2016-11-15 02:44:32 (edited by zub0 2016-12-15 19:39:16)

here is geas, nad its connect info
geas.de
porta: 3333
hello all, i just encountered this mud,  and i like it. the only issue is thus far, tht they hand you a map, of a city. i can obviously explore and memorize the entire place, no problem. But my question is, has anyone encountered a screen reader friendly map? the only ones i can think of are those online ones from aardwolf. any suggestions would be helpful, as i was just send a greeting by one of the admins and they are willing to do something to make the map more friendly, they just wanted an example of screen reader ready maps. so any suggestions are well appreciated! as for the mud itself, it seems enjoyable, well for me anyway. Rp is enforced, but there is no class nor level system. You have many skills and you don't even have to use them all, but the ones you like, you just use, and with more use, of course, you improve.

Why didn't the Romans find algebra difficult?
because x is always 10!

2016-11-15 03:28:23

well somehow it would have to be converted into a textual summation of where you are. No way we can do ascii maps.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2016-11-15 07:57:04

Sounds like a game where  you just play for the sake of playing. But hey, to each their own. I might have to try it out though

2016-11-15 14:22:22

Ironcross is correct here, there isn't really such a thing as a screen reader friendly map other than the sort of generalized description that games like Aardwolf and Diskworld have (and even in Aardwolf the map is just of the vidplane area).
However there are some very good alternatives to screen reader friendly maps in muds, such as a "nearby" command to tell you what areas are close, a "where" command for shops or a given room, or an "explored" command to tell you what places you've left to explore.

That's what I'd recommend to someone who wants screen reader options to replace an ascii map, Frandum has done that and it rocks.

As to the game itself, what do you do in it? There are various classless, levelless games kicking around, Avalon and Clok for instance, but it depends more upon what the game actually does. Do you get quests? Is there lots of crafting? Are the creatures to fight or missions to do? Do you get points for exploring?

I do always like the idea behind that sort of skills system, but often I've found muds that employ it are heavily rp reliant and heavily based on interaction with other players rather than in game activities.
So what makes this one special?

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-11-15 15:45:34

Hello there!
I've known about Geas for a while now and I can say its one of the best muds out there. Their combat system is amazing..
But regarding your question, go to the ooc area by typing +ooc, I think. Use the ooc bulletin board to ask about it. Both staff and players there
are very friendly and helpfull.

2016-11-15 16:59:34

What is the log in info on this game? I didn't find it.

2016-11-15 17:55:14

Hello folks! Well, we can't forget about the unofocial Squaresoft MUD. The map there is hard, but doable.
Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

2016-11-15 22:05:47

geas.franken.de 3333
Thats the address.

2016-11-17 11:49:58

Hello... Would be nice to get more description tongue

Sincerely yours... Lucy.

2016-11-17 16:06:26

I know a fair bit about the game. Its leveless, classless. The skills are "learn by doing". While rp is enforced, there are quests so things won't
deppend that much on other players.
If anybody wants, add me on skype: Caioneutron

2016-11-17 16:32:26

Thanks! I'm Slink there.

2016-11-18 18:43:56 (edited by Valmorian 2016-11-18 18:51:31)

I've been meaning to post about geas for a while, I haven't gotten around to it. first off rp is enforced, second this means that some or most of the guilds require rp to get in you can do it without rp but that is generally if you can't find a player who can let you in, and that's boring. there skill system works realistically from what I can see if you don't practice a skill say over the period of a month or two maybe three or four then the skill will start to slowly go down skills are in two parts. practical and theoretical over time one will go down, and eventually the other will follow I hear it is easy to get them back up once they start falling and it takes a decent number in that skill  like 13 or so before that can happen the number of skills you can learn and have depends on your int. I think you can have as many as you want but unless you plan on staying around for years, then there isn't much of a point because you'll just be waist time its a great mud and I hope I've explained things if anyone has a question, I'm Valmorian on the mud of course I generally keep the same name on most mudds so people who have questions, can ask them.
o, and quests are like any other game you get them, you do them, you get exp for them you can customize what your questexp and general exp goes into in terms of stats like str con dex... your stats go up by raising skills  that use them
the mud info is geas.de port 3333
maps arn't a problem on there with the exception of one quest quests aren't mandatory of course. you can follow road direction to place ex follow road south to arborea and the cities arn't very confusing with the exception of the dwarven underground

2016-11-18 19:04:41

hmm I might have to check this out.

End racism
End division
Become united

2016-11-19 20:43:35

@Valmorian The mud is rp-enforced so if you do managed to get in a guild without having to do any rp its because someone's doing something wrong.
But you can just be independent, guilds there aren't obrigatory.

2016-11-22 01:56:50

hello all, sorry for have not given much info, though a few have covered the basics. I have been playing for the past few days, and it was asked about, what made this special? In my oppinion, teams are teh best in this mud. I have not experienced partying or team battles as good as i do here. I am an archer, and i actually halp teams by being in one. Something ab out the teams, what i have sought and have not seen in other muds, is that there is actually rows. so you can actually feel as though you are in the back of the team or in the front. You acn move from three rows: the front, middle, or all the way in the back. As for skills, i think here, gaining skill in skills is moderately fast, not too quick, but if you are using them constantly, you don't notice the time.

because x is always 10!

2016-11-22 22:17:29

well of course there not but you can't do much without guilds if you wanted to play a game without a guild unless you just wanted rp, might as well head to a hack and slash.. I never said anything about killing

2016-11-23 22:33:55

I am on here now, My character's name is Dresden.

End racism
End division
Become united

2016-11-24 05:20:13

ah yes, my char's name in geas is Frowen for anyone who has questions in game

because x is always 10!

2016-11-24 06:36:34 (edited by firefly82 2016-11-29 21:01:34)

Interesting concept and system. I like it.

2016-11-24 11:36:50

OK, a little question: I completed 5 or 6 little tasks. When will i level up? Is there anything special i have to do?

2016-11-24 15:12:39

@firefly geas is a leveless and classless game, man. You improve your skills by practicing them.. Quests mostly help you to earn good and itens.

2016-11-24 15:28:24

Yeah, but i am talking about my stats.

2016-11-24 21:46:34

for leveling, there is none. but for your stats, quests will give you experience and it will go towards your stats. if you type stats, it will give you at the bottom, teh percentage at which each stat will receive when getting experience. for example, i had my strength at 14, so when i got experience, 14% went to strength. this can be changed of course. and for your stats, it has words to measure them, for example, for me it says, i am halfway to slow agility.

because x is always 10!

2016-11-24 21:48:51

hope this helped, and as for skills, you just use them, and you will get better at them. the only issue i have had thus far, is finding quests. most muds had dozens, but here they are scatterred and for higher skilled ones.

because x is always 10!

2016-11-24 22:50:35

I am realy not sure!
I played a lot today. Completed more than 5 tasks and raised a lot of skills. But nothing happened to my stats. For int and wis it tells me that i am near to the next step. But nothing at all is happening