2017-07-11 23:43:46 (edited by Trajectory 2017-07-11 23:45:12)

If I install software by compiling from source, is there any way I can get pkg_config to recognize it?
The configure script for a software application I'm trying to build from source uses pkg_config to find it's dependancies, but some of said dependancies aren't available in my distro's package manager so I've had to build those from their source distributions. Of course pkg_config doesn't know about software installed this way. Do I need to write the pkg_config files by hand or is there some way to generate them?

Official server host for vgstorm.com and developer of the Manamon 2 netplay server.
PSA: sending unsolicited PMs or emails to people you don't know asking them to buy you stuff is disrespectful. You'll just be ignored, so don't waste your time.

2017-07-14 01:52:37

Hi!
I am completely new to Linux. I have never used Linux in my entire life, so I don't know if I will like it or if I won't. I also don't know what the differences are between distros, or if it matters in terms of accessibility. What screen readers do people use? Also, if one is hosting a Linux VPS or Raspberry Pie, how do you get SSH?
As a challenge, I would ask that yu think about how to explain the concept of using Linux as if you were talking to someone who knew nothing about technology. I have noticed that a lot of people tend to speak the language as they expect you to know what they mean right off the bat. So if you can put it in lay terms that would be greatly appreciated.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2017-07-14 10:57:21

OK, let me accept this challenge
FIrst: It does matter what distro you use in terms of accessibility, why?
Each distro could have its own graphical interface, on windows its called explorer. On Linux you have some graphical interfaces: Gnome, mate ETC, for me gnome is the best because its the most easy one to setup.
About screenreaders, people generally use Orca for GUI and speakup for console.

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2017-07-14 22:25:20

what are some good web sites to download Linux? Is it Source Forge, gitHub, Linux dot com, or something else? Do you need to do anything special to your computer to run them?
I know that the majority of Linux is driven by command lines, though I was not aware that they also had graphical user interfaces as well.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2017-07-17 00:45:14

Can I install talking arch on vmware player? when i select the iso it says it can't recognize the operating system, what do i do?

2017-07-18 14:48:25

Hello, all!
So I recently went to one of my favourite podcasts at http://www.EyesonSuccess.net/ where I actually ended up taking a trip to a Chemistry Camp session thanks to them. I learned about something called Vinux and Raspberry VI, which is an accessible variant of the PI.
When I learned about using SSH on Windows, I learned that I needed to get a client that allows you to run SSH commands like Sigwin or PUtY. Are these fully accessible, or do you prefer to use a specific one? If so, why or why not?

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2017-07-18 17:22:10

hello so intresting topic  and  so help full plese help me  to  update orca  and  install voxin  in ubuntu mate 16.014 .2  i run sh instaler  it oppen with  get edit text editor  in unity  but  plese some one  help me

2017-07-20 04:43:02

sorry i dont underrstand  this

2017-07-22 20:23:01

If you want to update orca, go to the directory with the terminal and type
chmod +x ./filename.sh
./filename.sh -prefix /usr/share

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2017-07-27 10:30:41

but  @ nuno win witch derectory i have to go?

2017-07-29 11:54:51

Has anyone try setup Kali??

2017-08-09 16:16:16

this guide straight up does not work. I followed the steps exactly, firt I got an eror making espeak then I got a thing telling me the emacs files didn't exist. then I just gave up. the only thing I got was emacspeak downloaded and emacs installed

But sometimes the world is better without sight...
Because You can see the world how it really is...
Dark.

2017-08-10 09:48:32

Hi,
I've seen many people for some reason desperately struggling to get on their feet with Linux, partly due to the fact there simply aren't good tutorials in one place, partly because of the image of Linux as the text OS that only hackers use, among other reasons.
Anyway, to get to the point, has anyone considered hosting a site for this sort of thing? I could see it being useful.

2017-08-10 17:56:15

I could certainly set one up. In fact, I'd happily do that. Yes, yes indeed; this is going to be very fun. I'll host it on my server and notify yall when it's ready for "public consumption." big_smile

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2017-08-10 21:42:52

You know, I just had a thought. If we were to do this, and set up an assistance center like cartertemm suggested, wouldn't it be more beneficial if we made it for all operating systems, not just Linux? We don't have to, of course. Just a thought.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2017-08-11 06:07:56

hey can anyone  tell me how do i ad  orcas repos it says  when i update or try to install orca from terminal  it says   dont have  a instalation candidate refers to  onether pack

2017-08-23 13:04:19

Okay, so a friend of mine was kind enough to drop me an ISO file containing Vinux which had Ubuntu on it. But if I wanted to get more flavours like Debian or Arch, where can I get them? Is there a central location where you can get a direct download withouthout going through many steps? I'm the kind of person who is cautious and wants to see things work without running into many error messages, and trust me, I had several of those, but they all meant nothing to me.
Do all Linux distributions come with Orca? Do you activate the screen reader with alt windows s?
Also, I'm thinking of getting a Raspberry Pi. How do I go about converting it to the Raspberry Vi?
People have been talking about how impractical it is to have a Windows VPS, so I got to try out Vinux on a virtual machine. I'm glad to say that they still have graphical interfaces that allow you to use the arrow keys and tab and shift tab keys. I'm not sure if I'm ready to start learning command lines yet, though I know at one point I will have to learn them so I can use SSH transfer.
If I'm going with Linode, which distribution should I choose, and how do I get into the system to enable Orca if Linux doesn't use a remote desktop connection like Windows does? I am wanting to really work on setting up a web site or installing WordPress, but I was not able to get WAMP or IIS to work on Windows, so I don't know how it would work under Linux.
I recently had an internet change. I now have fibre-optic internet. I can do one of two things. If I want to use multiple devices like a printer, my iPhone, my Book Port Plus, and my computer and my iPad, I'd need a router that is connected to the wall via an Ethernet cable, not a coaxial cable. However, with routers, you have two networks now, and you have to do port forwarding. Another way I could go around this is to disconnect the router from the wall and plug it directly into the back of my computer and bypass any port-forwarding problems. Any ideas on how I can get started? I've been at this for two whole months and I still haven't given up. Somewhere out there lies a solution waiting to be discovered.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2017-08-23 14:10:52

Okay, so a friend of mine was kind enough to drop me an ISO file containing Vinux which had Ubuntu on it. But if I wanted to get more flavours like Debian or Arch, where can I get them? Is there a central location where you can get a direct download withouthout going through many steps? I'm the kind of person who is cautious and wants to see things work without running into many error messages, and trust me, I had several of those, but they all meant nothing to me.

There's DistroWatch, but you still have to go download the distros from the original vendor.

Do all Linux distributions come with Orca?

No. I know Ubuntu, Arch, Gentoo and Debian do, but others...

Do you activate the screen reader with alt windows s?

This seems to never be a constant, not even with Ubuntu tongue. So no.

Also, I'm thinking of getting a Raspberry Pi. How do I go about converting it to the Raspberry Vi?

Raspberry Pi's work via SD Card's. Micro ones, in fact. I've never imaged a raspberry Pi -- hell, I've never actually fully used one -- so I'm certainly not equipped to answer this question.

If I'm going with Linode, which distribution should I choose, and how do I get into the system to enable Orca if Linux doesn't use a remote desktop connection like Windows does?

With Linux, there are usually two types of Distros -- server and desktop ones. There's sometimes embedded, too, but that's a totally different thing. All distros found on Linode, Digital Ocean, etc. are all server distributions. What this means is that they don't come with a desktop environment, they don't come with Orca... they don't come with any graphical tools whatsoever. They come with a command line, dialog, and maybe some other tools that can make text user interfaces. But no GUIs. So if you want to set up word press, LAMP, etc. better master the command-line first.
To answer your other question, there is no central WAMP package for Linux. There is no IIS for Linux. There are, however, separate packages for different things: web server (i.e. Apache, Nginx, etc.), Database Servers (MongoDB, MySql, Oracle, etc.), and PHP. Unfortunately, due to the incredibly diverse Linux world these days, there is no "central" way to set up word press, or, really, anything that uses a web server.

I recently had an internet change. I now have fibre-optic internet. I can do one of two things. If I want to use multiple devices like a printer, my iPhone, my Book Port Plus, and my computer and my iPad, I'd need a router that is connected to the wall via an Ethernet cable, not a coaxial cable. However, with routers, you have two networks now, and you have to do port forwarding. Another way I could go around this is to disconnect the router from the wall and plug it directly into the back of my computer and bypass any port-forwarding problems. Any ideas on how I can get started? I've been at this for two whole months and I still haven't given up. Somewhere out there lies a solution waiting to be discovered.

I wouldn't go with the second option. If you do that, then you only give internet access to those devices that you directly connect to the router. If you go with the first, you can have a centralized network hat all your networked devices can connect to. You'll have to deal with port forwarding, but that's just life -- and it's probably the best method too.

My Github

2017-08-26 05:22:29

hey ethun plese  tell me how do i fix  orca  referce to onether source  and how do i ad  repo for update orca and  other acceseble  tools

2017-08-29 03:08:34

@prajwal, first, include the distribution your talking about. You just quite literally asked me such an open-ended question that's so vague that it's impossible for me to give you a definitive answer. There are so many ways to do what your asking out there it's insane.

My Github

2017-08-31 20:52:35

Jesus, you fucking spam bots! Fuck off, will you?

My Github

2017-09-01 05:50:45

i have ubuntu mate

2017-09-01 08:51:37

@72, OK. apt-get is your package manager. You shouldn't need to add any additional repositories -- you should already have the latest version of Orca available -- that is, the latest in the repo.

My Github

2017-10-06 13:08:46

Someone sent me an ISO containing Vinux on it. Right now I am using it on a virtual machine. I heard that you could install it on a computer or tablet as well. The only problem is that I believe you need to know what key to press to launch the bios, and I don't know how one would find that out. The Vinux that I was given uses Ubuntu, and I've used it so far to install the Python bytecode components to run RS Games.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2017-10-06 17:20:10

So from what I heard, Voxin is extremely old and needs specific libraries that are very old, possibly nott supported any longer just to even build it. Is this still true?  Also, has anyone tried linux mint? I've heard that was good. I only know of Debian, ubuntu and arch. Cali I believe will work, but I'm unsure how to get it up and running. Knoppix is also still a viable option to at least get your feet wet. It uses LXDE, or it did last time I used it.  I don't see the point of emacspeak though. Maybe I'm missing something, but why would I install a distro just to install yet another system on top of it when a screenreader already exists on the base system?