2017-12-03 23:35:08

To the main character voice Thing:
You should think of it as only written text. That is in fact quite common even in high budget rpg games nowadays. There is no actual voice for your character, I guess to make it more immersive.
In AHC it has to be voiced in sapi because we can't read that written text. Oh well, we could using a Braille Display... But I think you get my Point.

Well, the mixture is a bit strange nevertheless. I don't know a game where the main character has no voice but talks that much at the same time. But I don't mind at all. We will see how it fits into the main Impression of the game.

2017-12-04 02:52:44

there is a good chance it will or could just use your screenreader I've seen games like fable3 for instance that have both male and female and both voiced but it takes a large amount of time and efert and could've set the game back an extremely large amount of time that and it's not that big of a deal or strange that you get the fun of guessing what your char sounds like

2017-12-04 06:26:43 (edited by assault_freak 2017-12-04 06:28:10)

This is not rare for rpgs. The whole idea would be since you are suposed to be playing the role of the main character, the character would, in theory, sound like anyone you wanted, including yourself. In a graphical game, the dialog from your character would simply show up as text, but in this instance, the text has to be read aloud by something. So the main character isn't being voiced by Sapi per say, it's only reading out loud text which is technically supposed to be unvoiced.

Discord: clemchowder633

2017-12-04 14:25:02

25 days to release
i can't wait

2017-12-04 15:44:10

What you guys are forgetting is that even with how much the Out Of Sight Games team received from the Kickstarter, voice acting is not cheap. Can you imagine how much it would cost to have the same dialogue recorded twice in both male and female voices and how much extra coding time that would take? I'm personally okay with SAPI voicing the main character. In days past, RPG's had no voice acting to speak of, as is demonstrated with games like Paladin of the Sky, Manamon, etc. The old Zelda and Final Fantasy games were like this as well. I think they still are.

Heroes need foes to test them. Not all teachers can afford to be kind, and some lessons must be harsh.

2017-12-05 01:25:26

Exactly. That's what I was saying. The idea is for you to imagine how your main character might sound, and of course the cost of hiring additional voice actors would be too expensive.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2017-12-05 12:28:01 (edited by Muhammad Hajjar 2017-12-05 12:29:49)

Agree. I'm ok with that too.

Kind regards!

Add me on battle.net and let's have fun, region is Europe, my BattleTag is: Hajjar#21470
By reading my post, you agree to my terms and conditions :P

2017-12-05 12:38:49

Now if only they'd put in a feature where you could choose what SAPI voice you want for your character...
I know they're doing some interesting things with SAPI like voice panning and such, so this small request wouldn't be out of the ballpark; even if it came through an update or something down the road.
Later!

2017-12-05 15:19:15

That would certainly be cool.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2017-12-05 15:45:40

I'd imagine you can use whatever SAPI voice you want. But I'll bet in the demos, they just used the default.

Heroes need foes to test them. Not all teachers can afford to be kind, and some lessons must be harsh.

2017-12-05 19:37:38

Not really something to speculate on... since the dialog isn't prerecorded, there's no reason they wouldn't let you pick the voice you want to use. In this day and age, it would just be common sense.

Discord: clemchowder633

2017-12-05 22:09:26

Certainly true.

2017-12-05 23:37:55

Forgive me if this has been asked, I haven't looked through the majority of this topic because this is a game that I know very little about and I'm perfectly content to wait to figure that out on December 29th. My only question is, will this game have controller support? I thought I heard somewhere that it will, which makes me very happy if true.

2017-12-06 02:20:53

Perhaps I wasn't vary clear.
I'd expect them to let you choose what sAPI voice you want for speaking text.
I meant that, aside from picking what voice you want, you could also pick the voice for the main character so that you wouldn't have the same voice announcing damage and the like as the one reading oll of what your character was saying.
This way; depending on the voices each of us has installed on our machines, we'd be able to choose the one that's closest to how we think our character would sound.
for example, I have the ivona voices on my machine.
If this feeture were added, I'd use Jennifer for announcements and joey for my character.
This could also allow people to choose voices with faster rendering times for announcements than one used for the main character which might have a slower rendering time.

Later!

2017-12-06 02:48:20

Slightly off topic:  Whoever said Innoetics voices are unavailable is... unfortunately correct, dang it... grrrrrrr, I even bought the dang thing and have a valid license, but can't download.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2017-12-06 05:31:30

Hi, just curious, I have windows 10, and use jaws normally as my screenreader. How would I get the ivona voices or get a sample of what they sound like?
Thanks much!
smile

2017-12-06 12:06:41 (edited by threeblacknoises 2017-12-06 13:57:12)

The installer I have from ivona does allow a 30-day free trial, but I'll have a look at the agreement and see if I can distribute the updated installer; without any keys mind you.
Edit: I can't.
It's to big over 1 gb, and the agreement says I cant.
Each voice by itself from a third-party seller goes for about $45, and you'll have to do that now, because that's how ivona sels them.
go to http://www.textaloud.com
You can try the voices and buy them from that page to; by the way.
They except everything Amazon, paypal, credit card, you name it.
The site does say you need text aloud 3 but you don't.
Just buy the voices you want, activate them, and you're good.
I just tried it, and it all works.
You do only get two activations, and I think you need the internet to activate the voices, but that's just how it's done now.
I did check to see if the amazon option I used is still offered.
I can find the page using google, but amazon says the product is not available anymore.
sad face.
I do wish ivona was still selling them, because that was easier.
Later!

2017-12-06 14:46:31

I don't know how much extra work would go into doing what you're describing. I for one don't mind having the same voice reading all the text, at least as long as it isn't the horrible Espeak monstrosity.

2017-12-06 17:03:16

I remember seeing an Ivona app for Windows 10 one day, with all voices in and giving you a 30 days free trial, but I don't know if the app still exists on the Microsoft store.
Back to the topic, just about three weeks separate us from the big event, I'm so excited, keep it up!

2017-12-06 18:52:28

Well.
Should I bother keeping my copy if they are discontinuing.
I feel utter cheated after spending 84 bucks last year on their sale, I have used the voices a bit but not as much as I'd like as they don't lend themselves to eurofly like the scansoft ones I got from old archives did.
But these are 32 only and won't always work so I thought it was a jump forward.
If their services die, I have to concern myself that the next time I activate my licence that will not exist.
I am loathed to kill them after all they cost me a lot of cash.
However as semi broken as they are and such my only recourse is to go for akapella which cost a lot more than what I want or vocaliser which while I have no issues buying them from atguys means another 60 bucks for voices I allready have on realspeak and a few extras.
As for a download, if anyone wants the bundle I can give it but hosting the thing will be a problem its .5gb so dropbox will not last for ever on that.
Its also a huge upload my upload speed is really bad due to my limits a 1.2mbps uploadspeed really does not lend itself to large files.

2017-12-06 19:17:33

S. I've already considered ideas for characters. I do know that I will play through several times to test out different class types. I'm most excited for the exploration though, and having listened to the Voices Of Farhaven sound sample again, I'm most excited!

2017-12-07 01:09:13

Oh I listen to that one a lot. We're 23 days to release folks, fingers crossed. The more I listen to the soundtrack the more excited I get.

2017-12-07 10:48:26

I am excited about this a game because I have been waiting for a game like this to come to the audio game world.
Ever since I heard about this game I kept wondering when it would be release.
I am wondering if there is any way to pre-order the game?
If so is there any bonus that you get for pre-ordering the game?
How much is this game going to cost?

2017-12-07 12:00:37

Hi,
@cyco, no preorders are being accepted at the moment,hence there are no bonuses for preordering the game and finally the game will cost $20 give or take 1 USD or so.

7th december! 29 seems a tad bit far away lol
Grryf

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2017-12-07 12:50:39

Whenever release day becomes closer, time becomes slower. Don't you feel the same? smile

Kind regards!

Add me on battle.net and let's have fun, region is Europe, my BattleTag is: Hajjar#21470
By reading my post, you agree to my terms and conditions :P