2017-12-31 10:36:56

@Maria, you can find a link under Jyro's name to send him an email via the forum, please do that, or check his website since we don't give out people's email addresses.

@Simba, the ice thing sounds fairly freaky. luckily our own issue wasn't that dire.
It turns out that the stopcock isn't actually a turn switch like every other stopcock I've seen, it's a lever you need to change from vertical to horizontal big_smile.

So there was me, turnning this section of pipe with the lever around and around and around and water was still on, then my land lord comes in and just goes "crunk!" and it's done! I can say  felt like a major dingbat for not working that one out big_smile.

Fortunately, the plummer turned up at 8 am yesterday morning, and thanks to the lone of some very handy fan heaters, we dried up all the water with no damage which was good.

Our landlord really is a very nice chap, he even bought us two rather expensive bottles of wine and shared one with us while we chatted waited for the plummer, and I was quite impressed that a 70 year old very straight lased ex antique dealer did know what I was talking about when I told him we wanted our front door bright green like Bilbo Baggins' big_smile.

One last amusing thing from this debarcle though was the heating. While our land lord is lovely, he does have that tendency which some older people have to  assume he always knows best.
So he set the timer on the heating before he left  to turn the heating off between midnight and seven am. We did ask him not to, on the basis that my lady gets cold and frequently one or both of us is awake anyway, but he wouldn't take no for an answer.

However, when he was gone guess what? no heating at all? it wasn't until midnight that day that I realized he had actually set the heating to be off! the rest of the time and come on! between midnight and seven.
Fortunately, this time my logic skills were up to the task and I was able to turn the timer off entirely, so we now have heating back big_smile.

@Family mario, I'm jealous, though you'll have to let me know how that retro thing goes. I've never been a big fan of emulation since playing on a keyboard is interesting and emulated games don't tend to work right, one reason I've relied  on original hardware. I have my snes currently hooked up and working, but my gamecube (which also serves to play gba games), is not in quite as good a state since we managed to lose the tv cable while moving. This is very annoying as I used amazon prime to treat myself to something I've been looking for for a long time, a copy of Mega man ii for the original gameboy, now meaning I only have four more mega man games to get to complete my personal "mega man games I can play" list, which encompasses megaman 1-8, Megaman & bass, all five original mega man gb games, megaman x 1-6 plus xtreme and xtreeme 2 and the four mega man zero games.

Unfortunately after this the games either got too 3d or moved onto inaccessible consoles like the psp, wii and ds.

Actually the Wii I am particularly sad about since it would be a good way to play retro games if I could get through the blasted menus on the thing, not to mention a few remakes like Mega man 9 and 10, though I suspect those would have menu structures too complex for me to handle.

In other news, unfortunately I'm going to have to wait on a hero's call because after buying a new Iphone 8 I'm severely short of cash, though hopefully I can transfer some from my savings and be okay in a few days. This evening we're taking my brother and his now fiance out to watch Starwars and have a meal as  celibration of their engagement, (assuming they're both recovered from their colds), which I'm looking forward to.

And that's about enough ramblement for me I think, and probably my last monthly chat for 2017 big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-12-31 11:54:53 (edited by FamilyMario 2017-12-31 11:55:52)

Hi.
@Dark. I actually got it set up first thing as soon as I got home on Monday. I have two controllers I can use. I can either use my desktop keyboard, or I can use a controller called the NES30, a Bluetooth and USB wired gamepad that looks and feels like the original NES, except with a few more buttons to play SNES titles. I can use it with my PC, Android, the Switch, and through an adapter, I can use it with an original NES, an original SNES, or even Nintendo's NES and SNES Mini consoles. It's a bit on the pricy side, but it gets the job done. The difference with my RetroPie build compared to an NES/SNES mini is that I can play more systems than just NES. I can play systems up to Nintendo 64. Anything like Atari 2600, ColecoVision, ZX Spectrum, even the Virtual Boy and several obscure Japanese systems like the Sharp X68000. Sure, you could hack Nintendo's console to add custom ROMs and even install other emulators in addition to Nintendo's stock emulator, but you're limited to the amount of flash storage. As for your Mega Man thing, you could get the ROMs for the other GB games, but I know that's something that most people are uncomfortable with, so I won't bring that subject up. As for the other Mega Man games, I have Mega Man 1 through 10 on Steam thanks to the Mega Man Legacy Collections, meaning that I can play them on my PC, complete with leaderboards, achievements, and whatnot. Again, I know Steam can be a pain in the arse to set up initially though. I DO have my SNES still hooked up, but it's really starting to get out of shape, so I'm gonna have to get someone to restore it or something so I can use the outer shell for something else.

2017-12-31 15:05:30

Hi.
Hmm dark, I myself still have a wii and a PSP, and all of these are quite accessible, you just have to remember some things, but it works quite good.
In other news, started the trail ride today and I am currently able to have an internet signal, sort of in the woods, don't ask me where ththat came from and I am now happily typing away at my bluetooth keyboard xD.
Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2018-01-01 18:33:29

How a psp works for the blind?
Or a DS, cause someone wants to give me a ds or I will buy a nintendo gameboy or gba, cause I really want a mini console.
I have a console with 30 games in it called lexibook, but I can not add games to it.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2018-01-01 18:39:38

Hi.
If you just want to play games with the psp, it's pritty easy, when you start the thing up and the UMD disk is already incerted, so when you hear the logo and wait for some seconds, you can just hit x and the game starts.
If you put a custom firmware on the thing, it's a little different, but also doable.
Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2018-01-01 22:26:02

Moderation!

this monthly chat topic is finished, can we please move discussion to the current one to save confusion?

There's no reason not to stop conversations just because we roll to another topic (I did continue the conversation about retro games there myself), but obviously if monthly chat goes on beyond it's intended month (heck or it's intended year), things could get a little screwy.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)