2018-01-14 06:06:26

Update on this whole problem... I haven't reinstalled the driver yet, but I figured out that the stereo speaker jack on the back of the computer does work. It's jst the three analogue plugs required for the full 5.1 system that don't work. Strange...

Discord: clemchowder633

2018-01-14 14:48:25

Hello,

you can just upgrade the realtek drivers without an externel usb sound card, in most cases. Do watch the volume though, when the driver upgrades the volume can get set to maximum.

I have had the exact same issue, wanting to connect a 5.1 surround sound set to my system. The sollution is using an older driver. The driver that works for me has filename 0007-64bit_Win7_Win8_Win81_Win10_R280.exe. I'd be willing to upload it, but it is quite large so if you can find a source of your own that would be quicker.

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2018-01-14 18:38:38

How am I supposed to get sound without an external device? I did notice they do have different releases on the site... I just downloaded 2.82 because it was the most current one. Will try the older one though, again, assuming I can somehow have sound while uninstalling and reinstalling drivers since I don't currently have a braille display.

2018-01-15 15:40:03

When uninstalling the old driver, sound will temporaryly fail, before switching back to the old driver, in most cases. Otherweise go for a usb headset. waiting a while and hitting alf f for finnish should also do the trick, it should reboot automatically.

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2018-01-15 18:28:39

I have an audio interface I use for recording, so will probably use that if I have to. I'm not confident in it reverting to the old driver, particularly if I uninstall the microsoft one first since in my head uninstalling both drivers would naturally mean no sound and I don't know how windows would get that driver back. Wonder what they broke in 2.82 that doesn't let it work as well as it used to... and more importantly, why. lol

2018-01-15 20:23:07

It is not necessary to remove the microsoft driver at all. When running the realtek installer, it will autodetect the other install, uninstall that one first, then ask you to reboot, then run itself again, install, ask for another reboot, and you're done. Just run the file, that's all that's required.

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2018-01-15 23:20:12

What I researched was that conflict betwe the realtek and microsoft drivers was the issue, which is why I assumed I had to uninstall both and just install the realtek one... but I could be wrong. Will try some time this week and see what happens.

2018-01-16 16:44:51

The 2 drivers do not conflict, at least I haven't managed them to. Either the realtek driver is loaded, or the standard microsoft driver is. You should not uninstall the high definition audio driver, if it's even possible. You'd probably have to mess around in the C:\windows\system32\drivers folder and delete hdAudio.sys, and it would come back during the next build of Windows, probably.

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2018-01-16 17:05:37 (edited by assault_freak 2018-01-16 17:06:40)

According to many google searches, they possibly do conflict, at least on Windows 10. It's not obvious, but aparently it does happen under the hood which is why the realtek driver doesn't always work as it should.

2018-03-24 03:34:37

I had the same problem. Realtek HD Audio Manager did not appear in the control panel and the executable file did not work... not even running it with administrator permissions.

I installed Realtek R2.82 (latest version from Realtek's website) and that was the error.
Realtek R2.82 have a unknown bug that the HD Audio Manager is failing to load.
I installed Realtek R2.81 and that resolved the issue.

Yamaha YM2608

YOU
SAY! - Sonic the Hedgehog CD (Dec 4, 1992 prototype)