2018-03-10 15:16:18

Hello,

My name is Dave Evans and I'm the writer and game director of "The Vale", an audio based RPG currently in development.  I'm here to join the conversation about audio games and blind accessibility.

Thumbs up +2

2018-03-10 16:06:49

Hello Dave.

Myself and many other people here are quite looking forward to The Vale as you will gather from This topic your producer posted so any news or discussion of the game is very much welcome, as are you.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-03-12 02:27:44

Hello everyone. I'm Joan. I came to this community to understand some things I have questions about. I am sighted, but I have several blind friends. I want to be as active in this community as I can. I am easy to get to know and I try to be a friend to everyone. You are more than welcome to contact me here or on any service listed in my profile. Thank you, and may God bless you all.

2018-03-12 11:49:18

Hello Jone your very welcome.
I hope you find what you want in this community along with hopefully a friendly atmosphere and some good games to play.

No rules on being sighted or not at all, everyone is welcome.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-03-12 15:41:25

Hi! I'm interested in how to best redesign a set of educational games to make them more accessible. This seems like a really hard challenge so I was excited to see that there is an online community here!

Thanks,
Derek Lomas

www.playpowerlabs.com

+1

2018-03-12 18:34:55

@DerekLomas, we'd be extremely glad to help with access in games, but could you please create an account and register properly so that I can unrestrict your account and then you can post about your games in the general game discussion part of our forum, where your likely to get more of a response.

2018-03-13 19:03:21 (edited by Kaplik 2018-04-21 23:29:09)

Hi, my name is Jarek, Jarek Kaplik.
I'm the PoE captain for people with disabilities, mainly blind and deaf people.
I'm also a programmer.
Nice to meet you
All my mentors are disabled, we do not often go to the same place, but we try to be helpful to each other.
Especially PoE currency, who knows of where you can buy currency? You have to play a lot of time to get them and have more time to have them. I mainly hunt for Exalted orbs, this is my favorite currency. If you were interested in currency to PoE then I recommend Odealo.com https://odealo.com/games/path-of-exile for currency

Thumbs up

2018-03-13 19:44:54

Hi Kaplik and welcome.

I'm afraid I don't know what PoE is, but your very welcome to the forum and I hope you have a good time here.

2018-03-15 08:03:32

I'm Martin . I'm new here . Been recently checking interesting forums about games , just checking out cool games for our arcade business .

User of Talent Management Software to hire exceptional talents and i love it.

Thumbs up

2018-03-15 10:47:59

Hi Martin welcome to the forum.

You'll find some interesting things here since  the majority of games discussed here are based on sound or accessible to screen reading programs used by blind and visually impared people, so are a different experience to graphical games, ---- a good friend of mine said Shades of doom, the audio doom clone was actually far more scary than the original due to the lack of sound.

~Don't forget to check out the database of games on the front of site, and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

2018-03-16 00:58:51

Hello,

I am a French independent video game developer.
I created a video game playable by blind people during a gamejam.

At first I was just trying to create a shooter, where we would imagine the story and the game without graphics.

I then added interactions to give a side shoot 'em up.

For the moment the game is in French, and the audio voices have been done with google audio translation.

I am looking for French speaking people first to test the game by blind people, because I am seeing smile

What handicaps me to make it compatible blind.

Thank you in advance for accepting me on this forum, I will then post the game.

This one was created with the language lua and love2d, ie in pure computer code.
Have a good day
Jérôme PERRET

Thumbs up +1

2018-03-16 10:57:21

Hi Hieronims and welcome.

Certainly your game sounds interesting and there will be a lot of people here very happy to try it.
We also have several  French speakers who would be glad to help with a translation as well.
If you've got something playable please post in the new releases room, or otherwise if you just want to discuss matters please post in general game  discussion.

Hope you find this forum a good place to be.

2018-03-16 14:48:00

Thank you very much, i will post in the appropriate section

Thumbs up

2018-03-19 12:40:12

Name: Dori Shimoda
Status: Retired but advisor to large blind school network in Thailand.  Also, have NGO Give Children A Choice.

Background

In 2012, my wife and I helped a 2 year old, recently at the time blinded by a bomb.  He lived in a very poor village in norther Laos.  First, we found a team of surgeons in Bangkok to reconstruct his face and nose, remove shrapnel from his eyes.  We lived in Laos and there was no such care for him.  Second, he placed him in a blind foundation facility, who was willing to take him (as a foreigner) in Thailand.  He's lived there since 2014.  There are issues with his foundation taking care of him, so we want to transfer him to a well-known and well-establlshed blind school in Khon Kaen, Thailand.  Founded in the 1980s.

Since that time, we just moved to Khon Kaen.  As his sponsors, we will assume responsibility for him during the school breaks.  We pick him in early May to live at our home for a week or two, and he will stay with us during the regular schools breaks, e.g., holidays and summer breaks.

The boy Kayeng speaks only Thai.  We speak only English (and are about ready to learn Thai). 

We want Kayeng to learn English.  We will start when we pick him up in early May.

Need

We want to find ways of teaching blind Kayeng English.  Are there AudioGames.net progarms that can help him learn English.  What kind of computer do we need?

I'd greatly appreciate any feedback and guidance.  Thank you.

Sincerely,
Dori

Thumbs up +1

2018-03-20 03:17:20

Hi everyone, my name is Dan.  I'm the developer of Caves Under Thornhill.  I recently noticed it is included on Dark's list of games for Alexa and was excited to find out people are playing!  I'm curious to learn more about audio games and what makes them more or less engaging.

Thanks,
Dan Malec

Thumbs up +1

2018-03-20 10:42:07

@Dori hello.

I am not sure about audiogames that would  teach such a young child who hasn't presently spoken English. www.7-128.com have some available I believe, however if you post a topic in general game discussion its likely people will have ideas, especially as we have several members who are from Thailand who speak both Thai and English  thus might be in a good position to discuss the language issue.

@Dan welcome to the forum, glad you liked my list, Mrs. Dark is getting to be quite a fan of caves under thorn hill big_smile.

The list was more intended as a guideline since while it is eventually planned to add as many alexa aps to the audiogames.net database on this site as I  there aren't that many of us who are working on it big_smile.

Discussion of what makes an audiogame engaging though is just the sort of thing we'd be up for here, so feel free to post a topic in general game discussion and you'll likely get some interesting opinions (I have some myself).

2018-03-20 23:59:06

my name is thadeu henrique dos sanjos, brazillian, blind since 2010.
i work with phone firmware repairing, and development of e-commerce stores.
i am 18 years old, more informations about me, just ask

Thumbs up

2018-03-21 02:25:47

@Dark glad to hear Mrs. Dark is enjoying the game, that's really cool smile.

Thanks!  I'll post a topic in general game discussion.

Thumbs up

2018-03-22 16:16:09

My name is Zhang Wei, from China. The reason why I registered for the forum is because I like to play some games at ordinary times. although I do not understand English, I also want to visit the forum.

Thumbs up

2018-03-22 17:03:25

Hello Zhang Wei and welcome, hope you find some great games here to play and have a good time.

I'm afraid that English is the primary language here, since its the language all of the moderators speak, but hopefully you can either use translation tools or find a way around language problems.

2018-03-22 18:46:03

hello, my name is kirill, i am from russia, i like to play meny audio-games, listen to music and much more.

Thumbs up

2018-03-23 12:13:00

hello Kirrill and welcome to the forum.

We all like to play audiogames here, and most of us like music of one sort or another so it sounds like you've come to the right place.
Hope you have fun. Any questions, just ask, though you can also check the faq in the general discussion area too.

2018-03-25 21:15:24

Hello everyone! I'm T-m. I like to make stuff in BGT, playing audio games and playing with tts voices.

Thumbs up

2018-03-26 18:24:36

Hello!

My name is Lisa, and I've been a professional game designer for around 10 years now, working on AAA titles, indie games, and many game jams. I recently saw a talk at GDC given by Karen Stevens about AAA Gaming while Blind, and she referred to this forum as an excellent community resource on the topic, so I came to check it out.

Thumbs up +1

2018-03-26 22:13:30

Hi T-m and welcome. lots of people here also make things with BGT and especially audiogames, so whether as a gamer or as a developer you'll hopefully find a good place to hang out here.

@Lisa hello and welcome. I gather EA sports accessibility has had a lot of interest,  the more news spread about accessible games the better.
Hope you find this a good community too.