2018-02-12 01:46:06

I get something that says: application menu. i've seen this menu before. is this how it would look and act if i could use the super key?

2018-02-12 01:57:03

also, when i start it up, i login and then i have no speech after it says screen reader on, when i open a terminal it announces things there, but when i close it orca goes silent.

2018-02-12 10:18:46

Okay, question....

For Mate, I use Solus which has its own super key menu (and useful, too)

Can I hide the alt F1 menu in Mate, but keep the tray with the clock, battery status etc? If so, what's the easiest way to do it? I never use the alt F1 menu any more, but I do need the alt F2 menu for running stuff if I don't feel like opening a terminal.

Also. Anyone tried Ubuntu Budgie? Is it actually any good? I liked budgie when I used it on Solus, and having that desktop and Ubuntu sounds like a good idea...in theory BUT...here's my question, is it useable with Ubuntu? Solus, it broke after updates, so......

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

2018-02-12 10:21:35

One more:

Any truth to the rumors of making Cinnamon Orca friendly? I've heard bits of rumors every so often.

Also on Linux natively

2018-02-12 18:06:37

So,
Budgie is not accessible
Nope, you cannot hide the alt F1 menu
@kingzombie
Never launch Orca from a terminal

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2018-02-12 19:14:50

You referring to Ubuntu Budgie or Solus Budgie as I've got Orca to work with Budgie last year, however any sort of updates completely broke it, so there's that...but out of the box, at least for Solus it did actually work with Orca for a few months thenthe updates got put on the ISO. I'd ask the Solus devs what their plans are for Budgie and Orca, since right now AFAIK it still uses GTK but they're shifting Budgie over to QT...but I'm going off an old 2017 Budgie ISO I got laying around which still used GTK so caveat: Not tested the latest Budgie release. Mate works fine here...

Also for the launching from terminal....eh no, depends on the distro but some (Mint) you have to, or it's easier to launch from a terminal, or when the shortcut just insstantly closes (oh hi Mint...AGAIN). Personally I've had more success getting Orca going from a live session terminal than the alt F2 menu

Ah crap thought you could hide the Alt F1 menu. I just unbound the key combo then, so there's that. On another note, gotta love digging around in conf files. I managed to get my desktop to shift everything 90 degrees...which is both hilarious and annoying for everyone else who walks past and asks if I know my desktop's rotated 90 degrees. Yes. I'm aware. Yes. I like it better like so.

Also on Linux natively

2018-02-12 19:33:54

I doubt cinnamon will ever be orca friendly since the dude basically ripped the entire universal access suite of stuff out of it.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-02-12 20:59:32

Ack, well there goes my hope for Mint's flgship DE to be useable.......admittedly Mint Mate is okay but...it's Mate.

I can't. I just can't go back to a distro without the Brisk menu. That's a godsend really, the Brisk menu, hit super/windows key, menu comes up and you can navigate it like a Windows start menu. It's super useful...I just wish I could hide the alt F1 menu on Solus Mate since I never use it but hey, unbinding the alt F1 shortcut works, and rebinding alt F2 to super and R works fine here....admittedly I kpt alt F2 to do the same thing however for convenience's sake.....

Okay, so, I'm just meh about Mate right now, It works fine, I have it set up how I like but it's just like yeah, okay< I got Mate, right, but what else is out there that's a decent DE that works with Orca and is simple, easy to learn and lightweight?

Also on Linux natively

2018-02-13 16:08:50

Gnome desktop.

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.

2018-02-13 17:00:54

LXDE. It works, it's great... I could go on. Use LXDE.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-02-14 03:57:15

Gnome 3? No, Just no, personally....I like the idea, but.....it's unwieldy, it's confusing at.....at least here on my laptop, it's not actually that Orca friendly. I'm talking about the latest Gnome 3.2X versions

LXDE....is intriguing but...ya know, Orca apparently works with it, but where to export that variable? I'm actually curious to try LXDE out since I never got Ubuntu to work with it.

Also on Linux natively

2018-02-19 22:54:54

blindndangerous wrote:

So from what I heard, Voxin is extremely old and needs specific libraries that are very old, possibly nott supported any longer just to even build it. Is this still true?  Also, has anyone tried linux mint? I've heard that was good. I only know of Debian, ubuntu and arch. Cali I believe will work, but I'm unsure how to get it up and running. Knoppix is also still a viable option to at least get your feet wet. It uses LXDE, or it did last time I used it.  I don't see the point of emacspeak though. Maybe I'm missing something, but why would I install a distro just to install yet another system on top of it when a screenreader already exists on the base system?

Voxin installs on debian 9 which is what i use now.
As for emacspeak, when i type make emacspeak, it gives me an error, and outloud won't build either. so no idea

But sometimes the world is better without sight...
Because You can see the world how it really is...
Dark.

2018-02-20 03:10:46

So was on the another site last night, and saw some one talking about Debian Buster and Stretched edition. Anyone have any idea what these are? Apparently they're the best for making linux distros.

2018-02-20 04:44:24

I like Gnome 3. Yeah its got a lot to it but I like it. I like Mate too. I don't like Unity, haven't tried KDE or LXDE though.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-02-22 07:36:08

Hello!
So glad I found this topic.
I have ubuntu installed on a laptop with a core i7-3610qm. It was my first time installing and, if I'm honest, it's a good introduction to getting your feet wet. Remember that most are coming off of a gui interface and it's hard to remember all of the commands. This lets them dive into it as fast or slow as they want while still retaining the familiarity of the graphical interface.

Now for my problem.
I'm attempting to install it on a second machine, I should add that 17.10 is horribly broken with orca starting up and 16.04 is what I'm using. This was also my first linux install and, so far, I was happy with it. Now I tried to install on a second machine. The dvd booted, and when it spun down all the way, I ran orca with alt super s as on the laptop.

This is a desktop with, I believe, the same general soundcard - realtech alc892 I think? The dvd clearly spun up and the lens moved around for a few seconds just as it did when orca started before on the laptop. But this time I got no sound.
Is there a way through terminal to change sound devices? I really would rather not get sight - the monitor is up on a top shelf. Both of these machines are from 2013 or so. I know that Ubuntu is based off debian so I don't think that would really fix anything. I have tried using pacmd on the laptop with a USB audio device plugged in and changing it to profile number 1, which is the headset, with output:analog stereo. Orca still came out of the internal speakers.

One of the highly frustrating things about Linux is the lack of real documentation. I can read dozens of forums but, depending on the version of Linux or the specific device I'm attempting to change nothing happens. I was excited to look at alsamixer until I saw that, at least as far as I can see, it's completely and utterly unusable by a blind person. I got a ton of numbers - and when it said to use the keyboard to change audio devices with left and right and volume with up and down, even when hitting insert backspace to pass through commands from orca it did no good.

Again, a complete noob here to Linux so any help is appreciated - whether it be through here or another way of communication if someone wants to private message me.

I'm slowly bumbling my way around the terminal and command line things, too - though it really is amazing the stuff one must remember. Maybe there are easier ways to do things like unzipping and extracting installer files and maybe I'm missing tons of things. I'd really like to get proficient at this though because from what I can see it's a supremely powerful operating system that offers tons and tons of customizability. Overclocking my fx8350 would be a ton of fun - any daring sols want to help with that from within Linux if we can get it up and rolling? I've got a corsair h100I CPU cooler so let's see if we can get this bad boy up to 5 ghz shall we?

Something something something insert canine related comment here

2018-02-22 09:37:46

Do this

1. Hit Alt F2

Hit backspace until you heer a sound

3. Type in orca --replace

This restarts Orca, if you get no sound try it again, at times running 3.26 I have to do that if Orca dies on me.

4. Super+alt+S doesn't work for every distro, but alt+f2 Orca --replace does. Out of curiosity what desktop are you using on 16.04? I'd suggest getting Mate for use with Orca honestly. I'm using Solus with it here but I know how Ubuntu can be.

Also on Linux natively

2018-02-22 19:21:50

JaceK wrote:

Do this

1. Hit Alt F2

Hit backspace until you heer a sound

3. Type in orca --replace

This restarts Orca, if you get no sound try it again, at times running 3.26 I have to do that if Orca dies on me.

4. Super+alt+S doesn't work for every distro, but alt+f2 Orca --replace does. Out of curiosity what desktop are you using on 16.04? I'd suggest getting Mate for use with Orca honestly. I'm using Solus with it here but I know how Ubuntu can be.

I'm using the same distro that orca started fine on on the previous install.
I'm just using the standard desktop - as I said, really have no idea what I'm doing most of the time.
I don't think I'm getting any sound at all. I'm wondering if it's trying to use HDMI audio?

Something something something insert canine related comment here

2018-02-22 20:15:28

Okay you're probably using Unity then, try grabbing an Ubuntu Mate copy and doing the steps I mentioned above. FWIW Unity was spotty with sound, it could be that the desktop is doing something to yo sound card. I'd say try another distro and check if that fixes things.

Also on Linux natively

2018-03-03 22:08:13

Okay guys, I'm running into a weird issue here. Got told to try Antergos. So I grabbed the ISO. Used DD to make the bootable ISO.

Plug it in, nope, failed to load things. So.....it's an 8gig stick, here's the weird thing....Manjaro loads flawlessly on the same stick. Ubuntu loads fine, even Windows loads fine. What's so special about the way Antergos's ISO is set up to make it not load?

Also on Linux natively

2018-03-03 23:18:10

Use something else than DD

2018-03-03 23:57:17

Already did, with the same end result, it failed to boot, and it's the latest ISo from Antergos themselves.

Amusingly, Manjaro works  fine no problem with DD or any other method, Ubuntu works fine with DD and its derivatives, so I'm not sure why Antergos gives me .c32 errors. And yes, This happens over multiple USB sticks. I've verified the file's not corrupt, I've tried several different tools, I've even tried using two different distros to burn the ISO to a USB drive....with no luck.

So, ideas?

Also what's wrong with DD? I've been told to use it as it's more reliable as long as you know what you're doing that is.

Also on Linux natively

2018-03-04 01:18:08

Nothing, I myself do use it, but some EFI implementations doesn't like how it is burning the ISOs on the stick, that is why I advised using something else.

2018-03-08 20:21:54

So since I got told, flat out, Antergos was easier to use than Manjaro....that's bullshit. Yes, Antergos has Orca in by default....BUT having installd the Mate desktop.....a crapton of stuff isn't being picked up by Orca that runs fineon other distros with the same desktop. Pidgin, for example on my desktop is completely and utterly ignored by Orca bar the title bar. Yet it works perfectly fine in Manjaro, Solus, even Ubuntu...

Same for, oh I don't know, BleachBit, works fine in Manjaro, is completely nuseable in Antergos.

Now, is there some setting I ave to tick in Antergos? I installed the accessibility components to get it all to work well alongside Steam and other stuff, so.....

Also on Linux natively

2018-03-08 22:11:51

QT-adspi. Did you install it?