2015-04-25 05:07:16

I've noticed a number of posts that involve sharing code.  I was wondering if anyone in the community has thought about using GitHub to store such code?  It makes for a good way to store code that can be reused by others in a place that is easily searchable.  Also, it makes it possible for others to fork your code as well as submit bug fixes or code improvements that you can merge back into your code base.  There might be really good reasons people aren't using something like GitHub, but I thought I would ask.

2015-04-25 07:52:15

Hi,
There's a reason for not using github: it only allows for a maximum of 1 GB of space for each repository, and source code can get quite large - look at the GCC source code, for example - and that's why github isn't used. I have a server that I could set up a git repo on if you want, though.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2015-04-26 05:18:24

I can't imagine any normal audiogame hitting that limit, even if you include external dependencies. If you don't include them, then multiple games should be able to use the same repository for code storage and sharing.

2015-04-26 05:25:37

That sounds like a good idea--but I wouldn't be using such a repository since, well, my code works, quite well even, but it's messy! lol. Anyways Victorious is right, no audio game source code would become that large--would any piece of code? Perhaps if you included sounds, documentation, and those such things then I'd reckon so. but I'd imagine a code repository as... well... raw code. Nothing else.

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2015-04-26 07:06:26

If it was raw code, yes - but if you want to include source code, you might as well include documentation, sounds and such.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2015-04-26 07:38:16

Yeh, with docx, sounds, release and all for example, the stw code directory is well, let's see here. survive the wild  Size: 183.0 MB, Attributes: ---AD------, Modified: 4/24/2015 6:23:28 PM  77 of 98. I have a private folder and I won't disclose much about it, other than the fact it is just game sourcecode, made with me and not many others at all. All game sourcecode. (foldername)  Size: 1.8 GB, Attributes: R---D------, Modified: 4/25/2015 3:45:20 PM  4 of 49. Sure theres a lot of source projects in there, but still. Quite insain. And when it comes to stw, well that is only v0.61.6, not even a full release and I don't even have animals, weather, etc etc. And it's already that big. So once all of that is added, well, it could get huge. ANd look at swamp, for example. swamp  Size: 816.5 MB, Attributes: ----D------, Modified: 1/10/2015 10:59:06 AM  5 of 7. Almost a gig there as well. So in my opinion a game could most defenantly be a gig in size, and if the github had more than one game in it, well... You get what i'm saying anyway.

I am a web designer, and a game developer. If you wish see me at http://www.samtupy.com

2015-04-26 12:00:57

Ok.
2 mb sourcecode is around 40000 lines.
Even if every game in existance is 40 thousand lines, audiogames that is, and you have every audiogame ever, it only comes to like 900 games. I'm sure there are not 900 games in the audiogames community. So I don't know. Maybe you have something other than code in your folder, or something else. Idk.

This is not a signature.

2015-04-26 12:51:56

The idea i thought behind this was to share code snipets that may be useful to other people developing similar (or even entirely different) kinds of audiogames, so putting code would be more appropriate than documentation, or sounds which are likely to be a lot more specific for your game.

2015-04-26 18:14:02

Oh well sure, if there was no sounds docx etc, I was talking the full fledge project.

I am a web designer, and a game developer. If you wish see me at http://www.samtupy.com

2015-04-26 18:40:26

My guess is that people don't really use github, or a git server running on their vps for that matter because of the learning curve involved if someone had never used a versioning system in their life. What sounds easier, hey, pull this game and then you can merge your changes in when you fix a bug vs, hey, let's make a dropbox folder, I'll just paste in the code and you'll see it magically appear on your side. I would also imagine that people may be a little intimidated by the fact git looks very complicated at first, with github only really talking about the commandline git tool not mentioning the various apps people developped that integrate it with explorer.
Realistically speaking, it would take a long time for a game to get to 1GB. The only reason swamp is that big is because Aprone wrote it in VB6 and using directsound 8, which natively only supports wav. And high quality uncompressed WAV is big. The game resources could also be hosted in a different location and updated separately. Lack of awareness could also play some part in it because most of the time I hear of developers sharing dropbox or btsync folders, as well as being somewhat against sharing even small, reusable pieces of code because "someone could run away with it"

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2015-04-26 18:56:10

Well, if we're just going to use code snippets in the repo , why not create a git repo for every type of code snippet available, like C, C++, VB, Java, etc? That would be even better. we could sort it by category, for instance, and then inside of the category folder we have a list of snippet sub-folders available, in which the snippet code is findable within the sub-folders.

My Github

2015-04-26 19:30:30

Hi, github looks a lot of complicated, I have tried to download the top speed source code, for example, and bunch of technical stupid stuff appeared, which I haven't heard in my life.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2015-04-26 20:29:46

I was thinking this to be something similar to the code up for grabs topic on the bgt forum, where people share useful pieces of code, includes, and other such material. 1gb is enough; we're not talking a game repository, heh, that's what audiogames.net is for. It's pieces of code, and I don't even think it's appropriate to include whole projects anyways as that is inviting theft. So I can even see how Ethin's suggestion would work, it in fact sounds like the most useful one as he and 1 or 2 others seem to be the ones who get the gist of the matter. This certainly sounds useful as I said previously, and it does really sound nice to separate code by language as to prevent confusion.

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.

2015-04-26 20:31:44

A forum would definetly be much better.

I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2015-04-26 21:27:14

Agreed

2015-04-27 22:28:46

Hi,
A forum would not be much better at all. In fact, it would cause confusion to arise; a git repository is plenty. If we set one up, we're going to have to figure out how to make an anonymous account so that people may upload and download as they like without having to allow people manually, as that could get extremely complicated. I'll set one up on github if you want me to. Just say the word.

My Github

2015-04-28 03:42:30

the word.

OK but seriously, yeah that would be a pretty cool idea in my opinion, definitely something useful, although seeing it from both sides I can also see why folks would think a forum to be better. Although, with that mindset, it's also safe to say a cms of sorts would be good, or even just some hand coded thing... but really. Github seems like the best idea at this point, because the only people who would be using it anyways were coders, and such people should be ready for complecation--not even bgt can take that away.

2015-04-28 04:40:59

Hey, I got a forum set up, let me know if you want to use it for this and i'll get it up and running properly.

Dreaming of a dystopian future.

2015-04-28 13:18:22

Hi,
I don't really think I will be using the repository because I don't really see the need to set github up for anything else.

2015-04-28 15:37:16 (edited by Ethin 2015-04-28 23:07:10)

Well, I've set up the repository. I'll figure out collaboration when I get back home, but for now its at https://github.com/ethindp/ag-net-source-code. If you want, I can change the name if you'd like, but the above link will change as well if I do.

My Github

2015-04-28 23:08:53

OK, guys, I'm ready. Its visitable now.

My Github

2015-04-29 01:52:09

er, ethin, that is pretty nice. but there was this link on that page, and I visited it and found something that looked like a code repository.
http://obdn.obron.org/index.php/Code_repository
What is that?

2015-04-29 16:08:38

Hi,
That was a web site - but when I created the page, I got a 403. Not sure why.

My Github

2015-05-10 19:54:59

Hi,

Actually, I was not suggesting that we create a single repo for all code shared in these forums.  Instead, I was suggesting that people might want to consider using git and github (or other similar systems) for sharing and collaborating on code.

Github is specifically designed to help developers share and collaborate on code and documentation.  I do understand that they look complex.  However, there are a number of tutorials that teach how to use them and they are less complex than they appear at first.

I definitely understand why most people might feel more comfortable with Dropbox.  However, unless you want to pay for the extra services, it does make collaboration a bit more awkward.

While I am new to audio game programming, I'm actually not new to development work.  Some of the other development work I have done involves working collaboratively on code and things like Github have proven useful in that work.  I hadn't seen anyone here using it so I thought I would suggest it.

If people are interested, I can suggest some tutorials for using git and github or provide assistance in using it.

2015-05-10 20:49:54

Hi, the only thing I'm only interested in right now is the top speed source code, but I couldn't download the thing from github.