2017-09-14 18:10:11

Right on, Jade.  it really comes down to adjusting your style as you go along. Skeletal knights and liches might not work in a particular scenario, which is where ghouls and vamps come in. You may not be able to use a metal construct in a particular situation to tank for you, but a mummy might do it well because of all that HP and infused saves and whatnot.  Claymen seem rather weak and puny, but you can recast them quite quickly undermost circumstances.  Be aware of what you're fighting and what you need to do to defeat it.  Vesden the conquerer and that pet dragon of his might seem like a challenge if you are a necro mage or necro cleric with a bunch of skeletal minions and pure necrocast equipment, but add on  breathsaves and cast rotting sphere instead of bloodmist and that challenge becomes almost nonexistent.
As I said before my reason for having necro mage cleric druid thief warrior is the mana stores.  I maxed out int and wis early on, then began my focus on con and str, so that now at level 33 I have a beast of a necro for the most part.  In my primary set I have 734 hp, which has stood me well against many things thus far, but my real focus is the mana and mana regeneration.  Given I haven't yet aged myself I'm quite satisfied with the 83mana per tick.  As for the situations that I don't do quite well in?  I have other eqsets to deal with them; it's also possible to use demonic favor to soften the blows wher necessary.  The greatest downside to my primary set?  Weak AC.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2017-09-17 16:02:05

@Jayde with respect to my equipment I do a compare job when I run into new things, and upgrade when I find better druid cast gear, or occasionally gear with the same druid cast level and wisdom or mana boosts, though I do now have a mana regen set.
This is working given that currently I'm level 29 and my druid spells are level 42, though sometimes I throw a few mage spells in there for variety and because I like seeing what different spells do, not to mention  course when I need elemental damage.
The one thing I do need to do is learn some cleric spells, since currently I don't have  armour, bless or faithshield, and those could be useful even at low levels with cleric being my third class and thief my fourth. I did it that way so I would have lots of mana regen.

As to alter and when things become difficult, with my previous attempt at a cleric warrior char I did find  point where the game was just no longer fun, I was stuck between regrinding areas I'd already been through, and unable to go to any high level ones. That started around level 24 and got progressively worse, and when I was getting killed at level 27 in level 25 areas the game was just plane depressing.
With my druid mage things are just so much easier it's almost funny, that annoying vampire aside, indeed he was quite a surprise given how laughably easy all the mutant creatures in the caves of pestilence seemed to be.

I'll also say I find Alter one of the easiest games to pick up and get immersed in after  absence between the game and the client there are so many commands to remember what your doing where, eg, sk to list skills by proficiency, also unlike a game like Materiamagica equipment balancing, at least when I'm going just for druid cast level is relatively easy, meaning I don't constantly have to change equipment as I do in a game like aardwolf.

Btw, interesting breakdown on necro minians, though I wonder how druid minians stack up?
Liveoaks are great tanks, but not as good for doing damage, so at the moment my usual is one live oak with a crystal coat and either a brown bear or a lion. The lion has less staying power than the bear, but does more damage over all.
that combo also leaves me some control points free for things like an earth wall and poisoned vines should I need them, indeed that might have been the problem with said vampire.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-09-17 17:06:03

On my druid char, I often run around with a moose. They have crazy HP and they hit like trucks. Then I either Tempest or Gust everything, or use Fist of the Earth if possible. That spell is wicked strong.
Your gear isn't terrible, Dark, it's just not optimal, that's all. Once I get my druid back up to 28-29 I may be able to be more specific.

Cleric warrior is kind of hard to play...but yeah, if you really don't have armor/faith shield, get them ASAP. You'll be less squishy that way.

My necro-cleric is now level 28 and on the mainland, got her first death the other day in a stupid situation where I was an idiot and lost my clay man too soon (in a centaur village near Ralnoth). Anyway, it didn't matter much, as I only lost about 300k in exp.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2017-09-17 20:48:45

Well as I said I don't so much go for optimum gear as what I can find where, which is another  reason why doing quests is cool, though your probably right about the cleric spells.

Moose aren't usually around, unless you mean the elk? it is a great tank though I don't think the damage is as high as the bear or the lion is.

I did for the vampire, it took two goes through but he was close to dead second time around.

With druid spells tempest is a handy area attack but since you need multiple hits for it to get strong it is something of a mana sucker, for an instant damage all I prefer icefog. Fist of the earth is my staple, though I supplement sometimes with thistles or dust devil, and gust of wind is a great knockdown.

I'll admit though often I just like using spells for the sake of variety, one reason I still tend to throw a few mage spells in there even though my mage cast level isn't as good as my druid one.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-09-17 21:20:58

Tested the other day, and no, you do not have to kill the weather machine first in order to kill the vampire more easily. They aren't tied together.

Ice Fog is pretty good. Must remember that instead of Tempest. I like using Tempest on bosses because the sheer damage it can rack up is crazy. It's also death on necros and other druids with minions.
And no, I did mean the moose. if you want one, go to the outer planar ice world, as I'm pretty sure they're there. Takes 22 control points I think, but like I said...huge HP.

2017-09-18 07:36:08

Huuuuuuge tip for anyone who's a druid who cares: just in case it hasn't become obvious, charging spellstaffs is a great way to learn spells without wasting pracs, as well as a nice little bit of XP on the side.
As another little sidenote, every class has that one thing or two that just, give you a fair amount of XP for doing them a ton.  If you're a cleric, turn undead.  If you're a mage, scroll scribe and brew potions for the rest of us.  If you're a warrior, get tacticle, consider tanking on occasion for others and don't throw more than one prac into cry of victory.  If you're a thief, go get something sharp, hide under a rock with a bunch of juicy gossip, then come out and backstab your friends and enemies equally because you're no good at anything else anyway.  Well, yeah, you are, pickpocketing, stealing, sneaking around, stealthily minding everyone else's business, lock picking...
Necros?  Where should I begin?  Soulforging?  Blood bottling?  Lifetapping?  Creating metal constructs and other powerful tanks?  harvesting dragon teeth?  Yes, specifically dragon teeth over normal teeth if you want extra XP.  How about going along for a ride with a bunch of friends and protecting them when regenning by throwing down bone forts?  Or, what about, just for laughs, throwing down a bone prison around yourself every once in awhile in areas in which you won't disturb anyone?  Don't ask me why I tried it... I was bored.
Yeah yeah, someone's gonna come along and either claim I'm giving too much away or tell me I'm just flat out crazy and duh, Captain obvious?  Well, it wasn't obvious too me for a long long while; figured I'd throw it out there for anyone to fiddle around with to their char's betterment.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2017-09-18 14:04:15

@Nocturnus, yep, lots of good ways to get xp, you can also get it for doing any  it seems. that's one thing I like about druid, that there are so many things to do just for the sake of doing them, from gathering herbs and mushrooms, which also make a great combo with mage potion brewing, to carving fetishes and such.

2017-09-18 23:12:28 (edited by JLove 2017-09-18 23:13:09)

I have a quick question.  If I understand the rules, it is legal to have more than one character, each with their own class structures, etc., and you are allowed to play them independently, as long as only one character is logged in at any given time.  Is that correct?

2017-09-19 07:08:09

Correct in essentials: you can even use alts to store stuff for you, such as having a warrior with tons of strength who can carry heavier loads than say your mage char, or supposing the primary char on your account has a storage locker you want to put stuff into.  Such characters are refered to as mules.  You can in general swap gold and equipment between them, in the event that one of your chars finds an item another can use.  Multiplaying is not allowed, ever!  Because rules!  Rule 2 is worth referring to if you still have questions.

2017-09-19 14:08:50 (edited by Kenzon Yeoh 2017-09-19 14:11:14)

Just an FYI for necromancers who might not have read the bovine channel: mummies now have a sort of mummy dust effect which causes your enemy to be hit with the asfixiation advanced poison, in addition to their usual curses. Asfixiation makes your opponent more vulnerable to breath damage and also makes their breath damage weaker and fail more often, I think. Read the help file for advanced poison to know more. Note I can't give more info because I am not a necro and thus did not use mummies, nor am I a thief who have used advanced poisons before.
EDIT: directly from the bovine channel (I replayed after like 8 hours or so after Draak mentioned this):
[bovine] Draak: asphixiation poison has threefold
effects: lessened regen on top of the normal poison effect, modest
vulnerability to breath damage and a failure chance for mobs with
breath attacks

Team rocket's blasting off again!

2017-09-19 15:06:55 (edited by JLove 2017-09-19 15:09:48)

Ok.  I just wanted to make sure of the rule.  That way, if I have two chars, one day I might want to play with one, and the next the other.  Just wanted to make sure that was all right.  Also, I was looking at the website, and given all of the new info, it might be worthwhile for someone to update the site articles, spells and skills, etc., especially given the new crafting stuff, additional spells, changes in level related to several skills, among other things.  Most of that stuff was written 2+ years ago, and while it's helpful, there are changes that most likely make some  things obsolete, and I'd venture to guess that the spells and skills list that claim to be complete no longer are.  Obviously the news section has kept up, but the rest...not so much.

2017-09-20 15:36:58

I have a question.  Is there a setting to change so that combat either isn't automatic, or at least I am notified at the beginning of a battle?  Last night I started with a new character, and it's been over 2 years since I've been there.  I noticed that I'd walk through an exit, and before the description of the place was done, the monster I was fighting (without my knowledge) was dead.  Not 5 seconds after I entered the room, I heard the sound that you get when a corpse is sacrificed, and I hadn't done a damn thing in terms of fighting.  I made sure that my area music and other sounds were on.  No music changes were given to show battle, no voice notifications.  The only time I knew I was in battle was if a strike of theirs missed me, or if a strike of mine didn't immediately kill them, and I started getting messages.  Besides, I don't like that I have no control of a fight, that basically I can sit there and it will fight for me.  If I'm gonna fight, then I want to make the decisions in battle.

2017-09-20 16:06:10

Okay. This is a confluence of things.
1. The first few fights you find outside the very first area you land in are very, very easy. Things will often die in a hit or two. Trust me, it won't remain this simple.
2. You can type nomelee if you want, if you are a caster, but you still might get attacked without minions, and at low levels especially, your minions, if you do have them, won't be strong or plentiful. Aside from that, no, there is no way to stop the automatic part of combat.
3. You won't be relying on this for most of your damage for long, I promise. Eventually you'll find that using skills and spells, which you have direct control of by the way, will be the only way to fight. If you just try and siet there and let auto combat do the work, you'll almost certainly get yourself killed. This may not start happening till above level 10 or so - the game really is a little too forgiving at low levels, I think - but believe me, it'll happen.

So just be patient. It gets better.

2017-09-20 17:39:45

The problem I found was that I didn't have time to cast any spell or use any skill before whatever I was fighting was dead.  I thought that music was supposed to change during a battle.  Is that incorrect?

2017-09-20 18:55:16

Music does change when you're in battle vs when you're not, but as Jade has wisely pointed out, you need to keep in mind that the first 10 or so levels are exceptionally easy, so you may not get as much of a chance to enjoy those changes.  Also, make sure you type config and deal with the battle music options to fit your needs.

2017-09-21 05:27:36

you can also type brief to turn room descriptions off meaning that you'll more quickly hear what is going on in battle. I don't personally like this option since I like the room descriptions and want them read, so what I do is immediately  control when I go through an exit to shut speech up. If something attacks me, or my minians I then start in with the spells etc, and only look at the room when whatever it is is dead, which as Jayde said, isn't quite as quick later in the game.

Also remember the rev corpse command to look at the description of a creature before it was killed if you like the atmosphere of the game and want to know what something is. This Btw is one of my favourite alter fetures and one I'm really glad Dentin implemented since there are some dam nasty agro monsters out there.

2017-09-25 12:25:45

Hi !

About gaining extra exp as a necromancer, I'll add corpsecutter, I sometimes get around 100 K extra exp by harvesting bile, fluid, tumor on corpses.