2014-10-03 12:02:27

Recently, I've been thinking that it would be interesting to try making a robot. There's a kit called rapiro, that sounds quite cool and can be programmed with an arduino and a raspberry pi. I don't know much about this kind of thing, so I would like to know if the raspberry pi and arduino are accessible to program. (that wasn't worded very well, but you know what I mean) This might also be important since I want to do computer science and artificial intelligence at university, and that will involve some robotics.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2014-10-03 15:21:34

Raspberry Pis are fine because you're just doing Linux programming.  The real advantage is that it lets you use any of a group of programming languages that aren't C/C++.  It also gives you the services of an operating system, i.e. the ability to connect to the internet, allocate memory, and do text to speech (not sure how to do this last one, but I believe Espeak compiles for it). Arduino is questionable, and I'd not go there anyway.  Arduino is apparently despised by the industry because it basically hides everything away.  I looked for command line tools, but everything I found for it was semi-unofficial.
That's not your issue though.  Sighted help will be needed for circuit assembly.  I've never, ever found a way to do circuit assembly without sighted help.  At best, this is a breadboard.  At worst, it's soldering.  But you can't get around it and, usually, the question as to whether it's your program or a circuit you can't fix is pretty open.  You have to be 100% confident in programming to determine that without sighted help, and you still probably need sighted help to fix it.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2014-10-03 16:35:11

Unfortunately, arduino programming language doesn't seem to be accessible, last time I tried when an Arduino uhm, programmer? came to my school. Neither NVDA nor JAWS would say anything in the programme. Its also hard to set up a circuit without sighted assistance because the Microcontroller Boards just have too many holes on it. (Note! Its possible to make an Arduino programme using a computer. You just need the Arduino programme, the Microcontroller board and USB cables or something like that. Trust me, someone showed me once by using my own computer so I know.)

Team rocket's blasting off again!

2014-10-05 22:34:02

Thanks for your responses. It's good to know about the raspberry pi, but I'm not sure whether it's worth trying to use an arduino with sighted help really. I hope this won't be a problem at uni, though I'll probably have an assistant for some modules anyway, and hopefully we won't be using things like the arduino. Does anyone know of any kind of robot project I could try myself before then? I'm more interested in having something I can program than anything hard to assemble, since I'll probably have to rely on my dad to put it together.

2014-10-06 03:26:07

This is one of those times wherein if you have to ask the question, you probably don't have a dad who is capable of doing 90% of what's out there.  There is a reason I never went down this road, and it's not for lack of trying; your options are extremely imited uniless you're in a setting with people who can help.  I'd suggest learning normal programming as most of it transfers anyway.
In terms of easy to program, the Raspberry Pi *is* Linux.  if you're blind, it doesn't get much easier.  Universities themselves probably won't use either--the Arduino hides too much and requires learning some sort of subset of C++, and the Raspberry pi is not really an embedded system (it's used as such, but really it's just Linux and nothing special--i.e. you won't learn anything from it).  Colleges like assembly programming, C (not C++), and all sorts of stuff that doesn't fit into these categories.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992