2008-03-24 16:04:36

well, after a recent discussion with the chap who's doing that studdy on second life interfaces, I remembered about this one. looking at their site it seems the game's now 40 dollars, which seems less than I thought, either because it's gone down in price, or my memory is just faulty, afterall it's been about two and a half years sinse I tried the demo, it was the first program I ever used the add/remove programs menue for, ---- yeee gods a lot's changed sinse then!

Anyway, what're people's opinions about the game? yes I've heard about the constantly draining energy, and I admit that sounds a major pain, but what else? What's the audio ambience like?

I remember getting frustrated and rather stuck in the demo sinse some of the nav commands didn't seem to be working as I expected. This is either because I wasn't experienced in audio fps back then, or a problem in the game, ---- how is navigating? does the game have intermissions or a story? is it just a blasting fest?

More info would be appreciated. I'm going to try the demo, but it sounds as if that's slightly limited when compared to the rest of the game.

thanks in advance.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-03-24 18:51:08

Hi.

I think Terraformers is great. I have bought the full version, and the storryline is great. There is a lot to explore on the planet but not much action.
It takes a while to get used to the navigating system, but it's great when you got used to it.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2008-03-24 19:35:29

I've admitted before that Terraformers is the only game I illegally got a licence for, and I won't be doing that again. Here's my take on it:
The game is slow, clunky but very sound-rich, on the whole. The echoes and overall weirdness of some of the sounds provides wonderful ambiance, but the constantly-draining energy and the slow movement, on the whole, make the gameplay slow. I finished the game in one afternoon (though it wasn't easy), and I liked the way it was done (about forty percent of the area is flooded, which I really like for some reason)...but I'd not exactly pay forty dollars for it, myself. If its control scheme were a little better, if its responses were a little faster, I might...but even then, I think it'd have to be quite a bit bigger than it is. There -is shooting involved, but not so much that you have to be an ace and not so much that it takes away from storyline. The energy "problem" isn't too bad, really, since you can use save states and make sure you save just after an energy refill. Then if you get yourself in a bind, and you know you'll die before finding the next station...go back and try again.

All in all, I'd say go for it, be patient...but maybe don't buy the full game, at least not unless you're really in love with the demo this go-round.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2008-03-24 21:00:58

Yeah. You are right. Have you tried playing it with 5.1 surround? It's really awesome. There is great surround sound in the game.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.

2008-03-25 00:20:32

Remember the drain continues while you're listening to the storyline messages on terminals, so don't do what I did and knock a key by mistake because when you go back to listen again from the beginning you'll die without any warning. Also listening to the verbal room descriptions takes valuable time.

Overall I liked the controls, though there was a quite severe bug early on causing it to hang on many machines. This was an issue in the Macromedia Director system they used not the game and I believe is now fixed. I feel though this type of control system would be a lot more fitting, and probably more interesting, for an adventure game rather than what it is - a combined shooter and puzzle game. You really don't want to be rushing with that control scheme, and it has a lot of potential for atmosphere.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-03-25 00:51:16

Well this is odd indeed. i finished the tutorial course and got the bit of story about taking the spaceship to Telos 2, and then appeared to be in what I assume was the game, I thought the demo should've ended at the end of the tutorial? it must be a rather large demo, sinse I managed to get myself lost and die of energy depletion, ---- though mostly because I spent too much time playing around with three tone wheels.

so first question is, how long is the demo? before I got entirely stuck in the code lock room, ---- I suspect from trying to get through a door I'd already been through sinse the gps objects list makes no distinction betwene different doors.

My second question is how do you save a game? there was nothing about it in the manual or keystroeks list, but I assume there's a way to do it.

thus far the game seems much more puzle/exploration than shooter, though I'm sure if I'd played for longer I'd have encountered these robots of doom mentioned in the communications message.

I love the examine area key, a very nice atmospheric touch, and the interface is good, ----- probably the first successful example I've seen of an audio game in 3D which can give multiple coherent signals at once for the same object, and certainly a very nice nav system, ----- though the lack of an ability to side step is really quite annoying when aligning yourself to objects that your already facing, but are a litle to one side of you.

If someone can inform me reguarding the saving, I'll try things again and probably will end up buying this game. If I've inadvertantly got it already, I'll inform the devs and send them some cash sinse there are no messages about the game being freeware, and with their recent affiliation with 7-128 I'd hope pin interactive are stil active even if they've not exactly been pumping out the games recently.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-03-25 01:40:42

Hi,

Ware do you get it?

I will play the demo, but I need the darn game, can someone post a link?

Thanks!

i used to take things in life for granted...
now i have a beautiful daughter, and she means the world to me.
(at 19, i can say this is harder than it sounds)

2008-03-25 10:41:03 (edited by dark empathy 2008-03-25 10:41:42)

http://www.pininteractive.com/ is the link you want. Hope you like the game as much as I did, even if I'm slightly confused at the moment.

2008-03-26 10:20:07

Hi Dark.

The demo version IS LARGE indeed. It ends when you have played the half part of the first world on the planet. I think you can save the game by pressing s. I don't remember. It's more than two years since I have played the game.

Best regards SLJ.

2008-03-26 12:21:19

Ah, well I'm glad I haven't accidentally hacked the game. I certainly hope your right about the saving, there's nothing about it in the keystrokes list, but myabe they offer more full docks with the full version which explain saving and such. I'm on my laptop now, but when I get back to my desktop I'll give it another go.

2008-03-27 15:21:13

Heh, and don't I feel like a monkey's uncle.
I wanted to go and try the game again, but forgot that since I last played it, I have formatted my machine, which means my access code is gone. Bye-bye unauthorized access.
Oh well. The demos got me re-interested.

2008-03-27 17:24:38

Well jayde, I was impressed thus far, ---- particularly by the ambience, location descriptions and nav system, though I'll probably see if I can completely finish the demo before i actually shell out cash for the full version, ---- and for that I'll likely need the ability to save, owing to me forgetting about energy levels.

At risk of increasing your relation to a simian nephew jayde, i could suggest that this is a bit of poetic justice on you.

2008-03-27 17:49:19

Hi,

I got a problem,
When I make it to the terraforming place, I go through a tunnel, than a couple more rooms, but, I find a communacating device, but, when I try to use it, It just fires a bazooca.
How do you move on?
If someone could help!
Thanks!

i used to take things in life for granted...
now i have a beautiful daughter, and she means the world to me.
(at 19, i can say this is harder than it sounds)

2008-03-27 18:31:49

Put the bazooker in your backpack with the delete key, then press the space bar when your close up to the communications device to interact with it.

2008-03-27 23:00:59

Heh. Oh well.

2008-03-29 14:02:39

One thing I do wonder about jayde though, is can terraformers be registered on two computers? Not that I wont' bother buying the game if it can't be, but it would be nice to have it playable while on the move.

I'd guess because it's done by a zip file which you just extract to the archive of the downloaded gamee there's no problem with registering it on another machine, but I'm not sure.

I hope to be able to spend some more quality time with the terraformers demo either tonight or certainly tomorrow, assuming that my work, Startrek, Doctor who, writing for this site or various others or any of the other bezillion things that keep cropping up don't crop up!

2008-03-29 18:08:26

I could be wrong on this, but I believe that as long as you have a valid unlock code, you can probably use it anywhere. I don't remember where I got mine, but it was from someone else who had the same code (so two people, at least, used the same code on two machines in two different places without a problem).

2008-03-30 00:28:04 (edited by dark empathy 2008-03-31 00:30:25)

As I thought, which is good news. All the more reason for me to sit down and give the demo a good hammering tomorrow when my brain has recovered from today (I'm a litle shattered at the moment).

eddit: well it now is tomorrow, and I obtained the first computer part by the radar tower, thus finishing the demo.

Very nice indeed, and I'll deffinately be opening up my wallet for this one (in fact I might just head over to pin interactive and take care of that now).

My only slight disappointment with the demo is that I never got to take on one of these dreaded robots.

I went in to the warehouse east of the com device to grab a load of sound keys, and found a robot in the room north of that, but had no ammo for my bazooker so bravely ran away (sinse i didn't fancy being robot fodder). I was hoping to find some ammo down the western route, but after I'd done the litle puzle with the tone wheels and got the computer part from the radar station, as I headed north in search of more amo the demo ended, ---- which was slightly annoying sinse I would've liked to do a bit of slaying.

Oh well, as I'm forking out the cash for the game there should be plenty of robot pounding for me in the future.

the only two facts about the game in general that get on my wick are 1: the inability to sidestep (though the game seems quite forgiving in terms of how close you need to get to objects in order to interact with them), and the fact that when you've ggot two or three objects of the same sort on the object list, ---- such as doors or tone wheels, there's no way of knowing which one is which accept by coordinates. It may just be my utterly horrible spacial location abilities and sense of direction, but if I don't check the coordinates everytime I go through the door and then look at the list, I end up going out of the same door I came in by.

Nevertheless, I like the game, --- and I really wish pin interactive could do a terraformers 2 or other game using the same engine, sinse while I certainly will buy it, it sadly doesn't sound like a long game.

2008-04-04 11:31:36 (edited by dark empathy 2008-04-04 12:16:56)

Well, I'm now actually quite a ways through the game, ---- in fact I suspect I'm almost at the end which is a bit sad, ---- I've got five computer parts, and am just going to find the 6th in the room with the laser and two tone wheels.

The one bit that was a real nightmare was the flooded room and the sound keys, ---- not the least because I picked up a hole bunch of extra sound keys in the mining facility and I believe at the other side of the room.

I've really enjoyed the game and the puzles, but as I thought, ---- a bit short, I'll just have to see how tough the ending is to give a view on difficulty.

one thing though, the layout of the base was a bit obvious, ---- i would've liked something a bit more mazy and exploration style. also there seemed to be a lot of redundency in the game, ---- ie, you'd be given the items to complete a puzle, --- the sound keys or amo and weaponry, in the rooms proceeding and following the puzle depending upon which way you went around things. This seemed a bit unneccessary imho.

eddit: Wel that's done, and another robot menace has fallen to the power of the big red button of instant plot solving! the last boss got me on the first two tries, sinse I was trying to defeat it the way I did the robot in the mining area, ---- by walking up to a slot, opening my pack and selecting the right key to go in, ---- but obviously with the final boss being quicker this didn't work sinse it could attack me while I was looking for the right part. So a simple change of stratogy, hold the first part in my hand and run around the room until i find the appropriate slot for it to go in, ---- this took a while, but I actually never got hit once.

Imho the lack of a variable walking speed really made that sort of puzle far too easy, sinse if you kept moving it couldn't get you. I'll probably play through the game again at some point, ---- and I do think what's done was great, wonderful ambience and atmosphere and I love the descriptions, , but I would've liked more, and more difficulty. Methinks I'll send an E-mail to the dev with my thoughts in case he gets around to programming another game.

2008-04-05 01:59:44

can someone please poste a walkthrough here please?
I'm stuck because so menny doors lead to the same please and a few rooms are just clones of the previous room

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2008-04-05 02:27:54

Hmmmm, I might considder writing a walkthrough (or even recording one if I got my stuff fixed), but it'd take me a while, even if imho the game is short.

Please let me know where your stuck though D&D and I'll try to help.

As to layout, the base is layed out like three rings in a line in front of you going north, with you starting at the south end of the south most ring. On the eastern and western sides of each ring is one of the six computer parts, and on the northern and southern sides is a room with a communications device. In each area then, ---- the mining area, the water works and the main lab, when you start off in each area hearing the professor's message, you can choose to go either east or west and pick up one part. You'll then come to the northern end and the second communications room, but will have to continue around the ring either east or west to get the part, ---- assuming you don't backtrack of course.

each room description is slightly different, ----- though some of them doo start off sounding the same which i also found helpful.

also, I found checking coordinates with the v key everytime I went through a door so that I could clearly know where I was and which direction i was heading in, ---- this is particularly necessary when using the Z object scan sinse it doesn't distinguish betwene the door you came in by and any other doors in the room, and the only way I found to avoid getting turned around and going backwards sometimes was by checking the coordinates of the various objects.

hth.