2015-01-29 16:00:34 (edited by ogomez92 2015-02-09 12:59:17)

Sorry for posting this twice... I posted it in general game discussion by mistake
Hi everyone!
I have made a new game, and I think this time you are really going to enjoy playing it.
It is called run for your life, and I got inspired by a game from sammy center called avoid the beeps, though this game is vastly different.
In this game, you have to avoid falling objects, collect bonus items, avoid falling in smoke bombs... And enjoy the immersive music, which changes according to your health!
This will be a first version for the following reasons:
1. I still have to record speaking files to explain when you get a bonus. Even though there is a learn sounds option, sometimes it is easy to forget what they do.
2. The game still uses your screen reader to speak most things, and I want to record my own voices.
3. There are still many bonus items to come, and many other fun things that I want to code.
Please, check it out and read the readme file.
If you have any suggestions, bug reports, or you find something in the readme that needs further explanation, please comment. I'm known for making very short readme files or not making them at all, so if you find anything weird in that aspect please let me know.
And yes, I know that the readme does not yet have a proper conclusion...
The link is:
http://oriolgomez.com/files/runforyourlife.zip

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2015-01-29 16:15:31

hello. I tryed to download the game and I got a dropbox 400 arror.

Blindness isn't a disability, but a diffrent way of seeing things

2015-01-29 16:23:26

Sigh. Ok, I fixed it. try the link at the top again.

2015-01-29 16:25:24

Wait until its done uploading

2015-01-29 18:24:18

@Oriol, amusingly enough when I saw the title of this topic I laughed, I didn't know new games from you were that scary big_smile.

Great sounds and music, I especially like the different death quotes.
I do however have a couple of issues. First, when I first played the game the music was so loud I couldn't hear the game. I automatically hit pg down, and that worked to turn the volume down but it wasn't mentioned in the readme, also until i restarted the game I didn't seem to be able to use the arrows to move after turning down the volume, though I've fiddled with the volume sinse and not replicated the problem.

About the game itself, firstly I'd like a "get ready" sound before the start, sinse initially I'd died when I barely realized I was playing. fun for arcade weerdness, however again this suffers the problem many audiogames do of just chucking a bunch of random stuff at you as much as possible. It seems the falling objects falling sound plays waaaay before they hit the floor, meaning avoiding them seemed very based on luck sinse it wasn't always possible to tell what was falling and what had landed, quite apart from the higher background volume.
I think part of this was that the sterrio field didn't feel particularly well defined here, most things seemed to happen in a narrow band at the center of the field without using the extreme right or left for gameplay elements as much.

I'm all for difficult games, but I'd rather a game be difficult because I know what is going on and am learning reactions and judging the engine than just because I'm trying to understand a complex bunch of souns squashed together.

Then again of course, I've not played the sammy center game so I don't know if this is similar or not.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-01-29 18:30:47

I fully agree with you dark.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2015-01-29 20:04:43

downloading it now smile

A Candle Loses Nothing by Lighting Another Candle…
" GamerTag is. ItsTBlaze & Twitter @TBlaze97
"One Love"

2015-01-29 20:11:50

Hi,
Oriol, this is really great, I liked it, continue this awesome work.

Kind regards!

Add me on battle.net and let's have fun, region is Europe, my BattleTag is: Hajjar#21470
By reading my post, you agree to my terms and conditions :P

2015-01-29 20:24:42

I like the game, but the sterrio field is uncomfertible for me because the sounds are to close together.
other than that, I wish I could pause the game, and plus, there needs to be a sonar sound when the enemie is in the center of my screen making it easy to avoid.
when I said uncomfertible, I ment the sound doesn't move from right to left and left to right.

2015-01-29 20:30:09

Hi Oriol
I have a suggestion: I advice you to change the landing sound or the foot steps sounds, because the landing sound seems like on a normal floor, I think it is concrete or something, and the walking sounds seems like on wood or plastic floor, in short: the foot steps sounds and the landing sound isn't compatible with each other, I advice you to change one of them to make it compatible with the other, and thanks for the awesome game Oriol, it's amazing, continue this great work.

Kind regards!

Add me on battle.net and let's have fun, region is Europe, my BattleTag is: Hajjar#21470
By reading my post, you agree to my terms and conditions :P

2015-01-29 21:29:23

Hello,
After playing for a while, I'd like to offer up some thoughts.
While I can see the idea behind wanting a center sound, at the same time I think it will make things a bit too easy. The thing is, the items are always tracking you, so it's more about reaction times in a way. Sometimes when the item is far away from you it's volume goes quiet but as it gets closer you will hear it get louder, but that's only if the item was righta cross the other side of he screen in th first place.
The game is not supposed to be easy. I can make it to level four or five on most runs now. You have to pay attention to where you are and yes, where the items are, jumping definitely helps more. Of course there are bound to be those very aggressive items that just won't leave you alone and you'll seem to get hit by them no matter what, but that could, in a way, be part of it.

2015-01-29 21:49:43

Yep the best I've done is to get to level 4. I feel like the field is really small. I end up dying more on the barriers than from the items falling at me which is kind of sad.
THe readme mentions a fire protection bonus. Is there one?
WIsh there was a way to skip the death epitaph music. It is kind of long.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2015-01-29 23:32:39

Yes. Almost no logo can be skipped.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2015-01-30 02:05:06

Well, my best showing is level 7, 1765 points, 66 landed enemies and 22 of them hit me. I think that's pretty good.

This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!

2015-01-30 06:35:31

Hi!
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
I have fixed the music volume, it will be a little lower by default, and I also mentioned it in the readme.

What else: The stereo field, the problem here is that since the enemies are chasing you, you will almost always hear them close to you. Maybe someone else will have a suggestion to make the game a little easier. SHould I make enemies slower? Should I add difficulty levels?
I'm not going to add a center sound. That's just not going to work, since you're supposed to avoid the enemies.
Also, perhaps I should make bonus items appear more often.

Here are the changes that I have for now, for the next version:
Bonus items are now a little more frequent
You now hear a ticking sound every second if you stand at the corners too long.
The pain sound no longer moves... I don't know why it did. I suck
mentioned music changing volume in the readme.

2015-01-30 09:14:48

yes I need the enemies to be slowed down, and add difficulty levels.
Please also add a pause feature because I'm tired of having to press escape to return to the main menu all the time.
When I pause the game, I want to use the shortcuts to check how many bonus items I have.
also, I don't like the enemies spawning a lot.
it makes the game unwinnable.
When the game is paused, I want the music to stay on, not off.
also, I would like the game to allow me to select my speech options.
I wish there was a select screen reader option.
I could either use sapi5 or NVDA.

2015-01-30 09:41:48

Hi Nick,
OK I will take your suggestions into consideration, but do not expect me to mke enemies spawn less, that's the whole nature of this game... I made them a little slower but they wil raise in difficulty with levels. And yes, that is true, the game is unbeatable, you need to play for as long as you can and boast about your score!
I will add speech options, and maybe a pause feature in the coming days.

2015-01-30 09:43:54 (edited by ogomez92 2015-01-30 09:47:57)

For now, here, the latest version:
Here are the changes:
Changes since first version

Bonus items are now a little more frequent
You now hear a ticking sound every second if you stand at the corners too long.
The pain sound no longer moves... I don't know why it did. I suck
mentioned music changing volume in the readme.
music files are now normalized, so there shouldn't be inconsistent volume changes.
made enemies a little slower let's see if this is better
Made the grid a lot bigger... and now it seems to be a lot nicer, since you're not so likely to hit the barriers and you can jump away from enemies! Will make a bonus object that makes it smaller though
Changing grid size caused some problems with death soudns and teleports, which have been fixed.
we now have a sound when starting the game! You can skip it by pressing enter
The game is now a lot more fun, with the bigger grid and everything.
Fixed a readme inconsistancy, where I said that you are positioned at a 30 sized grid but its now 50.
You can now skip the death jingle and quote by pressing enter

Enjoy! I still  need to record voice files, will do tomorrow

2015-01-30 09:52:32

I will not provide text to speech options for the simple reason that we won't need them once I record my voice files. I hope it doesn't cause too many issues while we don't have voice files.

2015-01-30 11:13:40

Hello folks. Downloading the game, it seems fun.
Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

2015-01-30 12:45:54

Note that when I was mentioning the game's difficulty previously, I wasn't! suggesting a center sound, just better definition of what is going on.

Level 4 has been my best thus far, but as I said, I want difficulty via a hard game to judge, not difficulty because most sounds are centralized so that it's harder to tell what is where and because the game just throws an insane volume of stuff at you to the point you can't tell what is where.

I don't believe  it is specifically oriol's fault, many audiogames do this (troopanum was particularly bad).

Perhaps however the game should be a little more like blind swordsman and a little less like troopanum? that is what I mean regarding difficulty.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-01-30 13:29:17

I felt like the sounds of the falling objects are just really quiet. And some of them seem to have insane horizontal movement speeds which basically means they are unavoidable, but you probably made it that way. I can only play it like 3 times in a row before my fingers get so tired from hitting the arrows that fast, lol. Best showing was something like 1700 points on level 7 with 62 landed enemies.

2015-01-30 13:51:45

please make a setup file of the game rather than zip and add an automatic updates feature.

2015-01-30 14:01:23

Hi Dark,
Blidn swordsman... we already have a bunch of blind swordsman clones. Blidn swordsman itself is a soundfall clone, a supershot clone... The basic concept is the same. I wanted to create a fast paced game, and I think I got it. Though I did, in the latest version I posted today, make the falling sound a little louder. maybe it will help.

2015-01-30 14:23:45 (edited by Shadowcat 2015-01-30 14:30:21)

well just got this about 5 hours ago, gotta say its actually pretty fun
Oh crap, you're dead! You managed to get 3608 points and you were at level 8 with 79 landed enemies. However, 17 managed to hit you.
my best score so far, lets see if I can't top that
also, props for the pentatonix death audio lol

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.