher is for the sake of competition, but that's generally in media and tech, or traditional arts. That's because modern mainstream society is indeed very conformist, and being different is not a good thing, as CAE said. But in media and tech it's good because difference generates revenue, and in arts difference is good because it's an expression of traditions or other things that don't impact how society functions as a whole. If, however, someone was to not go to college instead of trying to work right out of high school, where they would have some chance at scceeding here, over there that would meet with frowns and disapproval because that person is not seen as a contributing member of society, because it's impossible to work without a decent education. Or so says the assumption, anyway.

Some people here have hit it on the head when they say Western culture is much more centered on immediate gratification or returns. In Japan, traditionally, the best things are the ones made over time. A Japanese sword, if manufactured to form and in a traditional way takes upwards of a month to make, even now. In China or the west, swords are mass produced and so can be bought for cheaper so a collector can have six different ones hanging on their wall. Any Japanese sword collector knows that having one genuine Katana for a hefty price can be a far more important posession than six cheaply made decorative pieces. Similarly, Japanese martial arts take years upon years of study to be good at. If you said you'd been doing a martial art for 3 years in the west, people would go wide-eyed and see you as an experienced practicioner. But from a Japanese viewpoint, three years is the equivalent to being a baby with much more ways to go. You can see this in clubs for japanese martial arts like karate that have been westernized where you can get a blackbelt in a year, where as the traditional club nextdoor will require you to study five before getting the same belt.

Getting back to gaming, this is what separates Japanese from western audio games. Yukio and MM, the main people behind the BK series and shadow line respectively, spent years developing their games because they didn't just want to please the people they were releasing the game to, and they didn't develop games they thought people wanted. They developed the games that they wanted to play themselves, and wanted to share that passion and that vision with the community. Hence why they were willing to take a much longer period to develop their titles, and the end product speaks for itself. Galaxy Laboratory is a team composing of about 3 or 4 development people, not counting voiceactors and the people who made the music for SR. But if you listen to their broadcasts or get a chance to talk to them, they have a passion for making games that evryone can enjoy, because they never had the chance to play these types ofgames themselves. And again, there is a Japanese mentality behind all of that to not half-ass the job, to take however long it takes to make a product the best you can make it, both for your own satisfaction and so others can enjoy it. Thankfully in a more modernized Japan that is starting to lean toward immediate gratification, that is one o the attitudes in the workplace and in general daily activities that hasn't lost its traditional Japanese spirit. And that's the biggest difference, if you ask me. The desire to churn out as many games as possible in as quick a time as possible for the gratification of completing one project to move onto the next one right away, vs the willingness to slave away at one project and get the gratification from seeing it polished and to be able to see the reflection of how much work went into it and so others can enjoy the fruits of your effort.

Having said all that, I don't think noone in this community at all has this attitude. But people are curious to know what the difference is between the western attitude and Japanese, and there you have it... the observations who spends half his life with Japanese people and the other half among everyone else. And this applies to the mainstream too. Look at the two big fighting games of all time, Mortal Kombat and Soul Calibur. Mortal kombat has a game every two to three years that comes out and relies on flashy gimics and tons upon tons of characters and while it's fun, people lose interest in it because it's shallow. Soul Calibur games are released every 4 to 6 years, which doubles the hype when one is anounced and when t's released, with a few exceptions in the series, they're long lasting and enjoyable because you can clearly see how much passion has gone into every detail from character design to different weapons to the music. And the various people who have worked on the game have even said that they make the game in a way that they would find fun to play, but that would also apeal to the masses.

Ramble over for now. Again, there was a lot of personal opinion and broad statements in that post, but I hope someone at least found it a bit educational...

Discord: clemchowder633

2018-11-02 07:01:34

@Aprone
You know, that... actually makes me wonder if thats why larger projects are often irritatingly broken into so many separate files. It bugs the hell out of me since it makes it difficult to tell what connects to what when the core program is in a thousand different files, but if you wanted to write a main loop and have other programmers make other functions and classes connect to it, encapsulating them in separate files for each programmer means you wouldn't have to care how their logics structured or what style they use, other than imported functions and passed datatypes.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2018-11-02 09:15:25

Magurp244, I've always understood that to be the case.  I'd say you're right on the money.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2018-11-02 09:34:39

@126 how, then, can a mainstream game studio hope to get anything done? In those cases, we're not talking about 5 or 6 devs. We're talking about close to a hundred devs all sitting in a development department responsible to code the tripple A game the designers tell them to code, with time pressure and bosses breathing down their necks to get it done. How do those people work together and bring out games like GTA, when a group of 5 people has difficulties managing the paperwork?
@127 Audio game development, at least the way we've been doing it till now will probably never be a profitable business model. Games made by the blind for the blind simply don't kater to an audience that's large enough to break even if money is spent during the dev process. I highly doubt games such as AHC broak even. One copy is $20 and they spent at least $10000 making it, if the kickstarter can be trusted. Similarly, mainstream devs can't retrofit most games to be accessible, because that lowers profits or in some cases is completely impossible (see unity). So the only solution accessible games could make money is if mainstream devs, indi or otherwise, design their games for inclusiveness from the start.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2018-11-02 13:05:08

i've said it before and i'll say it again. the problem with audio games by this community is that they are developed (mostly) for the blind community without thinking about doing stuff to bring in the sighted community. the closest game that actually does approach this is swamp i think. it allows you to play the game visually as well. the blind community in itself is not enough to maintain a profitable business. pun intended it's shortsighted to simply develop g\games that only have a black screen. you couldn't market the game beyond a given group of people. if people actually thought a bit more outside of the blindness box and actually included the sighted community in their games then they may get a bit more return for their effort.

2018-11-02 14:35:34

As for how mainstream devs do it... I don't know, but I have to imagine getting paid $10k a month helps. They have so many devs in part because the projects are so big. With GTA, you have to deal with physics, making sure the maps and models work correctly, animation, combat, AI, the difference between traveling on foot Vs in a car... cars in general are pretty complex... online, managing a big world without lag, designing items and activities, cutscenes, etc... And really, that's a super generalized overview. There's also UI, menus, and how each of these diferent parts interacts. If they're using any imperfect libraries for physics / graphics / sound / etc, there's a chance they'll run into bugs in those, and need to get to the botom of them. And I'm also guessing that the people in charge of hiring are not programmers themselves, and probably try to hire a team that's too big, thinking that spreading them out will increase efficiency. If they're developing everything from scratch, that _might_ work, except you can't really work on things simultaneously that way, because the engines for audio, video, physics, etc all have to fit together at some point.

And I've probably missed a ton of details that change things completely. hmm

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2018-11-02 16:19:56 (edited by musicalman 2018-11-02 16:22:38)

Assault, that was a great post, even if it was constructed of personal biases and opinions. Like you say I don't think western devs are conscientiously trying to put out a product that only serves the purpose of adding one more to the pile for increased productivity. But I do think the cultural difference probably does affect work ethic and style, not so much with game development but in a general attitude about life and dedication and things. If you dont live in the Japanese culture you won't produce things the same way they do, unless you find dramatic incentive and inspiration to do so.

darren wrote:

If people actually thought a bit more outside of the blindness box and actually included the sighted community in their games then they may get a bit more return for their effort.

The problem, though, is that when developers market their games to a sighted audience, they don't get much more than a few scattered reviews, some good, some bad. Sighted people aren't at all accustomed to audio games. I heard that when Papa Sangre and Audiodefense and those games came out, they were mostly received by blind audiences because a lot of sighted players thought the game was broken because they didn't know how to play it. Maybe this was something Somethinelse could've done better, or maybe sighted players just aren't used to how audio games are meant to be played (use decent stereo headphones for best sound localization, and the game will explain the rest). Granted, I didn't actually check these reviews because I was cautioned that the reviews were very uninformed and showed a complete ignorance of how to play the game. And I know I keep coming back to Somethinelse, but it's one of the few companies I can think of which tried to market to sighted audiences, and received a very small amount of mixed attention. Maybe someone else has done better or will soon do so. In any case, until audio games get more positive attention from sighted audiences, we're probably not going anywhere. I still know people who would be amazed at the fact that we can play a simple text-based game or a side-scroller like Super Liam. Super Liam came out in 2004 iirc, but in the mainstream world those kinds of games have been around since the 80s. And yet, in 2019 the mainstream world, either out of lack of interest, or more likely, poor networking, will likely have no idea of this game's existence. I don't think it's anyone's fault, it's just that the world of audio and mainstream games have a rift between them which in some areas is very wide, both physically and intellectually. I guess you can't blame the two for finding it difficult to meet. When we started making audio games, I think the community was largely centered on experimenting, finding the best things that worked, making some money on the side if the games turned out to be worth charging for. and we're mostly still in that phase, the reasons for which I think are a conundrum as I said in my last post and as many people seem to be illustrating in this thread. This is great discussion, though! And on the bright side, we are slowly getting more exposure, as more sighted people do seem to be trying their hand at developing experimental accessible games, or improving accessibility for existing games.

2018-11-02 16:50:48

The simple fact is, we have a presumption that games for the blind need no graphics. This is why we get litle to no attention from sighted gamers... they aren't interested in listening to sounds and staring at a black screen. Swamp understands this, and so does Shadow Line... and if you look on Japanese video sites there are actually a handful of playthroughs done by sighted people of the game. Why? Because the developers had a vision to develop a game on par with an indie game that both blind and sighted people could enjoy. Are the graphics great? No, they're not... they look like a late 90s zelda game. But that's nothing that has been done up til that game.
@134, thanks. I do think that does apply to life in general, not just work ethics and development. It's something I've seen over and over again. Take a tea ceremony, for example. It seems simple, but everything thatgoes into a Japanese tea ceremony takes about 4 hours if you want the full experience. To most westerners who might not appreciate the tradition, 4 hours for a small cup of tea isn't somethin that makes sense. And about marketting games to a mainstream audience, see above about how you can't market games with no graphics to a sighted audience...

2018-11-02 18:22:46

Fair enough. I remember Daniel Zingaro, in the history of Troopanum series, saying he asked his brother to make a background picture. I just went and listened to it and he said he felt pretty strongly that he wanted people to see that you were playing a game, and not pressing keys like a lunatic in front of a black screen. It's a good point, and one that's been overlooked lately. That said, it's just a simple background picture that doesn't reflect what's happening in the game, so it probably wouldn't do for sighted gamers.

This puts us in a vicious cycle. Most of our devs are blind themselves so graphics aren't any more enjoyable for them than they would be for a lot of us. I guess the only way to rectify that would be for someone experienced in audio games to team up with someone who can see and also shares the vision of the game and would be able to make graphics. and then you get to how to code the graphics in such a way to respond properly to what's going on in the game. The sighted person/people would have to be soly responsible for that. And how involved would the graphics have to be? I bet there are a lot of sighted players who judge a game by graphics alone so I imagine they'd have to be decent at least. Though, if what you say is true, then the graphics aren't as important so long as there's something to look at? I dunno, I guess it's as subjective as everything else really.

2018-11-02 18:27:47

@136, graphics has always been hard. Many people who truly enjoy graphics have really high-end hardware, and therefore don't like their graphics to be sluggish. I started reading a book on computer graphics, didn't get farbefore I decided it was just too much for me. The only thing I've managed to do in regards to graphics and such is drawing text on the screen, and that was... 2D text, I think.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-11-02 18:36:05

Hard, yes. but as SR and Swamp have both demonstrated, very manageable. The developers of SR are totally blind or low vision, and managed to churn out acceptable graphics... there are sighted people who judge on graphics alone, yes. But there are millions f indie gamers who are happy with average graphics so long as the game is good. If a developer takes the time to implement graphics or finds someone willing to help, with the amount of indie sites out there, it's a situation with no losing scenario.

2018-11-02 18:38:45

It depends what you want, graphically speaking. Some sighted people don't demand the bestest most realest graphics imaginable, and would be OK so long as there is something to accommodate their vision-dominated neurology. In this case, I think it'd be conceiveable that blind devs could learn how to make simple graphics, and only need sighted help to confirm whether or not they work. (Usually, this means that either something didn't show up, or that there's a misplaced negative sign somewhere. Oh, and that one time I somehow got a JFrame to draw over my desktop instead of in an opaque window. That was fun.)
This is, however, where BGT loses outright. The Jeqocon console games had craphics[1] when they were in Java (IDK if that's the version at agarchive or not). Pygame's graphics are weak, but for this sort of thing, are probably sufficient. I assume that Javascript graphics are comparably easy now, but if they aren't, I have this convenient pre-canvas library that can pull it off.
[1] Craphics, because they are crappy graphics, you see.
For 3d graphics that don't make one's head explode, Visual / VPython is very straightforward. Unfortunately, I have never been able to get it to do anything besides the axis examples. If that can be resolved, someone combined it with ODE, so in theory that combination would simplify things even further.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2018-11-02 19:12:40

I meant hard as in hard to implement. For instance, you can create an input box (in python) (that apparently doesn't show the prompt, maybe I'm rendering it faster than my card supports) with something like (from an old game engine I have):

import pygame, pygame.freetype
from pygame.locals import *
def input(text):
    pygame.event.clear()
    entry = ""
    if vars.graphics==1:
        font = pygame.freetype.Font(None, 50)
    pos=0
    tts.say(text, 1)
    while vars.breaking==0:
        clock = pygame.time.Clock()
        for evt in pygame.event.get():
            if evt.type == KEYDOWN:
                if evt.unicode.isprintable():
                    tts.say(evt.unicode, 1)
                    entry += evt.unicode
                    pos=len(entry)
                elif evt.key == K_BACKSPACE and len(entry)>0:
                    tts.say(entry[-1], 1)
                    entry = entry[:-1]
                    pos=len(entry)
                elif evt.key == K_RETURN:
                    pygame.event.clear()
                    if len(entry)<1:
                        tts.say("You must enter something!", 1)
                        if vars.graphics==1:
                            vars.screen.fill((0, 0, 0), rect=vars.msgmtrect)
                            vars.screen.fill((0, 0, 0), rect=vars.msgcrect)
                        return ""
                    else:
                        if vars.graphics==1:
                        return entry
                elif evt.key==K_ESCAPE:
                    pygame.event.clear()
                    if vars.graphics==1:
                    return ""
                elif evt.key==K_LEFT and pos>0 and not len(entry)==0:
                    pos-=1
                    tts.say(entry[pos], 1)
                elif evt.key==K_RIGHT and pos<len(entry) and pos>=0 and not len(entry)==0:
                    pos+=1
                    tts.say(entry[pos], 1)
                elif (evt.key==K_UP and not len(entry)==0) or (evt.key==K_DOWN and not len(entry)==0):
                    tts.say(entry, 1)
                elif evt.key==K_HOME and not len(entry)==0:
                    pos=0
                    tts.say(entry[pos], 1)
                elif evt.key==K_END and not len(entry)==0:
                    pos=len(entry)
                    tts.say(entry[pos], 1)
            elif evt.type == QUIT:
                return
        if vars.graphics==1:
            promptfont = pygame.freetype.SysFont(None, 50)
            surface = promptfont.render(text, fgcolor=pygame.color.Color(255, 165, 0, 255), bgcolor=pygame.color.Color(255, 255, 255, 255))
            vars.msgmtrect = surface[0].get_rect()
            vars.msgmtrect.midtop = vars.screen.get_rect().midtop
            vars.screen.blit(surface[0], vars.msgmtrect)
            block = font.render(entry, fgcolor=pygame.color.Color(255, 255, 255, 255), bgcolor=pygame.color.Color(0, 0, 0, 255))
            vars.msgcrect = block[0].get_rect()
            vars.msgcrect.center = vars.screen.get_rect().center
            vars.screen.blit(block[0], vars.msgcrect)
            pygame.display.flip()
        clock.tick(100)

This renders at 100 FPS, which is probably faster than my card supports. I tried removing the engine-specific bits but its very hard to do. Still, this is a lot of code just for some kind of input dialog. For a fully-drawn menu, with buttons and such, you'd need a lot more, and what makes this process especially difficult is that most of the tutorials I found while researching how to do this were for frameworks, packages and such that no longer existed.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-11-02 20:03:51 (edited by CAE_Jones 2018-11-02 20:11:36)

Na, man. That's way more complicated than it needs to be. If you have to proof against every possibility, and use while loops so much, it's better to offload most of that to something else. Like, your library should include a function that does the low-level checks, so you don't have to do if (graphics) : if (unicode) so much. If the library lacks it, write it once. This is really my gripe with half the high-level libs out there; lots of redundant tedious stuff that should be in functions, and no one ever says "since this is how you'll use it 90% of the time, here's a repository to save everyone typing and confusion".  Lemme see if I have something like that, since I remember having a "high score; enter your name" prompt in one of the Java games...
[edit] found it, but it's assuming the text is being entered with the game controls, rather than being typed. Also the high scores are being drawn at the same time. And it's painful how much I kept assuming that 1000px is an acceptable window size when drawing text. [/edit]

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2018-11-02 20:40:47

@141, the code I posted is old, s I had never factored that into considerations at the time; I was just attempting to get it work.

My Github

2018-11-02 20:43:15

Code aside, the fact is that it can be done. And if the blind person is not confident in doing it, there are tons of sights to go and request aid in game design, some free, some not. Still hold to my point that if SR managed it, why couldn't anything else?

2018-11-02 22:00:24

@126, re groups, I have one question.  How do the mainstream companies do it?  I do not believe that they only have one or two coders programming games for them.  I suspect that number is probably in the triple digits.  And I bet that they all have different styles of coding.  And yet somehow they manage to put out good-quality games in a lot of cases.  So are the group issues that you speak of specific to the blind community, or were you talking groups in general?  And okay, even if your assertion that ten people working together is too much, fine.  I believe my number was 5 or 6.  That's a smaller group.  So let's take six.  And if I'm understanding post 129 correctly, the difference in style amongst coders doesn't matter so much as long as datatypes and functions can be imported.
As for graphics, I'm not sure how a blind person would code them without having a sighted person to test things to make sure they worked correctly.
And CAE, your point is a valid one, that they need so many coders for mainstream companies because the projects are so big, but doesn't that carry over to us as well?  Wouldn't this community be able to take on larger projects if we worked in groups with more hands on deck?

2018-11-02 23:27:01

what a lot of people don't realize is, a lot of main stream games can be played by us with the right sound Ques, stereo  separation when things are on the left of you and the right, auto aiming if its a shooter, when we are near walls or objects have running come to a complete stop.....its so many just small things I can list, that a dev could do, that can really make a a game like 95percent playable for someone blind. but until more awareness gets out there, that blind gamers want to play main stream games, then we are going to be stuck with what we have

can i get a peace double harmony burger? no chaos

2018-11-02 23:45:56

JLove, when in a large scale business setting their programmers will likely be trained to all work in the same way.  Because of this, even if they have their own styles when at home, while at work they will have been trained to think and solve the problems in a way that lets them all fit together nicer.  There are indeed very large groups, and quite a bit more than 2 programmers, but there are diminishing returns.  If you have enough funds, hiring 5 more programmers is totally worth it, even if it only means the project will get done 10% sooner.  In small audio game projects, adding extra people for a tiny overall improvement doesn't make as much sense.

I thought of a funny comparison that isn't quite accurate, but it's something I think we can all relate to.  You buy something and it will arrive in 4 days with free shipping.  For $5 it will take 3 days, for $35 it will take 2 days, and if you want it tomorrow it'll cost $180.  Each small improvement to how fast it arrives takes quite a bit more money.  If it was $5 to shave off a day, we'd hope that means that $10 would take off 2 days, and $15 would take off 3.  In the same way shipping prices don't scale linearly, adding more developers doesn't either.  Going from 1 developer to 2 might actually help enough to be totally worth it.  Adding the 3rd guy will help a whole lot less than the second one did, then a forth might be so little it's hard to tell, and so on.  If your project is so large that it'll take 6 years to make, even a tiny difference could shave months off the project and therefore save you the money of paying everyone that month, but on smaller projects it's not quite the same.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2018-11-03 01:42:07

aprone and to others, how can we fix this??? how can we get more audio titles with excellent production such as the bk series, swamp, stw, dragon village, and other titles??? yes this topic brings up good dialog, but what will be the end result which can evolve into positive change for the community

can i get a peace double harmony burger? no chaos

2018-11-03 02:40:58

@Aprone
Hm, I'd figured it was more for things like efficiency when pushing updates in larger repo's/code maintence, obfustication, to cut down on compile time, or a sloppy over use of OOP design. Course that doesn't mean any of thats mutually exclusive, heh. Funny the things you know that don't quite sink in sometimes.

I'd like to point out here that making these kinds of team's from unpaid independants isn't necessarily impossible, mod teams and indie projects pull it off. Its just that the steps and circumstances involved can be complex. Its the kind of thing that we don't necessarily want to fling ourselves into all willy nilly like, or for some people at all, which is why I think getting in on or organizing our own regular gamejams and practicing solo or with small teams to start with might not be a bad idea.

On the subject of graphics, I think part of this falls back to the points of tool and resource development, which is something i'm focused on. A few years ago there weren't many options for accessible graphics or asset tools around other than hardcoding them, and what was available were largely prototypes or not really well suited for asset development. On that front I've been keeping kind of quiet about it, but i'm working on some improvements on Brushtone that i'd like to say will be done "soon-ish", but we know how timetables can be. I'd also like to take some time to focus on pixel art guides and some simple graphics programming examples afterwards to get the ball rolling, although these aren't exclusively for sighted access, there's plenty of reasons developers could use them in audio games too, for example sonified environments.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2018-11-03 05:18:40

Hi:

I have a question. Why are there no iOS games with navigation systems similar to Manamon, ENtombed or A Hero's Call? It seems a curious lack. Does programming for iOS just not lend itself to this kind of navigational detail? It would be nice if there were an RPG for iOS with the kind of navigation where you ould explore at willwithout being prompted by your virtual daughter or chuckling demon.

When the wandering fire strikes the heart of stone, will you follow? Will you take ... the longest road?
Guy Gavriel Kay

discord: tayo134

2018-11-03 13:40:06

It seems like iOS games are marketed toward a different audience, or made by people with very different circumstances. They're also more costly to produce, since it's harder to rely on TTS, Apple has developer licenses and requirements for getting into the App store, and controls are touchscreen or motion-based. I'd kinda think that would make navigation easier, since you could move the phone or tablet around and get feedback as if it's touching something (use those linear actuators for all their worth! Does Immersion work on iOS? I don't remember.)

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.