2008-04-21 01:32:28

I am facing the problem to decide whether game world events should be expressed using sound effects or text messages or both.

Example from Jungle Adventure:
Right now, when the player character shoots his gun you hear an appropriate sound effect (gun shot). If the player hits his (human) target you get another sound effect that sound like a body falling down on the ground (enemies do not have hit points so hit = kill). Alternatively I could output a text message using TTS like "Cannibal killed!". Or I could combine both, playing the sound effects first followed by the text message.

Text messages are clearer and the player does not have to learn what the sound effects mean (should be pretty obvious in most situations, though). However, I think sound effects WITHOUT text messages create more immersion.

Opinions?

2008-04-21 01:45:42

Both.

From,
Ryan Smith
Head of RS Games
RS Games Website

2008-04-21 02:52:08

I like the sound ones better I mean its like in the sighted games too you have to learn the same way
plus if you think soundd messages are inconvenient because you have to know them, it's a good challenge in my opinion

Connor

2008-04-21 03:37:46

If this is sort of an action game, where hit points, resistances and the like don't matter,  then just use sounds and perhaps have a "learn game sounds" area if there are any which you think might be difficult. Best for full sound immersion. In an RPG setting, where a hit isn't necessarily a kill and might in fact be a bad thing (counter-attack, reflect/deflect, etc.), then you could go sound with text, or even pure text, depending on the ammount of immersion you want.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2008-04-21 04:59:16

Jayde wrote:

If this is sort of an action game, where hit points, resistances and the like don't matter,  then just use sounds and perhaps have a "learn game sounds" area if there are any which you think might be difficult. Best for full sound immersion.

Its not really an "action game" more like a simplified roguelike (i.e. a turn-based adventure game focused on combat).

In an RPG setting, where a hit isn't necessarily a kill and might in fact be a bad thing (counter-attack, reflect/deflect, etc.), then you could go sound with text, or even pure text, depending on the ammount of immersion you want.

Ok, right I haven't thought of that. Of course, as soon as the events become more complex (like in D&Dish RPG) you can no longer meanigfully express them with sounds alone.

Jungle Adventure is simple enough to get away with it, but I think I will use the sounds + text message combo.

2008-04-21 09:28:41

I'd deffinately agree on sounds pluss text for a game like jungle adventure. Sound has a lot of immertion and atmosphere potential which shouldn't be overlooked, but obviously for a roguelike with complex navigation and mechanics you need text to express many of the concepts, ----- afterall, expressing lines of site in sound could be problematic.

Actually I must admit, reading the tactical maps thread, I thought you were just going for pure text, which as jayde said, for this sort this sort of game would be fine, but if your going for sound as well, ---- great!

Depending upon how far you want to use sound, some possibilities do exist to speed up game play. For example, if your character attempts to walk through a wall having an oof sound, using a click or confirm sound for equipping items once you've selected them in your inventory, and of course a good old fashion dramatic death sound needs no clarrification, ;D.

for many things though, such as the amount of hp you heal, where you move to on a complex interface, and how much damage you do enemies in situations when they aren't instant kill fodder, I'd stil go for sound pluss text.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-04-21 15:55:48

oh yeah I am not saying I wouldn't like a good old combo depending on the situation

Connor

2008-04-21 18:07:36

copx,

Use both.
It gives you the most flexibility.

John Bannick
CTO
7-128 Software