2015-05-02 13:51:31

I personally feel confortable in BGT, but I have played a bit with Python because of NVDA.
I do wish that BGT would be cross platform. But whatever language works for everyone.
And while you can't do a hello world script with BGT, Perhaps you can do something like:

void main()
{
alert("Hello World.", "Its a beautiful day in the neighborhood!");
}

For those of you who have BGT, try that piece of code and see if it works.

Sincerely:
John Follis
Check out my YouTube Channel.

2015-05-02 14:48:41

I'll try to add screen readers a better support for BGT audioracer smile

The only reason why you "can't" do some kind of standart Hello World in BGT is because there's no standart output like a console. But you can print a hello worl just like you did, or in a log file, or spoke as a tts sound smile

2015-05-02 19:38:26

BGT will never be cross platform. I spoke to Philip on this matter, and he said that it wouldn't be cross platform'd to Linux users because of the fact taht he'd have to interface with the X audio system, which doesn't support what he has already. I did not ask him why Mac wouldn't work, although I'm supposing that it's probably for the same reason, and most of the Mac apps are written in objective-c so he'd have to rewrite BGT entirely in that to get the desired affect.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2015-05-02 20:49:31 (edited by Orin 2015-05-02 21:02:05)

I can do basics with BGT. The thing that's hard for me, made slightly easier by the Heat Engine, is making maps. The WorldBox class that the Heat Engine has makes it easier because all you have to do, to make the core map itself, is put the properties in such as length, X/Y start points I guess--I'm new to it, so not 100 percent sure. I get confused with arrays, I read the docs I'm the manual and I get the concept of it, but most people make maps in Arrays and most people make enemies/other NPC classes with enemy types as an Array. I have scene Int arrays, but there are other types that I haven't scene in code before.
Still, yes you can make a Hello World script with BGT. I just called the alert function and it said Hello World.
Is there a way in BGT to do what PureBasic programmers do with Arrays? In PB, you make the array and how big the list is starting at zero which is the index, and line by line list what is in the array. Let's say the array was a list of enemies in an enemy class. I forgot how to start PB arrays, but once you start an array in PB, it's something like:
bird.i
dog.i
hamster.i
You get the idea. The "i" is referring to the fact that it's an integer array, I'd assume. Haven't read a whole lot on PB. With BGT, most arrays I've scene create a for loop so...
for uint(i)(Parameters go here).
Most people, once they become proficient will put five statements of code on one line--especially if statements, making it hard to read. I've adopted Genua's coding style and indenting as much as possible, but I prefer the one statement on a line method until I can look at my code and figure it out. AKA PB and listing arrays individually. I'm not ready to spend money on PB yet though.
Okay, that's my rant over now.

2015-05-02 22:14:31

I always put my lines of code on separate lines. That way, I can read it better.
And I always put the braces on there own line.
This may sopund tedious, but I think that commenting your code almost on every line even the braces will help you should you need to pinpoint a certain error.
By the way, has anyone looked at my topic I just posted about Windows attack Ailien Outback and Troopinum style?

Sincerely:
John Follis
Check out my YouTube Channel.

2015-05-10 00:30:11

Hello,
pyglet is going through a lot of development now, so it is probably a nice, easy to use engine.
With pyglet you need to use accessible_output and recognize that key events and playing the sound are not directly related. You create a listener that looks for an event like a on_key_pressed event and then processes the stuff in the function when the event happens.
A sound source is a player object and it can really only have one sound. (player meaning audio player, not person player). You set this player different places on the map and you can control the sound inside the player by calling the player's methods and changing its attributes.
There is another item called the listener and this listener is the person player. you move the coordinates of this listener around the map and it changes the volume of the different sounds you have placed with the different players.

A more advanced game engine is Panda3d and this has everything from html support to physic libraries. Disney uses it and so do a lot of other people. It is super big but has everything.
If you can, try to use it, but I think it may be a little advanced...

2015-05-10 01:45:45

I'll look at it again. I haven't looked at it in a while.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2015-05-10 05:30:50

Frastlin, are you still working on Audiopygame? If not, what's the hold up? Do you recommend people use Pyglet now as an alternative?
i'll be sure to take a look at it, though.

2015-05-10 12:02:40

Hello,
I am going to be making an audiogame with pyaudiogame before I start recommending it to people. I am recommending pyglet and panda3d for now. If you would like to use pygame, you can download pyaudiogame, it is great with pygame, but there are some really bad practices that pygame has that pyglet and panda3d do not have. I have not transferred pyaudiogame over to them yet. But basically all pyaudiogame is is a set of tools over the top of an existing library that helps in audiogame creation. So if you start learning pyglet or panda3d, you could probably easily contribute to pyaudiogame.

I would lean more towards panda3d as it has so much support for everything under the moon, but it is 500 MB where as pyglet is 10 mb and pygame is 6 MB.

2015-05-10 19:13:28

If you are learning to code, it is always best to start off by engaging in good coding practices (such as limiting each line to a single statemen and including comments in the code.)  You really can't ever have too many comments.  However, as you gain more experience, you will find that it is best to limit comments to blocks of code to explain the purpose of that code and what it is trying to do.  That will greatly help later when you have to maintain or fix the code.

Also, if you have trouble with languages that use braces to denote the beginning and endings of blocks, I suggest adding a short comment on the line where each brace appears--simply denoting the beginning or ending of the block.

2015-05-10 19:22:26

Hi,
I've downloaded panda3d. I really like it, and the getting started tutorial code looks quite nice if I can say for myself. I could post the code here, but that's easily findable on the documentation, so I won't.

My Github

2015-05-11 09:53:19

Yes, once you figure out how to get out of all the graphics and just utilize the awesome object support, it is amazing!