2017-11-23 01:43:49

I gots me a gamepad, I'll plug 'er in and let 'er rip.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-01-25 07:16:38

Hey everyone - sorry for the radio silence.

I got married! And then moved 600k away!

Still moving things in but the PC is up and running which means development for Lost and Hound is full speed ahead again.

Speaking of which, I have two features coming up that I wanted to tell you about because they will make the game much easier. The first is, the camera didn't snap back to a home position, directly behind the dog in the previous version. You could move the camera, and it would stay to the side. I didn't realize this was a problem for people without sight until very recently and I apologize for that. It didn't come out in my playtesting with my eyes closed because I knew I shouldn't move the camera around, but an average player wouldn't know that so again, my fault and I'm sorry and I'm fixing it.

The next one is pretty big, and I think it will take you guys into the world of being a dog: the audio is using different algorithms now to simulate location. If you've ever petted a dog you know that when it's paying attention to stuff, it's ears rotate forward and they stand up, meaning everything directly in front of them is amplified and everything to the sides and behind is muted a bit. I'm making the audio work in the same way. Now, it will be much easier to tell if you're facing the river, or a tree or whatever. Navigation and imagining the world around you through it's aural cues will feel really easy, I hope.

I know this stuff isn't flashy or impressive but if you've been playing the game, the next update will (HOPEFULLY) improve things in a big way!

Stay tuned, more coming! And if you want to follow the game's smaller updates you can check out the gamejolt page.

https://gamejolt.com/games/lostandhound/281570

2018-01-25 07:35:20

hi. Nice to hear that this game is still alive . I love this concept and your work, so I can not wait for the next update, and I am interested wchich rpg elements this game will have. Best wishes to you daisy

2018-01-26 02:51:54

Where do I download this game? Is it doable using wine for Linux? It looks like an incredably cool game. I was getting an error when extracting that the extraction didn't support parcing.

Master Rahl guide us. Master Rahl teach us. Master Rahl protect us. In your light we thrive. In your mercy we are sheltered. In your wisdom we are hummbled. We live only to serve. Our lives are yours.

2018-01-29 13:22:53

Hey Mojsior,

thanks for the kind words!! My goal is to complete a 3 level demo, with tutorial, and then publicise the crap out of the game and try to find funding for 1 year of full time development. I have 2 levels and the tutorial now, so soon I'll be finishing up the third level, then FULL STEAM AHEAD. I hope to get 20 levels and release the game commercially. I have had a great response from sighted gamers on its appeal.

I'm still thinking about RPG and honestly, it all comes down to my own deficiencies as a programmer. I would love to have improved smell ability or faster running or other RPG elements that you can upgrade as the story progresses but I am not sure how to do that yet in terms of changing the characteristics of the character. Any further ideas?

Mord-Sith, the gamejolt page is here https://gamejolt.com/games/lostandhound/281570 .

I'm looking into Linux. I don't know what Wine is but Unreal Engine 4 has a lot of options for different operating systems. I'll also look into your error. Does it give a number?

2018-01-29 22:04:03

Hi.

did you see my previous post?
I suspect when you've implemented the changes you mention about making the forward sound kews more noticeable that might help a lot with direction especially with beacons or smell trails since as I said in the previous post I was having a lot of trouble telling which way I was facing, it was odd, sometimes I'd follow the trail and be fine, sometimes I'd go off at a complete tangent.

For rpg elements, one suggestion I do have might be some special abilities which you could unlock over time, rather than actually changing stat progression.

Special abilities could include "home finding" in which you could be told the distance and direction to the location you started from or get a sound indicating), scent marking, in which you got a specific  like a ping when you were following a trail and it turned another direction, orientation, in which you could have a sonar like ability to know how far the edge of the map was in a given direction, concentration, in which all external sounds would disappear accept the scent trail for a given amount of time, and fast running.

I'll be interested to see where this one goes, and hopefully will be constructing a database entry for the game soon which might even help with publicity.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-02-01 08:08:22

Hey Dark, I did see your latest post. The newest sound processing changes are NOT implemented in the latest build because I'm still getting them right. It's a huge step forward for us but it's not perfect yet. I hope to have another build up by the end of the weekend.

Those ideas for progression sound really solid and honestly, easier to implement into the game scripting than what I was thinking of. That's my biggest limitation, I'm not a programmer by trade, I'm a sound designer. Thanks for that!! Keep in touch with your great ideas!!

I would love any help I can get with publicity. What do you mean database entry?

Speaking of publicity, I'm about to get a mini documentary done on what I'm doing here, so I'll post that when it's up. It's by a group in Australia that gets some pretty decent exposures, but they tell stories about unique startups.

After that, I'll be applying for as many grants that the game will fit, to try to finance it full time so I can put a year of full time development into it. I expect that process will start around March.

The more publicity/attention/let's plays/twitter followers I have, the better chance I have of getting funded. If none of that works I'll be looking into a kickstarter but I really don't want to do that.

Thanks for the interest and PLEASE keep those ideas flowing.

One last thing: you said you had trouble telling which way you were facing. The new sound processing will help with that but also - I discovered a big issue. The sound follows the CAMERA, not the way the dog is facing, which is a big issue. I'm looking into fixing it now. I don't know if your level of vision allows you to see the camera direction but that's been an issue for some players. They're walking in one direction but the sound is feeding them information as if they were facing another. Hope I get that fixed next.

2018-02-01 18:39:52

Audiogames.net has a database on all pages, and all people have to do is select your game; once it's added; from a dropdown menu.
Later!

2018-02-02 09:54:39

Hey everyone, so I'm developing Lost and Hound without financial support but while I'm developing, I support myself with sound and music work for games, film, radio and podcasts. I am looking for another contract so I can pay my bills and groceries and stuff.

It would be a huge favor to me if any of you that really like the game could pass around my reel, linked below. Twitter, facebook, here, whatever but the more exposure examples of my work get from your posts, the more you're helping me out with development.

Thanks!

Also it's a bit loud.

https://soundcloud.com/honkytonk38/new-reel

2018-02-15 14:51:41

Hi everyone! I didn't make the last deadline I set for myself, but I've got a few breakthroughs in the game regarding audio directionality that I think you'll really dig! Check out this video. It's somewhat loud. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMKF_J5jCoE
It features the new audio system where when you're walking, your head is pointing to the ground and you're automatically sniffing. When you stop, your head comes up, you're alert and your ears are pointing forwards, and the sound is very directional and focused to show you what's directly in front of you. It's also a way to focus on the scent trail, so that will get a bit easier. 

I'm going to have this up by the end of the weekend so you can try it out.

In other news, I'm having a mini-documentary shot on what I'm doing regarding a game for both sighted and blind gamers. I'll link it here if you want to check it out.

The updates are coming! Also I got a new computer so development is SPEEDING ahead! I'm also still looking into the errors given to some users and an export for Linux.

Thanks guys!!

2018-02-15 16:06:16

This sounds quite nice, can't wait to try it out.
Also sounds like the guy is walking with you now isn't he? Do you still have to stop and bark? That was pretty annoying in the passed.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube
Leave a thumbs up if you like what I write.

2018-02-16 01:19:49

Hey LordLundin, yes that's right. You can still bark, but the auto-follow is fixed now, and was broken before. In future levels bark will be used to call his attention to something, but only a few times at most per level if at all.

2018-02-16 17:57:44

I can not wait to test a new version.

2018-02-24 01:21:52

Wow! Really, sounds so interesting! I am excited to try this game out. I am visually impaired so I can see a bit, but anyway, most of the time I prefer to play games without looking and stuff, since my eyes can get tired very fast. Sooo, going to try it and will recommend it to my friends as well! smile

Sincerely yours... Lucy.

2018-10-18 15:40:33

Hey everyone! Sorry for the long lapse in posts. I’ve still been developing the game, but as a proof of concept for making mainstream games fully accessible for blind gamers, I’ve been working on another game. I’ll make a separate post for that one when we get the demo out.

Anyway, I need help from anyone that uses Reddit. I need upvotes on my post that outlines Lost and Hound.

If you could upvote it so more developers pay attention to blind accessibility, that would be awesome!

Thanks!

https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/commen … me_design/

2018-10-18 19:46:13

hello guys i want to try this game but i can't download it. can you upload it on other websights?
thanks

2018-10-19 09:46:31

high guys excuse me for my dabl posting i tried above link but i can't download it.
please upload it on other websights
thanks

2018-10-19 10:01:21

Hi Masroor, I am days away from finishing a much more polished version. I’ll post in here when it’s done okay?

2018-10-19 10:10:58

wow, you got a lot doing for you and I am just too happy that you have managed to do this kind of thing, I will offer my support in translating the game for you since you can do audio and music for games way better than me.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2018-10-19 17:07:28

high
@168 i can't wait to try it. when you publish it in here?

2018-10-19 17:53:00

guys, excuse me for my posting
i press enter on the link at post152 but i can't find any links to game

2018-10-20 10:14:25

Thanks @169, I appreciate that!! I'll take you up on translation eventually too.

@170 I'm hoping by Wednesday. I'll send it to your inbox when it's up!

2018-10-20 11:01:04

@172 okay thanks. i'm waiting for it.
can you sent it to me by email or skype? my email adress:[email protected]
my skype id:masroor1375.
thanks alot

2018-10-24 12:34:06

high @172 do you finish the game? if you do, send it to me by email. my email: [email protected]

2018-10-24 12:34:20

high @172 do you finish the game? if you do, send it to me by email. my email: [email protected]