2018-12-18 03:24:09

hadi.gsf wrote:

Ship combat is a bit hard right now. we should all band together and send some suggestions to IRE. for example when you lock onto an enemy ship, instead of typing ship beacon and  going through the scan results, there should be a track command to just  give us the info for our target.
Also  this game is pay to play for sure. it's just free to learn how it works. I thought that they're going to  change the system a bit but nope. xp gains are painfully slow, you have to grind for months to learn your class abilities, not counting captaincy/exploring/skirmishing

Micro Transactions are not Pay to Play. You want Pay to Play, go play Gemstone IV or DragonRealms from Simutronics.

To be clear, payments are completely optional here. If it was pay to play they'd be required.

2018-12-18 13:42:23

This is not happening without a serious amount of triggers.
Ship navigation is tricky, but is totally doable, if you sub the line about location ETC to show only coordinates. Still spammy s hell, especially if you plan on going anywhere fast, but I could see how you’d be able to do basic navigation without too much effort. Not sure how you’d be able to keep up with combat, though, especially with how I think the firing cone works, unless you had every line from beacon output subbed to only show the relative position of the object from you and even then at the speed we seem to be talking about it’d be quite a challenge. Someone suggested a tracking command, yeah that’d be nice, not sure if it’d happen though.
Regular combat is totally doable, like any other ironrelms game, just as long as you have sound triggers for the different status effects from when your webbing fails.
If any game really badly needed a soundpack/trigger set to be enjoyable, this would be it. If you thought other space moo combat was spammy, you’re going to be quite overwhelmed by this.
It is fun though, if I actually knew what I was doing with complex triggers I could totally see this being very workable.

2018-12-18 13:50:25

Sorry for the double post, but.
@Orin: The reason people find Ironwrelms games to be distasteful with their microtransactions isn't the fact that said microtransactions exist. It's that if you want to be at all competitive , you have to shell out cash, with your ability to compete being directly related to the amount of cash you're willing to throw at it. Yes, their games let you earn buyable perks for free over time, but nowhere near as fast. You can get somewhere in 5 minutes or 5 years, and if you don't have limitless resources to throw at a text game it can get very frustrating to watch all your friends be a million times more powerful than you...knowing you could be the same if you did 20 times the work over several years really doesn't help you feel better about yourself.
I'd personally much rather pay a single cost up front, or have perks not directly affect my ability to play well, but there you go.
Pay to play is the wrong phrasing, it is very much pay to win, and therein lies the problem. If you have not yet realised this, I'd think you haven't stuck it out on one of their games long enough.
Who knows though, let's see how this one turns out.

2018-12-18 15:46:27

rashad wrote:

Sorry for the double post, but.
@Orin: The reason people find Ironwrelms games to be distasteful with their microtransactions isn't the fact that said microtransactions exist. It's that if you want to be at all competitive , you have to shell out cash, with your ability to compete being directly related to the amount of cash you're willing to throw at it. Yes, their games let you earn buyable perks for free over time, but nowhere near as fast. You can get somewhere in 5 minutes or 5 years, and if you don't have limitless resources to throw at a text game it can get very frustrating to watch all your friends be a million times more powerful than you...knowing you could be the same if you did 20 times the work over several years really doesn't help you feel better about yourself.
I'd personally much rather pay a single cost up front, or have perks not directly affect my ability to play well, but there you go.
Pay to play is the wrong phrasing, it is very much pay to win, and therein lies the problem. If you have not yet realised this, I'd think you haven't stuck it out on one of their games long enough.
Who knows though, let's see how this one turns out.

I'm starting to see it, however I'm not very interested in being competitive. That said, the no brainer package for 20 bucks for 2000 lessons? Not bad at all. Its just like donating on Cosmic Rage.

Iron Elite, however? $24a month? That I'm not sure of. I'd rather pay for Sirius XM lol.

2018-12-18 17:23:14

Believe me, if they could ratchet up the prices to get more money, they would. All of this pay to win crap makes me less and less inclined to even try this beta. The fact that it takes you an incredibly long time to get anywhere only adds salt to the wounds, since there aren't many these days who are willing to play a MUD (or any text game) for five-ten years, and I'd presume that most people hate competitive MUDs where you play the game of "who has the most money".

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-12-18 19:11:53

You see, there is pay to win.  Then there is Iron Realms.  Honestly, their microtransactions can't even be called micro.  After you get through the limited deal options for your characters, you're going to need to spend over $200-$100 for various artifacts, maxing out other skill trees, etc.  And some artifacts, like the bow stuff, are in the thousands of credits range.  Unless you picked a class that generally functions with little to know artifacts, you're character is going to get horrifyingly wrecked when forced into pvp. Don't care if the mud is rp based, usually there is some small loop hole in every pvp rp mud where one can just attack a person from out of the blue due to faction/alignment/because we're the scourge of life in this setting.  And if there's a certain problem like there was on Lustinia in regards to pvp, you can end up losing months of grinding due to a pvp death and have to climb your way back to a certain defined point yet again.

Now considering that spaceships are thrown into the mix, and hello transactions that manage to be more expensive than Eve Online.  Out of the other space related moos out there, I don't remember an advancement option for skills in any of them, or any that approach the price of maxing out a single skill out of many in an IRE game.  I actually don't mind this being a thing in muds, as I do play some that let you purchase whatever form of advancement points.  but when skills are cloced off at such a low point, and one is forced to do the premium currency grind to progress further... yeah no. 

...Anyway, if this is like any other ire game out there, it shouldn't take the community long to develop a bunch of scripts to essentially play the game for you.  Especially with how space flight is looking, I'd imagine people would automate most of the function to not have to worry about those inputs during a fight, or just for travel.  The only thing that would then need to be worked on is the remaining missing information that we need to function well as blind players.   What still bugs me about this is that they did mention they had a blind coder working on this game, and would design most aspects of the game to be doable.   This is not really a great sign if this is how it came out.  Stuff that works is essentially how the other Iron Realms games came out, and the new part of the game is not easily playable.

The answer to your question is forum.audiogames.net/search

2018-12-19 02:53:46 (edited by Ethin 2018-12-19 02:54:34)

@31, Not just that, but they've been working on this for, what, 3 years? I'd expect a beta like this to be far, far more developed than it currently sounds. I'm not going to play it purely because of the way its turned out. What IRE does is not microtransactions, their megatransactions. No other business with microtransaction would ever run a scheme like this. Not even video game organizations run schemes like that -- at least you can play the damn game to the end!

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-12-19 19:41:43

I think it would be beneficial for people to try to talk to the administration a bit. I'm not as negative on this game as some, because I love the SF theme, but still, spaceflight is definitely kind of hard at the moment.

The good news is that they are still receptive to feedback, so it's not like most things are set in stone.

2018-12-20 09:42:59

Well, I have played for  a while now, and I Kind of like the concept. Especially, the idea of spaceflight  is a refreshing Change to all the other space muds out there. It probably will take some time to get used to. But I will continue playing and see, how far I will get.
I can understaqnd, that People are a bit hesitant, because of These microtransactions. It is true, that you Need a ton of lessons, to max out your classes. And if you really only gain five lessons with each Levelup, that could become a Problem. And I don't know yet, if there are other, in-game ways, to earn lessons.
My biggest Problem at the Moment, is this Information Overkill that you get, when you are in combat. That is probably not a big deal for a sighted Person. But I will probably have to make some rudimentary Sound Triggers.
Anyway. I will continue playing. At least for now.

2018-12-20 11:05:57

Hello game is so cool but for me in this moment is werry hard a space flight system. I know that is space in 2D and does haveoptions when i come to any system or sector, to check coordinates of all objects in this system-sector?

2018-12-20 18:21:43

Thus far I've had success in combat by disabling the wet wiring messages, which otherwise tend to clutter up the speech. I just have to trust that the thing is doing its job. Beyond that, i just wait for the balance restoration message or trust the game's queueing system. I've had no problems unless I deliberately pick a fight with something much stronger than myself.

This only applies for personal combat, I haven't done anything in space yet.

2019-02-22 23:15:28

Gonna necro this since I didn't find a topic in new releases. Started playing earlier and so far, I like it.

It's interesting, and I like the ways quests can be solved.

But I got questions, mostly since I went a human scoundrel. I'd very much like to finish the census data quest, but for some reason, can't figure out hacking. What am I doing wrong, infect gives me no_target, and I got 2/27 in hacking, soooo

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers