2007-03-21 19:13:16

My husband is legally blind and has motor/mobility deficits all resulting from a brain tumor. His OT wants him to try out some games to work on coordination, etc. He can use a joystick or a one-button input. Keyboard is really difficult for him.

Any game recommendations? He was a big gamer prior to his vision issues. Loves space invaders type games and first person shooter. Hates navigating long mazes in adventure type games.

It would be great if there was something that the sighted could play along w/ him if that's possible. That would make it better for his OT and or his loving family :-) to play w/ him.

I'd GREATLY appreciate your help.

2007-03-21 21:59:49 (edited by Shin_Goenitz 2007-03-21 22:01:13)

Hmm, I don't know a game you can play with others. But if he likes Space Invaders games, he can either try dark Destroyer from http://www.pb-games.com it's a free game, and it's a Space invaders-type game.
There are more such games, but are to tired writing them down now, maybe later.

V

2007-03-21 22:39:28 (edited by dark empathy 2007-03-21 23:19:33)

Hello Cfriedma.

I'm really sorry to here about your husband. I'm afraid making game recommendations might be slightly difficult, sinse I personally have litle knolidge or expertees when it comes to other difficulties with gaming like Motor or mobility issues.

I would however advise you to ask on the forum at Game accessibility.com, a site dedicated to various accessibility related issues in gaming, with people who can hopefully give more general advice about issues such as keyboard accessibility in games. I believe there are various pieces of hardware available which can map certain keyboard functions onto more easily useable buttons or the mouse. Sinse many audio games, ----- including Dark destroyer which shin Goenitz mentioned above, use only a few keyboard keys, these kinds of things might be helpful.

You mention that your husband is able to use a joystick. While many audio games can be played via a joystick, most require use of multiple buttons on the joystick as well as moving the stick itself. In a space invaders game for example, you'd move your player with the joystick and use other buttons to shoot, activate different weapons, speak various in game info etc. If this is alright,then there are quite a few audio games which would be playable. In the space-invaders genre, there's troopanum 2 by Bsc games or Alien outback by Draconis Entertainment, to name but a few. I'd highly recommend the most recently developed space-invaders game, Judgement day by L-works, not only does it feature extensive unlockable game content and quite a range of difficulty modes, but it is also playable using a mouse which might be a possible alternative if your husband doesn't find using joysticks with multiple buttons a reasonable option.

finally, the free game Access invaders offers a range of different controle schemes and customizations which might be useful.

As to 3d Fps games, there are several available, but most require fairly extensive use of a joystick's buttons. If this is okay, you might considder investigating Shades of doom from Gma games, an audio game in the style of original Doom which also features symple black on white graphics. Then there is the audio quake project, an attempt to make the quake game engine accessible through audio. What the controls in audio Quake are like I'm afraid I don't know, sinse I haven't got around to trying the game, but you can find out more on the Agrip site

though most audio games do not feature graphics, Terraformers from Pin interactive features the normal graphics of a 3D fps game, but is entirely playable just using the audio. Sinse this is also a game I haven't investigated fully though, I'm again uncertain as to how the controls work.

Speaking of controls, there is only one audio one switch game I know, Tampokme, the audio multiplayer one switch mosquito eater, a free and symple game in which you control a carnivorous plant. you can Directly download the game here

apart from Terraformers mentioned above, not many audio games feature graphics I'm afraid. Shades of doom, and Packman talks (an audio adaptation of the classic arcade game), feature high contrast white on black block graphics, as does Sarah and the castle of Witchcraft and Wizardry, a 3D puzle and adventure game produced by Pcs games (if your husband is a Harry potter fan and okay with multiple button joysticks, I can absolutely recommend this one).

then, there's the Sonic Zoom game, a free and symple racing game developed by Sounds like fun, which again features graphics, but is playable just using audio.
Various games produced by The american printing house for the blind also apparently feature high contrast graphics, though as i seem to have trouble running these games, I can't say what the control or gameplay is like.

You mention that your husband is "Legally blind" if he stil has some useable vision, I can highly recommend the free game Archaist. this is a remake of the C64 game Pase maker. It's a scrolling shooter with strategical and item collecting elements, which may be played with 1 or 2 players. though it isn't an audio game, it does feature a host of options to customize the game in various ways. These include the option of extremely high contrast graphics with several colour sets, the use of Microsoft Sapi to speak all in game menues and text, many alternative control schemes including 1 key and mouse only, and the ability to easily customize just about all aspects of gameplay, such as game speed, the frequency, number and type of enemies, amount of extra lives and more!

If you'd like to know more about Archaist, your welcome to mail me off list (I was a beta tester for the game), my address is dark at x g a m dot org.

I hope some of these links and other information has been useful to you.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-03-21 22:46:56

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I will keep reading (and downloading)!

Cindy

2007-03-21 23:22:51

Ooopse! sorry about the re-eddits, I kept thinking of things to add there. then, I spent so much time trauling my favourites list and constructing nice links in bbcode I completely forgot that other people would be replying in the mean time.

Memo to self, make shorter posts!

Second memo to self, find first memo!

third memo to self, this post is getting too long!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-03-22 13:38:01

hehehe.
if you don't care to pay a little extra you can try troopanum 2, very challenging and it works with a joystick. in fact, all bsc games (www.bscgames.com) work with joysticks.

2007-03-22 15:41:40 (edited by cx2 2007-03-22 15:43:54)

Other options might be:
Drive, a very basic driving game that is purely audio as far as I know and only requires two buttons to be used.

Depending on as already mentioned just how much trouble joysticks with multiple buttons are then maybe consider the car racing game Top Speed 2, which can be played in multiplayer but is again audio only so can be tricky to learn for those with vision and not used to audio games.

Both are free, and should be in the games list here since I don't recall the web addresses right now.

And I don't know how much audio quake has altered, but I know the original mainstream Quake could pretty much "bind" any function to any control thus if you do some research a joystick may very well be possible. Not sure how practical it would be, and this is most certainly multiplayer with graphics.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-03-22 16:36:30

good Idea Cx2, I didn't think of those.

you can download Topspeed 2 from the Playing in the dark website. various extras for the game are also available, such as extra tracks and cars, and it is also possible to connect to games and race other people over the internet.

As to Drive, I'm not certain where you can download the game, but you can play it directly online, here in the Audio games playcenter.

Again, hope this helps.

2007-03-23 09:19:52 (edited by cx2 2007-03-23 09:23:16)

Ten Pin Alley is another good suggestion I hadn't thought of. When in the game you only really need one key and have to time it right, and can play it with a friend but again still audio.

In a similar tack perhaps the ESP Pinball games might be good? Again a minimum of keys to use, perhaps one or two at most.

Both can be bought from www.dracoent.com and have demos available.

I haven't come across any audio games that are vastly expensive though, at least compared to the mainstream. Expensive for what they are, perhaps... but expensive for a game, no.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-03-23 11:34:26 (edited by dark empathy 2007-03-23 11:49:01)

Ten pin alley is indeed a good suggestion as well. I did considder the pin ball games myself, however it struck me how accessible the pinball games would be depends heavily upon the table. While a couple of tables use only the space bar, some use both the left and right ctrl keys, the shift key, and a couple require the curser keys as well (especially when it comes to minigames).

also, in both Ten Pin Alley and the pinball games, menue navigation must be done entirely with the up and down arrows and the enter key, with no alternative (such as a joystick), available, so it's possible assistance might be required with this.

In the Pinball games, this might present more of a problem sinse the games can be quite short, particularly if your like me and prone to lose a lot of balls, and restarting requires the menue (or at least use of the enter key).

In the Ten Pin alley game though, games are a good deal longer, (especially if you decide to buy the game), and that game is multiplayer anyway.

as regards price Cx2, the very few graphical games I've investigated, produced by small developement companies or single individuals the way most audio games are, actually seem to be about the same in price.

A nice free alternative to the ten pin alley game might be Crazy Darts from Bsc. It's an extremely symple, single player, rack up the score style game, and doesn't have half as rich or interesting an audio ambience, but it certainly maybe played with only one key.

2007-03-25 19:24:08 (edited by dark empathy 2007-03-26 05:46:08)

To Clarrify, Hunter is an arcade action game comprising 10 different tasks carried out in various scenarios. It deffinatelyb has joystick support, however some of the scenarios do require a large amount of multiple button pressing, or a certain number of button presses carried out quickly, ------ for example in the jungle stage, dependent upon difficulty, you have to targit and shoot enemies one, two, three, or five times, and sinse missing the enemy takes away from your score, this has to be done fairly precisely.

Other scenarios require a couple of buttons to be pressed quickly in sequence, so in the fishing stage, you throw out your net with one button, and pull it back with another.

I might well be wrong about this, but it just occured to me that somebody with motor issues might find these sorts of things more difficult.

And Bsc's other major games, the Pipe games, are imho even more problematic in these respects.

I'm sorry if this sounds negative, and it's entirely possible (sinse I lack any sort of knolidge about game difficulties other than site), that I'm completely wrong. This is merely what my intuitiontells me.

2007-03-26 05:47:09 (edited by dark empathy 2007-03-26 05:48:04)

Oooopse! don't know how I got that one confused. Probably thinking of treasure mania. Thanks for pointing this out.

I've now edited my post appropriately.