2018-01-31 19:02:17

Moderation!

lord Lundin, your remarks have been skirting the edge of rudeness in this topic for some time now, and when your using phrases like shut your fucking mouth" you've definitely gone past it.

This is an official mod warning, we don't have personal attacks on this forum whatever the cause, and while I do understand that the pressure  holding a view most people disagree with, and one which most people seemingly do not understand is difficult, that is  not a justification to abandon reason and start on the insults.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-01-31 19:19:16

Ahh damn it here I go again.

@Nocturnus alright, let's put our differences aside. I never meant to insult you, I was actually questioning the high number of winners. Since I viewed your first response as rather a "get the fuck out of here" message, I had to respond in kind. I was irritated over the total lack of consideration and instead you and others jumped to conclutions and threw them at me. Instead of a proper discussion I only got insults ... and

@Dark you aren't doing your moderator job properly. I am not the only one who has insulted people here. I am the one who has taken the most bashing, and it was all within the boundries until Ironcross post 95 that the insult came. So please, do your job fairly.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube
Leave a thumbs up if you like what I write.

Thumbs up

2018-01-31 19:43:09

@102 I don't see how you could see that as insulting, when it was merely me stating your argument against this contest have no basis in rationality. Believe me, you've never seen me insult someone when I really get fired up, I'm very careful about what I post here, and yeah I've gotten in trouble once or twice, but believe me, that was with me trying to be restrained. If I weren't, believe me, there would be no question in your, or anyone else's mind that I was coming off as insulting.

You tell me to grow up, yet I don't see as how I've done anything immature. I don't consider deconstructing someone's premise as being immature, and whenever I get into a discussion where I have an opposing viewpoint, I don't throw name calling about and so forth. Consider this, maybe the reason you got so angry is because I struck a nerve, hit a little too close to home maybe? I'm not out here to heckle you, to be an ass hole to you, etc. It honestly sounds like you need some professional help with some emotional issues, and maybe some with social issues as well. I hope you get it and you can learn how to live among people without repelling them as you seem to have a knack for. You'll never get anywhere with such volatile emotional responses. Also consider that if you are having an argument with someone and you have no desire to see their side of things, to let yourself be convinced, even if you feel that you won't be, if you don't even open up to the possibility, you might as well argue with yourself.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-01-31 19:48:54

@LordLundin,
Awesome!  Like I said, part of the reason I was less than considerate was the overall tone of your post, the word ridiculous being thrown around so trivially, a word which, as I stated above, I've never heard used any other way than negatively, and the fact that sadly, that the past few times you and I have had encounters on topics you've seemed less than pleased with my arguments and the like.  I know that's not an excuse, and I accept the blame for all you've said; I should have considered it a little more than I did.
I'm also sorry things spun so out of hand and you didn't get a chance to clarify as you should have.  what does concern me though is your lack of ability to accept that you could, to some extent, be wrong in the way you phrase yourself.  Language barriers aside, how people perceive you is somewhat important if you expect them to take you seriously and as a person with something to say rather than as some random guy with a chip on his shoulder almost every time he posts.  I don't hold it against you though; if nothing else people like you help keep a lesson alive that I probably should already be aware of , which is that many times things are not always what they seem to be, that appearances can be very deceiving and that you should never judge a book by its cover.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

Thumbs up +1

2018-01-31 21:34:20

Moderation!

@Lord Lundin, I think it is obvious that in post 98 you crossed a line I have been trying to give the bennifit of the doubt here to all parties  witness the comments in post 91, I am sorry you cannot tell the difference between your remarks in post 98 and other responses which might have been disagreements, and even in soma ecases kurt ones but never personal attacks.

obviously as others have said we're all using text here with no tone or other expression and manifestly we don't know the intention you have when you write the text, still I have to call the situation as I see it.

@Ironcross, I don't mind your remarks in 95, however what you posted in 103, telling someone to "grow up" or "argue with themselves" is pretty much boarderline of what is considered personal attacks here.
Please moderate your tone before formal moderation is necessary.

Okay, moderation hat off  now I! am going to have a rant!

What in the unholy hole in one in Hells own golfcourse is going on here!
A topic where people are freely giving away copies  an audiogame, cooperating to support developers and get the game to people who  wouldn't have the chance to afford it otherwise, and I'm having to issue moderation warnings for personal attacks and  about the discussion discending into flame territory!

When this topic first came up I was pleasantly surprised, as the number of copies of A hero's call being donated to the project rose I was genuinely finding myself pleased to be part of this community and actually thinking for once that a group of individuals of the genus homo Sapiens were actually  behaving like those mythical decent human beings which I used to believe existed once upon a time!
Well I suppose it's true what they say what goes up, must come down.

Thank you for reconfirming my faith in humanity.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-01-31 22:40:57

Actually, in post 103, I was referring to his telling me to grow up, not me telling him to grow up. I was also attempting to show the futility of getting into an argument if you refuse to be open to the possibility to allow yourself to be convinced the other side might have a point. My remark was not meant to tell him to argue with himself, but was an observation that engaging in an argument where you refuse to accept the possibility you might be wrong is akin to doing that.

But I do agree, this is geting insanely out of hand and is detracting from the laudable goal of providing the game to those who might not be able to otherwise obtain it.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-01-31 22:46:44

@Dark, I'm sincerely sorry if this topic's caused more controversy than it's solved as that was not my intention.  The end draws near, and I hope once it does we can appreciate the end result a bit more.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

Thumbs up

2018-01-31 23:13:08

My guess is 35792

Thumbs up

2018-02-01 04:28:04 (edited by grryfindore 2018-02-01 04:31:09)

Hi,
First, a entry on behalf of my friend, as he can not access audiogames.net on his pc for some reason,I hope that is ok, otherwise disregard the paragraph below.

sam wrote:

Entry number 28383
reason: I live in a developing country, the exchange rate of USD to INR makes the game quite expensive, unemployed and lack a credit card to pay through paypal even if I had the means to do so.

As to the winers and haters (perhaps I am being a bit harsh here), this perfectly goes to show that you will have people complaining no matter what. I mean seems like they just need a reason...

Lord london, I get it that you like the game, I get it that you and others would have like to help others in experiencing the same pleasure or perhaps a bit more or less, would like to run Compititions to give games away, all good things imo. But...
Nocturnus did not have any intention of giving away 20 copys, I am sure he would have love to if his finances allowed such a thing, heck I would love to be able to do that some day,but such things grow, and if you asked me? I wouldnt have believed such a thing if you had asked me before this topic came about. Just goes to show that there are generous people who think about others and are willing to help out others get access to something they wouldnt have otherwise, more over they dont  even know the people they are helping out. So griping about a give away feels a bit disgusting if you ask me.

You would like to help? you still could, perhaps if not for AHC, try other things, games or apps what you will, I know I wouldnt say know wink to entering such a compitition as AHC and quite a few other games and titles I have gotten through kindnesses of other great people like the ones that have donated to this compitition/giveaway and made it truely awesome and a humbling experience.

With that out of the way, I hope I wasnt too late to enter my friend in!
Thank you Nocturnus,nightshade and others that have donated and made this give away possible!
Grryf

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

Thumbs up

2018-02-01 08:46:04

hi again,
guys, i really don't know why this flame war happened
just someone said"the contest is ridiculous"?
@LordLundin, if this seems ridiculous for you, why you came and started a flame war?
please, stop these discussions which are not related to the topic at all and waist time
also @LordLundin, noone stops you from making a contest at anytime you wish. so do it whenever you want and with any number of copies that you prefer.

2018-02-01 11:07:10 (edited by defender 2018-02-01 11:10:15)

Yeah, I sorta see Lord london's point.
If their is this one big contest that wipes out most of the people wanting this game and only leaves a few left, than it's harder for other, more interesting contests that aren't just based on a lottery system to net anyone.
Especially because they are more difficult, which naturally means significantly fewer applicants as well, so now your doubly disadvantaged.

Still though, getting upset about that is like a cranky old man kind of gripe LOL, I mean, you could have just done your contest sooner... Though I know it needed more planning than his so it's probably just a natural consequence, and shit happens right? it's  no one's fault that this contest got so many copies devoted to it when their weren't any alternatives yet anyway...
Nocternus could have spiced it up more, I agree, but this is his show not yours and saying it's ridiculous is just kind of a silly over reaction, even if I get where your coming from.
Everyone has their own way of doing things, and originally this was something spur of the moment without much planning, it only later became so big, and changing the rules half way through would have been unfair and messy.

I mean, if you made a challenging but accessible contest before he did, you may have gotten just as many copies. Probably not because he's a mod and most of the other donations are as well, but who knows.
Not trying to stoke the fire here though, I'm sad that this blew up on such a cool topic and I was really hoping it wouldn't.
Just trying to explain why I think it got taken the way it did.
Glad you and Nocternus talked it out though.

I still think their are allot more people than you think who want the game and can't get it though, so I feel like their isn't really a lack of potential participants, but allot of them aren't on ag.net or speak any English, so finding them could take allot more networking.
I don't know, hit up all the popular multiplayer games for bilingual players to spread the message maybe?

Thumbs up

2018-02-01 12:18:51 (edited by flackers 2018-02-01 12:27:12)

My interpretation of this contest was that Nocturnus and his wife wanted to give away five copies to people who had no way of getting the game and were feeling left out through no fault of their own. So rather than do the impossible of trying to decide who's worthiest, they came up with a kind of lottery, and asked that people respect their good intentions and only those who genuinely can't get the game enter. I thought it was as good a solution as any. Hopefully this is the start of people hosting giveaway contests that are fun to take part in whether you're needy or not, worthy or not. That would only enrich the forum, and there's nothing stopping anyone from doing that. But remember this was never meant to be an obstacle course, just a charitable act, and charity is ultimately about helping those in need just because it seems like the right thing to do.

Thumbs up +2

2018-02-01 17:21:28

@111 The only ones who are disadvantaged are possibly the people who want to start a contest and maybe can't get anyone to enter. That wasn't the intent here though, judging by every post that follows up on this from Nocturnus, all he wanted to do was pick 5 people to get the game.

Someone more clever than I could come up with a reasonable estimate of how much those 35K people really account for. Take out a percentage that are spam bots, or those who register and never post, and those who aren't active, and you're left with a much lower number. Even still, I don't see how giving away 20 copies is that big a deal. Let's just go way out there and say 5K out of 35K are active people who post at least once a week. That's 14.2% of our population. I'm not trying to convince you that number is accurate though, I'm just using it as a base. Now, if every single one of those 5K people entered that contest, 20 copies would be 0.4% of the total number of active participants. if half of the 5K did, it would be 0.8%. Let's say 15% of the 5K active entered, that's still only 2.6%. That still leaves a huge amount of room for other contests. So, can we please just stop this ridiculousness?

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-02-01 17:46:15

Roughly an hour to get your guesses in!  Let your friends know!  We'll be back with more shortly!

Thumbs up

2018-02-01 19:02:02

As of this post, no more guesses will be honored.  Thank you all for participating; we will have the results for you soon!

Thumbs up

2018-02-01 21:04:27

yeah I think you should close the topic so no one else would be able to post their guesses.
just a suggestion...

Thumbs up

2018-02-01 21:07:23

what would the point of that be, then you would need another topic just to announce the results.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-02-01 21:22:58

yeah that's what they did already.

Thumbs up

2018-02-01 21:46:52

the results are in!  Find out what they are by heading over here!
As this topic serves no further purpose it will be closed.  Thank you all for participating; it's been a great load of fun!

Thumbs up