2015-06-17 08:44:50

Ah, well part of the idea was to lower the maximum volume based on object clustering combined with proximity, but if its more a question of having too much in one place, hm. Well, you could try using level design to mitigate such situations, or you could try using intermitent pulses to help further differentiate objects/hazards. For example instead of a constant harsh tone for spikes, it could be a "blinking" tone with a pulse or series of pulses every second, which you could do by having the spike blocks periodically flash.

The lastest clip does seem smoother, but i'm not sure if I can make out where the enemies are before their killed. I noticed before that your enemies have death sounds, but don't seem to have sounds for when their moving, that might help.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2015-06-25 04:55:20

Still clueless what's going on with the panning. Ugh. But I'm thinking the current formula is wrong (no wonder why the initial tests with the smaller viewport seemed to be easier to tell). Also starting to think I'll just have to come up with yet another new camera system just for this.

I thought about pulses for hazards (really would be the audio equivalent of blinking), but I'm afraid that'll probably bring up even more attention to them and not less. I guess I need to test to make sure.

Enemies are rendered through the sonar, but again it seems the volume balance is just unusable. In fact it seems that in the last versions the sonar has been completely useless (you can't tell easily the parts of the level, you can't tell easily where are the enemies... um yeah, may as well not use the current sonar).

2015-06-25 09:02:02

Been busy working on a new prototype, I've moved the other's into a new bitbucket respository: (https://bitbucket.org/magurp244/audio-code/downloads)

I've uploaded a new version of my side scroller with stereo proximity volume effects for terrain objects, in this case water to the left and right. Fixed a few bugs with the audio renderer, and found a few more, heh. In this case it seems to be having a pitch issue on varying draw speeds, though i've capped it at usable levels.

I've also uploaded my second prototype that got arbitrarily flagged earlier for anyone that wants to give it a spin, a 3D FPS. I don't have much experience in 3D, but I managed to modify an open sourced Minecraft Clone to render a simulated Depthmap and embedded my audio-renderer. Have a few idea's on how I can refine it, but again not much experience with 3D.

2015-06-27 19:40:41 (edited by Sik 2015-06-27 19:41:10)

Two more attempts, and I verified that these two do have panning... although I guess the overload still makes it useless:
http://sik.titandemo.de/.junk/audio1.ogg
http://sik.titandemo.de/.junk/audio2.ogg

Second attempt was me trying to see if it's better rendering the floor as a series of "points" rather than a continuous line.

2015-06-28 09:44:04 (edited by magurp244 2015-06-28 09:54:19)

Hmm, the difference in stereo is negligable, its hard to tell where anything is spacially. I'm going to assume that stomping sound is an enemy? The volume and stereo position of the stomping sound doesn't seem to change at all, so its difficult to tell what the proximity is to the player.

What recording software are you using? Looking at them in Audacity it looks like the two channels are vitually identical.

2015-06-28 18:12:01

magurp244 wrote:

Hmm, the difference in stereo is negligable, its hard to tell where anything is spacially.

I have been considering last night to change it again so only the corners of the level are marked (reducing sound overload a lot), but honestly at this point I'm getting convinced that the idea itself simply doesn't work at all.

magurp244 wrote:

The volume and stereo position of the stomping sound doesn't seem to change at all, so its difficult to tell what the proximity is to the player.

Yeah, I need to update that =/

magurp244 wrote:

What recording software are you using?

Raw log straight off the game's sound engine.

magurp244 wrote:

Looking at them in Audacity it looks like the two channels are vitually identical.

I thought so at first too, but playing it shows that the L and R volume bars are completely different (so there's obviously a difference).

2015-06-29 09:36:00

Thats... Strange. Do you mean the volume bars are different playing the recorded raw output or playing in the sound engine itself?

I've been running a few tests in my side scroller trying to replicate it. I ended up stripping out all the tiles except two and messing with the sound positioning for awhile before I got a clear stereo panning effect in the output, still a little twacked on positioning though. I've uploaded the recording to my repository if you want to listen to it, walking between two points.

Wierd though, if there's a slope to your right and a flat surface to the left, or moving between two points there should be some kind of stereo effect in the recording. Maybe you could try recording the output through another program like Audacity instead to see if theres an issue with how its being logged, though you'll have to change audacity's Preferences: Recording Device from Mono-Mix to Stereo-Mix.

2015-06-29 10:29:38 (edited by x0 2015-06-29 10:30:30)

I have a random question, not really related to images but related to audio and waveform systems. Is it possible to make a voice, like a synthesized voice, or convert a voice sample, into analog sound? With variable width pulse, sine, sawtooth, etc? I'm wondering if this is possible because hey! That would be a whole new way of synthesizing! I've seen people do it only with sine waves, but that, sounds, like, absolute, crap!

----------
An anomaly in the matrix. An error in existence. A being who cannot get inside the goddamn box! A.K.A. Me.

2015-06-29 21:07:16 (edited by Sik 2015-06-29 21:11:51)

magurp244 wrote:

Thats... Strange. Do you mean the volume bars are different playing the recorded raw output or playing in the sound engine itself?

In Audacity.

Note that the UV meters showing different values doesn't mean much, the overload probably kills any possible perception the brain could try to figure out. I mean, when you play the same sound over both speakers the brain interpretes it as being in the center, not as being two separate sounds...

magurp244 wrote:

Wierd though, if there's a slope to your right and a flat surface to the left, or moving between two points there should be some kind of stereo effect in the recording.

I think there's still such a massive sound overload that it basically nullifies any stereo effect you could hear. Also for some reason it seems slopes are less notorious than it used to be in the early tests I made (and this is noticeable even from mono) so I definitely need to do something about the viewport.

Honestly now I wish I had just stuck to the zoomed viewport but the problem is that people had trouble seeing the enemies before it was too late (they're still easier to notice when you're sighted, after all).

magurp244 wrote:

Maybe you could try recording the output through another program like Audacity instead to see if theres an issue with how its being logged, though you'll have to change audacity's Preferences: Recording Device from Mono-Mix to Stereo-Mix.

I tried but I got garbage for some reason. Probably PulseAudio messed up and I wasn't in the mood to fix it (restarting PulseAudio solves the issue, but... lazy).

coltonhill01 wrote:

I've seen people do it only with sine waves, but that, sounds, like, absolute, crap!

That's because everything can be made out of sine waves. How well you can recreate the relevant harmonics is a different story altogether.

EDIT: WTF checking that test recording, I can perceive the stereo even with the laptop's speakers, I think this is the first time I can perceive stereo without headphones.

2015-06-30 08:58:55

#coltonhill01
I'm sure it can be done, though there are other things to consider like Phenome's, pronounciation, and other effects that can be tricky to pull off. I haven't played much with voice synthesis to say how it would turn out. I have considered looking more into it at some point though, if only to make it easier to generate better dynamic dialog in games (which would be great!), and some projects approaches are interesting, like the Watson AI, or Microsofts Cortana AI look particularly interesting and fluid as well, though I wonder how hard coded it is and whether it could handle different voice ranges and types.

@Sik
Is that a good thing or a bad thing? heh.

Pyglet.media has similar function sets to OpenAL for 3D positional audio, so I setup a listener object for the players position and adjusted the sounds cone orientation and angles to point directly towards either the left or right, depending on their relative position to the player. The idea being to place objects clearly in either the left or right audio channels for optimal positioning.

2015-06-30 18:42:58

Well it means I shouldn't need headphones to hear stereo for sure... so if I can't hear stereo with my sonar it means its stereo is horrible.

Later I'll try the corner idea I mentioned earlier, maybe it reduces overload enough to make this feasible. Just a dumb question though, how do I mark where slopes start or end? Wondering if I should use blinking to distinguish the different parts of the silhouette.

2015-07-01 08:20:29

Hmm, difficult question. It could stand to reason that having one point higher than another would suggest a slope, but the problem then is with end points being "offscreen" and going undetected by the player, potentially confusing them with pits.

One solution might be to clip the end point of a slope to the nearest edge of the screen, so for example if only half the slope is visible on screen, the end point would be clipped to the edge of the screen halfway along the slope.

2015-07-03 04:34:44

I was considering this:

Gap = fast blink
Slope = slow blink
Ceiling = no blink

I was wondering about how to mark the direction of the slope, but maybe context is enough. Also I need a way to easily mark the boundaries of the level... also what to do if there's a wall where the top is higher than the viewport?

2015-07-03 09:21:08

Whats the difference between a gap and the ceiling, such as when you take floating islands into consideration? Would the absense of a slow blinking slope indicate that the edge is a gap?

Hm, how about "animated" points? You could use a single sound to begin at the start point, and then move along and stop at the end point. So a floor would be represented by a moving sound your standing on, and a slope would move at an angle to its end point, it could also potentially solve the off screen wall issue. If you wanted you could even make each point "blink" at each step along the way instead of a smooth slide as well.

2015-07-03 09:22:45

I've just finished packing my new Demo, AudioRTS! Been working on it all month with all sorts of features, i've uploaded it and a recording of the demo to my repository for anyone who wants to try it out or listen to it. I'm interested in any feedback or questions anyone has. Quick rundown of some of its features:

-The demo features a top-down grid perspective of the environment, objects like buildings, resources, units, and terrain all have unique sounds to identify them. It runs at a resolution of 640 by 480 with over 300, 32 by 32 tiles.

-It uses a Proximity Mouse system, with the position of the mouse determined by 3D stereo panning and pitch. The closer objects are to the mouse, the louder their unique identifying sound is, up to two tiles away in a radius around the mouse.

-There are at the moment two controllable units and three buildings, you can't build anything, but you can harvest resources and blow some stuff up.

-The demo also features a functional Minimap. Rendering all sorts of data in a sonified image tends to create too much conflicting information, so instead the minimap is divided into a series of "slices" that each render only one kind of information. For example, press F1 and it will draw an image showing ONLY the positions of friendly units, F2 an image of only enemies, F3 only resources, F4 terrain obsticals, etc.

2015-07-03 17:29:45

magurp244 wrote:

Whats the difference between a gap and the ceiling, such as when you take floating islands into consideration?

Ceiling is a solid chunk above you, gap is a non-solid chunk below you.

magurp244 wrote:

Would the absense of a slow blinking slope indicate that the edge is a gap?

Wouldn't it be a fast blinking point then, not slow? (that's the idea)

magurp244 wrote:

Hm, how about "animated" points? You could use a single sound to begin at the start point, and then move along and stop at the end point. So a floor would be represented by a moving sound your standing on, and a slope would move at an angle to its end point, it could also potentially solve the off screen wall issue.

Wouldn't it be basically going back to the biggest downside of vOICe, that it requires time to convey a single image?

2015-07-04 08:27:43

Sort of, I suppose. In many respects its not much different from flashing blocks already, the only difference being they move and/or change pitch. Been running a few tests with the idea using the same tone at different pitches, thinking maybe using different kinds of tones for each slope or direction they "flow" might be better. Uploaded the recording to my repository, first half is with a higher slope on the left moving down, and another on the right moving to the bottom corner, second half is a slope in the lower left moving up, and the one on the right still moving down. Seems to have too much of a bleed effect at the moment.

Maybe another way to help cut down on noise would be to render only the side of the screen the players character is facing in the respective left/right audio channel? That way you wouldn't get the interference from the opposite side, though you could still play enemy sounds and such.

2015-07-06 05:46:09

I don't want to use different tones since that's already used to differentiate the kind of objects and such. I already have enough trouble with four of them (though I may remove one of those as superfluous).

Rendering both sides of the screen is important, you never know when a hazard could be coming from behind otherwise.

2015-07-06 07:15:32

Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest you should use different tones, i'm just looking at different approaches on my end.

I realize that rendering only half the screen could potentially be problematic (though I did say you could still play enemy sounds regardless in either direction), you have to keep in mind that it would likely take a fraction of a second for the player to turn around and view the other side of the screen, if it helps cut down on interference and makes the scene more readable it may be worth considering, but thats up to you.

Hmm, so a Gap is a constant fast blink, a Slope is a constant slow blink. What about a blink that slowly shifts from fast to slow? Or a different pattern like morse code? Well, morse code may be going abit far.

2015-07-06 07:51:21

Bokurano Daibouken 3 seems kinda relevant here: static things, like platforms and walls, can make sound, but only in the direction that you're facing. Meanwhile, things that move, like enemies and projectiles, make sound regardless of whether or not you're facing them.
Some static objects make sound regardless--ladders, certain items and switches--but it more or less uses both approaches fairly seamlessly.
It doesn't use a full on vOICe-like sonification', but maybe that'd be helpful to think about anyway?

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2015-07-13 18:48:00 (edited by Sik 2015-07-13 18:48:10)

New attempt:
http://sik.titandemo.de/.junk/audio3.ogg

This is definitely much better. At least now I can tell apart things even though I'm not using headphones. Still needs improvement I suppose, but I want to see if people can start getting an idea of what's going on. (also I noticed that pretty much every sound effect is happening where the player is so far, making 3D positioning for them useless...)

Amusingly at this point it barely even resembles vOICe at all.

2015-07-15 08:11:45

Sorry for the late reply, heh.

I can get a general sense of things in this, such as the rapid sound of cliffs and the slower sound of slopes, I didn't hear any sound indicating the position of the enemy before it was destroyed though, and sometimes the combination of terrain sounds could be abit disorienting. Still, I've checked the recording and listened to it a few times and i'm definitely getting a much better 3D positional audio effect than before from the left to right.

It might help overall readability to put in more supporting sound effects like sounds for the player walking, landing, bumping into things, or tettering on edges to help reinforce the environmental queues.

2015-07-16 02:05:37 (edited by Sik 2015-07-16 02:07:28)

The volume balance of the objects was completely off after the new algorithm so not surprising, they were barely hearable at all. Now I tweaked them back in. Moreover, now they're represented by a single point, which indicates the closer part of their silhouette. This was done to reduce sound overload... honestly there's still a lot of overload though.

Current attempt so far:
http://sik.titandemo.de/.junk/audio4.ogg

I really can't think on a way to get rid of the overloading =/ Also later I'll need to think on a way to do the conveyor belts (which will need to be marked in a way that makes it clear they're moving), and come up with a better way to represent pits. Also, I noticed that inner corners from rooms don't make sound if the ceiling is too high (because they lack a mark to represent them).

magurp244 wrote:

It might help overall readability to put in more supporting sound effects like sounds for the player walking, landing, bumping into things, or tettering on edges to help reinforce the environmental queues.

The problem with this is that extra sound effects costs money to get done, the sounds from the sonar are generated on the fly instead tongue

2015-07-16 04:21:14

Ach, the sound seems alot more piercing and in this recording, although the panning effect is still holding.

You don't necessarily have to pay for extra sound effects, although I suppose it all depends on what you have in mind. I get all my sounds from free Audio Tools and public domain sources, then mix them around in Audacity. Here's a few links:

SFXR and BXFR random 8bit sound generators:
(http://www.drpetter.se/project_sfxr.html)
(http://www.bfxr.net)

Public Domain Sounds:
(http://www.pdsounds.org)
(http://www.audiosoundclips.com)

2015-07-16 04:53:33

The piercing sound may be the blob of poisonous water near the beginning tongue (that still stands as a problem, that's multiple objects all making sound at the same time)

The problem with sound effects is that every time I attempt to make my own, everybody screams that they're horrible... (Sol was going to have a completely different set of sound effects before an overhaul at last minute)