2007-03-18 12:12:47

Greetings all.
I am in the very early stages of planning an audio game. It is to be a commercial release, as well as a cut down free version.

I am wondering how much people are prepared to pay at a maximum for a game, given that you have heard a game trailler, and listened to a review of the game, and given that the game audio and music is of high quality?

Having an idea of what people are prepared to pay may be able to help me work out just how much I need to invest in various resources to achieve a game release.

Your thoughts are most welcome, oh and even though there is a story line, I am not saying another word until I am at the stage of launching the website, which in itself is still a fair way off, so don't question me.

Thanks for your time.

2007-03-18 12:22:16 (edited by DavyKager 2007-03-18 12:22:59)

I would pay a maximum of some $37,50 USA. But I think it's better to sell at a lower price (and sell more copies) rather than selling at a higher price (and sell less copies).

Oh, I'd love to be betatester. smile

2007-03-18 15:17:37

It all depends upon the size of the game and its content, really.
I personally wouldn't pay for an arcade-style shooter like Dark Destroyer, because once you beat fifteen waves of enemy ships the game is over. All you can do is shoot for high scores. This is, of course, meant as absolutely no offense to anyone who either develops or enjoys such games, and indeed, those types aren't bad...just not something I'd pay for.
On the other hand, a game with a rich sound environment, multiple levels, its own voice-acting, extensive exploration and whatnot? I would probably pay well for a game like that (twenty to fifty American dollars, depending on the life of the product). This is to say: If the game will keep me occupied for a day or two, but is still cool, I'd be apt to go toward the lower end of that range, whereas if the game was something large and/or difficult/time-consuming...something that might be even better because there are multiple different ways to go through or multiple endings after a lot of work I'd be interested in paying more.
I also take into account the developer, if possible. If a developer creates a game that took only minimal work, I will be less apt to wish to pay a high price for it. A higher price should reflect not only a large game, but a well-made one.

Now...all that out of the way...I won't ask about your up-and-coming game but I -am curious. I also won't offer to be a beta-tester, should you decide to employ any, although my knowledge of certain games (and accessible games in general) is fairly vast...I can't code a whit yet in anything that matters but I do know how to bug-hunt. I will, however, concur with the previous poster. When deciding how best to price your product, keep in mind that you -do wish to sell, so you'll have to find a price that the majority of your consumers are willing or happy to pay.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2007-03-18 17:29:20 (edited by dark empathy 2007-03-18 17:38:43)

Generally speaking I agree with Jayde, but I myself don't really have any hard and fast rules about game buying.

I'm more inclined to buy audio games anyway because I like to support the devs, but the more expensive the game, the more factors must be taken into account before I buy it.

things I considder include: a game's plot and complexity, if there are exploration elements, whether extra content (user created levels etc), is available, how varied the modes and choices in gameplay are, if a game has ongoing in game plot or not, how many possible goals etc there are in the game besides just accumulating score, how long it will take me to complete the game, how rich a game's audio is, the game's atmosphere, how generic the sound effects are, whether a game uses human or synth speech, how the game stacks up against similar free or commercial games, whether the game is available via download, and if the game's demo is replayable (I am qquite willing to reconsidder my decisions on games, ---- I actually tried Trek 2000 three times before I eventually decided to buy the game).

The lower the game's price, the more allowences I will make if it fails in certain areas.

for example, I decided against buying ten pin alley because, ---- despite the very nice audio, I found the game play slightly repetitive, simply centering an audio signal as in Crazy darts from Bsc, with many extra stuff about scoring etc.

It struck me that none of the extra game options made huge amounts of difference (bowling left to right instead of right to left for instance), and anyway, the ultimate end of the game is just a continual match winning scenario which personally doesn't appeal to me, and unfortunately sinse it's usually me that visits my friends rather than the other way round, I couldn't make extensive use of the various multi player options.

If the game had worked out at about 7 pounds, fifteen dollars or so, I would probably have bought it.

Similarly, because the level layout doesn't change, and the gameplay is the same from stage to stage (no extra weapons etc), I haven't yet bought packman talks, though it's possible if the game's price drops in the future that I will.

A game would have to be very good indeed for me to considder paying over about 40 usd, ----- or about 25 pounds in my case, and I physically don't know if I'd be willing to go up to about 50 usd for a game.

As a rough price guide to audio games, you might find this list from Pcs games to be helpful.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-03-18 23:00:35

Thanks all for your input. You all raise some valid points. I have decided to disclose just a little about what type of game it would be, to see if it makes you think again about what your expectations are, as this type of game has yet to be done in the audio games world, as far as I know.

It will be........... A one on one beat-em-up fighting game, similar to street fighter/mortal kombat. It will be two dimentional, and will be side-on, so one can hear positioning of both characters.

So let me know what you think.

Thanks again.

2007-03-19 02:45:59

Well, it would still depend on the depth of the game.
A few valid questions follow. Please understand that in no way am I asking that these questions be answered publicly.

How many characters?
How complex are the movesets and how are they executed?
How complex is the fighting engine itself?
Are there any unlockables? Voices, profiles, demos, videos, sound clips, trailers, finishing moves, special moves, arenas, deathtraps, weapons, storylines?
Is there a story mode that can/should be finished with each playable character with different results?
Are there varying degrees of difficulty?
Is the game voice-acted and does it contain both accurate and well-rendered audio effects to enhance playability to the maximum?

The more questions in this list that have a potential "yes" answer, the more in-depth a game you're looking at. The price I would pay for a game like this will depend almost entirely on the answers to most of these questions.
If it's a game like Tournament with a couple extra tweaks, I won't bother; if it's a full-on arcade-style 2d fighting game with unlockables and a lot of depth and a good fighting engine, I'll definitely be keeping an eye on you.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2007-03-19 04:58:19

I agree with Jade about pricing. That's the major thing I don't like about Bavisoft. You pay in excess of forty bucks and you get a game you can literally finish in less than a day. The higher difficulty only makes this time longer because of the fighting scenes. All they do is add a couple extra positions where the bad guys can attack you. On the whole, not exactly satisfying. But I probably will still purchase Chillingham 2 if and when it comes out, if for no other reason than to find out how it all turns out.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2007-03-19 05:58:33

Muso, I'd also be interested in the answers to some of Jayde's questions, though of course what information you release is up to you.

thus far, the closest things to audio beat em ups have been
Tournament by Bpc and The Savage gambit by Fantasy Storm, ---- unfortunately no longer available though someone might have a copy.

Neither has really got things right I feel though.

Realistically, if I was paying a reasonable amount of money, over 15 dollars for an audio game, I'd be looking for something at least as complex as Streetfighter 2 the world Warrior, Primal rage or Mortal Kombat 1.

Ie, 7 or 8 selectable characters with at least unique specials, a good back story, a number of different environments to fight in (knockoffs, deathtraps etc optional), variable difficulty, and either unique endings for each character or a story mode with cut scenes etc, ----- I've always enjoyed replaying something like Street fighter just to get all the endings.

I'm sorry if these seem unusually high expectations, but as you can probably gather, I've been plaing beat em ups for quite a long time, ----- something like 18 or 19 years now. I would be very interested in the developement of a true audio beat em up.

If your mailing announcements, or would like in put such as beta testing etc, please E-mail me on dark at x g a m dot org.
I might also be able to help in the matter of voice acting if you wish, ----- though it sounds like the game's developement is pretty much sorted from what you've said.

brian, I actually was rather disappointed with Chillingham, mostly because of the story and as you say, the difficulty (or lack there of). However I did enjoy the voice acting and audio in Both Chillingham and Grizly, and buying the two pack deal I actually got both games cheaper at 30 usd, ----- which is certainly a price I would've payed for Chillingham.

If I had vaguely been sensible with buying Gma games, I would've gone for their deal to buy all five games for about 80 dollars, including packman talks, sinse getting it at that price lumped in with the other four would've been fine, I've now unfortunately spend even more than that on the other four games over the course of a year or so which certainly wasn't clever.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-03-19 08:36:37

this sounds like a really good game.
i agree that the game sounds good, but if it is so good depends on the depth as jade said. I'd like multiple characters, it would be cool if there was some multiplayer over the internet feature (although as a first audiogame, this would be a little tricky).
I'm at least very impressed that there is once again going to be an attempt, and hopefully a successful one, at making a beat em up game similar to street fighter.
that's all.
kind regards,

2007-03-19 09:15:25

Thanks all for your points of view. Many of the questions put forward are indeed being considered, although I will not yet reveal what, as the game is still in the plan/design phase. The two biggest tasks in this are the fighting engine itself, and the artificial intelligence (AI), so it still may be quite a while before even an alpha is produced. It will be released when its ready.

Thanks again.

2007-03-20 08:48:17

well artificial intelligence is already somebody in rail racer. not sure but you might wanna reconsider the name

2007-03-20 08:52:28

By artificial intelligence, I am referring to how the computer can play against you, and appear to counteract what you are doing.

2007-03-20 18:48:17

In other words, he didn't say the game was called AI he was referring to the AI in the game.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-03-21 14:13:37

ok, i thought there was a character with that name in the game... sorry.

2007-03-21 15:21:51

No problem. Perhaps to prevent similar missunderstandings, it'd be a good idea to only refer to the opponent in Rale racer as "Art" as che does in the review in future, sinse artificial inteligence or Ai is something we'll probably be discussing a lot with relation to gaming.