2016-10-09 09:05:42

Hi Kevin,
i am living in germany and I have here the standard windows voice ( english), that reads me a mix of german and english words. And I have difficultis to understand this mix.
For example:
Main Menu, press n for neues Spiel.

I can't play the story with this strange bug.
Maybe you can translate fully the text in german and give control about the voice, which read it or you can give us control about how the text will display, in a english or german version. But the control about the voice is very important. Unity  is based on c++, when i am not totaly wrong.
You can maybe use other speechengines.

It would be great when you can fix it. For me, it is ok, when the actors speaks english and the text is german. But not please in the textoutput ein mix of english and german with an english sapi...
:-)

the best
Christopher

p.s.
When you needs code help, or maybe actors, it exsist many very good actors with good microphones. Also in the german community...

sorry for my english, I hope you have understood me.

2016-10-09 09:10:27

hi Christopher,

try pressing ALT and V at the same time, two times.
i thought I had programmed it so that it automatically changed the game language to english, but apparently that didn't work.
if that doesn't work try

1. press alt and V (if you hear the menu voice afterwards, try again)
2. press L
3. press E
4. press alt and V

I'm undecided wether or not to add the german sapi version at this point since you have to understand english anyways and it's a lot of additional work. but i'll think about it.

2016-10-09 12:53:18

Hi Kevin,
thanks for all these explanations. Knowing the inspiration behind the accessibility efforts is really interesting and pretty unique and admirable, to tell the truth. There have been countless occasions in history as well as at present where a blind individual or accessibility advocate tried to contact a large mainstream dev trying to ask them to add at least marginal accessibility to their best selling titles, and in many cases these were even very realistic, well founded and technically achievable changes that wouldn't require that much extra work for a big, well established company, yet no big studio has responded to these inquiries positively yet as far as I'm aware of. On the other hand, there have been quite a couple of indie devs who were just as fantastic as you are in this regard, or even developed their games with blind accessibility in mind since the very beginning and it worked perfectly. So that really leaves a lot of bitterness and sadness to feel towards the big budget companies and a lot of respect and admiration for the indies. And, if you sum it up, to hear that your inspiration was in fact a mention in a documentary that interactive fiction used to be very popular among blind people, which led you to the idea of trying it to get distracted from the endless stress of the campaign, and the result, the very first prototype and your very first attempt at implementing accessibility support if I understand it correctly, being this brilliant, that's just amazing! :-)

I do understand the stress around the campaign. I'll certainly be tweeting about it both in Czech which is my native language and in English a lot. That's about the most I can do at the moment, I'm afraid, but I won't give up. :-) This just mustn't be done on a smaller scale, that would be an eternal pity. :-) I'm crossing my fingers for you!

When you do have the time, perhaps after the campaign is over, I think it would really be a good idea to check out some of the more advanced audiogames such as Shades of Doom, GMA Tank Commander, Swamp, Entombed, Manamon, Psycho Strike or The Gate and others. Everyone would recommend you different titles based on their personal preferences but there is certainly quite a lot to choose from in each major genre by now, and the ways these games implement certain navigational or spatial challenges is really innovative and interesting, to say the least.

The problem with Sapi voices is that there are quite a lot for every major language, including mine. In fact, I prefer to use a Czech voice for all my work, including even programs that are written in English. :-) Everyone is just used to a different voice, and being forced to use a voice that you don't understand well, don't like, or that just lags like hell on your system, can be a major annoyance to some. I mean, I completed the demo even with Microsoft Zira, so clearly that's not the case with me, but being able to choose whichever of the available voices that you desire is pretty much a standard feature in mostly any other audiogame or even a general purpose program with Sapi support that I've seen so far, so I really hope you will be able to do something about this when time permits.

Keep up the great work! I'll be spreading the word about the game everywhere. I can see it already.
*Stops a random passerby on the street*
Hey, have you heard about this cool adventure called Code 7? Two awesome guys from Germany are developing it and it's pretty cool. And you know what, it even has Sapi support so that you can play it all fine even when you are blind. Go back it on Kickstarter. Thanks. What do you say? You have no idea what I'm talking about? You don't care for stupid computer games atall? Well, doesn't matter, just support this campaign, I say, or else! :-D :-D :-D

Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2016-10-09 15:48:44

hi kevin, anyway could you also make the german version playable too?
I know a bit about the language, I'm interested to play in german too.

going in to the wilds, collecting pokedex, and capturing them are my kind of thing,
training them, making them evolve, and generally making them stronger is my ultimate goal,
fighting other manamon tamers, winning the tournament, and fighting octoros are what these manamons like to do,
and ultimately, I become the master of mana!

2016-10-09 16:30:02

@ hanif
the german version would be half-german half-english, because we don't have german voice actors and i'm not going to put a lot of work into a translation that's only a half translation where you'd still need to understand english.

as i said before.. if we reach 40000€ on Kickstarter we'd be able to afford german voice actors but that is probably not going to happen since we're struggling to make our initial goal of 15000€ for the english voice actors happen. it looks like the initial goal might be happening, but it's still a long way to go. so a german voiced version is even further away.

@ lukas
well.. you don't need to be that drastic with your marketing but it would certainly be a nice story
also thank you for the recommendations. i'll try to find the time for them
and the voice changer is on my list. i'll look into it.

2016-10-09 17:23:08

you mentioned wanting to spread this further among the community. If you do plan to make this accessible on the Mack at some point, and needed the kickstarter to get you to a point where you could, you may be able to post it to applevis.com, though they may shut you down as it is not specifically  mack related yet. Still, a lot of people go their and it may be worth a shot. At worst the post will get pulled and you'll be back where you started, but at best...

2016-10-09 17:55:26

@Kevin, do you think, (probably after campaign) will be possible to add other translations? I know it's hard to find voice actors but I believe I can translate it in to polish language and find a group of good actors to record it. It's ofcourse a side question and the most interesting is to get this project funded but I just wanted to know.  smile

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2016-10-09 18:04:29

@ musicfairy
thank you for the tip. i'm currently looking for ways to get the mac voice working anyways so i'll try to get it on the page once the mac version is working

@ Lirin
the full game is going to be a lot longer, more than 8 hours, and professional voice acting isn't cheap.
we have been doing business research for quite some time now and have calculated a full professional translation and voice-over to cost around 20.000€ for each language.

2016-10-09 18:25:52

Hi Kevin,
how do I pressurize the room?
I found the door but in order to open it I have to pressurize the room but I don't know how to do that.
it says not equal and I have to set the pressure modifier manually but I don't know What number I should set it to.
could I either try a positive or a negative number?

2016-10-09 18:27:34

hey nick,
in the pressure modifier you can insert iputs like 10 or -10 or any other number.
then it will pressurize the room and at the end tell you what the new pressure levels are

2016-10-09 19:48:49 (edited by Lirin 2016-10-09 19:50:31)

@ Kevin

Yeah, I can imagine that but I have good friends of mine and for sure translation and recording sessions is something we can do. How many actors are needed exactly?
BTW, I don't want to get a cash or something for that. I just want to do something for gamers and for fun.
Actually I'm preparing for my kickstarter for a game in style of the projects from Telltale games but everything in audio, with 3d (binaural) audio and I must say your project is really huge inspiration for me. Ofcourse it will be totally another kind of game, most of the script is done and it will be more like games where you are moving around, interact with objects and make decisions (It will be timed as in Telltale games).
But yeah, back to main topic, if you can let me know how the scrip big is, how many chars are there cause don't know if I have people enough to do this (if you will be interested ofcourse)

All the best,
L

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2016-10-09 23:12:32

Hi Kevin.
Thanks so much for making this game accessible to blind people. This is a fantastic game, and I'll donate to the Kickstarter project for sure.
I'm sure I've missed some of the basics. I'm not sure on how to choose what username to enter when logging in. Pressing the numbers to choose the username does nothing, and typing in the first letter does nothing as well. I'm not able to remember all those characters when said by a sapi voice. I'm sure I'm missing something very basic though. I downloaded the game like one hour ago so I have the current latest version.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2016-10-09 23:33:51

@ SLJ
sorry you didn't miss anything. you have to type it out for now.
i'll probably add the ability to choose the passwords with the number keys, but i haven't done so yet because the game works well because typing stuff like that feels like you are actually hacking. we'll see.

@ Lirin
alright, we can talk about it in a private message. i was thinking about adding the ability to add steam workshop translations that anybody can do, but that's a lot of work and i'm not sure if many people would use it.

2016-10-09 23:48:08

hey Kevin,
if I pressurize the room by typing in a negative number like minus 10 does the pressure decrease?

2016-10-09 23:57:31

hi nick,
yes. try it and it should tell you the new values afterwards

2016-10-10 03:20:28

Hi Kevin,
does the game lag Whenever I try to progress further in the game?
I don't know Why the game is a little lagging but does the game have any bugs or what?
I've noticed that after I tried pressurizing the room trying to unlock the door I exited the game, went into task manager, went over to the processes tab and then I looked at csrss.exe it decreases CPU time especially When I've gotten this far in the game.
I'm running the game on windows 7 and I'm using a 64bit laptop.
I did download the visually impaired mode but not the windows default version.

2016-10-10 04:13:31

Hi, does the pressure monitor only accepts between -10 to 10? I tried inputting numbers but did not get it to equal level to unlock the door.

2016-10-10 05:27:02

Listen to when you first open the control panel for the room control, it will tell you the pressure of both rooms. fiddle with the numbers, i think, though I could be wrong, that what you take from one goes to the other, but I'm not sure, this bit was slightly confusing, I mainly did it by trial by fire, adding and subtracting until i got it. Hope this is helpful.

2016-10-10 06:01:15

Hi. When I try to enter the user name in the lab it says blutz not found. and when I try the other passwords and type changeme it says =wrong code. Any ideas as to why this is happening?

fantasy world creationist

2016-10-10 06:13:42 (edited by stewie 2016-10-10 06:14:03)

that's d, not b. If you read the emails it says his name is Dominic at some point.

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2016-10-10 08:19:08

Hi Kevin.
Thanks for your answer regarding the usernames and passwords. I have one suggestion, which I don't remember which has been suggested before Add a way to spell out the usernames and passwords. Making a feature where the passwords is just being copied to the clipboard or you can choose it from the menu would make things too easy, when you wanna give the feeling that you're hacking by typing in the usernames and passwords. smile People who can read the text on the screen would also read the usernames and passwords character by character, so therefore my suggestion. Yes, there are some sapi voices where it's difficult to hear the characters, but you can't do anything about that, I think, since this would either make the game too easy, or be very challenging, when you can't output the text to a screenreader.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2016-10-10 08:25:28

Hi SLJ,
but that's exactly what it already does. Maybe you have an old version?
I already programmed it so that for passwords and usernames the output to sapi has a space between all letters.
I haven't copied it to the clipboard yet, but if I start there then I'd need to start putting a lot of stuff into it.
So I don't know what the solution to this problem is yet.
Maybe just the ability to switch voices will be enough.
Thank you for your feedback.

2016-10-10 10:58:27

I agree, I also like the hacking like feel that it gives when you have to type the usernames and passwords character by character. I probably have the old version myself, too, as it does read the usernames as a single word to me. Does the same link still work but being updated with the new version?

Thanks,
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2016-10-10 11:08:53

the new version is on itch.io

https://goodwolfstudio.itch.io/code-7

2016-10-10 13:15:39

Thanks, Kevin, I'll download it.

By the way, a question for anyone:
Slight
spoilers
ahead:
What's the other mentioned way to get rid of the robot at the elevator door? I was only able to figure out the first, and probably most obvious one, override the robot and deactivate it. Even if I get access to the robot, no other commands become available for it, it won't still let me use the elevator even when overridden, and if I try to access room control, it says that it doesn't respond and I need to restart, but the system.restart command is no longer available. I have completed the game so I don't really need this, but I would just like to discover this other way out of curiosity and also to know that I have explored every single possibility this game offers. :-)

Thanks,
Lukas