2017-12-14 19:33:02

Connection Info:
tgmud.net (note that the site is "t g mud.net."
port: 9010

http://tgmud.net/

This is a medieval-themed screen-reader-friendly Mud with crafting, a friendly player base, incredible depth in character creation, and exquisite writing.

Dark,
You may want to give this a database entry.
There are three commands to help those with screen readers. I can't remember them specifically, but all you need do is ask on the OOC channel, and the players will be happy to tell you. One command toggles screen reader mode, one makes the "who" list easier to read, and I think the other makes the score sheet more manageable.

Character creation is so deep, that if you are brand new to the Mud, I would recommend simply choosing a race that sounds interesting, and taking the stats they give you.
This Mud offers the usual dwarves and elves, but it is much more in depth than that. There are eight races you choose from; demonic, undead, giant, elf, dward, human, hybrid, or fae. But beneath each of these are four to eight other options that you choose upon character creation. For example, wood elves, moon elves, etc.
Class choice is fairly straightforward.
Stats are completely different in The Gathering. You do have strength, constitution, etc., but there are tons of others, so many I can't even list them all. That's why I suggest taking the initial ones the game gives you.

You can go through mud school, which is fairly short. At the end, it gives you a small quest to see how the quest system works.

There are guilds and religions, and apparently a lot of crafting. I haven't gotten into any of that yet, but from the commands, and a look at the skills and spells on offer, it appears that all are intricate.

One note. While I would not say The Gathering is strictly adult themed, there are innuendos in the game, which are funny more than graphic. There are also ways to set up your profile, to detail what kind of roleplay you do or do not prefer, and it appears that at least in the private areas of the game, there is sexual roleplay. I don't think you can set it up so there's no roleplay at all, but on the other hand, no one is going to force you into RP scenes either. So you can quest and craft solo if you want.

The writing here reminds me a lot of Avalon RPG. It was impressive! Even just walking down the street, the imagery was detailed, no stock rooms here!

Check it out if it sounds interesting to you.
And if you are a regular player on The Gathering, please add more info to this topic, as I have only just started on the mud.

2017-12-14 21:37:23 (edited by JasonBlaze 2017-12-14 23:44:24)

hi there
*take a deep breath and slowly ask* are the commands flexible? , I mean you could just l tab for look table? .
I know I should check it out myself but big_smile
edit: never mine, the commands are easy to use and flexible , the game sounds really fun, but you have to write your long describtion to advance pass level 15 or something

2017-12-14 22:11:37

hi i registered me i am atlan

2017-12-15 02:40:40

I already wrote my short description. So I don't think the long description will be bad.
The players on this Mud seem friendly enough, that I don't think they're going to be picky about it, just as long as you write something that gives a bit of depth to your character.

2017-12-17 09:17:16

hi guys!
how far you are into this mud now?

2017-12-17 09:47:27

I had a quick gander at their website but it didn't tell me much, in particular not a lot of info on quests vs activities vs progression etc.
I'm a little busy trying out many other things (heck I was in the middle of trying out empire mud when i got destracted), but I'll add this to the pile of stuff I need to have a bash at big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-12-17 12:04:06

I would like to apologize in advance for the negativity. The following represents one player's brief experience and opinions, and nothing more.
I'm wondering if there is a drastic increase in quality after character creation process and newbie school. There were help files missing for some of the classes and races, the game does nothing to try and explain what stats and skills are good for what classes, and some race descriptions, like goblin and gnojni, are straight up copied from each other.
My experience in the starting area was altogether bland; the content felt outdated -- the syntax for walkin and walkout messages, for example, was completely different, and I didn't even know about remorting before someone happened to mention it on the ooc channel -- and there were typos everywhere. I saw nothing about crafting, and something about an outdated hunger and thirst system they say does not apply but for some reason exists, and outright recommend players rest while roleplaying so that they don't fall asleep or something. I'd be willing to continue trying this mud out, but I really haven't seen much to set this mud apart from the others -- stock rom/rot skill selection process, stock rom/rot combat, and stock starting area. About the only thing I thought was interesting and unique were some of the rp tools, like the ability to interact with players and objects in emotes, and the ability to combine your sit, stand, and rest messages into an emote.
That being said, I did only play through the starting area and quest, but it is often said that first impressions are important.

Go, balloons. I don't see anything happening. Go, balloons. Go, balloons. Go, balloons. Stand by, confetti. Keep coming, balloons. More balloons. Bring them. Balloons, balloons, balloons! More balloons. Tons of them. Bring them down. Let them all come. No confetti. No confetti yet. No confetti. All right. Go, balloons.

2017-12-17 21:10:06 (edited by blindndangerous 2017-12-17 21:10:37)

I'm really feeling the same way. I'm level 16, was letgained, but am really not sure what to make of this. Since mobs scale with you, it just seems like you can (and most players do) just farm the starting mobs in the main town. I've also seen really not much rp, just people on ooc, osay and otell.  Maybe I've just not been around long enough, but I get a very alter aeonish feeling from this. Even with the sublevels which you have to hit after level 50. I'm not giving it up, at least not yet, but I am a little unimpressed with what I've seen so far.  I will say that the GM's and players I've met have been really nice and helpful when I've had questions.

2018-10-17 14:16:48 (edited by Mirage 2018-11-06 16:39:13)

I'm back on this Mud, and I've leveled up to hero.
You can mob your way to level 100 if you want, but the roleplay is really interesting, and the player base is very friendly. You get lots of XP for roleplay, so you can level that way too.
You can also buy premade houses, earn them by questing, or roleplay a LOT and earn a fifty-room keep which you build completely from the ground up for yourself. You can enlarge the keep to 100 rooms. You can also develop a concept for your own empire, and if approved, that will be built into the game.
In some ways, the crafting isn't as realistic as in other muds, but it is there. Many towns have shops where you can craft weapons, armor, jewelry, furniture, food, and clothing. You can also put crafting rooms into your house.
Also, when you become a hero, you can restring your own equipment so that it's anything you want it to be.
The hunger and thirst system is optional. You can receive the messages and eat accordingly, or you can turn it off if that doesn't interest you.
I think the Mud has something like six million rooms, and they are all intricately described. There is an information booth in the main town, where you can go and request to be taken to a lot of places in that town. That's specifically for screenreader users. In the information booth, you can go to the "travel mage." Type "help travel" to learn how to get him to take you to many cities around the realm. There are also speedwalks to many popular places on the various continents. Finally, as for exploration, in your score sheet, it tells you how much of the world you've explored, so if that's your interest, you'll know how much you have left to do.
Questing was hard at first, because it was difficult for me to find my way around. But you can get a mage to make doorways for you, right to your target. And once you get enough quest points, you can buy a runic stone of power, which will transport you close to your quest target. So then questing is much simpler. Or, you can play a mage, and at level 40 get the "doorway" spell.
You can also buy and build ships, which I haven't gotten anywhere near yet, but that sounds interesting.
The imms run RPglobals, which are Mudwide events that let you solve mysteries and fight bigger mobs, for much more powerful equipment.
Don't be put off by having to write a long description. Just use the time from levels 1 to 15 to look at various people you meet. Then read your Mud logs, and take your cues from their descriptions as you write your own. It's easier than it sounds.
The imms are super friendly to screenreader users, and the player base is as well. Using the OOC and question channels, you'll get answers for just about any question you have.
You can gamble, drink at the bars, go fishing, hunt butterflies, craft, fight, RP, do SRP if that's your thing. There's really a lot to do.

2018-10-17 14:57:45

OK, this sounds really good. I'll check this out.

Take care, it's a desert out there.

2018-10-17 20:55:52

Hi all, Wow! This game sounds awesome. Going to check it out Now.

2018-10-17 21:17:52

Hi.
Wow. Sounds like an awesome mud. It's something I should look at later on, since I'm playing other muds at the moment.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2018-10-18 06:49:44

Just know, if you feel lost in the beginning, it's because there is so much to do.
I checked it out briefly last year, and gave up on it. So glad I came back.
Also let me clarify if anyone is concerned. There is SRP in this Mud, but you can put a flag on your character saying you don't want to engage in that. Also, SRP is regulated so that none of it is done publicly. There are one or two adult themed areas, but otherwise you are safe to explore without coming upon anything that might freak you out.
Ask any questions here, or in game. I'm happy to help.

2018-10-18 08:49:07

Is there a soundpack for it?

2018-10-18 09:40:06

I started up yesterday and reached level 15. Now i have to write a long description for myself. And thats what i absolutely dont like. It is too much enforced RPG.

2018-10-18 18:51:18

Except...writing a desc for yourself is not enforced RP. It's enforced writing, so that if you choose to RP, you'll have a leg up. I'd say it's not nearly as bad as some MUDs I've seen.

My big thing is this: SoulKeeper said a lot of help files and stuff was missing/wrong/outdated. Is this gonna be one of those MUDs where the only way you get good at stuff is by knowing the right person who tells you the right thing at the right time? Or one of those MUDs where there's 999999 different possibilities, technically, but only 10-12 work? After all, having a deep race-class/stat system does not make it good.

I'm not naysaying, I'm literally just asking.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2018-10-19 14:42:30

I don't know of a soundpack for the Mud, but that doesn't mean there isn't one.
As for outdated help files, I have only seen a couple that seem to be missing. Otherwise, I haven't had any trouble leveling to 100, and gaining hero status. I don't think you'll have any trouble getting what you need to gain hero. Then you can choose a subclass which opens up some new avenues for your character.

2018-10-19 18:21:47

@mirage I play the gathering too.. I have known about it for a few years..
I really like the fact that its rp-enforced.. I was never a big fan of bashing monsters without a reazon