2007-05-07 15:19:36 (edited by Engrishman 2007-05-07 15:20:56)

Hello !
I am still playing Monkey Business.
I don't know what to think about this game : the sounds are cool and fun, the game has many good ideas but it found it very very hard.
I pass more than 20 hours only to pass the first level, without any help exept of course the instruction leaflet.
The second and third level were piece of cake in comparaison. The second is my favorite, with funny monkeys to catch. I love it and enjoy it deeply.
But the acid pit level : I will say it is the more frustrating level I have ever play in my life. I don't understand how to jump even with the instruction for uses. I walk on the ledge to avoid the acid pit, but it make me die.
Finally, I was looking for a walkthrough and found the one submitted by lee Davies. But even with this one, I die numerous time to jump the acid pit. Sometime, I jump successfully over the pit and reach the next corridors with arrows. But the more often, I die in the pit.
Once, I pass the pits, then I pass the arrows and two following seconds later, I was dying killed by something I can not even identify. This moment make me cry louder !  And I have to restart the whole level : it is non sense.
Sometime, This game bring me a lot af good feeling, with a strong and good experience of interactive audio trip. But others times like this one, I don't know what to do, and if I must continu this game. It is bad because I think this game could be excelent with a learning curve more progressive. For exemple, why put in this game acid pit to jump so large ? Why one arrow can kill you even if you have 100% of your life ? Why the first level is so hard with limited time to follow the professeur ? I am afraid of the next level : what can it be ? I fear it will be impossible to pass for me.

So I am very curious to know if there is audiogamers here who have succed to finish this game.
Anyway, I think a Monkey Business 2 can be a very good idea because the game can really be very fun and enjoyable.

2007-05-07 16:35:14 (edited by Shin_Goenitz 2007-05-07 16:41:35)

Hi.
I can't understand why you have trouble jumping over those acid pits, it's so very easy if you have read both the manual and the walkthrough on this site. I can try to write one  myself.

1. Go forward, until you hear mud under your feet.
2. Go two steps more, and Shift+right arrow to move one step to the right. It's important that you do that right step, because if you don't, the snakes have bigger chanse to bite you.
3. Press Control+up arrow to jump, and tap up rappidly to move in the air.
4. You should now hear Smith dropping to the ground instead of falling in the acid.
5. Do the same with pit #2.
6. Same now too, except you must only take two steps instead of three.
7. Last pit there, and the same descriptions as the previous one.
8. Take a few steps, and then you will hear a bang sound. You will now hear that your entered one of the corodors in the Aztech temple.
9. If my brain remembers right, turn around with the insert key. You must use the one on the num-pad, I think.
10. Press Alt+Control+down arrow, and you will run while crouching. Then, the arrows who is fired from the air can not hit you.
11. Do that for a while, eventually, you will hear the bang sound again. Yes you have entered a new coridor. But what, a noisy rumbling sound?
12. But not be calm for too long, because this is the most anoying corodors (Yes,there are two) in the  temple. You are followed by cave-in's, as the game calls it. It sounds like a giant avalanche to me though.
13. Quickly press insert again, move quickly to the right until you hit  the wall. Then, run as fast as you can downward, until you encounter the next wall. Move quickly to the left, and run as fast as you can downward again. You will enter a new coridor now, but you're not gonna fine peese yet. Quickly press the insert key again, and I think quickly move to the right, run as fast as you can downward, until you come to the wall. Go to the left, and repete the steps until you get into the main room. Oh bloody hell, that was a bit hard eh? I think, at least, because the game can slow down and such.
14. Then, it's just to catch the monkeys and go to the teleporter. There are some statues and such in the room, but I've not been so much into them.

Overall a good game, much action and funny sounds. I have cracked it right now, but I'll maybe buy it one day.

V

2007-05-07 16:55:26

Thank you very much, Shin_Goenitz.
About the pit, I can explain what make my wrong :
First, I didn't understand how to jump. I was thinking I just had to press the up arrows key plus the control key. Then I realize in that way I was just jumping on the same place without moving, so I understand I had to run by doing the alt key plus the up arrow key and the control  key. But I did'nt imagine that It work better if I press repeatidly the up arrows key when smith is in the air to move in a more long distance.

My jumping problem is also related to my computer : I am playing on a laptop and don't want to press the up key too furiously : so I often fall down in the pit.
Now, I play with a additionnal keyboard, but I don't have all the key on this one, so it is more easy to jump by pressing quickly the key wihtout fearing to broke my laptop, but It is harder to exploring the corridors.

Your advice will be very usefull : I did not realise than I can run while Smith is crunching. I was walking, and stopping before crouching by hearing the launch of an arrow, and I was repeating this until the end of the corridor. Running while crounching will be nice : thanks.

And thanks again for the cave-in. It does not sound very easy to pass, but I will try by following your advice.
I will post here to share my joy when this will occure - smile.

2007-05-07 17:19:32

OK, now, I have no more problem for jumping and avoid the arrows.
Concerning the arrows, it is strange however than Smith have to turn his back face to the exit for running while crounching. Smith runs in a really strange way... But it is efficient : exploring this long corridor in this manner take just few seconds.
I am still killed by the cave-in but I have not say my last word.

2007-05-07 17:45:40

yeah, I have actually just pass the cave in.
I think I will soon post again about eventual another problem -smile. The game doesn't look so easy for me.
Anyway, thank again for the help.

2007-05-07 18:45:09

I know the game quite well and could help you with most anything.

Official server host for vgstorm.com and developer of the Manamon 2 netplay server.
PSA: sending unsolicited PMs or emails to people you don't know asking them to buy you stuff is disrespectful. You'll just be ignored, so don't waste your time.

2007-05-07 22:21:53

Me too. I figured your problem with jumping was that you weren't tapping the up arrow keys...Holding it down won't work on the last 2 pits. Just tap it on all of the pits, won't hurt.

Regards,
Mike
Co-Founder, RS Games
www.rsgames.org

2007-05-07 23:27:14

Monkey Business was a bit of a challenge for me but not as much as I would've liked.  Then again I've been spoiled by mainstream games.  I used to know a very easy way to get through the acid pits, the arrows and the cave in part  of that level.  Maybe I'll have to dust the game off and try again since it's been awhile since I've played it.  I had to ask on this site how to get through level 9 though.

One more thing about the Aztec temple level. SPOILERS
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

When you first enter the level and the professor tells you that he's counting on you, he means that litterally!  Let's just say the stones you find aren't just there for fun.

Also, I don't know what triggers it, but sometimes when you walk up to the alter the ground crumbles and you die.  LOL I also found the teleporter out of that level by accident. LOL

Now, anyone know how to do the bonus level?  I still haven't figured it out.

Brian

2007-05-08 01:12:17

I found it challenging in the beginning.
I never found the "Lab" level hard. getting "Fired" near the beginning kinda ticked me off a fiew times, though it's not hard to prevent.
I found the lengthy cutsceen annoying.
Level 2 was hard for me for the first time because of the waterfall. I mastered it after a while though.
The wall of vines is hard because of the sandtrap things.
In the ledges level, since I could never find the way I just jumped over ledges just like the acid pits in aztec temple.
The temple is actually one of my favorite levels, mostly because it was so misterious and there were virtually no similarities between it and the rest of the game. I worked out the stone puzzle by axident as well, and wondered why I couldn't figure it out again;but later I figured out exactly how it's done.
SPOILERS on next line!
Collect exactly 8 stones and place them in a bowl on the alter

End of spoiler
The level after it was my second favorite; It actually had people in it! Real characters! since when does an audio game have more than 1 or 2 characters? This I think is a first time!
Took me a while to beat the last 3 levels.
Over all, both monkey business and Teraformers have 2 things in common:
* they are great games;
* they have bugs in them!

Official server host for vgstorm.com and developer of the Manamon 2 netplay server.
PSA: sending unsolicited PMs or emails to people you don't know asking them to buy you stuff is disrespectful. You'll just be ignored, so don't waste your time.

2007-05-08 15:03:00

Hi.
Thanks for reading my walkthrough, Engrishman.

Yeah Trajectory, this game has lots of bugs!

V

2007-05-09 01:37:38

like what bugs?

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2007-05-09 15:02:35

For example, if you play the game for a while, it will slow down. Or in the bonus level, you can never seam to catch a monkey, and if you do, you obtain no points.
And when I'm on level 6 and dies, the next time I play I'm transported to level 7, but if I restart the game, it's level 6 again.

V

2007-05-09 18:44:49

Also, in the campsite level, if you reach coordinates 0:0 or 0:1(I think) you will be transported to the next level, but the sound of the campfire will still be audible until you quit the game.