2017-09-02 16:01:51

This forum is flooded by spam bots. If you're a new user, your account is marked as restricted. Please do properly introduce yourself to show you're not a spam bot. Moderators will then whitelist your new account. So tell us who you are and why you want to chime in.

Also, please don't send private messages to the moderators asking for your account to be unrestricted, just write your introduction here, that way everyone can see who you are and gets a chance to come and say hello.
-- Sendermen

2017-09-03 10:35:29 (edited by Sebby 2017-09-03 10:39:27)

Not a bad idea at all. Could even take the place of the general introductions we normally get in General Games.

I'll add the feed to my watchlist. Thanks for setting this up, Sander!

Just myself, as usual.

2017-09-03 14:47:49

Hi,
As a mod, how do we whitelist? I can't seem to find anything unless I'm just being silly and checking in the wrong place. I can still see the good ol ban section though, it is satisfying when you ban and then delete that spambot that had done 10 posts.

Thumbs up +1

2017-09-04 02:39:22

Would like to know exactly how this is going to be effective. I'd just recommend you put all new users in a moderation queue and deal with bots that way. Not sure how effective that would be either but...

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

Thumbs up +1

2017-09-04 09:40:07

Hello,
I I think that this is not a bad method to Keep spambots out, because as they are programs they don't know where they have to post first.

Greetings and happy gaming, Julian

If you say you never lie, you're a liar.
Oh, and #freeGCW

Thumbs up

2017-09-04 12:33:20

It's already working; the bots are being deflected to the reports, where we capture them. Awesome. Now we just have to work out how to task the whitelisting to the mods (as well as the admin, who always has super-powers).

Just myself, as usual.

2017-09-04 14:02:19

Aah, so that will explain why I can't whitelist because I'm ranked mod, rather than admin?

Thumbs up

2017-09-04 14:18:10

We'll have to find a way to get mods the ability to white list, since super powers I might have but omnipresence isn't one of them.

In the mean time, Welcome to the board Julian.

Btw, the name change topic can be  here if you want your username fixed.

Sorry about all the hassle, it's an attempt to get around the hoard of evil spam big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-09-04 19:48:38

@DArk: It's OK. If it keeps spam out, it's worth the inconvenience.

Greetings and happy gaming, Julian

If you say you never lie, you're a liar.
Oh, and #freeGCW

Thumbs up

2017-09-05 16:49:18

Hi everyone.
So this is obviously my first post but I have been reading the forum since around 2015 or so and finally got around to registering recently.  I had meant to post sooner but I wasn't really sure how to introduce myself correctly, anyhow here's my attempt at introducing myself.
I am from the UK and have been blind since birth and am currently at University studying for a Law Degree.

As far as my gaming background, I had mostly played mainstream games until around 2013 when I was browsing the internet and found Audiogames.net.  I was amazed that there were so many games that were completely accessible beyond mainstream fighting games.  The database was of great help when trying to first find audiogames that I might be interested in. 
I've recently managed to get PayPal set up so that I could try out some of the paid games out there and since I guessed I might have questions and maybe some comments also, I thought it might be a good idea to finally register my account.
Anyway, have a good day.

Thumbs up 0

2017-09-05 22:16:12

Hi Justice and welcome.

I'm pleased to hear that the db is of help to you in finding games, as quite a bit of work has gone into it over the years, also Justice and a Law degree sound like a good combination big_smile.

Hope you have fun on the forum.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-09-06 14:16:48

Hi Justice,
I'm also from the UK too, also completely blind and mainstream gamer as well! Currently have an xbox one due to it's accessibility features. But I love audiogames all the same, and like the dedication that this community has. Welcome to the forum!

Thumbs up

2017-09-08 06:50:52

hey all,
My name is tim. I am totally blind, frequent gamer. just here to join the discussion, learn what's new and chat with the blind gaming crowd.
Thanks,

Thumbs up

2017-09-08 14:05:25

@timrswan Welcome. Unfortunately I can't currently assign you to our members group because it is giving me an error saying I don't have permission to access the page, but please hang tight and someone will assign you soon.

Thumbs up

2017-09-08 14:44:30

Hello Tim and welcome to the forum, hope you have fun.

I've removed the restricted status from your  account so everything should be fine now.

Sorry this system is still a little rough around the edges, though hopefully it'll work in removing the spam while still allowing new members access without too much hassle.

2017-09-08 16:35:13

Hi I'm DrBurst,

I'm a Columbia University researcher in the Computer Science Department who is working on a study on technologies to make games accessible to the blind. Could I be direct to the person I would ask permission from in order to post a thread recruiting users for my study?

Thumbs up

2017-09-08 23:46:41

Hello Dcs and welcome to the forum.

We're always happy to help research studies into game accessibility. Your account is no longer restricted, so feel free to post a topic about your study in general game discussion and you'll likely get plenty of interest and volunteers.

Hope we can help, and sorry about the draconian security.

2017-09-09 02:35:57

Hello, I'm new.

Thumbs up

2017-09-09 16:59:43

I guess my previous post in the site and forum feedback about adopting stronger bot systems has finally been taken into consideration. :-) Anyhow, I'm still waiting for two posts to be removed from one of my threads.
Anyhow, looking forward to seeing how this will turn out!

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2017-09-09 20:44:45

there is a possibility that they will spamm in this topic or maybe say something random just get access to the forum but, it's good for now I expect.

If life gives you communism, become a communist dictator.

Thumbs up

2017-09-10 15:52:24

@Maoky, your account is now  have fun on the forum. Sorry for the mild delay things are a bit nuts with me moving house.

ggf, Myself and the moderation staff have been very aware of the spam. The fact that there has been a delay finding a solution has not been about taking anyone's suggestion seriously or not seriously, it's just about finding a way that is not intrusive to members, after all we've equally seen how much of a pest stopbot systems and especially captchas can be.

Even this solution isn't ideal, since currently only administrators, i.e. Sander, Richard or myself have the ability to remove the restricted status from accounts, though hopefully that is something which will change in the near future.

As to any spam kicking around the forum, as is usual, if you think we've missed anything, feel free to put in a report.

2017-09-12 03:53:08

my name is leonardo, and I registered in the forum audiogames.net to take questions, and to help other people about audiogames. I'm waiting to be given access so I can start using the forum.

2017-09-12 12:06:27

Hi Leonardo.

You now are unrestricted so feel free to ask any questions and use the forum as you wish.
glad to have you hear, and I apologise for  security measures.

2017-09-13 06:04:10

Hello everyone,

My name is Shane Clark. I am new to the Forum, and have been reading a lot in the off-topic room, and have enjoyed reading up on various topics. I hope to be allowed in the group soon.

Thanks so much, and sorry if this was written in the wrong Area.

Shane.

Thumbs up

2017-09-13 22:54:46

Hello Shane and welcome.
Hope you have fun in the offtopic room or wherever else.