2008-07-29 18:31:05

Cleen things up? lol. So far MS hasn't been to good at that. anyone tried installing JFW on vista without sighted help? Tip turn off UAC before making the attempt. Then there's the eyecandy wich isn't helpful. It all comes down to this, serf smart or you'll sank, even with the life jacket. If yall been around water, you'll get what I mean when it comes down to the net. It looks like they might have may it harder for software to be installed without you knowing, but on other the hand it makes it hard when installing something like JFW without sighted help. Are you shure you want to install this? yes. Are you shure? it's doing this and this to your computer. yes and shut up. then the computer crashes. Wasn't paying atenchon. it popped up to many times. Vista is suppoast to have fewer holes then XP, but I'll believe it when I see it. As for the holes, it might be do to the fact that xp is still the bigger target. I don't know how hard vista is to deploy, but money plays a big part in it. Would you keep xp or pay for new hardware to update?

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-07-29 22:07:37

First, I said that is what the claim was I never said they actually did it wink

Secondly, even Symbion mobile phones have something similar to that protection on installs these days which made installing Talks fun. Seems to be becoming more and more common.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-07-30 04:20:57

It's just about reading the messages, one reason why I like the fact that hal's installation Cd autoruns. I actually installed it myself on my new (though sinse exploded), desktop with no assistance whatsoever and no trouble.

One important thing is to remember the short cuts for program windows. Usually r if your trying to run something, or y for the "are you really sure"

A disturbing one that happened recently is my parents desktop got a virus. when my brother checked things it was a program which had been installed the previous day.

It turned out what happened is my dad was brousing the net and got a window appearing asking him if he wished to install some random rubbish. He clicked no, but because of the way the window was set up, there wasn't a no button and either would mean clicking yes. One advantage of keyboard short cuts, alt f4 is your friend in those sorts of situations.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-07-30 16:22:11

LOL and OOPS. When I got my phone, ATT installed talks before sending it out to me. JFW autoruns, but when you get those messages asking if you really want to allow the changes it could throw someone off. Should have use narrator to go turn off UAC before installing. True CX, you never said that. So I guess that's a big OOPS for me. I guess I should say it this way, MS makes the claimb of cleaning things up when really making a bigger mess, so that their claimb of : cleaning up the mes" is laughable

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-07-30 17:18:09

And we didn't expect this from MS why? laugh.

Honestly Dark I personally quite like NVDA for setting up a computer. It is substantially better than narrator and can be made to autorun straight from the CD. It saved me a lot of trouble setting up my current desktop, for some reason Jaws' graphics intercept wouldn't work until I had installed the proper NVidia graphics drivers. I downloaded the drivers on my laptop, stuck them on a USB drive and used NVDA to run through the install... then it worked beautifully.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-07-30 22:10:11

I didn't need narrater or anything else when i installed Hal, just stuck in the Cd and, sinse the installation is self-voicing, and that was before I'd even done basic things like unlocked Ms office or set windows to behave properly with hal.

in fact for me, narrater has always been the voice of doom, sinse I've only ever had to use it for fixing major troubles with hal, ----- such as a corrupted settings file that once needed deleting.

Well there's more news on the computer front. After carting it 100 miles from Durham to Nottingham on the train yesterday, while also carrying a laptop, I took it back to the nice local firm this afternoon, and the verdict?

Unforseen, unlucky, unlikely, and unappreciatied complete motherboard failure!

It's apparently just an application of the famous scientific principle commonly known as Sod's lore that I got a slightly dodgy part. Luckily, it's just a case of replacing that which they'll of course do for free, and I won't even have lost anything from the drive which is good, sinse not Only would I not particularly like to have to reinstall things again! but also i've used up all my hal activations and won't be getting another one for six months. of course, dolphin actually told me at site village if my brother or I ever need a spare activation to just ring and ask, but I'd stil rather not have the hastle if it can be avoided.

I'll be picking the thing up in three weeks when i get back from said festival.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-07-31 00:05:01

Well this graphics issue was a major issue, and it saved me using narrator. Normally I wouldn't even need that since the Jaws install and CD also self voices.

That's good news indeed, hopefully using the same model motherboard won't throw out your activations.

cx2
-----

2008-07-31 10:32:53

I'm hoping so. Sinse I didn't get around to asking the various audio game devs for more keys, it's only hal that has the activation issue I'm worried about, everything else will hopefully just load streight onto the machine once it's fixed.

If worst comes to worst, I'll have to talk nicely to dolphin. While I'm certain they'd be okay with that, I'd rather not have to presume upon their good nature if I can avoid it.

2008-07-31 20:40:39

Fortunately at least here where I live, you can combine your own computer and that's your word that stands for the operating system, but as most of the people around here tend to buy premade computers, they get vista, which is a joy for the IT-technologists, who can then make a huge amount of cash out for making repairs to people's vistas.
I have also tried linux and there is the thing of multiple different systems, which can make you stuck. You just need to know, which kind of system you want. For example, when ubuntu is a fearly set up frontend, then debian leaves a lot of things up to you. For example I even had to install special drivers for my wireless card, which with ubuntu were already installed and working.

Languages don't influence the way we think, but they still have a world and worth in themselves. Celebrate your mother tongue, the world is a diverse place.

2008-07-31 21:51:38

Most places you can actually build your own computer anyway, but I imagine OEM copies (original equipment manufacturer, only for new computers) packs for XP will be increasingly rare. I can't imagine Microsoft will keep manufacturing them.

cx2
-----

2008-08-01 00:05:58

well as I said, going through a nice litle local firm, i basically got to build mine and decide what went on it. This included asking them to install a copy of power dvd, ---- my personal favourite dvd playing program. yes I know I could use windows media player, but I prefer not to. Even for music I much prefer winamp.

I think the big chain shops like Pc world over here in england are exclusively selling vista right now, but even if there isn't a vista issue, i'd always prefer a small llocal company who I trust, than a huge faceless coorporation of doom, especially for something as personal to me as my personal computer.

I bet if I'd had the motherboard failure with someone like pc world, they wouldn't have been half as keen on replacing it.

2008-08-01 14:57:59

Or they might turn around and refuse to repair it because they don't recommend transporting it over such a long distance to your flat near university. That wouldn't have surprised me either. At the very least you would probably have had it gone for a lot longer, and they might possibly have wiped it too.

Then again I've heard of companies refusing warranty claims for the tiniest things, claiming it isn't as it was sold. Technically an automatic update could fall into this category if they so chose, and would probably take a court battle to sort out which most people don't have the time/money/energy for.

cx2
-----

2008-08-01 17:06:01

Most of the people really don't have time for court issues, therefore they leave it as it was. I remind once wanting to buy a synthesizer, but the price on the webpages was more than 2 times lower than it was really. When I got to know that, I cancelled the order and learned only 2 months later from my radio director, that the issue would have been resolved simply by demanding that they compensate the amount they missed from the price, but I then left it as it was, so that I am possibly still later able to make deals with this company if I ever should want to.
I don't actuelly know, how many companies there in UK are manufacturing their own laptop, but here it's even possible to combine your own one if you want, sinse the shop is ordering parts from outside and complecting them here.

Languages don't influence the way we think, but they still have a world and worth in themselves. Celebrate your mother tongue, the world is a diverse place.

2008-08-01 18:46:26

The big manufacturers let you customise them fairly heavily at least, such as Dell. Not so much with the bulk manufacturers like HP, but the ones who exist solely on sales of computers tend to do so. It isn't practical to do it yourself like it is a desktop though for various reasons, so you can't buy the parts and assemble it yourself like I did my current computer.

cx2
-----

2008-08-01 20:26:18

That's my dream. To build your own pc. although I won't like it to burn up like it did in the cilicon vally pirates movie.

2008-08-01 20:43:27

Easy enough with desktops, no burning down luckily laugh. The only things I couldn't do outright myself were -

Connecting the wires from the case's power buttons etc to the motherboard
Installing the operating system, since without speech I can't do anything

Also depending on your case you might have trouble attaching the motherboard and/or lining up the holes for the disk drives. Removable motherboard tray and screwless or tool less drive bays can help.

cx2
-----

2008-08-02 10:06:48

Hi,
CX2: have you herd of unattended Windows installs?
Basicly, you copy a file called winnt.sif into the i386 directory of the XP CD, and custimise it to your preferences.
Then, you stick the CD in the CD-rom drive, make sure the computer is set to boot from your CD drive first, and wait for the opporating system to install.
Its much easior than spending ours installing the opporating system with sited help, but may be that's just me being impationt, lol!

2008-08-02 15:19:57

Hmm I might have to look into that. It isn't like I have to install very often though anyway.

cx2
-----

2008-08-03 09:56:21

Ok, I was just trying to be
helpful

2008-08-03 17:41:38

I appreciate it, it is well worth knowing about. Thankyou.

cx2
-----

2008-08-04 11:37:18

That's something i've vaguely heard of before, but as I've never tried to build and install my own machine from scratch, I've never really bothered. unlike my desktop, this laptop was actually put together by dolphin themselves, sinse it was bought by the education authority as part of my phd equipment, on the basis that i have to take it to conferences and take notes there. It's also really handy of course for coming to a music festival and sitting in a nice litle pub with wifi access, ;lol!