2015-08-21 06:02:41

Hello,
patreon
is a platform that allows people to pay each month for someone to produce content. Here is an example:

For the game developer:
You put up on Patreon that you would like to create an audiogame about evil frogs taking over the world. You post a link to different places and then people fund you different amounts. Each month you get what ever everyone said they would give to you to produce content.

As a gamer:
You see a cool project on Patreon and you would like to support it. You donate $1 a month to the developer and the developer delivers content.

The great thing about this platform is that one is not selling their game, so you can use something like QT, FMod and any library that has an LGPL license.

You aren't getting a lot of money up-front, but you are getting a pretty steady paycheck each month if you have people who like what you are doing.

With people here not having very much money, I think they may be able to donate around $2 a month to a game they really like.
That could be something like $40 a month for a smaller game. It is not a lot, but it is something!

2015-08-21 06:51:11 (edited by CAE_Jones 2015-08-21 06:52:35)

This works well for people who are already consistently producing high quality content at a rapid pace. So it would be great for Aprone, and had Patreon been a thing in 2011, we probably would have demanded he open one so we could throw more money at him.

It might be good for, say, VGStorm, so we can still get cool stuff like AAC/Palidin/Psycho Strike, without so much drama over purchases.

It won't solve my problem (apparently being the host of the Demon Lord of Sloth and Frailty); every successful Patreon I've come across is someone showing that they can be reliable first, then starting the Patreon after months of people telling them they'd contribute to it.

So, if you can pull an Aprone and release decent-but-cheap games multiple times a year, open a Patreon in your second year.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2015-08-25 00:23:44

Hi.
Interesting aprone and others should do this. I guarantee I would donate every month.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order