2007-05-05 20:47:57

I'e heard some people say SL is kinda challenging which is a good thing.  I hoe it's a game that'll take me a while to beat.  For those of you who have it, even if it is relatively easy to beat, is it a game that will get you to play through it again een after you've beaten it.  For me several NES and SNES games are that way.

What do you think makes SL a good game.  I knew I wanted to buy a game and I couldn't decide whether to get this or Ten Pin Alley.  It was kinda hard to pass up the $20 price for SL though.

Brian

2007-05-06 01:50:35

SuperLiam is fairly innovative in the industry, in that there really aren't too many games that act quite the same way (that is, act like full 2d side-scrollers with hazards on both sides). I myself got used to it quite quickly and can usually go through a typical game in a short amount of time, but i it'll definitely keep you on your toes till you master its fine points.
The only small gripe I have is that everything is fixed. That is, the hazards and enemies and ambushes all happen in precisely the same fashion every time, so it's possible to just breeze your way through as long as you're careful. Stupid fireballs! *lol*

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2007-05-06 03:53:59

Slight
spoilers
Ahead

Cycle-bot is really quite easy. When he gets sort of near you, jump up and toward him. You'll land just over his head if you make sure to tap the corresponding arrow-key a few times. The instant you land, spin around and hammer your laser. He'll whirl and charge, repeat ad infinitum. I can finish him off without being hit every time. I think if Liam ever for some reason decided to make a new difficulty for SuperLiam, he could make one really interesting tweak. Can you imagine facing seven cycle-bots at once, that could either hop over each other (to avoid crashing and to potentially bounce you out of the air) or that could fire projectiles? *grins* That, my friends, would be fun.

Andy: it's not advisable to even hint about ripping game developers off. Not only is the act itself unsavoury, but the statement of the fact can potentially get you in some trouble.

As for the bonus level? There's only one, repeated twice in the game on different levels, and to  access it you do the following:
Slight
Spoilers
Ahead

Get to the first drain in either Suburban Streets, Act II or Waterworks, Act II. Get right to the edge of the pit, jump up, and hit your right-arrow three times. Not four and not two, but three. A funny voice will say "It's bonus time!" if you do it right. If you do it wrong, you're going down the drain in the worst way.

2007-05-06 06:25:26

First off, headphones/good speakers are basically a must.
Second off, you listen. You can hear the rumble of his bike as it moves. If he's coming at you from right to left, jump him and land behind him. For a few moments he'll still be going left, away from you, then will come back right again. If you want, you can bait him by standing still till he starts to come closer, and then when he's at a fair distance start running backward. Run till he gets really close, hop straight up, land, spin and shoot him in the back while he's still driving away. When he spins and charges toward you again, shoot him till he's close, hop vertical, land behind him, pivot and do it all again.

2007-05-06 06:58:16 (edited by arjan 2007-05-06 06:58:59)

was a little confusing for me, but i think i do the same thing. i chase him around. when i hear him at the right i jump left when he's really close. i shoot a few times then jump to the left, but not so much that he can still crush me. then when he is safely to the left of me i chase him thus, running left, all the while trying to score more hits. repeat this until you die.
about the seven cycble bots: yes! Just yes!
i agree fullyon the randomness part of the game. i'll have to be careful here because there's an ambus, oh and when i grab that health boost there'll be an ambush of water rats. it should be changed. not other levels, but completely random levels.there should be space between hazards though, at least x steps between hazard A and hazard B, to avoid unbeatable levels, has has been said before.
edit: i really, really hope that l-works will be working on sl2 now that judgment day is out the door.

2007-05-06 14:46:08

as to why he buys it nd doesn't crack it, because he wants to support the developer. he wants Liam to continue making cool games. you'll have to play a role as well, supporting the developer, so we can pla new games and not stick to old ones.

2007-05-06 16:13:08

Hmmm, as far  as the randomness of enemies and the hazards in the game, it'd be cool, but do any mainstream side scrollers have that?  Super Mario Bros is the same every time, yet I still enjoy playing it from time to time.  I hope SL will have the same affect on me, not like MB which when I beat it I thought that's the end?  There's only 10 levels in it, although some of them did take a while to beat.  Now, what to do about that jet ski bonus level!  I still can't figure that out. LOL

As I said, I thought about buying Ten Pin Alley because I want an accessible sports simulation game, and TPA's the only one out there that's not free (I'm not a big fan of kitchensinc games).  Well...there's also Goalball One on One, which I also thought about but decided against because I thought $30 was too much for a game where you just press 1 2 and 3 for everything, even though it has actual commentaries, much like many mainstream sports games have now.  I may also get Judgement Day, but I already have Alien Outback to cover that genre, so I'll wait until I beat that first.  I can't get past those dumb yellow ships on level 5.  Anyway this is getting slightly off topic. LOL

And yes, I do want Liam to keep making cool games.  He's my favorite audio game developer right now. I've also met him and he's a really cool guy.

And I second the wish for SL2!

Brian

2007-05-06 16:45:00 (edited by arjan 2007-05-06 16:46:31)

Just a question - do all audio games have to be exactly like mainstream games? a bit of uniqueness or difference would do no harm i suppose.
i mean... mainstream side scrollers are not random, so what? sl is o mainstream game. it's the main annoyance i have with it. i would probably play it some more if there was actua randomness really but that's just what i like.

2007-05-07 01:57:57

You're talking to someone who can beat the game with less than three hits, usually. If I get unlucky, I sometimes get pegged a couple of times in Lethal Lab or in the Silver Spaceship fights, but not often.
The boss in act 5 is really easy, actually. Just learn to duck.
ASs long as you time the fireballs in level 4,  it's quite simple. The only suggestion I have is that when you get close to a pit and hear yourself walking in mud, duck/stay still. A lot of times, enemies will be standing across pits too, so if you stay still long enough you'll be able to snipe them across the pits, then hop to safety after all the fireballs have passed harmlessly overhead. Level 4 was really tricky the first time I went through it, and the second time, but now it's a snap.

2007-05-07 06:36:14

I never had any problem with the mud sound. As I said...headphones are a real plus. I think it's fairly apt, to be honest. Just remember that it's two steps of mud, then a pit of approximately five squares of fire, then two more steps of mud. Mud is 100 percent safe.

2007-05-07 11:08:55

Hi,
To get cycle-bot i found an easy way, run to the extreme right and wait for him coming, then when he is trundling towards you from the left plug-im a couple of times and jump in the air when he's right ontop of you.
Then when you land and he is retreating just plug-im some more!
I found it to be the easiest way f trashing him.
I think that lavalakes are the hardest aside from lethal lab ii of course,
Spoilers
those pits right after the lasers really came as a surprise, it took me weeks to get past them.
best reg, hth.

Pay my respects to grace and virtue,
Send my condolences to good,
Hear my regards to soul and romance,
They always did the best they could.

2007-05-07 12:45:41

you could just replace the sounds in the step folder. you could mod it this way as well.

2007-05-07 22:45:08 (edited by Trajectory 2007-05-07 22:47:45)

Jayde wrote:

You're talking to someone who can beat the game with less than three hits, usually. If I get unlucky, I sometimes get pegged a couple of times in Lethal Lab or in the Silver Spaceship fights, but not often.

You and Me, Man!
We should both produce recordings of the game and see who has the better one(takes less damage and completes the game faster).
I think we will be deadlocked as I've played the game through at least 30 times.
Are you up to it?

Official server host for vgstorm.com and developer of the Manamon 2 netplay server.
PSA: sending unsolicited PMs or emails to people you don't know asking them to buy you stuff is disrespectful. You'll just be ignored, so don't waste your time.

2007-05-07 22:47:21

Well, I'd have to dig out my unlock code or whatnot and reinstall, because I think I might have uninstalled.
Other than that: I have no recording device and literally no knowledge of how to do such a thing. I'm not always lightning-fast, but I get the job done. Therefore, you could probably do a faster run, but I could probably avoid virtually all damage.

2007-05-07 22:51:30

I've never been able to avoid the last dog in lava lake: act 1.
He hits me every time just after I jump that casm.
Every time I've played, he's always hit me.
The other place is the last "Intruder detected" in silver spaceship: act 1.
I get hit about 50 percent of the time.
Otherwise I can't think of anything else that causes damage to me.
What if I sent you my recording;just tell me if you have been able to beat my time and/or amount of damage.

Official server host for vgstorm.com and developer of the Manamon 2 netplay server.
PSA: sending unsolicited PMs or emails to people you don't know asking them to buy you stuff is disrespectful. You'll just be ignored, so don't waste your time.

2007-05-08 00:50:56 (edited by Trajectory 2007-05-08 00:53:21)

What's wrong with the mud sound?
Yeah, I'll post the link to my recording when I get it fineshed and uploaded.
PS:
"Trajectory" is spelled
T R A J E C T O R Y,
Not T R A G E C T O R Y
No offence...

2007-05-09 04:54:48

You run. You run so far away.
Seriously though? I'm not kidding. They're wolves or something, big ferocious beasts that'll tear you apart. When you start hearing them, you're on safe ground. Run like your hair's on fire and your clothes are catching!

Andy: please, please, PLEASE...easy on the random rambly off-topic posts. I'm certain you're not the only one, not by far, but you're definitely the most prolific. And while I'm not a real booger about this sort of thing (and not an admin, so this is by no means an official warning)...I would go out on a limb, now, to say I think there might be a few things you could do well to learn about board etiquette. You're better than once you were, but still have a few things left to brush up on.

2007-05-09 13:49:53

yep they arebig dogs. tey take hundreds of shots to kill so the onlyway you're going to have them killed is by cheating. i killed 'em by doing that, but there's really no other way for you to kill 'e.

2007-05-09 18:51:12

I've never had trouble with them. Just run or jump to the end.
Gives me an idea though:
what if you keep shooting them until they get too close to you, then retreat back a fiew firepits and then start shooting again.
Wonder if you could have them killed before you get back to the beginning of the level again.

2007-05-10 01:07:25

There is no bonus in level 4.
it's only in level 2 and 6.
I have to leave now but I'll do the recorded run-through tonight. I'll have it up no later than tomorrow.
for the dog things at the end of level 4, just keep running. if you don't stop running they are often unnotused. If they still give you trouble then you can try jumping;get's you there a lot faster.

2007-05-10 06:28:30

You run like the bloody wind, and you don't stop. Thankfully, there aren't many pits.
A real easy way to outdistance something chasing you is to do the run-and-hop technique (that is, jump up and then hammer the heck out of your right-arrow key). You'll basically cover anywhere from seven to twelve squares a jump, I think, in the space it would take you to run five or so.

2007-05-11 17:41:57

For the moment I'm stuck in lava lake act 2.  I made it to the volcano escape, but it saved with only 1 life left and I got sick of going through the menu just to play the level again, so I started over and am on lava lake act 2.  It's alot harder than I thought!

Brian

2007-05-11 18:50:49

When you get to the Volcano Escape, run like crazy and jump over the pits. Just don't forget about the troopers. Actually the one I find harder is the Water Escape one because of those damn fans! I usually find it helpful to turn the background music all the way down so I can hear how close I am to them. The same trick has proven useful in the Volcano Escape as well.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2007-05-11 23:55:58

Bryan, I agree completely on the fans as I am now up to the water escape, though I used the bonus level in act 2.  I think I remember reading that act 2 is alot harder than act 1, and it took me a while to get through it thanks to the dumb fans.  And I hate the sound when they chop you up. LOL  The music in Water Works is my favoritein the game.  Maybe if I get really stuck, I might have to go grab that excellent FAQ you did.

Brian

2007-05-12 02:50:11

hey guys
I heard about the bonis level for the suburban streets act 2, but what are the other ones?
as for the volcanoe escape yeah, just use the jump and fly thing
thats wat I did

Connor