2015-05-17 15:23:06

I've always been interested in learning programming, so I've decided to learn BGT. I figured it would be a great starting point, and also allow me to eventually make some games. I'm curious, for those of you who know BGT, how you guys got started? I've been reading through the BGT help files, but there are a lot of things it doesn't describe completely, thus making it hard to progress.

Thank you.

2015-05-17 15:29:37

Hi nighthauke,
I started out learning with the language tutorial. Can you give an example of something it doesn't explain fully?

2015-05-17 15:46:00

Yeah I read the language tutorial, I found that to be helpful. I'm currently reading game programming and practice part I. I was able to make a menu, and I was attempting to add an intro. I copied what it said, have the sound file I want to use, and believe I typed it correctly, but I still get an error. If you want I can post my code.
But little errors like this cause me to ask more questions aboutcoding that I don't know. Such as, how exactly does voice main work, is there a certain line of code that needs to be before another, etc. I'm sure I'll have many questions to ask while I learn BGt, but I don't want to clutter this forum with all of my questions haha.

2015-05-18 05:53:07

Yes, kind of like the language tutorial shows, looking at code is really what does it. Sometimes you don't understand new code but experiencing usually does the trick. It took me a while but everytime I looked at new code, it helped. And after a while you just start to have your own ideas on how to fix things, how to program a game from scratch, etc.

I am a web designer, and a game developer. If you wish see me at http://www.samtupy.com

2015-05-18 15:38:41

Hello all! Ross, I'm also starting with BGT, and somehow I managed to complete the two first examples. you can take a look of my first example here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/613 … 0train.zip
Hope it helps. I'm not 100% sure of the reason of why I did the steps in a given form and it worked, or if there are other correct forms. All I'm doing so far until I figure out how it works is to use bits of code.
Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

2015-05-18 16:30:29 (edited by Genroa 2015-05-18 16:31:31)

IMO I don't think that you are really learning BGT. The problem is that you copy and paste the code; I think that you should write it by hand, even if it's only two new lines of code. You have to understand what you are writing, what it does, and how everything works smile it's really like a LEGO game it's cool to follow a little assembly plan to make a car, but when you want to make your own, you just don't know how to do it. And programs are infinitely more complex than LEGO plans, so there's a point where people just can't tell you "write this, and this, and this, and it will work" wink

Because of this, always think about "what does this line do? What's this? So, if I write this, it will do that?" Experiment, and ask tons of questions! This way, you will understand what you write and you will make great progress smile

2015-05-18 22:19:22

And if you have friends WHO know bgt, talk to them on skype, post them your code and have your friends a look at the code. They can probably help better. This helped me a lot.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2015-05-18 22:22:44

Since it feet perfectly in my current situation, thanks for the advices.
Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

2015-05-19 06:11:04

I may not be sam tupy over here, but I can definitely help you, I'm good, I guess. I can make games, I'm working on a project that none of you even know about with lucas, and it's pretty frickin cool!

----------
An anomaly in the matrix. An error in existence. A being who cannot get inside the goddamn box! A.K.A. Me.

2015-05-19 16:44:54

Hi,
Yeah, me and Colton have been working on a game which I started out on over spring break and that Colton started helping me with a few weeks or so later. I will only give you guys one clue about it. It was, in part, enspired by awesome homer level 1, but has grown and grown since then. We're not sure of the release date, we might release it as it is with a few bug fixes and such, or we might add more to it and have a longer time til release. Anyways I tuess that was going off topic. Lol. I guess I'm also ok, I started in November learning bgt, and so have been learning it for about 6 and a half months.

2015-05-23 16:03:23

Sam helped me fix a problem with the windows attack tutorial. I was trying to have the falling sound of the virus decrease in pitch as it was falling. It turns out that I had a certain line code in the wrong place. After he fixed it, it works now.

Sincerely:
John Follis
Check out my YouTube Channel.

2015-05-23 16:31:54

Dude I suck and i literally do mean suh juarasjuasjuasjuasjuasjuasjuasjuasjuasjuasjuasjuasjuas uhk at coding but one thing is that you gotta look at examples of it, hopefully good ones, and if you get compilation errors just try to figure whats going on, its not always going to point you right at the problem, think of a broken machine trying to tell you what's wrong with itself, so look at the surrounding lines if say the error is on line 10 look at line 9 and 11. Even more, if you have nested if statements or nested loops, it gets even more crazy then you just gotta run line by line until you figure it out. sometimes a missing symbol is all it is, sometimes its just frustrating because you should know better by now. I don't really have anyone to ask questions to and help me with my stuff, and i only know like the basic basic basics, so i'm kinda stuck and just sort of gave it up.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2015-05-24 22:57:38

Ross, definitely feel free to post your code and the exact error the compiler provides. Sometimes helping out with specific situations provides more help at the given moment than trying to offer generic rules and guidelines, but for that, we need to see the problem plainly. :-)
Thanks,
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.