2008-08-18 16:22:03

Hi, I don't like the Rowland sounds when you play Midi through the computer. Can anyone tell me where I can find midi drivers that can convert the Rowland sound to Yamaha sounds? Especially the PSR2000 pro from yamaha's midi is quite good. I know, since that's the keyboard I'm playing. I wouldn't mind getting some of the older Yamaha XG/midi drivers, but I would prefer to have the PSR2000 pro or later.

To know, and not to do, is not to know.

2008-08-19 18:39:05

hi,
i'm unsure what are you asking about, are you thinking that for example you open a midi file in winamp, and it uses dthe roland instruments?
if so then, agree, it's crappy quality. I wonder if there's any program that is available as a midi driver, where you load a sound font (.sf2) file and it will use it as your mid synth?
I mean, you go to the windows control panel and select the peogram from the midi drivers list, and then in the program you load your favorite sound font, and it will use it as your synth.
I  have 1 awesome sound font and I would do anything to use it instead of the roland sounds.
gur'r'r'r'r'r'r'r'r'r'r'r'rur'r'r'r'r'r'r'r'r'r'rur'r'r'r'r'r'r'r.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2008-08-20 05:49:02

Sadly midi on modern computers is completely abysmal, probably because most people don't tend to use it much. I can actually remember when midi was pretty standard for games and sounded fairly good, but the same music played directly in Win 95/98/me was utterly awful,.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-08-20 11:06:26

Yes, I mean, if you could change the sound font from the usual Rowland to the yamaha XG or YSXG midi-sound. I personally think the rowland midi-sounds is quite crappy!

2008-08-20 14:27:40

I thought the default system for Windows was a Microsoft thing, actually under the sounds section in the control panel it says something like "Microsoft GS Wavetable" for the midi device.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-08-20 16:59:46

welcome to the club of those who hate the default midi sound, tablin.
lol anyway, I've red on one page that the roland sounds are stored in a file called gm.dls,
located under C:\windows\system32\drivers.
There's a program called Awave studio which could handle a .sf2 to .dls conversion, but in it's demo stage it would convert only the first instrument, so We would end up with only the piano.
The name of the driver in the list is microsoft gs wavetable synthesizerbecause  the synthesizer handles the .dls file data playing.
so if there was such a program, it would handle our sound font. There was a program called win groove which, is supposed to show up in the list, but, unfortunately it doesn't do that, so it's not going to worrk. O I really would be glad to hear my computer play using that sound font.

2008-09-13 20:57:32

bin'n'n'n'n'n'n'n'n'n'n'n'n'n'n'n'n'n'n'n'n'ngo!
I finally aquired awave studio, and tried replacing the file.
yeah! I was right, it works!
guys, if ya want any sound font used as your default midisynth, send me the sound font. I'll return an .dls file, which needs to be put into windows\system32\drivers. it will be called gm.dls, and it will need to replace the original one.
I'll soon upload the sound font as dls that i'm using.
and to test my eloquence skills nicely,
i'i'i'i'i'i'i'i'i'i'i'it w'w'w'w'w'w'w'w'w'w'or'r'r'r'r'r'r'r'r'r'r'r'r'r'rksksksksksksks!
bin'n'n'n'n'n'n'n'n'n'n'n'n'n'n'n'n'n'n'n'n'n'n'n'n'n'n'n'n'n'n'n'n'n'n'n'n'n'n'n'n'n'n'n'n'n'n'n'n'ngo!

2008-09-13 23:20:38

Hmmmmmmm. Sounds good .

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-10-06 11:07:02

Pitermach, will you upload or post that sound font of yours somewhere, so that I can play my Midi stuff through it perhaps? I also need to congratulate you on making me laugh. That Eloquence skills of yours sounds real'l'l'l'l'l'l'l'l'l'l'l'l'l'l'ly funny! I try to do it also, but mine doesn't come out like it's supposed to.

2008-10-07 09:50:51

Here, have some clarifications:
- "Microsoft GS", that is right. However, GS is a MIDI-standard produced by Roland. And as a matter of fact, the Windows default MIDI-synthesizer sounds much like a Roland E16 or E28. Those were produced somewhere in the early 90's I believe. I'm not sure though, as my E16 was second-hand. Nevertheless, I love the Windows MIDI-synth, because it reminds me of my lovely old keyboard. I think they called the thing an "intelligent synthesizer" or something similar back then. Yay, technology progresses!
- Okay, so now you have a GS synthesizer made by Roland, but you want an XG synthesizer. That's Yamaha. So go and buy this, and you're there: Yamaha XG SoftSynthesizer S-YXG50. And apparently there's a version 70 and a version 100 too, so you gotta have fun with that baby. The thingy does actually sound way better than the Windows synth.
- And now I've got to say that Roland's got a better software package too, Sound Canvas, that really outperforms the basic GS thing.
- And finally, if you want the sound of a PSR-2000, go and hook it up to your computer and use it as a hardware synthesizer. I've always wanted to have the awesome EXR-7s sound, so I bought myself one.

2008-10-08 12:59:19

Yeah that's fine. That is, if you have the money to buy those kind of programs, and, as for the using my keyboard as a hardware synthesizer for the computer, it's a bit tight. My keyboard still uses the old five-point midi-cable, and most computers of today don't even support those cables anymore. So now, to solve that problem, I must go and buy myself a new keyboard, which will cost me 22,000 rand. That's more than a year's pay!!! By the way, I know that XG is yamaha, and you like that crappy rowland soun'n'n'n'n'n'n'n'n'nds, but it doesn't do the trick for me. Especially if you need to use your computer as a background midi-player in places where your keyboard is either too big, or in the way. Yamaha stuff doesn't sound good on rowland synthesizers. Anyway, my meaning is that the rowland sounds are too mettalic. That's my opinion, and I know that there are many people that won't agree, but they have the right to disagree! Regards. Jacques van Schalkwyk.

2008-10-08 18:26:52

The old five pin midi cable is just regular MIDI. You can buy a midi to usb cable. These are fairly cheap in your music shop. Look for a ESI romio (for instance).
http://www.esi-audio.com/products/romio/

This does not solve the sound problem. I don't like the Roland MIDI sound either, if that makes you feel better. smile

2008-10-08 21:22:22

Haven't been able to chase down the Yamaha soft synth on the Yamaha site, it's just too much like a maze sadly.

cx2
-----

2008-10-09 00:31:01

Don't waste your time. IT was discontinued awhile ago...

2008-10-09 10:49:28

I don't like the Roland sound because it's high quality stuff, it just has that good old lo-fi sound.
Oh, and discontinued XG synths are good, as they safe you a lot of money...

2008-10-09 15:25:33

the link
save the file as "gm" (as it is,) and save to C:\windows\system32\drivers.
a few notes.
1. Some things don't work as expected. some notes of the 1st instrument simply are gone, and the drums are messed up in some cases. I found so far no way of fixing this, sorry.
2. I suggest in case of some need backing upp the original gm.dls file before over writing. speaking of it, gur'r'r'r'r'r'r'r'r'r'r'r'r, I remenber that I forgotten to do that! now I donno what i'll do. O well.