2016-04-19 17:13:29

Luckily for you I don't plan  to play again for at least several months because I totally burned myself out that week making that awesome plot. So you will have a chance to win whenever Aprone restarts the server.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2016-04-19 19:37:40

even though its fun as hell, it does take up a lot of time, I spent hours upon hours on the game getting use to everything and grinding.....well whenever you are back on the servers i'll wave to you from the throne haha

can i get a peace double harmony burger? no chaos

2016-04-20 13:56:29

Hi.
I have given the game some thoughts. I really like the game and find it extremely addicting. But, the online mode is not for me. Why? Because I don't have the time to sit there playing all day and night. At the busy weeks, I only have a few hours to play the game, and when I don't have much to do, I have much more time. So why drop the online part of the game? Well, no matter how much time I have to play the game, I'll feel that my work will be a total waist of time, because the game is just being reset at the end of the week.
I know this is the whole idea about the game, and this is perfect for those who can sit there playing all day and night to reach the highscore. But, I don't care much about the highscore, mainly because I'll never get enough time to reach the top 10.
As I said, i really like the game, and I wish there was an other way of giving people a chance to come on the highscore than resetting the game each week. Maybe something like an earth quake which will destroy random things instead of having it all reset each week. I'm sorry to say this, but this is how I feel.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2016-04-20 19:30:28

slj does have a point, aprone we all do love the game, but we can all agree it is very time consuming, to reach within the top ten score wise......I don't even have any suggestions on how to cut down time, but that 78k that I got I put in so much hours into getting that score like a part time job lol.....I definitely can't do that every week, but I still want to be able to stay competitive by putting in 3hrs a day in the game.....again i'm not even sure how to make this possible but that is a problem a lot of CA2 players are going through

2016-04-20 22:00:57

It would be great if there were two modes. One when people get reset every week and one where they just play along and tryand build their world as needed. I don't like the idea of all my work being reset when I can only build so long and so much in one week. Maybe have a goal selection. A time slot like I want to see how far and what I can do in three months, something like that. I can't spend hours on it either and so if I get so far and am looking forward to continuing, then it is all gone, that is discouraging. So I have been playing offline but miss other players. So, I have no answer but this is one kick-*ss game!
A

2016-04-23 19:29:27

I am in agreement with most of what people have been saying lately.  Castaways 2, "in practice", has turned out a bit different than it worked "on paper".  To anyone unfamiliar with what I mean by that, it means that when I planned out the game I predicted how I thought the game would feel and work out.  Now that it is built and we can all actually sit down and play it, I see that my predictions were not correct.

I believe the biggest complaint people have made (on forum, in game, and privately) is that the reset makes people feel like they have wasted their time.  I didn't predict it would feel quite this way, but it appears it does.  That is not good.  tongue

I have spent the better part of a week now, sketching and planning out different approaches to the game in an effort to fix this.  Some of the plans even required a complete redesigning of how the game functions, almost turning it into a completely different game!  While these drastic ideas would have required probably months worth of additional work, I am desperate to salvage the months that have already gone into the game.  It does little good to release a game that most people won't want to play (for long).  I wish I had better news, but so far each and every one of those "plans" boiled down to the same problems that caused me to choose the game's current design.

If we could ask the fault cube for the perfect solution, I believe what we all want is for the game to continue on endlessly, without everyone getting bored because they have everything.  We would also want new/casual players not to be crushed under the toes of the players who might have a 6 month head start on new lands, resources, and army size.  These are major major hurdles, and even the mainstream world avoids endless strategy games for these reasons.

I am open to ideas!  I've racked my brain and am coming up short, but do keep in mind that often times people throw out "perfect solutions" that absolutely would not work, so we should keep in mind that an idea might sound good, but technical reasons could be what makes it unusable.  As long as we can all have a civil discussion, I welcome everyone's concerns and ideas for fixing the game.  We might even start with someone adding to my "dream list", or making a new list that is easier to achieve but also fixes the game for the players.

Because I find myself stuck at the moment, the last public beta server has been put back online.  I have moved it to a separate machine so I'm not stuck hosting it on my laptop.  Unless some reason pops up for me to take it offline, I believe I will keep the server running from week to week.  Players are welcome to play on there while ideas are hashed out here.  I'll continue to work on the game with my smaller testing team, and if we're lucky, a better game will come out of this.

Added: Keep in mind that the server runs from Sunday morning to Sunday morning, so anyone jumping on now (saturday) will be reset at midnight.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2016-04-23 23:22:23

The big problem is indeed that players feel as though their time has been wasted. I think that you could keep the game mechanics as they are but, as imagingstuff said, make a separate server that persisted at least until you manually reset it. This server would probably be a bit more rewarding for long-term play. Instead of having a score system, you could implement other ways to compete with others such as leaderboards showing players with the top amounts of valuable resources. Mining, and thus settling new plots, would become less of an emphasis because you would not have to worry about bringing in coins to turn into points, though coins could be used to buy things from other players with on the online market. To prevent new players from being destroyed by seasoned players, create a formula for determining player power, factoring in things such as the number of defenses they have deployed. Walls would, of course, be counted for less because they do not outright destroy the aggressors but just turn them away. Before we can talk about revamping combat we have to keep powerful players from crushing the tomato cans before they can even get started so this is a vital first step.

The fact that, once deployed, army camps cannot be removed by opponents is really strong and gives the defender an overwhelming advantage. In fact the advantage is overwhelmingly with the defense right now since you can really only initiate a single attack per barracks, and attacks are handled independently of each other. And as you build more defenses your land becomes completely impregnible. That is exactly why I loaded up my primary plot with 30 walls and moved all my valuable resources over there, and no one managed to steal anything of consequence because of that. You might consider introducing something similar to the raid group menu in castaways 1 where you can select some number of combat units to attack an enemy base all at once. Defenders can be killed in these raids as well. The workshop can build catapults to destroy walls. This is actually important for both the endless version of the game and the weekly reset version of the game.

For the endless version, create achievements for players to work up to that will take them a long while. RPG-like levels and skill points may also work but of course you then need to add more activities to do. Something like activity branches so that players could specialize deeply into a single activity. For example, right now fishing consists of building a fishpole and net, building an optional boat if you want more, catching the fish and cooking them, then you have cooked fish. Or you can wait for olive oil and fry the fish in olive oil for extra food. You could expand this tree from its current 3 or 4 stages to 7 or 8 stages so that a player could create really specialized fish dishes. Ingredients would be player chosen, contributing a certain amount of food per ingredient. You could even introduce a poisoning system this way. This would also allow players to sort of personalize what food they made. Same goes for things such as catching horses, if you decide to add barding, saddlemaking, etc. It's all aobut players lending their personalities to their projects like minecraftish kind of thing.

But I definitely think that making ways to destroy enemy defenses is top priority, otherwise sending raids or saboteurs is completely pointless because everyone will just build up their defenses and never worry.

This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!

2016-04-24 02:38:25

key has some good suggestions, only thing I would really add is, any path you choose to take in the game will give you the same amount of points. for example, selling gold gives you 5k, making desserts for the kingdom 5k, building a city 5k, catching horses for a big race 5k, deploying knights to battle rival cities 5k. the theme here is that players get tired of doing the same thing over and over to reach top status, but if we are choosing our own path and still recieveing the same amount of points it brings depth and variety to the game which means no player would really be doing the same thing to reach top 10, so players could switch it up from time to time and never get bored with the game while remaining competitive.

as we all know a main issue is players still feeling like they have a fair chance at top 10 even though they might not invest the same amount of time in the game as bob. I think you can do a system similar to what you have now just tweek it a bit. like if bob is in first place, and he chooses to sell gold back to the kingdom, instead of him getting 5k points he gets 2k points, to where as the players beneath him still gets the 5k if they sell the goal back, once those bottom players rise in the standings, then when they sell gold back, it will no longer be worth 5k. I think this system gives bottom players a fiar chance to stay within the loop, so basically the higher you are the harder it will be for you to get points which allows bottom players to catch up without investing hours into the game. or you can do a system where players can steal points from other players which should also give bottom players a fair chance. for example bob gives a fried snapper to the king for a feast, now a challenge pops up to where if zack can bring a better fish dish to the king, he would steal those points that bob earned. now bob can choose to make an even better fish dinner to steal his points back, or just move on to another task which would end that little battle. I think something like either one of these systems will always keep players at an even playing field.

2016-04-24 02:42:50

one more thing, glad the game is back, I was actually kind of missing it, checking the forum daily for updates on it

2016-04-24 04:43:44

I agree with what's been said in the last few posts. I simply don't have the time to invest in online play as it is now, and I too felt that all my hard work would have been for nothing, thus why I stopped playing in the middle of the week and didn't get very far during the last public beta.

Personally, this game always had a much stronger appeal as an offline game for me. it appears that i'm in the minority with this view, but I would really love to see the offline version get expanded before the online one. It just seems more fun to play this particular style of game completely alone, since that is basically how you start out with your civilization. however, as I said, I understand that the online version is going to take precedence, just because so many people do love the competitive nature of it. I'll definitely keep my eye on this topic and see what changes have been implemented in both modes, but for now, I'm content to wait for something cool to happen with the offline version.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2016-04-24 07:04:10

People, I have a suggestion.
What do You say to harvest also some exotical crops or fruits?
For example ryce and cinamon?

Ja volim samo kafu sa Rakijom.

2016-04-24 11:53:42 (edited by Phil 2016-04-24 11:55:32)

Aprone,
How about after a week you die and all your resources are split up equally, willed to your four designated children.
Or part given to a charity. You would control these new characters but they would have to be located in four different parts of the land.

2016-04-24 17:27:55

I enjoy playing this alone as well. It is tons of fun! Maybe put different account roles, like when we sign up for online we can be weekly aggressive, or nonweekly and peaceful. or even nonweekly moderate warlike, etc. Have different areas of the grid for different type players. I don't know. It is a fabulous game! I have not worked out how to add patches, but I do like to turn this game on and play it offline in my spare time. If there was only an IOS version!

Thank you for all your hard work!
You have the best games!!
IS

2016-04-24 22:57:01

it writes me: wrong protocol or procedure call.

2016-04-25 03:35:30

Hello Aprone.
I'm with turtlepower and imaginingstuff I like the offline mode. Playing alone helps me concentrate. That's not to say I don't like the online play because I do I'm just more into playing alone right now.
I don't have any suggestions on how to fix the game I'm content with how it is right now. Whatever happens qough I'll still play castaways 2 all the time lol!

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2016-04-25 07:04:48

I like offline mode, wish sure, offline mode is added new abilitys.

2016-04-25 16:16:18

I've been wondering if it's possible to hasten up the single player game. That would be a good option, since the progress seems to be rather slow here.

Languages don't influence the way we think, but they still have a world and worth in themselves. Celebrate your mother tongue, the world is a diverse place.

2016-04-25 16:34:33

Progress (timing) on single player is definitely slow, but that's mainly because it's using the timing meant for multiplayer.  When I start working on single player, I'll try to adjust everything to fit.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2016-04-26 10:42:09

hello survivers

aprone I think I might be experiencing a bug. no matter what I click on in the mine like dirt, stones, tunnel, ores, it doesn't matter it gives me no jobs. it keeps saying none. so right now the mine is useless

also while in the spacebar info screen, when I type cit for how to build a city nothing comes up

2016-04-26 13:13:26

Well you can't build a city till Friday so that's not really an issue, the mine thing is strange though.

2016-04-26 16:27:39

Smoothgunner, for the mine, are the tiles you're looking at connected to either the mine exit or a tunnel?

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2016-04-26 18:58:21

Hi.
I have a suggestion, but I'm not sure if this is possible because of how the game works:
What about skipping the PVP in the game so players can't attack each other, but instead have to hunt some enemies which will attack the players if they aren't kept away? Resources which is needed to progress could be found out in the wilderness. It might just be me, but I really don't care who's the best player. I just wanna play and have fun, and don't like to be nearly destroyed by other players, but enemies which all the players can work together to hold back, so we defend each other.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2016-04-26 21:31:07

ok aprone so I just checked again, no matter what tile I am on in the mine, it will say "jobs none" I arrow up and down and it still says none. this did not happen to me at all last week. and I even checked every single tile in the mine lol unknown squares, ores, dirt, and tunnels same message

2016-04-26 21:34:06

I think that is a good suggestion by slj, I don't think we should take out the pvp though, but I do like the idea of us fighting together to fight off gobblins on each other plots and other players.

and speaking of the gobblins I think they should have some type of power to steal our coins, food, and destroy our buildings so we would be forced to fight them away, because truthfully I don't even worry about them since they just take up spaces on my plot I have yet to kill a single one lol

2016-04-26 22:15:29

strange question, but when you're not getting any jobs in the mine, do you have lumber? shovels etc? if not it won't let you do anything. could be your problem.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.